Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2019 4:31:22 AM EDT
I'm starting a business which requires me to work with/ store oxygen displacing gas. I am going to do a lot with sensors and ventilation but I am considering a SCUBA set up for emergency.

I don't plan to do diving... Any idea where to start?

Thanks for your expertise, in advance
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 4:35:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#2]
so no U

Ok.

Who teaches that? Any pointers?

Honestly that is helpful.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 4:46:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Self-contained Breathing Apparatus SCBA

If you are working with the substances you are talking about, it might be smart to get some sort of HAZMAT training.

Not really part of the SCUBA forum but look into Firefighter and Hazmat training at the local community college.
Also if at a fixed site, supplied air might be a thing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 5:20:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I wasnt trying to be snide. The ommision of the U really helps hone in what I ought to be looking for when doing my research. I appreciate it.

It honestly likely wont be an issue. Argon and nitrogen (liquid evap) gas. They will kill you dead, though only in the most catastrophic of failures  in the concentrations I am looking to use.

HAZMAT isnt a bad idea. I'll look into that.

Thank you both very much. will update.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
What you are lookibg for is a SCBA similar to this.

They are made by numerous companies like Scott, Ranger and MSA and can be bought with no training required, but that is a dumb idea.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What you are lookibg for is a SCBA similar to this.

They are made by numerous companies like Scott, Ranger and MSA and can be bought with no training required, but that is a dumb idea.
View Quote
just because of price?

If it is overkill I'm open to alternative ideas. I'd just like to have a way to retrieve a person who is succumbing to oxygen displacement.

Someone who works with a gas detection company messaged me about some sort of emergency escape thing, I may give them a call this upcoming week.

Edit: I just re-read and you're right ajm1911, this forum is for underwater. I apologize. Seems like the right people to talk to, so far though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#7]
You want training with an SCBA because you need to know how to safely fit it and use it. There are pressure concerns, volume and filling concerns, fit, liability, etc. It's not like anyone can pick one up, throw on the mask and be fine. You need to know what you're doing.

You don't want an escape hood type of device unless it actively generates oxygen. Escape hood for things like fire and CBRN don't create oxygen, they simply filter out the bad stuff.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

just because of price?

If it is overkill I'm open to alternative ideas. I'd just like to have a way to retrieve a person who is succumbing to oxygen displacement.

Someone who works with a gas detection company messaged me about some sort of emergency escape thing, I may give them a call this upcoming week.

Edit: I just re-read and you're right ajm1911, this forum is for underwater. I apologize. Seems like the right people to talk to, so far though.
View Quote
SCBA is the the best way to effect rescue in a situation like you describe, but you need training to do it properly.

Any monkey can put on a SCBA, don the mask and go rushing in, but what happens when the mask gets knocked askew and you have to purge it of hazardous gas? There are specific techniques to do that.

What about when you stay to the normal limit of the tank and have to activate the emergency system?Do you know how or does it even have one?

There are also OSHA requirements that you have to meet, depending on your industry.

Best thing to do is contact a safety equipment company and see what they offer in terms of equipment and training.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#9]
There is probably a company or companies in your area that can test, train and supply/fill you with what you will need.

Everywhere I have worked that requires supplied air or scba (even a respirator) requires a medical test and a fit test. They will also teach you how to use it.

I have spent a lot of time working on supplied air from a cascade with a 5 min spare air hanging off me. It sucks.

There are also 5 or 10 min rescue air packs that are basically a plastic bag hood that goes over your head.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is probably a company or companies in your area that can test, train and supply/fill you with what you will need.

Everywhere I have worked that requires supplied air or scba (even a respirator) requires a medical test and a fit test. They will also teach you how to use it.

I have spent a lot of time working on supplied air from a cascade with a 5 min spare air hanging off me. It sucks.

There are also 5 or 10 min rescue air packs that are basically a plastic bag hood that goes over your head.
View Quote
I will contact the fellow who messaged me then when I have some time. I appreciate both of your insight (everyone who has commented for that matter.) I am looking to do something new and I am just trying to get oriented in the right direction before I begin travel (not die along the way, too.)

Thanks for all your time.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#11]
If you don’t know or fully understand the safety implications, you need to hire someone that does or get a consultant.

Depending on your state, you may have a state equivalent OSHA that may have a training/education division you can look to for guidance. Federal is really more enforcement than anything else.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Really it is just the scba I am needing to learn about but agree 100% about seeking guidance.

Safe storage and handling of materials I understand, but how to operate a scba and whatnot, no so much.
I am branching out on my own, but that doesn't mean I am totally uninformed.

As I have said the concentrations in the space I am working in should never be an issue but some of these gasses pool and can be localized if there is insufficient air circulation to diffuse it/ ventilate it.
However at the same time the danger of this sort of thing cannot be understated.

I plan to use locking wire storage cabinets with chemical hood w/  specific gas sensors over them. o2 depletion sensors near work station. individual worn o2 depletion sensors. non sparking (not needed but why not) ventilation with automatic and manual activation tied to a central gas sensor. man down technology (which at first I'll need a relay.) blah blah blah. I don't meant to be flippant but there is just a whole host of considerations I am not going to enumerate now (better to save my wind for a professional who can advise me.)
Anyway argon gas is for heat treating metals and Ln2 for cryogenic. The biggest danger is the Dewar off-gassing or argon leaking into the area. all things considered as long as a safety protocol is developed and proper safety equipment (properly installed and set up as well) everthing should be fine.

This is beyond the scope of the SCUBA forum but I agree 100%, I will inquire into finding a company to consult with/ develop a PO.
I still haven't written back the nice fellow who messaged me :/ I'll have to get on top of that.

Thanks again. everyone.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#13]
There are some nice carbon fiber tanks out there that aren’t wildly expensive. A good vendor can set you up with a good system. Don’t forget that your SCBA will need periodic maintenance and inspection that isn’t cheap.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top