Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2024 12:50:36 AM EDT
Huh.  Came on GD to see what people thought of this movie and didn't see a thread. Figured there would be a thread already.  Nope. So I guess I'm starting one.  No spoilers.

I saw it yesterday and broadly speaking I liked it.  No woke bullshit that I could detect.

No real big names in it except for William H. Macy.  The female lead was also in the Witcher, she's very nice on the eyes.  Nothing crazy about her physical prowess as a fighter, no grrrrl power nonsense.  There is some significant gun play.  A believable character.

The apes CGI is very very good.  At times I did feel it was real.  Nicely done.

They are definitely leaving it open for a sequel, which I will watch.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:36:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Bentley8:
Huh.  Came on GD to see what people thought of this movie and didn't see a thread. Figured there would be a thread already.  Nope. So I guess I'm starting one.  No spoilers.

I saw it yesterday and broadly speaking I liked it.  No woke bullshit that I could detect.

No real big names in it except for William H. Macy.  The female lead was also in the Witcher, she's very nice on the eyes.  Nothing crazy about her physical prowess as a fighter, no grrrrl power nonsense.  There is some significant gun play.  A believable character.

They are definitely leaving it open for a sequel, which I will watch.

View Quote

Cool, my daughter and I are watching the trilogy (me for the second time, first for her).

I really like it and glad they didn't fuck it up with the fourth one.

The CGI is incredible in these films, even the earliest one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:05:14 AM EDT
[#2]
A sequel? Isn’t this like movie #4 in this series?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:59:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tengo1:
View Quote

Yeah, like Hollywood never makes sequels or remakes or retreads

- Hey look! it isn't 1975 anymore!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:28:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#4]
I binged the first 3 of the series - it would be hard for me to believe it is not woke.  Not woke enough to really piss me off, but for the most part - white man bad, apes were generally (not entirely) noble savages.  IIRC, there was usually one good male character who helped the apes against the bad men.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I adored the first three in this continuity,  but the change in directors has me wary. Reeves is brilliant (yes, I know he didn't do the first one). The guy on Kingdom seems like a generic hired gun.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cayman_shen:
I adored the first three in this continuity,  but the change in directors has me wary. Reeves is brilliant (yes, I know he didn't do the first one). The guy on Kingdom seems like a generic hired gun.
View Quote

Adored?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

One of the cable channels was running all the old ones back to back Saturday so I looked.  Internet said there were 5 in the original series that started in like 1968 and the one that just came out is the 5th of the new ones.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I never cared that much for the original movies, personally… but these new flicks have been good-to-excellent. The first one in particular, how it starts with Alzheimers research. It was exceedingly well done near-world sci-fi.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Aspida1776:

Adored?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Adored?

So fucking what?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#12]
You were worried the apes were woke lol

Hulu has all the original films and the latest 3.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:50:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hadrian] [#13]

View Quote

Still not good enough.  It's like a very sophisticated cartoon.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I've not seen the latest installment, but my interest in the series wained with each successive movie. At this point I wait for any movie to be on a streaming service for no extra cost. The whole of Hollywood funds people who hate me, I do my best not to give them any more money.

I did note that in the originals the humans were the good guys, in the reboots the apes are the sympathetic characters. The wests nihilism on display again.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ronin76:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ronin76:

By 1975 the original Planet of the Apes movie had already spawned 4 sequels.  And a live action television series.  And an animated television series in that year...
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Adored?
View All Quotes

Adored?

Continuity?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Agreed it was very good movie. Not woke just a good story.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:11:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#18]
Well, have watched all 4 of them now.  1 & 2 were enjoyable, if white male humans were mostly the bad guys.  Third was basically Apoclipse Now with apes - not completely terrible, but not as good as the first 2.

This one - maybe I was just tired and gripy, but no real joy here.  The plot left a lot to be desired.  I don't know why an ape tribe would be so bird oriented.  Just looked like they were trying to hard to find something that made them unique.  I did appreciate the TOS tie ins - it was the first of these reboots that tried to bring back the feel of the original, and perhaps it will set a direction in that if it does not kill the franchise.  Apes on horseback netting humans - those dirty apes (did not hear the line in this one actually, think it was probably in all of the 3 before it though)...  The real issue was the humans - or the mostly lack of them.  There were 3 that actually might have deserved to be in the credits - the rest were extras rented for a day or two.  Of the 3, one had something less than 1 minute of screen time.  Then honestly, one of the other's was mostly insignificant anyway.  Which ends up with one human charter.  Will not be a spoiler but lets just say she was still mostly a bad human.

I could not get into the movie.  I was actually looking at my watch waiting for it to be over.  I disliked the tribe, I disliked the plot, I disliked the nod to global warming (apparently sea levels have risen significantly - not actually said, but very apparent if you think about it).
---
I might have had an allergic reaction when Cesar died in #3 - but none of the new cast had the hope of an emotional attachment.  Even the CGI seemed less impressive, but honestly perhaps it was because I could not see the cheapness on a 12" monitor window compared to the big screen.  It looked spectacular when I watched them at home - and this looked dated.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:15:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mousehunter:
Well, have watched all 4 of them now.  1 & 2 were enjoyable, if white male humans were mostly the bad guys.  Third was basically Apoclipse Now with apes - not completely terrible, but not as good as the first 2.

This one - maybe I was just tired and gripy, but no real joy here.  The plot left a lot to be desired.  I don't know why an ape tribe would be so bird oriented.  Just looked like they were trying to hard to find something that made them unique.  I did appreciate the TOS tie ins - it was the first of these reboots that tried to bring back the feel of the original, and perhaps it will set a direction in that if it does not kill the franchise.  Apes on horseback netting humans - those dirty apes (did not hear the line in this one actually, think it was probably in all of the 3 before it though)...  The real issue was the humans - or the mostly lack of them.  There were 3 that actually might have deserved to be in the credits - the rest were extras rented for a day or two.  Of the 3, one had something less than 1 minute of screen time.  Then honestly, one of the other's was mostly insignificant anyway.  Which ends up with one human charter.  Will not be a spoiler but lets just say she was still mostly a bad human.

I could not get into the movie.  I was actually looking at my watch waiting for it to be over.  I disliked the tribe, I disliked the plot, I disliked the nod to global warming (apparently sea levels have risen significantly - not actually said, but very apparent if you think about it).
---
I might have had an allergic reaction when Cesar died in #3 - but none of the new cast had the hope of an emotional attachment.  Even the CGI seemed less impressive, but honestly perhaps it was because I could not see the cheapness on a 12" monitor window compared to the big screen.  It looked spectacular when I watched them at home - and this looked dated.
View Quote
My opinion is a slightly milder version of this.  The movie is SLOW and I was also ready for it to be over.  PotA was a HUGE part of my childhood, so I'm probably less objective than I could be.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:38:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I have nothing add other than I've never seen a single Apes movie.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By captexas:

One of the cable channels was running all the old ones back to back Saturday so I looked.  Internet said there were 5 in the original series that started in like 1968 and the one that just came out is the 5th of the new ones.
View Quote

Don’t forget the one off in the middle.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 6:19:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Giltweasel] [#22]
Originally Posted By corwin1968:
My opinion is a slightly milder version of this.  The movie is SLOW and I was also ready for it to be over.  PotA was a HUGE part of my childhood, so I'm probably less objective than I could be.
View All Quotes

---

When I was a kid it was Planet of the Apes, Godzilla movies, and then Star Wars came out and changed everything.

But before 1978 it was almost entirely ape stuff. Board game, TV show, Halloween costume, action playsets, lunchbox, etc. Lots of people forget how big it was before George Lucas came along and exploded all over the place.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 7:43:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#25]
Originally Posted By Hadrian:
View Quote
Still not good enough.  It's like a very sophisticated cartoon.
View Quote
This.

I look at the other movies, I see the trailers for this one in 4K, and the apes look fake to me.
Fantastic, to be sure... but fake.
And, I'm not sure why (Maybe some kind of uncanny valley effect?), but watching the apes annoys me.
I see them, and it just rubs me the wrong way, for some reason. I get annoyed.
I prefer the apes from the original movies, even though they looked way more fake.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Jason280:
View Quote
I think I've seen the first one. It must have been on network TV though. I doubt I would have paid to see it in a theatre.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 8:32:34 AM EDT
[#27]
I thought it was okay. For whatever reason, it didn't really click with me, my daughter, my son, or my sons girlfriend. We all thought it was meh.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Saw it recently, felt too slow at times and just didn't seem as good as the other ones.  As the ending set it up for a sequel, hopefully it's better.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm in the middle of watching the new planet of the apes.

I noticed no guns. And no spears for the wild humans for that matter.
Spears would have been a great equalizer.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 10:55:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prijador] [#30]
View Quote

Thank you for your service!

I haven’t either.  I want to tho - just haven’t found the time.  What bits and pieces I have seen just seem… depressing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Giltweasel:

When I was a kid it was Planet of the Apes, Godzilla movies, and then Star Wars came out and changed everything.

But before 1978 it was almost entirely ape stuff. Board game, TV show, Halloween costume, action playsets, lunchbox, etc. Lots of people forget how big it was before George Lucas came along and exploded all over the place.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Giltweasel:

---

For me, it was Planet of the Apes, Star Trek and Logan's Run and then yes, Star Wars came along and displaced everything, for most of a generation.  When I think about it, I feel so freaking fortunate to have been a kid in the 70's, a teenager in the 80's and a young adult in the 90's.  

My Apes phase lasted awhile.  :)

There's a decent chance that album cover was a PotA story album.
Attachment Attached File

The mask wasn't technically PotA, but it's what I had.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:32:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: corwin1968] [#32]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Yup I remember arguing with my sister to watch the TV show.
View Quote
For me, it was my dad and cousin, on Sunday nights, and they always won and we watched The Six Million Dollar Man.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:32:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PacNW5] [#33]
View Quote

The Matt Reeves ones were quite excellent and stand up to repeated viewing.

I thought this one suffered from pacing/editing problems as the first half is baggy as hell.

Having said that, this one is doing well financially as it just crossed $300mm WW.  People always underestimate this franchise.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By hoodonit00:

So fucking what?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hoodonit00:

Adored?

So fucking what?

So adorable.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Started to go see it...found out it was a Disney property.

Won't support those child preditors even if it is their least woke product.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#36]

Adored?
View All Quotes

Adored?

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

The newer series is really, really good.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Seemed very very slow. I was falling asleep .

I mean get to the point already.

I'm still not sure of the plot. How did she know where to get that thing she got? How did she know how to get in the facilities when the apes couldn't figure it out and trying to open a giant door?
How did she know where to bring it to once she got it?

And not sure of the timeline either. Would those things up there in space still even be working?
So I'm guessing the whole plot was about comm's?  Maybe, idek.

Oh and it was predictable that the ape would finally master what his dad had mastered over the years and use it to kick some ass.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#39]
There's only ONE Planet of the Apes movie.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 12:23:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Other than the one in theaters now (where I won't go), I have seen them all.  Have liked them since I was a kid, even when they aren't up to the quality of the original.  I will watch this one eventually too
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#41]
I enjoy them all but haven't seen the newest one.

I'm 40 and remember watching the originals on tnt back as a kid. They totally creeped me out with that music
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#42]
The mask wasn't technically PotA, but it's what I had.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42575/335777292_532725098932715_71256631104314-3230131.JPG
View Quote
You ever run for office, that pic will get you cancelled... unless you're running in Canada.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Prijador:

I haven’t either.  I want to tho - just haven’t found the time.  What bits and pieces I have seen just seem… depressing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prijador:

You two should be ashamed.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Codyboy:
Seemed very very slow. I was falling asleep .

I mean get to the point already.

I'm still not sure of the plot. How did she know where to get that thing she got? How did she know how to get in the facilities when the apes couldn't figure it out and trying to open a giant door?
How did she know where to bring it to once she got it?

And not sure of the timeline either. Would those things up there in space still even be working?
So I'm guessing the whole plot was about comm's?  Maybe, idek.

Oh and it was predictable that the ape would finally master what his dad had mastered over the years and use it to kick some ass.
View Quote

Because she's human not a stinkin' ape.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Just got back from it. I enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#46]
It is so woke there are apes in it that don't look like me.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Eh, it was mid.

They shot themselves in the foot by showing Caesar and the boys (Maurice and Rocket) in the beginning, reminding you of the good movies before presenting you with a bad one.

The human chick knew way too much, without explaining how.

Got into the vault super easy...way too much water CG at the end...was bored.

Top Top