Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2021 8:25:18 PM EDT
When it comes to the firearms and ammo you seize during raids, or searches in the street etc...........

Generally speaking, are you dealing with cheap ass firearms with no enhancements and cheap ass FMJ ammo ?

Or do you see quality firearms, well maintained / quality accessories fed with quality ammo ?

I say generally as I am sure, at the upper levels of criminality they equip themselves well.

But I was wondering ( especially with regards to ammo - where it can be purchased over the counter with nobody checking if you are a felon ) if criminals go to the trouble of getting the most effective stuff they can ?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I have replaced evidence room cameras, run cabling and such.  

Seen bottom to mid tier stuff, Fuddish and not well taken care of.  Guess the poors can't afford much, or the thiefs don't take care of what they've stolen.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Mostly cheap garbage or mid-tier stuff that is poorly maintained from what I've seen. It's not uncommon to unload a 15-round magazine containing 10 rounds of mixed-brand FMJ ammo, or revolvers loaded with the incorrect caliber.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What percentage of crooks are like the crews from Heat, the Town and such? Like 1tenth of a percent.
View Quote

0%
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#5]
In my time in LE I only saw the cheapest of the cheap and the shittiest of the shittest FMJ.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Good stuff doesn't make it to the locker.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#8]
It depends on what they were able to steal or buy from other people. A Nazi marked P-38, cheap revolvers that I can't even remember the manufacturer, cheap plastics which cost under $300 new, and some decent new aged guns (Glocks, SW etc). The worst I've seen is a stolen revolver with 5 spent shells in the cylinder which we were unable to open without a mallet. Mags with assorted manufacturers and mags with HP's.

The beat-up rusty revolvers and cheap polymers are the most common, in my experience - Diamondbacks, Taurus, SCCY etc
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I see a mix of everything.  Part of my job is dealing with gun specific crimes, shootings, robberies, gangs, etc.
Most everything I find/recover are stolen firearms. Every night we have multiple car burglaries where handguns are stolen. We get a lot of Glocks, Shields, smaller Rugers, Taurus, etc. Anything people leave in their cars.  So a mix of everything.  Ammo is a mix of what was stolen or traded. Most mags are mixed ammo, steel case FMJ with hollow points as well. I’ve seen guys shot with Tula and Hornady Critical defense from the same mag. I’ve recovered guns with lights, lasers, extended mags, drums, as well as optics. Found a Gucci Glock with Zev upgrades. It had an RMR and the “dick” (33 round mag)

Rifles: I just helped a case where 3 AR’s were found. Bushmaster 16” carbine with Eotech, a DPMS with stainless bull barrel, and a Spike’s lower with a 7.5” upper. Somewhere in that rifles travel someone put the short upper on the lower.  All 3 were stolen.  The Bushmaster had 2 mags jungle-taped together. Mix of steel case Tula, Wolf, and brass cased Federal. We get a lot of shootings with 7.62x39, mostly steel cases. They love the Draco.

I’ve found some really nice guns. Found a Colt 1911 in a dirtbags house. I did some research on the gun and it was made in 1913.
Found lots of shotguns, Mossberg 500’s are probably the most common. Did find a KSG months ago.

So whatever is stolen from homes and cars is what we typically get from thugs. I’ve seen some pretty nice stuff as well as stuff that was cheap or not worth anything.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Stuff a pawn shop wouldn’t take.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Self dupe:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/LEO-question-re-seized-firearms-and-ammo-/5-2417599/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top