Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2020 10:08:25 PM EDT
I got a call from LG saying they need to come update the software in my 5 year old LMXS30776S. It is a refrigerator.  

I see nothing online.

Does this sound real and what are they updating it for? Made in 6/2015.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Bought a house last year with all new lg appliances, only thing I havent replaced yet is the dishwasher. Not impressed
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thocomehome:
Bought a house last year with all new lg appliances, only thing I havent replaced yet is the dishwasher. Not impressed
View Quote

The door on my lg microwave is just about falling off, only a few years old.  They replaced just about everything on the fridge under warranty though.

What software update could they possibly need to do on a 5 yr old fridge?  Did they say, does it prevent a fire, keep it under warranty or something?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I got a call from LG saying they need to come update the software in my 5 year old LMXS30776S. It is a refrigerator.  

I see nothing online.

Does this sound real and what are they updating it for? Made in 6/2015.
View Quote

The thing is yours hasn't broken yet, they're coming out to remedy that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The door on my lg microwave is just about falling off, only a few years old.  They replaced just about everything on the fridge under warranty though.

What software update could they possibly need to do on a 5 yr old fridge?  Did they say, does it prevent a fire, keep it under warranty or something?
View Quote

They did not say what the update will do and wife did not ask.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

They did not say what the update will do and wife did not ask.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Found this video OP.  Software updates for LG fridges are for real.

@HKG3S

LG Linear Compressor Software Update
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I like how she says cap-a-cit-tor.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Found this video OP.  Software updates for LG fridges are for real.

@HKG3S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFVNOpunK-M
View Quote

Wow thanks.  I googled it but did not think to check YouTube.   They replaced the compressor about 2 years ago.

Thanks again KC.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#9]
LG fridge + 5 years = get ready for compressor failure at any moment. BTDT twice.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

The thing is yours hasn't broken yet, they're coming out to remedy that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#11]
They are sending out repair men during a lockdown? Doubt it. Sounds like a scam to me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

From the LG reviews on appliances and from service companies, ^this^ is very possible.
That said we have a washer and dryer that are 10+ years old and still going. Hope I didn't just screw myself on that one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They are sending out repair men during a lockdown? Doubt it. Sounds like a scam to me.
View Quote

So plate carrier and Hawaiian shirt.  Got it!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Ricky_Spanish:
They are sending out repair men during a lockdown? Doubt it. Sounds like a scam to me.
View Quote

I'm guessing to case the joint.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:19:07 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

From the LG reviews on appliances and from service companies, ^this^ is very possible.
That said we have a washer and dryer that are 10+ years old and still going. Hope I didn't just screw myself on that one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Not a scam, it's a result of the class action lawsuit for premature linear compressor failure on LG refrigerators.  LG products suck, and their customer support is terrible.  I have been battling with them for two months on a compressor that is supposed to be fixed under warranty (refrigerator bought in 2018).  I will never, ever, ever, ever buy an LG product again.  I would build a wooden box and buy bags of ice every day before I would buy another LG refrigerator.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Ricky_Spanish:
They are sending out repair men during a lockdown? Doubt it. Sounds like a scam to me.
View Quote

Very likely NOT a scam.  Appliance repair aren't subject to any lockdown and the LG's actually can get software upgraded.  Look at my earlier post detailing the process on a LG fridge.  And no, it was not a wifi enabled fridge either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top