Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:18:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:16:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:30:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 1:31:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm enjoying a foray back into wine. I've drunk scads of bourbons and scotches last few years. Was never really a wine drinker but I know my varietals. Tonight I'm enjoying a CA zinfandel.  I've always enjoyed the spiciness of Zin and the possibility for big fruit and to me, more depth without the chalk of Cab.
Gnarly Head @ $7 from local costco.
Yes, on the lower end price wise but as you eluded to above - taste above price.
For me, it has a blueberry smell and faint vanilla. It has great legs. really sticks to the glass. Not as peppery as I expected...soft overtone actually. Kinda pick up honeydew melon and soft tabacco.  
This is probably the most I've ever written on Arfcom. Hopefully doesnt sound pretentious.
I had the wine with chicken parmesan last week and today with creamy red pesto Shrimp and pasta.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm enjoying a foray back into wine. I've drunk scads of bourbons and scotches last few years. Was never really a wine drinker but I know my varietals. Tonight I'm enjoying a CA zinfandel.  I've always enjoyed the spiciness of Zin and the possibility for big fruit and to me, more depth without the chalk of Cab.
Gnarly Head @ $7 from local costco.
Yes, on the lower end price wise but as you eluded to above - taste above price.
For me, it has a blueberry smell and faint vanilla. It has great legs. really sticks to the glass. Not as peppery as I expected...soft overtone actually. Kinda pick up honeydew melon and soft tabacco.  
This is probably the most I've ever written on Arfcom. Hopefully doesnt sound pretentious.
I had the wine with chicken parmesan last week and today with creamy red pesto Shrimp and pasta.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/82023/20200302_211541_jpg-1299932.JPG
View Quote
That was an awesome tasting note. You led with your preferences and expectations. Gave the wine, cost and source. Then described it by aroma, physical appearance, then taste. Added the pairing. Fantastic.

And bring up an interesting point. Costco is THE LARGEST wine retailer in the world. Nobody sells more wine than them, which gives them amazing super powers in the industry. One of Costco's strengths is that they act as "critics" in their role as buyer for members. They approach the whole store that way, being as selective as possible to bring the best values and quality to their customers. I have had a fabulous experience with many of Costco's wines. For those who have accessibility issues, Costco can be a tremendous source. I have some almost unbelievable Costco wine stories, omg. When David Andrew was the the head buyer...

Thanks for the notes on that old vine Lodi Zin!  Love me some old vine Zin.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 12:50:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Tell me what you're going to make for dinner.

Are you going to have pizza with pepperoni, extra cheese and anchovies?

Or are you going to grill a steak, medium rare?

That will make a big difference in what I recommend, because MY way into the larger world of wine was to have an "aha" moment with a steak and a Merlot.  NOOOOOO, I do not recommend Merlot with steak.  There is a whole story there.

But I'm just sayin that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, and once you have that divine experience, with the food and the wine matching perfectly, you will figure it out in a way that no words can explain it to you.

So...pick a dinner.  Something simple, with meat.

Tell me the spices and how you will prepare it.

I will suggest a wine.

Then we can go forward from there.  If you don't like what I pick, we'll talk about it.  Heck, I will pick one I can get here, too, and I will buy it and fix that meal!  Then we can compare notes!

View Quote
Prime NY Strip cooked sous vide with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Seared with internal temp of 133-135.

Homemade mashed potatoes with garlic butter.

And broccolini roasted with salt, pepper, and evoo.

What wine?
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Prime NY Strip cooked sous vide with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Seared with internal temp of 133-135.

Homemade mashed potatoes with garlic butter.

And broccolini roasted with salt, pepper, and evoo.

What wine?
View Quote
I don't know what kitties will recommend, but with a black pepper infused prime rib, a Ferrari-Carano Cabernet Sauvignon is just about the best pairing you can get.  It's about $25 a bottle, but so worth it.

The wine will enhance the black pepper and bring out the prime ribs flavors.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:16:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:58:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#16]
An everyday wine for me is Lakeridge Southern White, then the Southern Red. The winery and vineyard is in Claremont, Fl. The wines are from muscadine grapes. About $10 to $12 a bottle. And discounts in quantity purchase at the winery. A little on the sweet side and light bodied. The muscadine grape has a distinctive flavor from typical winery/vineyard grapes.

They don’t have a vintage year since they co-op with other vineyards for their muscadine grapes. They do have other varieties from typical wine grapes that are vintage marked.

In the southeast is found in Sam’s, Publix supermarkets and some ABC liquor stores. Both are good wines by themselves, and the red is also good with an added splash of brandy. resembles a port wine that way but not near as sweet. They also bottle for another winery under the San Sebastián (St Augustine, Fl) label.

It is the only wine that I purchase by the case.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 1:16:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 1:18:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 1:32:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Their website indicates they do mail order, but did not find if there are restrictions to what state they will ship to.

It may be that I buy into the ‘buy local’ concept, plus I grew up with muscadine grapes either eating them straight off the vine, in homemade jelly, or the occasional taste of homemade wine on special occasions at family gatherings. Although I buy California Zinfandels and German Rieslings from local retailers, most wines I drink are east coast in origin. Mainly from Virginia. And the Southern white and red from Lakeridge.

For store purchase I have seen it in any Publix supermarket I’ve been in (GA, AL, FL) and their store locator shows there are quite a few around Nashville. Maybe a special order item, but Publix is good for getting that specialty item to a non-stocking store if it is anywhere in their system.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:08:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Question for the peanut gallery.  How do you follow a good bottle of wine when you only one of it?  Do you stick with a lesser quality wine of the same grape or dive into something completely different but equal quality of the first bottle?   We took approach C which was follow it up with a lesser quality of wine with a different grape, and it wasn't good.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:31:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#23]
For the most part yeah.  If I am using your scale, we went from a 7 to a 4 (the 4 being a perfectly good every day wine which I normally love).   So, the take home message even if I had back to back 4's, I could run into the same issue?  Therefore, I will just keeping opening up bottles.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You like it a lot better than the sweeter California wines?  I'm going to look for it and try a bottle if I can find it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An everyday wine for me is Lakeridge Southern White, then the Southern Red. The winery and vineyard is in Claremont, Fl. The wines are from muscadine grapes. About $10 to $12 a bottle. And discounts in quantity purchase at the winery. A little on the sweet side and light bodied. The muscadine grape has a distinctive flavor from typical winery/vineyard grapes.

They don’t have a vintage year since they co-op with other vineyards for their muscadine grapes. They do have other varieties from typical wine grapes that are vintage marked.

In the southeast is found in Sam’s, Publix supermarkets and some ABC liquor stores. Both are good wines by themselves, and the red is also good with an added splash of brandy. resembles a port wine that way but not near as sweet. They also bottle for another winery under the San Sebastián (St Augustine, Fl) label.

It is the only wine that I purchase by the case.

You like it a lot better than the sweeter California wines?  I'm going to look for it and try a bottle if I can find it.

Muscadine wine is unlike any other grape wine on the planet. Muscadines should have their own aroma wheel. Typically they are made very sweet because 1) they have such a huge tannin complex the sweetness is needed to make it palatable 2) regional consumer like sweet stuff, and if the wineries are going to make money, they need to make sweet wine

There’s no consensus among the enology science world if muscadines are actually a grape. Yes, they grow on vines; but they require male pollinators (like kiwis do; I like normal grapes), are a bunch grape vs a cluster grape ( they hang on the plant like cherries do), and a few other things.

I made a wine (~18k gal per year) specifically to challenge people’s preconceived notions about muscadine wines. It is light, ~7% alcohol, VERY sweet, used mute juice (French winemaking term) as the sweetness, and is lightly carbonated. Drastically unlike any other muscadine wine; or any wine for That matter, on earth. Sold/selling like hot cakes and is now the flagship product of the winery.

Many people say they don’t like muscadine wine because their experience with it was from their uncle cleetus’ home brews. Of course it was terrible; many of the commercial examples aren’t that much better.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#26]
So, we tried the experiment again from going to a 6.5 down to a 4 again, but this time sticking with just Douro wines.  The first one was a Prats & Symington Chryseia Douro, 2014 ($69.99) which is a very good soft Douro.  I've never had a super high end Douro yet, but that one is a very good one.  It is not full on with the licorice/fennel flavor that most Douro's have that I am used to.  If someone said they hate Douro's, this would be the wine, I would give them to change their mind.  

The 2nd bottle was Quinta das Carvalhas Touriga Nacional Douro ($19.99).  This is an every day drinker, and not nearly as smooth as the P&S, but I still like it non the less.  This is your typical Douro to me with all the funky goodness to it.  I would assume if you hate Douro's, this is the one you've probably had.  Overall it was a much better transition with these two bottles than it was a couple week's back.

My wife hate's Douro's and she thought the P&S was drinkable.   She does not like the the Quinta at all.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#27]
sign me up...

I have traveled to many of the wine regions in the world...
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#30]
A heads up for lovers of German Rieslings.

The 2019 vintage is being touted by critics as the best since the 2001 vintage. I loaded up on 2001, and haven't bought any since, so I'm going deep in this one.
The Kabinett and Spatlese level wines are affordable and the best values of this vintage. The sweeter Auslese, BA, and TBA wines are also stellar, but not as standout of a value.

I haven't had a Kabinett level wine in the cellar in at least 5 years. They were too damn delicious early and I drank em all.

Producers I consider the best of Riesling:
Kristoffel
J.J. Prum
Muller Catoir
Donhoff
Selbach-Oster

Some Kabinetts are starting to show up, and some plus the sweeter levels are available right now as futures.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Here is an easy way to try a bunch of different wines.  I've used them in the past, and found some good ones and bad ones.  You get 12 test tubes of wine which works out to be a glass of wine per test tube.  Usually it's 6 reds/6 whites, and the Christmas one is about $129.  They have cheaper ones on the site as well.  This one just came in today, so I haven't had a chance to try any of them yet.

For those wanting to check it out, it's called vinebox.

Vinebox
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Interesting.  It's like a couple of "flights" in a box, sort of.  

Is it a subscription you get?  Or do you just order at Christmas?
View Quote

You can do it either way.  I think it's a quarterly subscription if you sign up for it or you can order one box at a time.  I've only ordered one at a time so far and usually when we get bored and want to try something new without spending the money on a full bottle.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#40]
@Kitties-with-Sigs

Thanks for the kind words! I will write another pairing soon.

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You know far more about German Rieslings than I do.  I love Auslese, usually, but many of the better Rieslings are not commonly available here.  I put the German Auslese on par, for me, with the really good Moscato d' Astis. (For new drinkers, we are not talking about Barefoot Moscato here.)

I do know how/why so many of the German Rieslings commonly available are the sweeter wines, but I would love it if you wanted to share that, and what you know so it's not just me going on and on and on and on and....on.

Also.....share what makes a sweet Riesling stellar, to you.  I would learn a lot from that.

@Enzo300
View Quote

Hi Kitties,  Sure, I'll do a quick Riesling primer for those who want to know more.

ETA: Rieslings are a fantastic pairing with spicy food!  Curried dishes, etc. It is also THE classic pairing with Thanksgiving turkey.

Riesling is most often bottled with some left over sugar (a wine cannot be called "dry" unless all the sugar has been fermented out). This is measured in g/L and is often called "residual sugar" as it was always there to begin with, unlike dosages in Champagne.

The scale of sweetness from least sugar to most is Kabinett, Spatlese, then Auslese. Sometimes, there is no designation except qualitatswein, or Goldtropchen. These are usually Kabinett level sweet.

The next level of sweetness is caused by Botrytis, or "noble rot". This is a mold that lives on the surface of the grape, and it drinks the WATER from within the grape to sustain. This concentrates the sugars and flavors significantly, as well as adding a flavor all its own. These are very expensive wines because so little juice comes from the grapes. They are known as Beerenauslese, and the next level up is Trockenbeerenauslese. Both are usually considered dessert wines like Sauternes (also a Botrytised wine). There is one level sweeter, Eiswein, which uses frozen grapes to further eliminate water. Many vintages are not capable of producing an Eiswein, it is very dependent on specific weather.

There are DRY Rieslings, and though they rarely made it outside of Germany, their popularity is exploding. These are given the designation "Trocken" (dry) and "Halbtrocken" (half dry).

The thing I love about Rieslings, is their racy acidity. Acidity must be in even balance with the level of fruit to be considered good, and great vintages are typically very high in dry extract fruit concentration as well as very high in acidity. When both of those things are very high (along with glycerin), this is what provides the depth and intensity of the wine, the gorgeous viscuous mouthfeel, and the very long "finish".

In a good temperature controlled cellar, a good Riesling can last as long as a Port wine, as sugar, alcohol, and acid are ALL excellent preservatives and present in droves in the sweeter levels.

There is a VERY excellent FREE newsletter for Riesling lovers that rates all the top Rieslings and provide tasting notes at www.moselfinewines.com , and they email you notice when a new newsletter has been published.

The 2019 vintage is just starting to hit retailers, and it is THE best vintage since 2001, possibly BETTER. I am still drinking the '01 Spatlese and Auslese, the Kabinetts are LONG gone as they are SO easy to drink. I haven't bought any Riesling since the fantastic 2001 vintage. I'm brutal like that, I wait for the greatest vintages, and then stack em deep enough to wait out the mediocre ones.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 1:12:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Do you have a recommendation for the new wine drinker who would like to learn about Rieslings and is on a budget?  

How would you start?  

Should they go to the local liquor store and buy a Schmitt-Sohne?  (I'm baiting you here, if it's not obvious...to get you to talk about how to begin the experience of Riesling at the local, easy-to-buy level, and what to look for and what not.)

View Quote

Lol, you're awesome. Good questions and your bait is taken.

There are really 2 paths to the least painless way to experience excellent wines at the least possible cost. And you're right, Schmitt-Sohne from the corner package store isn't one of them.

Find a GOOD wine store, that specializes in WINE, and then work with the one individual there you feel most comfortable with. The loyalty is a bonus for being offered some of the gems that come in, and they will get to know your likes and dislikes and help you avoid kissing frogs.

or..

For those who have the option of being able to order online, find a reviewer whose palate most closely aligns with your own (this requires tasting wines and then comparing your impressions to various reviewers reviews) and then subscribe to that reviewer, find the reviews and quality ratings that excite you most, and then use a search engine like wine-searcher.com to locate those wines.

Riesling is a great wine to begin an education in wine on. First, it is one of the true Noble grapes, but it isn't priced like most Noble grape wines. (that's bait to learn which are the Noble grapes)
It tends to be very approachable when young, not typical of a wine capable of decades of aging. Buying a case of a single wine and following its evolution over decades is an education in itself.

Luckily, the simple qualitatsweins, Goldtropchens, and even the 1st level Kabinett wines are relatively cheap. Near the top of the top of the quality hierarchy is my favorite producer J. J. Prum, and his top vineyard, Wehlener Sonnenuhr. These Kabinett level wines from Prum's W.S. vineyard for 2019 are about $35. We're talking best of the best here. The Spatlese are $40-45 and the Auslese probably around $60. If this were a similar quality Pinot from Burgundy or Bordeaux, it would cost...  $1000's per bottle. Top Riesling is about the last of the truly great wines of the world that are still both affordable, and procurable by almost anyone.

It's pretty easy to google who the top producers are if you want to look for those, or talk to a knowledgeable wine salesperson and check what they tell you against published data.

For Riesling, the name is almost always the producer, followed by the vineyard, followed by the designation (Kab,Spat,Aus,etc) so for the example above
J. J. Prum (producer)
Wehlener Sonnenuhr (vineyard)
Kabinett

This is important because most producers make wines from several different vineyards, and many vineyards have more than one owner each. So not only does Prum have other wines, other producers sell a Wehlener Sonnenuhr bottling.

I'm not that big of a Riesling guy honestly. I love it, it certainly has its place both in my cellar and on my table, but I know some guys who live and breathe it and know every producer and vineyard. I can see why it would compel someone to such enthusiasm. Like you though, I have a limited use for sweet wines.  But for drinking some of the best wines in the world, on a budget, it's very hard to beat.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#46]
This thread has been really helpful. My wife and I are trying to get into red wine. She likes sweet wine and champagne but isn’t an avid drinker. I have been a fan of all things beer for a long time but have recently enjoyed bourbon quite a bit.

We did a wine tasting last night at our local wine bar with an eye on picking out a couple of less sweet reds to buy bottles of and enjoy with upcoming meals.

We wound up liking Sea Sun Pinot Noir 2018 and bought a bottle. We also have a 2019 Kirkland Cotes Du Rhône Villages from Costco that my wife picked up. We also dug a bottle of 2014 The Federalist Honest Red Blend out of the pantry that someone left here. It’s 55% Merlot, 30% Zinfandel and 15% Cabernet Sauvignon.

I’m open to pairing suggestions for meals or even snacks to go with any of those wines. As we do each one I’ll try to report back with some tasting notes.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 12:31:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Lol, you're awesome. Good questions and your bait is taken.

There are really 2 paths to the least painless way to experience excellent wines at the least possible cost. And you're right, Schmitt-Sohne from the corner package store isn't one of them.

Find a GOOD wine store, that specializes in WINE, and then work with the one individual there you feel most comfortable with. The loyalty is a bonus for being offered some of the gems that come in, and they will get to know your likes and dislikes and help you avoid kissing frogs.

or..

For those who have the option of being able to order online, find a reviewer whose palate most closely aligns with your own (this requires tasting wines and then comparing your impressions to various reviewers reviews) and then subscribe to that reviewer, find the reviews and quality ratings that excite you most, and then use a search engine like wine-searcher.com to locate those wines.

Riesling is a great wine to begin an education in wine on. First, it is one of the true Noble grapes, but it isn't priced like most Noble grape wines. (that's bait to learn which are the Noble grapes)
It tends to be very approachable when young, not typical of a wine capable of decades of aging. Buying a case of a single wine and following its evolution over decades is an education in itself.

Luckily, the simple qualitatsweins, Goldtropchens, and even the 1st level Kabinett wines are relatively cheap. Near the top of the top of the quality hierarchy is my favorite producer J. J. Prum, and his top vineyard, Wehlener Sonnenuhr. These Kabinett level wines from Prum's W.S. vineyard for 2019 are about $35. We're talking best of the best here. The Spatlese are $40-45 and the Auslese probably around $60. If this were a similar quality Pinot from Burgundy or Bordeaux, it would cost...  $1000's per bottle. Top Riesling is about the last of the truly great wines of the world that are still both affordable, and procurable by almost anyone.

It's pretty easy to google who the top producers are if you want to look for those, or talk to a knowledgeable wine salesperson and check what they tell you against published data.

For Riesling, the name is almost always the producer, followed by the vineyard, followed by the designation (Kab,Spat,Aus,etc) so for the example above
J. J. Prum (producer)
Wehlener Sonnenuhr (vineyard)
Kabinett

This is important because most producers make wines from several different vineyards, and many vineyards have more than one owner each. So not only does Prum have other wines, other producers sell a Wehlener Sonnenuhr bottling.

I'm not that big of a Riesling guy honestly. I love it, it certainly has its place both in my cellar and on my table, but I know some guys who live and breathe it and know every producer and vineyard. I can see why it would compel someone to such enthusiasm. Like you though, I have a limited use for sweet wines.  But for drinking some of the best wines in the world, on a budget, it's very hard to beat.
View Quote

I really didn't want to believe you on this one.  I've been drinking Schmitt-Sohne for as long I have been drinking wine, and was probably the first wine I actually liked.   I never ventured away from it b/c I knew I always liked it.  Anyways, I went to my local wine shop and was talking to him about this topic, and he suggested J. J. Prum.  There is really no comparison between the two, and now I hate you for this .  J.J. was simply amazing, and there may be no going back.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It does not surprise me that your favorite wines are Cabs.

They are often big and dry and (to the tastebuds of a new drinker) bitey.

Your tastebuds are used to high-proof alcohol. That means the alcohol/tannic bite in a big red wine may not be offputting for you.  They are not to me, either, at this point. But I remember a time when I couldn't take those big Cabernets . . .
View Quote

Have you tried any Nortons?

https://missouriwine.org/wines/varietals/norton
https://www.feastmagazine.com/drink/features/article_01a36b3e-47da-11e8-bc15-17c258412c5f.html
https://vinepair.com/wine-blog/fascinating-history-behind-americas-oldest-native-grape-norton/
https://winemakermag.com/article/534-norton-grapes-an-american-original
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top