Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/6/2021 3:35:22 PM EDT
I have a little under 20 acres I live on in West Texas.

Mostly covered in mesquite and prickly pear with a healthy dose of jumping cactus thrown.
There is also a a little brush.

I'm not wanting to clear the land completely just remove as much cactus and some brush to make room for more grass.

Right now I have between 50 and 60 head of sheep that my property can't feed on it's own so I have a high hay bill also.

I have a long gravel drive that need's to be maintained and right now needs to be reworked.

I figured a root grapple for the brush and cactus, brush hog for lite mowing in front of my property along the county road and area's around my shop that are cleared.

I think a land plan would be better from what I've seen on youtube than a box blade.

And of course a bucket for the front.

I think the L series would fit my needs and keep me under the def requirement on horse power.

Im not sure of which model in the series would be best for my need's.

Any info and feedback is appreciated.

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a New Holland TC30 with a bucket on the front and landscape box on the rear.  It works just fine for clearing and such.  Not the least expensive, but......
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#2]
L series will probably do fine.
I've got a Kubota mx6000 w/ bucket/back hoe for a year now on less than 40 acres; I'm very happy with it so far.

Being able to pop on pallet forks is invaluable. Check your FEL capacities for what you want to be able to move.
That drove me up to the mx6000.
Get the third function installed up front from the beginning if you want to use a grapple.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I know one will tear the living shit outta the flap of a CRJ-100 wing.

And they'll run on Jet A too. But not on turbine oil.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a New Holland TC30 with a bucket on the front and landscape box on the rear.  It works just fine for clearing and such.  Not the least expensive, but......
View Quote

It won't be used daily but after clearing some acres it'll just be used for maintenance so I'm trying to keep the cost down.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#5]

A BX or L series with a backhoe/thumb/claw for removing brush/roots.. and a grader/plane for your driveway..

Made local to me in Texas, I bought the 5' for yard and driveway maintenance, way better than a box blade for leveling..

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've got a Kubota mx6000 w/ bucket/back hoe for a year now on less than 40 acres; I'm very happy with it so far.

Being able to pop on pallet forks is invaluable. Check your FEL capacities for what you want to be able to move.
Get the third function installed up front from the beginning if you want to use a grapple.
View Quote

Yep, every video mentioned the 3rd function installed upfront.

FEL?  Lift and pto rate's?
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Non def in the L series is going to limit you to the L2501.  LX is more money but worth a look.  Good machine. Look at how large of a bush hog you are going to want to use and also I would not be afraid of a def system if there is a deal to be had.  I have a B2650 and a L4060.  Only 15 hp difference but a huge difference in capabilities.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A BX or L series with a backhoe/thumb/claw for removing brush/roots.. and a grader/plane for your driveway..

Made local to me in Texas, I bought the 5' for yard and driveway maintenance, way better than a box blade for leveling..
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161452/20210814_181705-2052882.jpg

View Quote

Thanks. I'll check that out.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#9]
l4060 is the best in the segment, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I use skid steer or excavator to avoid chemicals with Cactus then restore the rangeland with the proper grass types.  Call a local extension of A&M for any questions
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#11]
L2501 keeps you out of emissions. The tractor seems heavy and large enough for maintenance tasks, but you will limit your mower size with 25engine HP (lower at the PTO). Just to let you get a gauge on this, I have a 47HP tractor with a 6 foot Bush Hog, and it bogs a little in thick grass at full RPM. And the thick grass is not that tall. I think a 5 footer is pushing it, but doable if you don’t let the grass grow too much.

My understanding is you are going to have numerous flat tires with those trees. Maybe get some foam filled tires or be careful driving.

The land plane is more dummy proof. The box blade is more versatile. I used a regular grader blade for a gravel driveway, as angling the blade was the only way I could direct the rock and keep a good crown. I can’t see doing it with a box blade.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#12]
We got rid of our 36hp John Deere 4400 and got a Kubota MX5400 last Thursday. We love it and having the cab is so nice! I spent 16 hours cutting fields between friday and Saturday with it so far.

A good stout brush hog will shred pretty much everything 1 1/2 - 2" and smaller.  

No one ever complained about having plenty of power or comfort. Buy what you KNOW will do the job. Not what you think, hope or will force it to do. A small machine and round bales don't mix well. If we did rounds, used them regularly or thought we might in the future I'd be looking in the 60-75hp range personally.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#13]
L4701 is what you seek.

I highly recommend www.everythingattachments.com for attachments.

Get the loader with quick disconnect bucket. That allows you to use multiple attachments on it.

3rd function for a grapple. 55" root rake is my suggestion.

HST drive. Once you are used to it you'll never go back to a gear transmission. Makes loader work a breeze.

Backhoe is about 9k installed and is iffy if you'll use it that much.

Recommend

Land plane
Rotary cutter (bushhog)
Post holer if you plan on fencing.
Tooth bar for bucket. Really takes digging to a new level.
Landscape rake. Makes smoothing ground and final clean up a breeze.

I also recommend a quick hitch and buying all comparable equipment. Makes Tractoring fun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Had my L3301 delivered Saturday.  I'll add a little more later.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Trying to keep costs down mean smaller tractor.

Big tractors get more work done quicker, but implements and maintenance all cost more.

The big question is what do you have, more time or more money?

I think a 30-40hp range would be good for your needs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We got rid of our 36hp John Deere 4400 and got a Kubota MX5400 last Thursday. We love it and having the cab is so nice! I spent 16 hours cutting fields between friday and Saturday with it so far.

A good stout brush hog will shred pretty much everything 1 1/2 - 2" and smaller.  

No one ever complained about having plenty of power or comfort. Buy what you KNOW will do the job. Not what you think, hope or will force it to do. A small machine and round bales don't mix well. If we did rounds, used them regularly or thought we might in the future I'd be looking in the 60-75hp range personally.
View Quote

This man knows. I have an mx6000 with a grapple. It only has 80 hours on it but I've used it a lot. Grapple is worth its weight in gold.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check the FEL capacity > front end loader capacity.
As you mentioned, check your three point linkage type/capacity and your pto hp for any implements you want to use - even if they're future purposes.

I wanted a little more FEL capacity so I went up from the L series to the MX. It also added a Type II three point linkage (but the linkage capacity went down some).

Make a list of all the implements you plan to get and fit the tractor to the implements. You may want to visit your local dealers and see what you can actually put your hands on these days.
I've been waiting 8 months for a hydraulic auger on order with no delivery in sight as of last week. The dealer said even Kubota RTV's are backordered 7-8 months plus right now.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Agreed.  Cab for the melanoma prone.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Launching into a very similar project next Spring in Central Texas.   Prickly Pear Cactus and mesquite are the targets.  

For cactus, they are saying spray with herbicides and wait.  Up to two years.   Alternatively, dig it up if its in smaller patches.  But, don't leave any ears/pears/pads behind because they will regrow into a new plant.  

So, I was planing to use a narrow shovel attached to the loader bucket, dig well outside the cactus, and try to pop the whole plants and roots down about 12 inches out of the ground.   Then, cart off.  Then, pour some sort of herbicide on the remaining roots.  I expect the ground to relatively tough to dig.    

On the mesquites, spray, wait six months, and then shred.  Then, stay on top of them, and after a couple years, the roots die out.   Meanwhile, keep it shredded to prevent new seedlings.  

As I understand it, shredding the cactus does not kill it, and tends to spread it further in the pasture.  So, my plan is spray the mesquite, work on the cactus, and then hopefully be ready to shred next fall.    

But, this is my first rodeo with cactus and mesquite.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a 4701 to handle my 40 ac property.

Can lift a lot more than the smaller tractors and I've moved some pretty large tree trunks with it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Im looking at the M4 for 80 acres
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I just received my L2501! Ordered it in June. Picked up 3 weeks ago. We got a shredder, FEL, & a back hoe.

I love it! Kids already figured out how to use and are helping me. We just place all the fence post for our large garden. Going to build the corral next.

Couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll try to get some pics up to show what Im working with as far as landscape goes.

Evidently my pics are to large to post .
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161452/20210814_181705-2052882.jpg

View Quote

Can you PM me the seller? I am interested. Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I have an L4600 and just recently sold a dinosaur L275. Both have been great.

ETA: grapples are tits, I use it for more things than I ever thought I would.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Can you PM me the seller? I am interested. Thank you.
View Quote

IM sent..

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Check the FEL capacity > front end loader capacity.
As you mentioned, check your three point linkage type/capacity and your pto hp for any implements you want to use - even if they're future purposes.

I wanted a little more FEL capacity so I went up from the L series to the MX. It also added a Type II three point linkage (but the linkage capacity went down some).

Make a list of all the implements you plan to get and fit the tractor to the implements. You may want to visit your local dealers and see what you can actually put your hands on these days.
I've been waiting 8 months for a hydraulic auger on order with no delivery in sight as of last week. The dealer said even Kubota RTV's are backordered 7-8 months plus right now.

Good luck!
View Quote

Thanks for the info.
Cactus is heavy especially older beds where the base is as hard as wood.

I've cleared different areas with only grubbing hoe, aggie, pitchfork and wheelbarrow.

It's just way to much for me to clear and maintain by hand.

I know I'll lose some lifting ability with the L series but once I get get it cleared it's just maintenance after that.

The cost saving for me I think should be worth it.

I do plan on talking to the dealer, I did want to go in with a basic idea of what Im needing.

I'm totally new to tractors.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes

Although nice to have, a cab would be a luxury for me since It won't be used on a constant bases.

Pluse I'll be going under as many tree's as I can getting into different areas and need the head clearance.

But for bee's and wasp protection it would be nice to have.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Launching into a very similar project next Spring in Central Texas.   Prickly Pear Cactus and mesquite are the targets.  

For cactus, they are saying spray with herbicides and wait.  Up to two years.   Alternatively, dig it up if its in smaller patches.  But, don't leave any ears/pears/pads behind because they will regrow into a new plant.  

So, I was planing to use a narrow shovel attached to the loader bucket, dig well outside the cactus, and try to pop the whole plants and roots down about 12 inches out of the ground.   Then, cart off.  Then, pour some sort of herbicide on the remaining roots.  I expect the ground to relatively tough to dig.    

On the mesquites, spray, wait six months, and then shred.  Then, stay on top of them, and after a couple years, the roots die out.   Meanwhile, keep it shredded to prevent new seedlings.  

As I understand it, shredding the cactus does not kill it, and tends to spread it further in the pasture.  So, my plan is spray the mesquite, work on the cactus, and then hopefully be ready to shred next fall.    

But, this is my first rodeo with cactus and mesquite.
View Quote

I've cleared literally ton's of pear by hand.

You'll never be free from it, but you can maintain it.

For cactus you have to be licensed to spray for it and even then I believe it'll will still come back in different areas just from wind and animals spreading the seeds.

I've used remedy on mesquite.
Haven't used it in several year's now but actually was going to get some today at the feed store but forgot.

It's late in the year for spraying now but I wanted it on hand.

The small saplings usually die after one or two sprayings.

Larger one's I cut down leaving enough stump to spray.
Then shave the top as needed to respray the fresh cut.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I just received my L2501! Ordered it in June. Picked up 3 weeks ago. We got a shredder, FEL, & a back hoe.

I love it! Kids already figured out how to use and are helping me. We just place all the fence post for our large garden. Going to build the corral next.

Couldn't be happier.
View Quote

Going to be re-fencing sometime next year using pipe and doing away with the t-post.
An auger attachment would be nice but it would be a one time use for me.

Maybe they rent them around here.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have an L4600 and just recently sold a dinosaur L275. Both have been great.

ETA: grapples are tits, I use it for more things than I ever thought I would.
View Quote

The root grapple would be perfect for the cactus bed's here.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I would look for a pre-DEF unit. Inlaws have a L3800 for 16 acres and it gets the job done pretty well, you might wanna bump up to something ~40hp with a cab for 20 acres in Texas. AC is nice.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It won't be used daily but after clearing some acres it'll just be used for maintenance so I'm trying to keep the cost down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well then why not rent what you need when you need it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Not sure your type of cactus.  Prickly Pear will reproduce from the roots and from fragmentation.  Shredding only makes them grow back thicker.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Im looking at the M4 for 80 acres
View Quote

I got one of the first ones in my part of Texas.  They have a nice cab.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#36]
I have had the 3301 L for the last 5 years and have been extremely happy with the performance. I think the 25, 33 or 39 would all work. The 33 and 39 didnt take def, but do regen. Not a huge deal. My understanding is the 25 does not regen. This info may be dated. Mine is a little dozer clearing brush!  Cactus is just sheared into a pile.  Be sure to get the skidsteer attach front bucket and a thumb function for a grapple. Add a box blade and a mower and you have the most used tool in your arsenal.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Going to be re-fencing sometime next year using pipe and doing away with the t-post.
An auger attachment would be nice but it would be a one time use for me.

Maybe they rent them around here.
View Quote

Rent a skidsteer with an auger to drill your drill stem holes. They can put the weight of the skidsteer on the auger where a 3 point auger just depends on the bite of the auger.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I had an L4330 since '07, recently sold it and currently waiting on an MX5400.  Both had FEL's, but the 5400 will have a 3rd function with front grapple.  My initial plan was to get a 4701, but the 5400 offered more lift up front, rear remotes, and a few other bells/whistles....plus, a decent amount HP.

Eta:  You can have too much tractor.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cost of rentals with the number of week's needed to do the job without mentioning the maintenance once the lands cleard as needed.

Plus I plan to use it for fencing and redoing and maintaining the drive which is several hundred feet long .

Mowing when needed ( I do let the sheep out around the shop to mow )

Redoing some fence line ect.

Math doesn't work for renting.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not sure your type of cactus.  Prickly Pear will reproduce from the roots and from fragmentation.  Shredding only makes them grow back thicker.
View Quote

That's why I want the root grapple.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#41]
You might also ask on the Homestead, Farm & Garden forum.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Took delivery of a L2501DT 3 weeks ago. Love it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#43]
This month is my first anniversary of my BX2380. They are great tractors. I have 15 acres of woods and swamp in Mich. Be sure and get a grapple. The Every Attachments grapple is what I have and could not be happier.

Chinook3
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#44]
M or GTFO

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Buying a M62 for my business I'm starting up soon.

Been using a M59 at work, M62 seems like the best thing in the size.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Couldn't be happier.
View Quote

the l2501 is a GREAT tractor

really does hit above its weight

however, it's damned limited, especially that anemic 1000lbs front lift
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Although nice to have, a cab would be a luxury for me since It won't be used on a constant bases.

Pluse I'll be going under as many tree's as I can getting into different areas and need the head clearance.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

want to see the most important part of a tractor?

ok, you talked me into it, i'll show you...

BTW, the best kubota dealer in TX is @spinone
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I just picked up a new holland t4.75.

Upgraded from an old ford 2810.

While it’s not a kubota, bigger, if you have the budget and space is always the answer.  

Only thing to keep in mind is implement cost goes up considerably in a cat 2 tractor.

It did come with skid steer quick coupler on the loader so I can use the stuff I already have for those.  

I use it some at work to run a 110 gallon mist sprayer, use a land plane for parking maintenance, and I have a hydraulic dump trailer for it.  

I have only had it about a month and we put 60 hours on it .  

If you can afford it, get a cab, it makes everyone happier .  

As far as your specific use , I only see cactus in a Mexican restaurant

I also have a 10ft bush hog for it, and just got a laser box blade for it.  We will see how the laser setup works, but it will free up a skid steer to do skid steer things
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Here's a few pics of what Im working with.

The small dead pile is part of a section I did about 4 yrs back.

Surprised that I had very little regrowth out of dozens of smaller piles.

Larger piles I make a bed of brush and put the cactus on top.

As you can see from the pics my neighbor's don't believe in maintaining the fence line.

I cleaned my side and what I could reach over and knock down on the other about 2 yrs ago.

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Buying a M62 for my business I'm starting up soon.

Been using a M59 at work, M62 seems like the best thing in the size.
View Quote

i'd fucking LOVE one

but i couldn't justify it for what i actually use it for.  i need to get into back yards, run over septic tanks, try to tear up as little as possible and 95% of the time only need to dig down about 2'

picked the L47

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top