Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2022 6:41:44 PM EDT
I've been getting good results with Walmart's Great Value unbleached all purpose flour for bread and pizza dough but I finally ran out of it. It's cheap and readily available at WM but just for the heck of it I tracked down a local source for King Arthur Sir Lancelot and Sir Galahad flours and bought a 50 lb. bag of each. The KASL is a high gluten flour with 14.2% protein and the KASG is basically an all purpose flour with 11.7% protein. They are both unbleached and unbromated with malted barley flour listed in the ingredients. The USDA limits the amount of malted barley to no more than .75% of the weight of the flour. It is included to assist the fermentation characteristics of the flour.
I'll use the KASL straight for pizza dough and will blend the two flours for bread. Today I baked some baguettes using a 50/50 blend that averaged out to about 13% protein and the result was a noticeable improvement in oven spring and flavor. I found that a small increase (2 minutes) in baking time was necessary to get the desired doneness. What are arfcom's favorite flours?
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Hudson Cream

/thread
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#2]
King Arthur AP for general purpose baking.  After a tour of the deep South I discovered the secret to biscuits - White Lily.  Nothing else even comes close, IMHO.

I miss AL.  I haven't had a decent biscuit since I departed.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 12:32:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Just bought 50 lb of All-Trumps for bread and pizza, will report back with results. As for biscuits, White Lily is hard to beat, although I also like Wauneta Roller Mills flour for cakes and biscuits. It's a little hard to find but well worth the cost. Definitely the coolest feel of any flour I've used.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 4:26:53 AM EDT
[#4]
All Trumps was my first choice and Ardent Mills Kyrol my second choice for high gluten flour. The unbleached and unbromated All Trumps is hard to find. I haven’t been able to find AT or Kyrol locally & the shipping cost puts them out of my reach anyway. The KASL is working out so far.
White Lily all purpose flour at 9% protein is really a cake flour. That’s why biscuits and pancakes made from it are so light and fluffy. I keep a bag on hand just for that. Their bread flour comes in at 13% and is a solid bargain at <$3 for a 5 lb bag. Their website says that they make a range of premium flours that contain some grape seed flour (???), although I’ve never seen any in the stores.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#5]
The bromated version builds stronger gluten faster.

Link Posted: 6/19/2022 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Recently got some King Arthur AP and had really good results with it.  So far I’ve made several loaves of Italian bread and sourdough biscuits with it, my family likes the end results.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 6:22:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Gold Medal All Trumps is really good for a general bread flour. Caputo Blue is really good for a long ferment pizza flour
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#8]
if you have any Mennonites or Amish nearby, their stores may have some different flours. Chef's stores will, as well. If you live near Nashville, here's a place with some neat stuff:  here
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 3:10:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if you have any Mennonites or Amish nearby, their stores may have some different flours. Chef's stores will, as well. If you live near Nashville, here's a place with some neat stuff:  here
View Quote

I got the K A Sir Lancelot flour at Yoder’s.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#10]
We use sir galahad at work for pretty much all the baked goods/ap
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top