Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/15/2021 11:58:28 PM EDT
I'm in my 50's with no moving violations. I was traveling fast admittedly. As soon as I passed him, I pulled over almost the same time he pulled out and way earlier than lights.

I thought this was it. He told me how fast I was going and asked if I had any dangerous weapons. I would say he already knew this since plates are attached to CCW. I had one in my console and under my wife's seat. He said thank you. Then he said, I'm going to give you a warning and I was like wait...why? I know crazy on my part to ask. His reply their jobs is also about educating people than just writing tickets. Funny thing is he went back to his SUV, a minute later he came running back to my car saying, here both drivers license, and he said he had to go get some other car that passed. I didn't even get a warning. It seemed the car blew by us and their infraction was greater than mine.....anyway...

Admittedly, I felt worse not getting a ticket than getting one. I know that sounds awkward. Anyway, 18 over and no ticket....why?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Admittedly, I felt worse not getting a ticket than getting one.
View Quote

I guess you’ll just have to get over it?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:01:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I got pulled over for running 97 in a 65 once. He wrote me a warning for 84 in a 65 and wrote (97!) on the top right corner of the warning paper. I was in a GSA truck so I'm pretty sure that's why I didn't go to jail.

I was very thankful.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Best check yo privilege boy
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:02:34 AM EDT
[#4]
You got off because you pulled over
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:03:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Because he knows 55 is ridiculously slow for the road and traffic at that location but he still needs to go out and call in some license plates.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:05:27 AM EDT
[#6]
The warning had the desired effect and he didn't feel the need to penalize your further. Cops (at least cops here) don't have ticket quotas but they are required to make a certain number of contacts with the public.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:07:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Because you are a good guy.
I did it all the time.??
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:07:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

As soon as I passed him, I was literally at the side of the road when he pulled out and at a stop before the lights went on.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:08:47 AM EDT
[#9]
He knew I was a CCW because it's attached to my plates. I was honest and told him where the two were...it was like....okay...
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:12:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I hardly ever write a CCW holder because odds are they are one of the good guys. If you pull over, act respectful and don't lie to me odds are you get a warning.

I have to show a certain number of stops but they don't state how many have to be warnings or tickets. No reason to ruin a good person's day if their actions weren't endangering others and I think a warning will correct the behavior.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:13:44 AM EDT
[#11]
When I was a trooper I pulled over a guy in a Jaguar blowing past traffic.  He saw me and immediately slowed down.  Thing is, I couldn’t say exactly how fast he was going, but it was well over the speed limit.  I gave him a warning and asked him to please slow it down and be safe.  

Two weeks later I was having my dinner at a restaurant, asked for my check, and the waitress said it was taken care of.  On the way out the door I saw the same guy.  He waved and said “thanks again”.   Made my day.  

Most cops aren’t dicks.  Most motorists aren’t either.  It’s important to remember that all the way around, especially in this current political climate.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:17:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When I was a trooper I pulled over a guy in a Jaguar blowing past traffic.  He saw me and immediately slowed down.  Thing is, I couldn’t say exactly how fast he was going, but it was well over the speed limit.  I gave him a warning and asked him to please slow it down and be safe.  

Two weeks later I was having my dinner at a restaurant, asked for my check, and the waitress said it was taken care of.  On the way out the door I saw the same guy.  He waved and said “thanks again”.   Made my day.  

Most cops aren’t dicks.  Most motorists aren’t either.  It’s important to remember that all the way around, especially in this current political climate.
View Quote

You’re last 3 sentences are right on target.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:17:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm in my 50's with no moving violations. I was traveling fast admittedly. As soon as I passed him, I pulled over almost the same time he pulled out and way earlier than lights.

I thought this was it. He told me how fast I was going and asked if I had any dangerous weapons. I would say he already knew this since plates are attached to CCW. I had one in my console and under my wife's seat. He said thank you. Then he said, I'm going to give you a warning and I was like wait...why? I know crazy on my part to ask. His reply their jobs is also about educating people than just writing tickets. Funny thing is he went back to his SUV, a minute later he came running back to my car saying, here both drivers license, and he said he had to go get some other car that passed. I didn't even get a warning. It seemed the car blew by us and their infraction was greater than mine.....anyway...

Admittedly, I felt worse not getting a ticket than getting one. I know that sounds awkward. Anyway, 18 over and no ticket....why?
View Quote
If it is bothering that much just send your state $300.00 and give your insurance man an extra couple hundred dollars every time you make a payment for the next few years. It will make you feel better.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:20:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:21:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Because you are a good guy.
I did it all the time.??
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:25:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
He knew I was a CCW because it's attached to my plates. I was honest and told him where the two were...it was like....okay...
View Quote
Once in an attempt to merge on I-66 I out ran the unmarked state police car on the interstate (I was on the ramp) to get in front of him. He nailed me at 21mph over which is considered reckless driving in VA and a jail-able offense.

Because I pulled over immediately and was polite to officer he wrote me up for only 19mph over. I think same thing occurred with you.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:27:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Next time roll the window about an inch, remind him that he’s a murderer and that you know your rights.  Record on your cell phone and promise to file a complaint for being unlawfully detained.  You’ll get your ticket.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:28:03 AM EDT
[#18]
On my way to register at a tech school in waco i was going 80mph in a 70mph and a gold toyota minivan blew past me like I was standing still, we were approaching a hill and i thought it'd be funny if a cop was on the other side and the guy in the minvan got pulled over.

When i get over the hill sure enough there's a trooper running radar on the right hand side.

I see him take off and turn his lights on.

And he pulls behind ME!!! WTFOMGBBQ!!!!

I pull over and he walks up and asks if I know why he pulled me over, I say yes, I was going about 80mph but why didn't you go after the minivan???

He said minivan was going 120mph, you were going 80mph, i was easier to catch.

He let me off with a warning.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:29:36 AM EDT
[#19]
White privilege.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:35:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I pulled over many cars during my time in a radio car and on the Interstate. It was the drivers attitude that determined just how that stop was documented.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:36:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Many LE have pretty wide discretion for a variety of reasons and are actually pretty decent people with surprisingly good attitudes considering - shocking I know...
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:37:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The warning had the desired effect and he didn't feel the need to penalize your further. Cops (at least cops here) don't have ticket quotas but they are required to make a certain number of contacts with the public.
View Quote

Quoted:
I hardly ever write a CCW holder because odds are they are one of the good guys. If you pull over, act respectful and don't lie to me odds are you get a warning.

I have to show a certain number of stops but they don't state how many have to be warnings or tickets. No reason to ruin a good person's day if their actions weren't endangering others and I think a warning will correct the behavior.
View Quote

Yes! It's not a cop's job to ruin people's day, punish them, and/or take their money. A lot of cops still remember that you can protect and serve without being a hardass and sticking it to people at every turn.

He got his point across without costing you your hard-earned money. It's a win/win.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:37:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a good story. My dad gave arrested a native guy for DUI once. Said he was yelling at him, calling him a racist, he needed his vehicle for work, and he would kick the shit out of him if he wasn't in uniform. A few months later my dad was having lunch at a restaurant and saw the guy approaching him. He got worried that there was going to be an ugly confrontation in a busy restaurant.

The guy said he was very sorry about the way he acted. He felt terrible and knew he could have killed someone. His wife was going to leave him because of his drinking and the DUI was a real wake up call. He said was in AA now and was working to be a better person and told him thanks. My dad said it felt good to make a positive impact in someone's life like that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I went 30 over and the cop didn’t take my license….. that was nice of him. So I finished my weekend trip and dealt with the ticket when I came back
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:39:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Is this the white guilt I've heard of?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:41:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
On my way to register at a tech school in waco i was going 80mph in a 70mph and a gold toyota minivan blew past me like I was standing still, we were approaching a hill and i thought it'd be funny if a cop was on the other side and the guy in the minvan got pulled over.

When i get over the hill sure enough there's a trooper running radar on the right hand side.

I see him take off and turn his lights on.

And he pulls behind ME!!! WTFOMGBBQ!!!!

I pull over and he walks up and asks if I know why he pulled me over, I say yes, I was going about 80mph but why didn't you go after the minivan???

He said minivan was going 120mph, you were going 80mph, i was easier to catch.

He let me off with a warning.
View Quote

It was your car.
I seent it!
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:43:03 AM EDT
[#27]
maybe hes a real cop and hes looking for career criminals not speeders.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:47:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Most of my interactions with the police have been good.

They may be working on their image right now.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:50:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Admittedly, I felt worse not getting a ticket than getting one.

If it helps any may I suggest you put your hand in the car door and slam it 4 or 5 times. That might make you forget about NOT GETTING A TICKET.    

Now we have people complaining about the cops being to nice to them.  

That cop should be fired for not giving you a ticket,  That Bastard.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:51:06 AM EDT
[#30]
if you pull over right away, you are admitting guilt... it goes both ways.

If he had written you a ticket, have fun explaining why you pulled over early  to a judge if you plead not guilty.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:53:09 AM EDT
[#31]
You got lucky. I got a ticket last Saturday for allegedly pulling out in front of another car. Local PD has to generate that revenue.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:56:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Is this the white guilt I've heard of?
View Quote

Did you just assume the Ops ethnicity, you are a insensitive jerk . He could be black. What a Brother can't get a break from The Man!.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:57:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Cops are humans too.  There are assholes out there, but there are a lot more good ones.

You met a good one.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:59:39 AM EDT
[#34]
You asked him, why?  lol.  Say thank you and move on.  I was pulled over a few months ago going 27 over (62 in 35) and didn't get a ticket.  I was carrying and volunteered the information, then handed him both my drivers license and ccw.  Looked at them and handed them back and told me to slow down.

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:03:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
if you pull over right away, you are admitting guilt... it goes both ways.

If he had written you a ticket, have fun explaining why you pulled over early  to a judge if you plead not guilty.
View Quote

Or....or manning up and not being a bitch helps me sleep at night. I guess some of us aren't lying pieces of shit and can admit when we fuck up?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:07:40 AM EDT
[#36]
I just try to make the cop laugh whenever I get pulled over. It works 50% of the time.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:11:07 AM EDT
[#37]
108 in a 55 here. I was braced for jail. As soon as I seen him I pulled over he didn't even have to move just walked to me.

Lightened the mood by saying do you know why you stopped in front of me?

Told me to slow down wrote me a ticket for 75 in a 55 which was the max fine and wrote my speed on the ticket. Told me if I try to fight it or anything judge will see actual speed and I'll be in jail.

I paid the 500 without question and decided if imma be stupid on 2 wheels I'll keep it in the desert.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:12:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Did you flash him your white privilege card?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:17:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Call the chief or sheriff of the department and DEMAND a ticket!!!!  Jebus,  I don't know how some of ya'll survive.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:20:11 AM EDT
[#40]
I didnt know 55mph speed zones still.exist
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:23:16 AM EDT
[#41]
I’ve found being decent and polite with traffic cops goes a long ways.  When I was young and dumb with a fast car, admitting to driving like an idiot got me a couple reduced tickets and a couple warnings.. however being young and dumb i just tried harder to not get caught.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:26:28 AM EDT
[#42]
He was hitting on you, dude, take a hit. Have you never been to Rhode Island before?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:29:42 AM EDT
[#43]
I guarantee it wasn't an Ohio State Trooper.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:35:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I didnt know 55mph speed zones still.exist
View Quote

They do in new Mexico. Bigly
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:35:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sometimes it’s more about activity(showing you’re actually doing something while you’re getting paid) than actually writing tickets.  

And yes… he’s correct. I was always trained to “educate” people about traffic laws than fine them.

I haven’t written a ticket in years… mostly because I don’t care… but when I do pull a car over I’ve walked up
To cars convinced I was going to write a ticket and after talking to the person I decided to just send them on their way because they were respectful and honest about what they did… shit… I’m human and made mistakes… if you admit them right off the bat… I’m not going to write you.

But on the flip side… I’ve pulled cars over that, for example BLATANTLY blew a light… like mine was green and they went through the intersection… but then try to argue it… or start shit with me… they get the ticket… and depending on their attitude maybe a couple more for whatever else I can find(legally).

You were probably just respectful and honest. And most for the time… that goes a loooong way(unless you get a hammer for a cop).

Don’t sweat it OP… you got pulled over, “educated”, and sent on your way.

Have a beer or bourbon and enjoy your night.

ETA… but then again I work in one of the murder capitols of the country… when I was actually proactively patrolling… I NEVER wrote an honest working person(unless they were a cock bag)… I was out looking for shitheads with illegal guns that were out there doing robberies and shootings… I had more important things to worry about that someone breaking a traffic law… but… that gave me a reason to stop the car and see who I was dealing with.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:36:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Unless you have a valid emergency yer getting a ticket. At 15 over yer a money maker. At 5 over not so much, unless yer in Utah when 55 was the limit, they'll take a chance and give you a ticket. 20$ iz 20$.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:44:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.
And complied. And had no previous. And notified of the guns.

Basically, you recognized your fault, and respected authority.
Probably too rare for officers these days.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:54:55 AM EDT
[#48]
I hate writing tickets.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:56:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Small town (Payson, AZ) state trooper got me 30mph over coming into town from PHX.

When i saw him pull out and and turn on his light i pulled over.

My truck windows are tinted dark.

So when he walked up I had all 4 down, and handed him my DL, Reg, and Insurance card. I didnt give him my CCW as They know when they run the DL.

Back seat was full of rifle cases, some were NFA.

He asked me if I knew how fast I was going, I said "I wasnt sure, as my speed was dropping when I looked at it".

Told me he clocked me around 86-89 in a 55.  I about craped my pants.

I have over 15 guns with me, thousands of rounds of ammo and I am doing criminal speed.

I explained to him I was going to work on a Clients cabin (Forest Lakes, AZ) that morning then head to my Moms place a couple hours down the road.

I wrote me for 64, told me to do the online class so I dont get points and slow down.  Also told me he likes to drive fast.

The guns never came up.

I thanked him and told him to have a great day

I also talked to a officer in Payson who told me that since AZ is a "Right to Carry" state, every car has a gun it in their mind.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:19:07 AM EDT
[#50]
I can tell it wasn't a VA State Trooper...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top