Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2020 11:06:08 AM EDT

Given the current situation, my department has compiled a list of Officers that are to stay home and be "on call". Because of my rank, I am considered administrative and that I am to stay at home only when needed. The guidance is that I am to not leave the house unless absolutely necessary, and I am not to go to work unless ordered in. I guess the thought process is that if a shift gets sick (Covid 19) they will have a pool of Officers that are not exposed and can cover down. Anyone else's department doing something similar?
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#1]
As State investigators we are on administrative leave on standby and for call out. Manning the office with two at a time on rotation. Still allowed to do things like spot surveillance. Did do firearms qual maintaining social distancing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:36:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Same situation here. One Detective is primary for a week. Check in but stay out of office if possible. Other is at home. Stay there for your shift unless called out. I am at home this week. Been getting some projects done around the house. Patrol is staffed but staying in field out of station if possible. Have had some weird calls. DV seems to be up. Some calls with people calling in their neighbors/vacation rentals for not following lock down orders.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope, working all my normal 12 hour patrol shifts. I am just patrol so I get no consideration on nights. Day shift is splitting shifts 2 at home two on duty with a sgt. Admin is rotating. I think the whole idea is stupid but what do I know
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 6:22:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Not a cop but that is how we are working. Stay at home until you get a call, stay away from all other employees and out of public while on shift unless assigned a job.

While we have had others at work get infected, none of us have so far after lockdown.

[honestly, I was sick as hell with every symptom of the WhuFlu about 6 weeks ago but was fine after a couple days off from work]
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:30:43 AM EDT
[#5]
The city I live in, their PD is paying two officers a weekend to stay home and only come in for an emergency.
A friend works there and I'm jealous.

Another friend works at another department and they are switching to 4 days of 12 hour shifts then 12 days off then repeat.

At my agency, all time off canceled, you are only off on your regularly scheduled days and no time off granted until further notice.
So yeah, bring all of us in and crowd us.  and we're still on rotating 8 hr shifts.

yeah.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#6]
3 senior officers in my unit are working from home. Out of the remaining 4 , I have told 2 to GTFO on a rotating basis at all times. My happy ass is desk bound and on call when off duty 24/7.

Everyone is hands off unless a forcible felony occurs in their presence. No searches & no serving warrants.

Surveillance is encouraged.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#7]
We are using the down time to bone up on training needs.  Yearly recerts done online (in the office), and active threat stuff, yearly quals, etc etc.  Everyone is still at work in our small office.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#8]
No, we are all working normal shifts, but briefing and loading up has been modified as has end of shift to comply with social distancing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#9]
We have a split admin/cid working alternate days.  2 days one week, three the next.  CID on call is still active.
Patrol and jail are having contactless shift changes.
Jail checks temperature of everyone coming into the jail....anyone with 100.5 or over is banned...inmates, staff, troopers, out of county etc...
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Normal work for us. Just changing up how we do things to social distance as much as we can and we can't travel more then 50 miles off duty or we get 14 days unpaid quarantine.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#11]
We are a 3 man dept. with a working Chief.  He works days M-F.  The other Officer and I work 12 hour shifts (Generally 1300-0100) and the other time is covered on call.  We stay out of the PD as much as possible as it is in Town Hall and who the heck knows what makes it's way in there even though it is closed to the public.  We have take home cars anyway.  I ride the cruiser and sometimes my kitchen table is my desk  for an hour or two.  Most stores are closed by 1900 around here.  Traffic is very low thanks to cooperation from the residents.  

It would be nice to get back to close to where we were a 12 hour shift is long.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 1:19:12 AM EDT
[#12]
We are getting an extra day off a week paid. We work five 8s with 2 off normally, but now were are doing 4 on 3 off. The extra day off is paid and we are "on call" if needed.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#13]
we are running under our emergency staffing plan. Normally we are 12's on the Panama rotation.

Under our emergency staffing deal, each shift loses one person and those people make up two additional shifts so we now have A, B and C rotations.

You work 4days on, 4days mandatory on call, 4 days off and then repeat.

DB and support services are working from home when possible.

J-
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#14]
We have been told to stay at home and respond from there to the greatest extent possible. But since I’m a pilot with my agency and that’s all that I do I am reactive in nature anyway so for me it’s really not much different than sitting around the hangar waiting on the phone to ring
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#15]
New order came down today. We now have to take our temp at the start of every shift and email it to the jefe and while off duty we aren't to leave our house unless absolutely necessary...yeah good luck with that one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 6:06:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
New order came down today. We now have to take our temp at the start of every shift and email it to the jefe and while off duty we aren't to leave our house unless absolutely necessary...yeah good luck with that one.
View Quote

yea we've been doing that for a month although there is no out right prohibition to leaving the house we are just advised to follow the state stay at home guidelines.

J-
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 5:57:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, I caught the rona and was told to stay home for 2 weeks. Does that count?
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Diagnosed and how’s it been so far?
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was a month ago.

Been back to work with no problems.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That was a month ago.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was a month ago.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Hell, I wished they would tell me to go home.  My department has 4 opening in a 20 man department.  One was injured during an arrest, and is out on workman's comp. The other 3 found better jobs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top