Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:25:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I’d have to check, but I’d guarantee that I’ve written less than 10 tickets this year outside of (operating w/out license due to OWI) and actual OWI’s. I just don’t write em. Most of the time it’s a conversation. I’ve given breaks to people on parole for murder and I’ve given breaks to lily white suburban moms. As long as you’re decent with me then be on your way.

But it’s almost summer time, so no time for traffic stops anyways.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:26:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Dumbest thread I’ve ever read.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:30:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Whats your wife look like?
Maybe he felt bad for you.

joking..
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:01:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hardly ever write a CCW holder because odds are they are one of the good guys. If you pull over, act respectful and don't lie to me odds are you get a warning.

I have to show a certain number of stops but they don't state how many have to be warnings or tickets. No reason to ruin a good person's day if their actions weren't endangering others and I think a warning will correct the behavior.
View Quote

This seems to be the reasoning most likely used.  Plenty of respectful people get the benefit of their demeanor.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:09:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Last Sunday I stopped a lady for 100 in a 65. She was sober and had no warrants. Verbal warning. I use my ticket book for DUI arrests and the occasional asshole.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:19:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This seems to be the reasoning most likely used.  Plenty of respectful people get the benefit of their demeanor.
View Quote

I work in a fairly rough area and so many of the people I interact with treat me like shit. They lie to me and generally don't treat me like I'm a human.

When someone owns their actions and doesn't feed me a line of bullshit they usually get cut a break.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:21:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Last Sunday I stopped a lady for 100 in a 65. She was sober and had no warrants. Verbal warning. I use my ticket book for DUI arrests and the occasional asshole.
View Quote

Isint that usually a trip to jail??
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:23:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I once got seen doing 95 over. Not sure what the trooper would have said if he had caught up .
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:29:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

And yet here you are not only reading it but posting in it.  Congratulations.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:51:24 AM EDT
[#10]
This thread is rated: .

Dumbest thread I've read.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:58:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I can tell it wasn't a VA State Trooper...
View Quote
Nor A NC one. Though at least in VA they are the police and not just traffic cops
like here.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:18:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Pulling you over was your warning, they don’t always need to be in writing.

Good Officers still use discretion.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:24:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Send me $300 and I will lecture you via email

or

maybe you weren't an ass,showed respect along with your good driving record and he cut you a break..not all cops are dicks

the 2 times I've been pulled over were at night
windows down
dome light on
keys/wallet on dash
my hands on top of the steering wheel
I showed respect and it was returned,0 tickets
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:24:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Honesty and manners go a very long way.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:32:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

That doesn't always get you out of a ticket. I am always polite and respectful to law enforcement and sometimes, I get tickets. Always face forward, both hands on wheel, yes sir, no sir etc.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:42:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Dash Cam image of OP’s interaction with LEO (as I imagine it )

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:43:53 AM EDT
[#17]
He told you why
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:52:57 AM EDT
[#18]
94-70 with a suv full of guns coming from the range 2 hours away. Female FHP took a liking to me and gave me a warning. 2nd time I've gotten good vibes froma female cop and gotten a warning.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:04:18 AM EDT
[#19]
They got me for 87 on the way to work last week.

You can go right on feeling bad about that warning.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:07:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Lockhart, TX
I got out of a speeding ticket..
From a State Trooper..
In a school zone..
In my work tractor..
Because his computer crashed.

Freak accident.  I was so fired if that computer doesn't crash.  I was 37 in a 30, didn't see the sign, and didn't even slow down when I saw him behind me.

I waved to that guy every time I saw him for the next several years.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:15:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Just slow your ass down, stop being so selfish thinking only about yourself and your little hurried life.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got those plates that say "Navy Vet".

You can go a fast as you want with those things.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:23:25 AM EDT
[#23]
He was probably fishing for big time assholes and criminals,  you were neither.  He knew he wasn't going to find a trunk full of blue meth on you once he ran your shit and talked to you.

You gave him the opening to your butthole by speeding but he must have really been looking for some different flavor of ass that day.

Consider it luck. Plenty of police like vanilla speeding tickets just fine.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:26:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just slow your ass down, stop being so selfish thinking only about yourself and your little hurried life.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I am driving to TX tomorrow and plan on trying to average 80-85 mph. I am accepting the risk of a ticket or two by my own choice. My car is more than capable to accomplish that safely and I don't text while driving. If I get pulled over I'll tell the cop that I was trying to make some time and was not driving at an unsafe speed for my vehicle or ability. After that, the ball is in their court. I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in over twenty years but I'm not gonna contest it when I know I'm speeding. If I don't get shot I'll consider it a win.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When I was a trooper I pulled over a guy in a Jaguar blowing past traffic.  He saw me and immediately slowed down.  Thing is, I couldn’t say exactly how fast he was going, but it was well over the speed limit.  I gave him a warning and asked him to please slow it down and be safe.  

Two weeks later I was having my dinner at a restaurant, asked for my check, and the waitress said it was taken care of.  On the way out the door I saw the same guy.  He waved and said “thanks again”.   Made my day.  

Most cops aren’t dicks.  Most motorists aren’t either.  It’s important to remember that all the way around, especially in this current political climate.
View Quote

Cool story bro and well said.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:35:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

No kidding. OP is all bent out of shape because he didn't get a ticket and needs "help". GTFO.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:35:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I got a warning doing over 90 in a 65.

Or so the cop said.

Never ever pull over before they turn the lights on.

Never assume they are after you till the settle in on your ass.

Pull over quickly when you know and leave room for them to safely stand next to the truck.

Have your hands on the Stearing wheel with your license and insurance along with your LTC. Engine off lights on.

You are going to get a ticket, a speed tax.

Be honest and enjoy a conversation with the officer.  Be nice

Bullshit with them if they are nice.

It’s just a speed tax.  You pay lots of tax. He is just another tax collector.

Worst case he’s an asshole.  Just shut your trap and sign on the line.

But most times I get warnings cause I’m nice and do the above.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:55:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Your lucky day OP.

My strangest "warning" I was 18 doing almost 80 in a 55 (ruralish area).  I look in my rear view mirror and see a cop car with it's lights on coming at me fast and passing a few cars.

SHIT!

I told myself I better just pull over now and make this as easy as it can be.

Cop rolls by me at 5-10 mph does the whoop whoop with the siren and then floors it.

Honestly felt like the beginning of Super Troopers lol. Was shaking a bit and spilled my pack of cigs all over the floor...doh
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:29:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That doesn't always get you out of a ticket. I am always polite and respectful to law enforcement and sometimes, I get tickets. Always face forward, both hands on wheel, yes sir, no sir etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, it doesn't but it can help sometimes. I don't know why OP thinks 18 over is a lot. We gave plenty of breaks to people going way faster than that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I can tell it wasn't a VA State Trooper...
View Quote

My immediate reaction as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've got those plates that say "Navy Vet".
You can go a fast as you want with those things.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:44:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You're right, it doesn't but it can help sometimes. I don't know why OP thinks 18 over is a lot. We gave plenty of breaks to people going way faster than that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't that long ago that 11 over would guarantee you a ticket around here, as well as 30 in a 25.  Now I'm starting to wonder what it takes to even get noticed, not that I'm complaining.  The troopers don't even stop looking at their phones when you go by doing 60 in a 45 anymore and traffic pretty regularly runs 90+ on the highways marked 65 with ZFG from the troopers running radar.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Would you have pulled over and helped him if you saw him getting his brains stomped out?  I’m guessing yes.  Maybe that’s your answer…
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:59:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Cuz despite what gets posted here cops are looking for actual badguys. Well….maybe he didn’t get the memo but who cares? He exercised discretion and you shouldn’t feel bad.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:59:33 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm not allowed to give Verbal Warnings.  I am required to document the stop and issue a written warning.

That other car that flew by would be ignored if I was still in the middle of giving a warning to the first car.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Who needs to mess with a 50 year old guy with a good driving record?

Officer used his discretion.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Why 18 over and no ticket?

Because in alot of circumstances, tickets are stupid.

Some of my coworkers just wanna write a 300 dollar ticket to some kid who is 19 years old and just wanted to drive their new civic a little fast on the interstate.  Or write the same ticket to some person who makes 12 dollars an hour and barely makes ends meet and just didnt pay attention to their speed.

Meanwhile, that same coworker just let a vehicle with occupants engaged in criminal activity with a combo of the following: felony warrants / hauling a load of dope / cloned stolen credit cards / felons with guns go down the road.

Personally I would rather address motor vehicles with occupants engaged in criminal activity and not write 300 dollar tickets to the average joe type people whose support we need.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#39]
OP
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Did your vehicle smell like weed?
Were you confrontational?
Were you a non-white?

"No" answers no doubt led to your slap on the wrist.
The race being less likely to affect your freedom, but I'm sure it is an indicator of which way the leo was going to go with this.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Chl got a break from me.  School zone was automatic ticket also though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#43]
I’ve had a ccw for 25+ years. In that time, I’ve been pulled over half dozen times and always pulled away with a verbal warning.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Because you are a good guy.
I did it all the time.??
View Quote

Simple as this.

In reality (not GD) zero revenue is generated for the city or department from a citation.

Written warnings are given to document why I stopped you and to reduce harassment complaints.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#45]
I got pulled over for doing 95 in a 55. It was late night on a 2 lane highway no other cars. I did same as you. Pulled over right away. Turned hazards on. Turned dome light on and rolled all windows down. To me i was thinking it would make the cop see that there was no threat. He asked me if i had been drinking, i hadnt been, looked at my license/insurance/registration. Saw they were all good and said "watch your speed, have a good night" and i was on my way.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Officer Discretion. he decided that you were punished enough without being cited. It's real and practiced by many Officers. I once pulled over a driver for not yielding to a fire truck on a call. was going to give him a warning until he said he was a firefighter in Illinois. So I wrote him up.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:44:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Case of black privilege?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Simple as this.

In reality (not GD) zero revenue is generated for the city or department from a citation.

Written warnings are given to document why I stopped you and to reduce harassment complaints.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did it all the time.??

Simple as this.

Sorry, but I'm calling BS on this one.  Pre-covid, tickets were a major revenue stream for local PDs around here and quotas were a real thing.  I guess uncle Joe's helicopter money is making up the difference now.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sorry, but I'm calling BS on this one.  Pre-covid, tickets were a major revenue stream for local PDs around here and quotas were a real thing.  I guess uncle Joe's helicopter money is making up the difference now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did it all the time.

Simple as this.

All the traffic tickets my department writes goes to the state school fund.  100%.  We keep none of it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yes! It's not a cop's job to ruin people's day, punish them, and/or take their money. A lot of cops still remember that you can protect and serve without being a hardass and sticking it to people at every turn.
View Quote

The VSP academy must have one of those “Men In Black” flashbulbs that wipes this memory from recruits.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top