Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as your conversation doesn't go sideways and switches to the number of firearms kicking about.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Are the really old ones worth anything?  I just busted mine out about a month ago and failed miserable at making bread….

My mom gave it to me, and I think she got it from her aunt, who would be like 120 if she were still alive. It has some writing in the inside of it. Appears to have belonged to a church at some point maybe?
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are the really old ones worth anything?  I just busted mine out about a month ago and failed miserable at making bread….

My mom gave it to me, and I think she got it from her aunt, who would be like 120 if she were still alive. It has some writing in the inside of it. Appears to have belonged to a church at some point maybe?
View Quote

Have you tried looking up the model and parts at kitchen aid? I have rebuilt 8 mixers that were given to me for free and sold them. The majority of them cost me $20 in parts
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife loves her. I bought it for her a while back and customized it to look like a bowl she liked (loves pigs).

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#5]
They are weak and easy to strip gears.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They are great but 1 is enough.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#7]

This

Or a late 80s Hobart made one
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

None of the lift bowl models are weak or have plastic gears to strip.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Custom cerakote.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#10]
My girlfriend has a bunch of them but got tired of having them repaired. She burns them up or has mechanical failures. She bakes. Even the largest "commercial" units were not up to the task.

We looked at Hobarts but they are SO expensive and also not what they used to be. Ended up buying a 20 qt import mixer on the advice of a used equipment supplier, given her particular circumstances. So far she says it badass. It has an 1100w motor. 1 year warranty, basically you just accept that you might be disposing of it after a year if it breaks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That one on the left looks like one of those high capacity assault mixers.
View Quote

You can tell because its got the bowl thing that goes up.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think my wife has an addiction with the dang things.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102931/20230520_101045-2822881.jpg
View Quote

OP you have some serious hardware in that picture, what you see there is equivalent to a KAC SR15 in dollars

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Mrs. Daks has one that belongs in the Smithsonian.  How old is it?  It's avocado green, a color that went out of favor in the Pleistocene.  (I reckon it's from the mid to late 70s.)  A few years ago we had an authorized dealer do a refurb - packing the bearings, new grease seals, new cord, etc.  It's good for another 40+ years.

It's done all sorts of chores - bread making, game meat grinding, sausage stuffing, etc.  It's a beast.

We gave a new one to an offspring for Christmas several years ago.  Offspring is a helluva cook and baker.  It's one of the most-used & appreciated gifts we have ever given.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A Kitchen Aid stand mixer was my best thrift store haul at $20. It’s been going for 10 years.
View Quote

Yep, snagged a really nice older one with all the attachments [less the grinder] plus three bowls for the same amount at a garage sale a couple years ago. Those bowls are not cheap.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Complaining she bought Red, White and Blue!!

Don’t you love America?
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My wife loves her. I bought it for her a while back and customized it to look like a bowl she liked (loves pigs).https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/389138/0425200732-1868633.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/389138/0329200840-1868907.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think my wife has an addiction with the dang things.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102931/20230520_101045-2822881.jpg
View Quote

Now buy her the big one!

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In honesty the brass gear models can strip out; mine did once. Thankfully they are easy to fix with parts sourced from Amazon.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Substitute mixer with gun and wife for husband and lets see how that reads.  Do you own more than one pistol?  More than one AR?
View Quote

Turrible analogy...
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#20]
If it weren't for my KA stand mixer, I wouldn't make the breads that I do.  No way I'd do all the kneading by hand.

And the meat grinder attachment makes awesome burger.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

In honesty the brass gear models can strip out; mine did once. Thankfully they are easy to fix with parts sourced from Amazon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife's lift bowl pro stripped a gear and I had to rebuild it and replace the grease after about 6 months of making bread with it. A bread hook will apparently wreak them.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Got my wife the professional model. That thing can mix concrete.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Haven’t read the whole thread. Bought my wife a pro 6qt for baking. It was pricey. 700 bucks I think.

Her smaller one wasn’t cutting it. Not even close. The machine couldn’t do what she wanted  

Best appliance ever. Buy once, cry once.  I get homemade bread of every kind thanks to that workhorse. Every kind.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My wife's lift bowl pro stripped a gear and I had to rebuild it and replace the grease after about 6 months of making bread with it. A bread hook will apparently wreak them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep; that’s what my wife did it with too, she’s a baker. We got an identical spare mixer expecting the original to croak pretty fast but geez it’s gotta be on 10 years now of semi frequent (like once or so a week) use and while it’s louder than the spare mixer, it’s still doing work. She uses the spare for lighter stuff and the original for breads til it dies.

That was like a $10 gear plus food grade grease and maybe a half hour of my time to get done the first time; well worth the extended life. I’d do it again.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:33:20 PM EDT
[#25]
We've got two only because I bought my wife one (because I wanted one) and then, a couple of years later, we won one at a blind raffle and was going-to regift it but I used both of them when making my yearly fruitcakes and decided they made it so much easier and faster ... we've got two now.

One is commercial grade, the one we won.

Big difference in horsepower and capacity.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#27]
^ Ice cream maker is awesome!

My wife had the big red one and the white one from OPs pic. The red one was louder than a Pratt & Whitney JT8D and we needed to wear ear plugs when it was running. Had to move it on.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#28]
If you are doing a lot of heavy cakes or bread dough it’s nice to have two because they get hot.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bread is tough on the KitchenAids.

I bought an Ankarsrum Assistant for bread making, but I mostly mix by hand now.  

Wife has a lift bowl KA for cookies, and I have my Ankarsrum.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I, too, suffer from the addiction. Its glorious.

I want a mixer that has a HP rating. Fuck watts, I want horsepower.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We have the red "professional 5 Plus" model too.  How are the tilt models holding up?

Anyone use the attachments that mount to the front?  We haven't bought or used any of them.  Any favorites that work well?
View Quote
I use this meat grinder and am happy with it. The KitchenAid one has a plastic body and it cracked on me so I replaced it with an all metal unit.

Meat grinder

The ice cream maker is....Meh. Frankly, I dont think the bowl gets cold enough (Or holds the cold long enough) to REALLY make ice cream but it works half assed enough for it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The tilts are holding up well
No play in them at all.

We use the juicer, pasta maker and ice cream maker attachments. All work fairly well. The juicer is the one that gets used the most.
View Quote

We've had ours 20 years.  The pin now has enough play it will walk.  Four loaves of bread a week for the last 15 years.

Pasta make attachments get used occasionally.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:10:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Well built machines, but one seems plenty, unless you are doing a shit ton of baking.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I, too, suffer from the addiction. Its glorious.

I want a mixer that has a HP rating. Fuck watts, I want horsepower.
View Quote

They are directly related.  Look at current.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I've never made bread with mine. In fact, I dont think I've ever made bread....

Anyone want to shjare a good bread recipe (Yeah, I know I can probably find half a million on Google....)
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:25:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Right place, right time, got an old 5qt for free 99. Just needed new brushes. Less than $6 with shipping. Just the beater, that I sandblasted the old cracked poly coating off of. Can add a wisk or hook if I ever feel the need. These things are dead simple and parts are plentiful because they didn't fix what wasn't broke and there are millions of them out there.

I bet you could interchange most parts from a 50's model with one straight off the production line without a problem.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I've been super lucky in my life when it come to mixers.

Ive been given nearly NIB pro models twice in my life now. Latest one has tons of attachments in their boxes unopened.

I guess it pays to know people who don't like to cook.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yep, snagged a really nice older one with all the attachments [less the grinder] plus three bowls for the same amount at a garage sale a couple years ago. Those bowls are not cheap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Kitchen Aid stand mixer was my best thrift store haul at $20. It’s been going for 10 years.

Mine is actually a current production 300w model, but for $20 it came with 2 bowls and no attachments. I mostly use it for the meat grinder attachment.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:42:18 PM EDT
[#40]
i have the commercial and it is legit. have an old hobart made i need to rebuild and a pro model i need to go through, as well. the commercial is a beast.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They are directly related.  Look at current.
View Quote

Yeah I know.

piv

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:54:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've never made bread with mine. In fact, I dont think I've ever made bread....

Anyone want to shjare a good bread recipe (Yeah, I know I can probably find half a million on Google....)
View Quote

If you want to make Soft Pretzel Rivets with the dough hook this is the recipe we make.

Soft Pretzels
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:06:13 AM EDT
[#43]
My wife always told me..don't you even dare to give me a kitchen gadget for a gift..........she made an exception for this, and as many attachments as she found useful.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:07:54 AM EDT
[#44]
My wife has my grandmother’s KA/Hobart stand mixer from the 1970s.

That thing is indestructible.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:11:46 AM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:14:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bread making is why my wife went through one 500 and two 600s KAs (including one rebuild) before I said fork it and bought the Commercial version.  She's been good for about 8 years now.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#47]
I need to find an older all metal slicer/shredder attachment for the 6qt bowl lift.  The plastic version cracked around the shaft bushing.

Roughly 30 years old at his point.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

BBQ with Edward Teller.

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:28:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I need to find an older all metal slicer/shredder attachment for the 6qt bowl lift.  The plastic version cracked around the shaft bushing.

Roughly 30 years old at his point.
View Quote

What era is that? I bought my wife every attachment to a kitchen aid commercial mixer 2005 but she doesn't use half of them. They are packed in to a stainless rolling tool box.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If you want to make Soft Pretzel Rivets with the dough hook this is the recipe we make.

Soft Pretzels
View Quote
rather than bake them, you should deep fry the nuggets. serve with a proper cheese sauce
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top