Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2018 2:47:40 PM EDT
LARGEST TORNADO EVER!!! From Birth to Death (w/ Radar & Commentary) 5-31-13
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Mother nature is sometimes a really scary bitch.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Texes is jelly OK beat them in "the biggest" game.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember that day well.  I did some chasing on another portion of that line.  That was a scary storm.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I remember that day well.  I did some chasing on another portion of that line.  That was a scary storm.
View Quote
What did you encounter ?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What did you encounter ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What did you encounter ?
Just a bunch of wind, large hail, and flash flooding.  No naders where I was.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#8]
The El Reno nader was bad juju.

Tim Samaras, 55, along with his son, Paul Samaras, 24, and Carl Young, 45, died in El Reno after the tornado that packed winds of up to 165 mph picked up their car and threw it, somersaulting, a half a mile.

We had 3 tornados just yesterday here in the DFW area. They were listed as EF-0 storms, but they still hurt 3 folks and fucked some shit up.

It's that time of year coming on. Make a plan to stay aware of the weather in your area, and what you need to do to keep your family safe!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I ain't scared.  My AR will keep me safe!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Texes is jelly OK beat them in "the biggest" game.
View Quote
Nope.Okies are good people.They think like Texans too.I like them just fine. Also,they are not yankees. [For Aimless]

I am glad to be away from tornado alley.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bigger than the Tri-State tornado in 1925?
View Quote
Holy shit, just looked that up, 151-235 mile long path through three states, 700 dead.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was going to chase that day, but it didn't feel right and being complete amateurs we thought better of it.  We thought we were safe at our house in Yukon (Surrey Hills) until it turned towards the neighborhood.  Second storm we fled, as was everyone in the town, to expect not having a house when we got back.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Came here to ask this.

Tri-State Tornado - March 18, 1925 - Weather Channel Segment
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I believe he means wider.  Tri-State was the most deadly in US history, I think.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I believe he means wider.  Tri-State was the most deadly in US history, I think.
View Quote
There are varying reports that put the Tri-State at 3 miles wide at one point in open farmland in Illinois or Indiana, though most of its time it was a mile, or sometimes double funnels moving and reconverging.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
My dad's great aunt had a barn in Illinois that was picked up, turned upside down
and sat back down gently and exactly on it's foundation. Not a board disturbed. No damage.  I swear.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My dad's great aunt had a barn in Illinois that was picked up, turned upside down
and sat back down gently and exactly on it's foundation. Not a board disturbed. No damage.  I swear.
View Quote
No damage, except that his barn was upside down.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#20]
The douche canoe weather guy on one of the TV stations actually told people to drive away if they didn't have a shelter.

I still won't watch him do the weather.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 6:48:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The douche canoe weather guy on one of the TV stations actually told people to drive away if they didn't have a shelter.

View Quote
If you don't have an underground shelter and an EF-5 is coming...your options are severely limited. Lay in a ditch and hope you aren't sucked into the storm...or try to get the fuck out of the way. I'm driving NW or SE to try and dodge the fucker.

I'm not getting your angst.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
We had one that destroyed the entire town of Xenia, Ohio, in 1974.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I remember watching that one live on the chaser feeds, seemed surreal to see something that large.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:29:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you don't have an underground shelter and an EF-5 is coming...your options are severely limited. Lay in a ditch and hope you aren't sucked into the storm...or try to get the fuck out of the way. I'm driving NW or SE to try and dodge the fucker.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...I live in the 2nd story of an apartment building.   I'd do the same.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
My uncles house was damaged in that tornado.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back when I lived in Indiana a very small tornado went through our neighborhood.  A buddy of mine lived on the last street of the west side of town, i was two streets over.  It moved my grill from one side of my deck to the other.  He had a 12 x 12 shed in his backyard and it picked it up and sat it upside down on the foundation. When it passed over his house it bent up the ridge vent on the roof, sucked out all of his attic insulation and sprayed it on the outside of his neighbors houses.  It was freaky, my dogs were the only ones that knew something was going on as it was evening and dark outside.  It did damage a few other houses and garages, barns, etc.  I did a track of the damage and I think it went maybe 1.5 or 2 miles.  Would have sucked really bad if it had been a big one.  Mother Nature be scary yo.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My angst? My angst is the moron went on TV and told people to get in their cars and drive. Not find shelter. Get in your car and add more potential victims.

Me? I was in my underground shelter. Same place I was 2 weeks before when an EF 5 missed my house by about 800 yards.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Bigger, deeper bunkers!
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
The xenia tornado was part of the 2nd largest tornado outbreak ever recorded
3-4 April 1974 148 tornadoes in 13 states  
only the 2011 one dropped the 74 into 2nd place
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_Super_Outbreak
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The xenia tornado was part of the 2nd largest tornado outbreak ever recorded
3-4 April 1974 148 tornadoes in 13 states  
only the 2011 one dropped the 74 into 2nd place
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_Super_Outbreak
View Quote
2011 was crazy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
2011 was crazy.
View Quote
no kidding.
I was a thousand plus miles to the west in salt lake. yet watched every minute of James Spann covering the situation live.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Been through 3, none that big though.

One of the very few things I DON'T miss about Texas.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's not certain that the Tri-State event was a single tornado.
View Quote
Did Tornado sirens even exist then? I have the feeling that a warning system was woefully inadequate back then to get information to people to seek unground shelter.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#37]
What round for mile-wide tornado?
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What round for mile-wide tornado?
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#39]
This one hit my gun range and the houses next to it. Fortunately petered out shortly after. It went through my town but had already picked up.

One of the more interesting lightning systems too, nonstop crackling for an hour... crackling like a paper sack, it was creepy cool.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#41]
" />

See that line of missing trees ...
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Some colleagues died on that storm. :(
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My angst? My angst is the moron went on TV and told people to get in their cars and drive. Not find shelter. Get in your car and add more potential victims.

Me? I was in my underground shelter. Same place I was 2 weeks before when an EF 5 missed my house by about 800 yards.
View Quote
Ya, road congestion was already bad before he said something. I try and avoid him, sadly his former chaser leads my station now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ya, road congestion was already bad before he said something. I try and avoid him, sadly his former chaser leads my station now.
View Quote
Me and my chase partner and another chaser behind us got caught in the fray. Sat at a 4 way stop on a rural road for about 30 - 40 minutes as that storm came at us. Loaded with hundreds of vehicles. I was overcome with fear that we would be hit by this storm. All because of traffic laws. Fuck running a stop sign although our lives are in peril. Of course at the time we didnt know it had already killed some of our acquaintances. But it was scary on radar.

I always tell friends get the fuxk out of the way of storms, dowbload radarscope and stay out of the path. This guy told everyone in major suburbs and a city. It created chaos.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Hank Schyma is a good guy.

Been watching his videos for a long time.

Some of the best nader footage on YouTube.

His snake and critter videos are good too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top