Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

WTF would his class go up when he enters a harder division?

Someone going from production to another division may have better hit factors due to less mag changes, major scoring, an optic, etc. but their percentile in that division will likely be similar.
View Quote

My percentile in CO is actually lower than production, bu a little bit. My hit factors in CO are better, by a lot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:29:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Do you even know who Ken Hackathorn is or his background?

You have zero clue what you are talking about, nor did you (and many of you) actually listen with an open mind or absorb what he said.

Aside from him talking about the negatives (and positives) of people who think the RDS is the wheel. I think he really upset the 50-100rd every few months (if not 2-3x a year) at the indoor range crowd who thinks they are competent crowd.  

I do love when Ken picks on the AIWB crowd though, they get their dick all twisted.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuddsplaining why red dots are bad.

I couldn't take too much of that... When he decried how you have a big problem with red dots after the initial shot because you would then have to re-aquire the dot, I lol'd. So this phenomenon doesn't happen with irons? Right.

There is nothing new in that video. "Muh irons are just as gud for self defense range" is derp. Sure 1-7, or 1-10 yards as he said, is the average for self defense. Why not be better-prepared in the event your scenario is not the average? I mean fuck we just had the good Samaritan with a major win at the mall.

Not gonna comment on the rest. It's been done befo.

You have zero clue what you are talking about, nor did you (and many of you) actually listen with an open mind or absorb what he said.

Aside from him talking about the negatives (and positives) of people who think the RDS is the wheel. I think he really upset the 50-100rd every few months (if not 2-3x a year) at the indoor range crowd who thinks they are competent crowd.  

I do love when Ken picks on the AIWB crowd though, they get their dick all twisted.

Why? I'm sitting here with a m65 aiwb right now.

The fact that people can't discuss things like this without getting offended is obnoxious. I would have no problem with having a drink with Mr Hackathorn after he told me I'm stupid for carrying aiwb.

I'm not disagreeing with you. People get twisted around axels about all sorts of shit. It's just retarded. I acknowledge the benefits of the rds, and the negatives and will switch to them eventually. They are good but it's not night and day difference. Carrying aiwb is faster to draw and easier to defend from gun grabs. It's easier to conceal full sized guns and the negatives is if you reholster with your finger on the trigger or use a p320 you may shoot yourself.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 1:55:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He is literally making the same arguments everyone made about red dots on rifles 20 years ago… at great lengths.

You aren’t going to be good with irons on pistol if you don’t practice.
You also aren’t going to be good with a RDS on a pistol if you don’t practice.

My experience is red dots ARE objectively better.
View Quote

Here is the problem, for me. I’ve put in the hours, almost every week, dry fire practicing. I’m good. Fast. I like the red dot.

Problem: the first, cold shot. The one you’ll actually use in a defensive situation. The one that will be even harder when the heat is on.  

It just takes an couple tenths of a second to get an eye on that dot on the first draw and shot. Practice has made it a lot better for me. I can almost get it perfect most of the time and that’s the problem. I need it to be on every time, in an instant. I just don’t trust that I can do that. With irons it’s easy.

So I dunno. I literally took off my dot last week. I didn’t get rid of it, I stuck it on my m11. I want to put it back on, I just don’t know…..
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 2:12:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Where he is off the mark is where he is making the politically correct statement "everyone should try them." Few people are very well served by plunking $300 - $500 into electronics that are going to sit atop a CCW piece.

Red dots on pistols and red dots on rifles are two totally different animals, and folks who try to argue otherwise clearly don't have much time on either platform. Rifles have 2+ points of contact, much better eye relief, and single points of aim (dots) work exceptionally well when you are dealing with a trajectory that allows for +/- 3" from 0 to about 225 yards.

I have yet to see any shooter, pro or otherwise, who is faster, consistently, 7 yards and in, with a red dot on a pistol. Nearly every shooter I've seen is MUCH more accurate with a dot from 10+ yards out, and most are faster as well, many significantly so. That is different from rifles, where a dot is often faster at ALL distances. Dots also make it much easier to train new/low roundcount shooters. That fact alone is likely driving the massive adoption by LE and MIL.

But for most folks, in the CCW arena, they are a liability, despite the wild claims from the keyboard commando crowd.

So for me, it really comes down to what I expect to do with a handgun, and what distances I reasonably expect to be engaging things.
View Quote
I just shot a 1.72 second Bill Drill with my Carry Optics gun.

Is that not faster enough?

Funnily enough, I could see my dot at that speed.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 2:15:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I didn't watch the video but have no interest in one for a carry gun, mainly because it's just something else to fail, gonna get dirty, banged around, adds a different size dimension and limited holster options. Just unnecessary 25 yards and in and not as intuitive imo as good irons. For range, hunting, property/ranch etc. they're cool.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2022 2:21:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So you went from a A class shooter to an A class shooter. Then as you shot more you got better?

Then as even more time progressed and you shot more you went back to irons and you had progressed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just out of curiosity. What ranking were you when you started to use optics and when you switched what division did it bring you up to?

In USPSA was an A-Class Production and Limited when I started shooting Carry Optics. IDPA SSP/ESP MA.

Classed up faster in CO, pretty much stopped shooting irons divisions and would only go back to Limited or Production every now and then to shoot classifiers but found I was just shooting irons far better with less time behind them.

So you went from a A class shooter to an A class shooter. Then as you shot more you got better?

Then as even more time progressed and you shot more you went back to irons and you had progressed.
high hit factors for CO are higher than Limited and Production.

Not exactly apples to apples.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 4:27:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nearly every shooter I've seen is MUCH more accurate with a dot from 10+ yards out

most are faster as well, many significantly so.

Dots also make it much easier to train new/low roundcount shooters.

they are a liability
View Quote

lulz
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 5:30:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I would gladly be a red dot salesman. They are objectively better than irons. That's also why they sell themselves, hence no salesman needed.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 5:32:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Who am I going to listen to? Ken Hackathorn or anonymous basement dwellers in GD?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Who am I going to listen to? Ken Hackathorn or anonymous basement dwellers in GD?

The funny thing is that the "expert" is wrong. This is a great example of the appeal to authority fallacy.

Experts are wrong all the time.

Quoted:

I couldn't take too much of that... When he decried how you have a big problem with red dots after the initial shot because you would then have to re-aquire the dot, I lol'd. So this phenomenon doesn't happen with irons? Right.

There is nothing new in that video. "Muh irons are just as gud for self defense range" is derp. Sure 1-7, or 1-10 yards as he said, is the average for self defense. Why not be better-prepared in the event your scenario is not the average? I mean fuck we just had the good Samaritan with a major win at the mall.

KH may be innumerate. What's the min/max/median? What's the distribution of ranges for self defense? If the average is 10 yards and in,  that means 50% were further out. Also we need statistics for red dot users. I had a training where an ex-fbi agent told us that is someone was shooting at him with a pistol at 50 yards, he would just go behind cover and then shoot them when they got closer. If he had a red dot, he would have just engaged at 50.

Engagement distance statistics are likely out of date.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I find it hilarious that people don't think red dots are faster up close. I guess they haven't shot really fast where you can barely see what you're irons are doing in target transitions,  but shooting the same speed and faster with a dot, you can track your dot crazy-better.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just shot a 1.72 second Bill Drill with my Carry Optics gun.

Is that not faster enough?

Funnily enough, I could see my dot at that speed.
View Quote

How do we know if it's faster? What's your time with irons?
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just out of curiosity. What ranking were you when you started to use optics and when you switched what division did it bring you up to?

In USPSA was an A-Class Production and Limited when I started shooting Carry Optics. IDPA SSP/ESP MA.

Classed up faster in CO, pretty much stopped shooting irons divisions and would only go back to Limited or Production every now and then to shoot classifiers but found I was just shooting irons far better with less time behind them.

Yeah, unless a person shoots a match with both it is hard to compare.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#13]
As I get older, it gets harder to see the front sight. A RDS has solved that problem. And I'm more accurate at 25 yds and further with a red dot then without.

15 yds and in, not a huge difference. And since I still have irons, There's no downside for me.

So, I process that data for myself and make my choices from there.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The red dot on pistols may be good for some of you city guys but mine have been useless about half of the times ive needed them. Too much SXS dust or running outside to smoke a yote in the livestock only to have it fog up everything from the sudden temperature change. not anymore.
View Quote

I shoot my RDS pistol with the front of the optic taped over.

You’re supposed to shoot with both eyes open
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Without actually taking you out to a range and showing you on a timer the easiest way to demonstrate is to point to what Open Division shooters are running. Visible light lasers are legal in USPSA Open and IDPA CO yet statistically zero people use them.  I say statistically zero because I’m sure someone out there is using them, but I’ve never seen it. Hell, I’ve never even heard of it.  In a venue in which people will throw obscene amounts of money in order to gain fractions of seconds over the course of a day, why is that?

Easy… because they do not add anything in terms of performance. Why? You have no user feedback unless you’re already on target.  Even in the scenarios you’re describing they’re slower and I only say that because I’ve done it with both.

Hell, even with a rifle they’re slower.  A visible light laser is legal in PCC Division and I use one for that application, however, it is only useful in an extremely narrow range of circumstances which don’t translate well to the real world. Typical start position is “stock on belt, muzzle downrange”.  If I can start lazing steel and get a round off at the buzzer around 0.3-ish seconds it’s money.  I’ll even pull a double on paper if it’s an open target within 5 meters or so because that’s usually good for 0.6-ish seconds for two Alphas. But anything on paper beyond that it’s faster to use aimed fire and actually bring the rifle up to your shoulder because if you’re reliant upon the laser you’re getting a lot of muzzle movement so your split times are going to be up to double what they would be otherwise. Without the artificial construct of a defined start position it’s just an ounce of dead weight on the gun.

Visible light lasers gargle ballsack on an industrial scale.  There’s a reason nobody really considers them a viable option outside of TV and movies.
View Quote

Okay, you discuss many times "take me out to the range"

Scenario.

Night time, in your house, darkness. You hear a bump in the night.

You have family members.  You have NOT established legally you can even use deadly force.

You turn on your flashlight and scan your premises; if you see something outside your cone you are moving light onto the target.

You should, and need to, identify if the subject, if there is one, is armed.  So you need the weapon low so it doesn't obscure your view.   Do you agree?  If you dont, you may be faster, but you're unsafe and probably going to be at risk at shooting an unarmed man as your weapon is obstructing what you can see.

If the subject is a threat, you have a light on him/her.

At this point you raise the weapon to get a sight picture, and sight through an RDS, OR, with a laser aligned with a flashlight, you are 90% there and you engage.  

FWIW, I have a RDS, it is on my CCW, and I use it.  I have trained with RDS for 25 years and lasers for 30. I would use an RDS for every situation other then the one I am describing.  Nighttime 0200 home defense, darkness, close range. Here I think a green laser/white light is better.

I am getting a strong signal you are talking daylight shooting of cardboard where you are just transitioning, daylight to daylight, minimal ROE decisions, and you are scanning through the sight because there is no decision making involved.

I say again, you cite studies that lasers are slower but you don't produce said studies and you aren't addressing the specific situation I describe.  You just say, they suck.

Ive got enough experience in deadly shoot/no shoot situations to say there is more to this then raw speed, especially under suboptimal conditions. Your USPSA/IDPA experiences are, daylight, no decision making, no shoot/no shoot without a walkthrough, correct?  Because, yeah, Ive done IDPA before, nothing against it, but the conditions and standards are not the same.

That being said, I'm okay with being educated.  As Ive said, I own an RDS and shoot with it regularly, but there are situations where other choices seem better to me. You just don't seem to have the data.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Pallas please enlighten me about Ken Hackathorn and his background.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Really can’t stand the social media slurping.

Hackathon may have plenty of experience in many areas, but that doesn’t mean he’s always right.

Just like that clown glover saying you shouldn’t carry JHP because it won’t penetrate glass or wood, and the internet slurps it up because “I wAs iN sPeCiAl oPs.”
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

People probably said that about AR's.

But I think it will.

https://www.thearmorylife.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/hero-top-5-hellcat-red-dot-optics.jpg

Cheap, unobtrusive, light weight, and most importantly, cool. It'll be as widespread as cheap AR's with cheap Sig/Holosun red dots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will never be the majority.

People probably said that about AR's.

But I think it will.

https://www.thearmorylife.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/hero-top-5-hellcat-red-dot-optics.jpg

Cheap, unobtrusive, light weight, and most importantly, cool. It'll be as widespread as cheap AR's with cheap Sig/Holosun red dots.

Nope. A gun with a thing on it will never be more prevalent than a gun alone. That's what you need to understand. Your analogy isn't accurate. An AR isn't comparable to the prevalence of a pistol with a dot at all. An AR with a red dot is comparable. And they are no where near as prevalent as an AR alone.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll share my recent experience. I've shot pistols for 30 years, never with a red dot, until I bought this PSA 5.7 last month.. It takes me forever to find the dot. I can't raise the pistol up and take a shot without spending a lot of seconds to find the dot. Do I have to get used to it? Maybe that will come with time and training, but right now, a red dot it nothing but a liability for me.

I am not very encouraged so far.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This will no doubt rustle some jimmies!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjlL0hYgdag
View Quote

Tell me again why I should care about his opinion?
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Okay, you discuss many times "take me out to the range"

Scenario.

Night time, in your house, darkness. You hear a bump in the night.

You have family members.  You have NOT established legally you can even use deadly force.

You turn on your flashlight and scan your premises; if you see something outside your cone you are moving light onto the target.

You should, and need to, identify if the subject, if there is one, is armed.  So you need the weapon low so it doesn't obscure your view.   Do you agree?  If you dont, you may be faster, but you're unsafe and probably going to be at risk at shooting an unarmed man as your weapon is obstructing what you can see.

If the subject is a threat, you have a light on him/her.

At this point you raise the weapon to get a sight picture, and sight through an RDS, OR, with a laser aligned with a flashlight, you are 90% there and you engage.  

FWIW, I have a RDS, it is on my CCW, and I use it.  I have trained with RDS for 25 years and lasers for 30. I would use an RDS for every situation other then the one I am describing.  Nighttime 0200 home defense, darkness, close range. Here I think a green laser/white light is better.

I am getting a strong signal you are talking daylight shooting of cardboard where you are just transitioning, daylight to daylight, minimal ROE decisions, and you are scanning through the sight because there is no decision making involved.

I say again, you cite studies that lasers are slower but you don't produce said studies and you aren't addressing the specific situation I describe.  You just say, they suck.

Ive got enough experience in deadly shoot/no shoot situations to say there is more to this then raw speed, especially under suboptimal conditions. Your USPSA/IDPA experiences are, daylight, no decision making, no shoot/no shoot without a walkthrough, correct?  Because, yeah, Ive done IDPA before, nothing against it, but the conditions and standards are not the same.

That being said, I'm okay with being educated.  As Ive said, I own an RDS and shoot with it regularly, but there are situations where other choices seem better to me. You just don't seem to have the data.
View Quote

I also spent a decent portion of my career as a contractor including time in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In your scenario I would still not use a laser because they are slower. Particularly if I have to move and shoot because that’s going to be a mess.

Who do you think it’s impossible or even difficult to see around your gun? If you’re just intent upon finding a “what if” scenario which fits a visible light laser best I have no doubt you could find one.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll share my recent experience. I've shot pistols for 30 years, never with a red dot, until I bought this PSA 5.7 last month.. It takes me forever to find the dot. I can't raise the pistol up and take a shot without spending a lot of seconds to find the dot. Do I have to get used to it? Maybe that will come with time and training, but right now, a red dot it nothing but a liability for me.

View Quote

Try this.

Rather than raise the pistol - push the pistol out.

Instead of extending arm and "raising it" to the sightline, bring it up closer to your body then push it out.

It helps me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Try this.

Instead of extending arm and "raising it" to the sightline, bring it up closer to your body then push it out.

It helps me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try this.

It helps me.

Thanks. I'll try that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, you have to train with it. What you’re experiencing now is an issue with your presentation.

What’s your dryfire schedule look like?
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This is either a bullshit excuse or your eye doctor is as much of an idiot as Hackethorn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have astigmatisms in both eyes.  RDS aren't for me, either on pistols or rifles.

I understand their appeal for some people, though.

This is either a bullshit excuse or your eye doctor is as much of an idiot as Hackethorn.

I know people who have glasses that work great for static shooting,
But the odd positions, etc. Required of certain dynamic gun games have resulted in not finding an optimal setup.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I know people who have glasses that work great for static shooting,
But the odd positions, etc. Required of certain dynamic gun games have resulted in not finding an optimal setup.
View Quote

All my sunglasses and shooting glasses are prescription and I’ve never had any kind of issue with them in odd positions. Why would I?
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Try this.

It helps me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try this.

It helps me.

I agree, it's definitely the way to go for me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Practice, then practice more, then practice more.

You don’t get a proper/fast index naturally nor in a short time period, just like you don’t with irons.  

I’ve been dry firing seriously for a few months now and my index still isn’t always perfect.  Occasionally I fumble with the dot for a couple tenths.   I focus exclusively on the target, draw the gun and the dot “should” be right where I’m looking.  When I don’t screw it up

Generally I spend 30 minutes a day doing various types of dryfire, draws and target transitions.  Sometimes more, sometimes a bit less.  But I try to do MINUMUM 15 minutes per day.

Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The mental gymnastics to justify not using a RDS and/or a light blow my mind. This must have been what this site would have been like in the early 90’s when rifle red dots were first coming into vogue.
View Quote

No mental gymnastics here buddy. I’ve done more dry fire practice than you I’m willing to bet.

And I’ll admit they are better. In theory.

I fully agree with you in regards to lights. There is no justification to not have one.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your one (long range) mall example combined with a few others here and there don’t outweigh the TONS of other examples to the contrary.

Talk about mental gymnastics.  One notable example in recent history and not there are guys going out to the range practicing 40 yards + with a hand gun. Give me a break.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

In no way is this correct.

He has some good points and other areas where he is completely and demonstrably off the mark.

First, the good.

Open emitters are subject to foreign object and debris. Based upon my experience with them in the field this is not as big of an issue as some make it out to be (particularly with moisture), but it is to be considered. Closed emitter optics largely mitigate these concerns.

If you don't train, or only shoot a couple of times a year under completely benign conditions a MRDS is a poor choice for you. They are not without a learning curve. If you expect to just pick it up and go to work expect to have a bad time.

Cost? Yes, but that goes without saying.

The bad  Where to begin?

He completely underestimates the benefits and skill building properties of dryfire. With a crushing support hand grip you are absolutely setting yourself up for gains in terms of transitions and doubles. You do need to confirm in live fire but to act as though there is so transitional benefit is simply untrue.

His statement that "if I spent 100,000 rounds shooting with irons and training to focus on the front sight it will take 100,001 rounds to train myself to focus on the target."  Aside from the fact that under most conditions target focus with irons out to reasonable ranges has been accepted practice for well over a decade, this is 100% bullshit. I've trained long time iron sight shooters to overcome this over a weekend course. This is easy to demonstrate.

"They provide no performance benefit from contact distance to 10 yards". Again, complete horseshit. Go to a USPSA or IDPA match and compare speed and accuracy from class to class between Production and CO or ESP to CO. There is a measurable performance delta in speed and accuracy. This has been demonstrated in the Sage Dynamics Whitepaper and elsewhere.

Comparing visible light lasers to MRDSs as a trend. Not comparable. Why? Timers exist. Lasers never showed a performance advantage and are measurably inferior to aimed fire. The potential performance delta of a MRDS is measurable.

As an aside, I was a little surprised with his statement about "I've put a LOT of rounds through these guns" that he's owned in some cases for years. Come to find out it's about 20k rounds for all of them. I don't really consider that a lot of someone who's entire life revolves around shooting or even a serious hobbyist.

Also  the garbage about WMLs sounds like an old man yelling at clouds. Go to a low light force on force or even a night action shoot. Run it with a handheld and then with a WML. Compare scores and get back to me.
View Quote

For those who are unaware, 45-Seventy knows their shit, they just tend to be quite modest about it in many posts.  It has saved me oodles of money and frustration to listen to them, and everything they claim is backed up by rigorous testing, evidence, and many times pictures.  All of this is doubly or triply so with RDS on pistols.

IOW, pay attention to 45-Seventy and you just might learn some shit.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Bucket?

I don’t understand this comment.

There’s very little difference between a holster for an iron sighted pistol and one with a dot.

In fact in some cases they’re identical.
View Quote

Not when you carry aiwb. Even with my 507k it sticks out around .65 of an inch. It’s absolutely noticeable.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I changed the picture with a screen shot instead to show the price.  I mean $369 for the gun and red dot?  Not bad for a red dot starter gun to see if you like it.  The whole thing is cheaper than just a Trijicon RMR
View Quote

Yeah, cheap shit that will break and turn a lot of people off to them and back to irons.

I really don’t get what’s hard about this. I’m shocked at the number of guys who are trying to use red dots on rifles s some kind of legit comparison or parallel. It’s not. Not even remotely.

I’ll say it again, the characteristics of a red dot are nothing like how they are on a hand gun. Except for there being a dot, of course.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No mental gymnastics here buddy. I’ve done more dry fire practice than you I’m willing to bet.

And I’ll admit they are better. In theory.

I fully agree with you in regards to lights. There is no justification to not have one.
View Quote

They’re better in practice when you’re tracking performance, too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yep. It'll keep gaining popularity until it's basically the norm.
View Quote

Like betamax tapes.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh look, someone talking even though they don’t know what they’re talking about. Glasses don’tfix astigmatism. Unless they can magically fix the shape of your eyeballs.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Red dots and iron sights are for pussies.  I close my eyes and use the Force.
This is just another useless argument where you get to play smarter than the other guy. F all that.  Use whichever you prefer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#39]
When I first started taking shooting more seriously, I did the entire Alias Training rotation including his class and Vickers.  

What he said here did not surprise me as it's a continuation of his usual 'Sometimes the old ways are the best' line of thinking.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:00:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not when you carry aiwb. Even with my 507k it sticks out around .65 of an inch. It’s absolutely noticeable.
View Quote

I was specifically talking about holsters, the guy said “gun bucket” as if there’s some giant apparatus needed to carry a RDS gun.  When in fact in many cases you can use the exact same holster for both, depending on the holster design of course.

I’m aware there’s a size difference with a mounted optic.  It’s negligible even for AIWB.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's going to be funny when cheap pistols with cheap red dots become super widespread and people new to guns start with the dot. And never shoot iron sights. It's going to happen.
View Quote

Already did for me as a zoomer

My first and only handgun is a G17 with an RMR

ETA some of my zoomer friends it’s the same. And I have some others who said when they turn 21 they want a pistol with an optic cut so they can get a dot, this after they shot my gun with the dot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:Do you even know who Ken Hackathorn is or his background?  You have zero clue what you are talking about, nor did you (and many of you) actually listen with an open mind or absorb what he said.  Aside from him talking about the negatives (and positives) of people who think the RDS is the wheel. I think he really upset the 50-100rd every few months (if not 2-3x a year) at the indoor range crowd who thinks they are competent crowd.  I do love when Ken picks on the AIWB crowd though, they get their dick all twisted.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Stop being poor. Put a red dot on your pistol.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Your one (long range) mall example combined with a few others here and there don’t outweigh the TONS of other examples to the contrary.

Talk about mental gymnastics.  One notable example in recent history and not there are guys going out to the range practicing 40 yards + with a hand gun. Give me a break.
View Quote

I don’t understand people who refuse to train because muh average

You don’t train for the odds you train for the stakes. I don’t train to shoot my pistol at 50yd because it’s the most likely scenario. I train for it because if I need to defend myself at that range the stakes are my life or that of those I love.

Not to mention that if you can shoot fast far away up close feels like cheating
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:I find it hilarious that people don't think red dots are faster up close. I guess they haven't shot really fast where you can barely see what you're irons are doing in target transitions,  but shooting the same speed and faster with a dot, you can track your dot crazy-better.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Oh look, someone talking even though they don’t know what they’re talking about. Glasses don’tfix astigmatism. Unless they can magically fix the shape of your eyeballs.
View Quote

Umm. That’s exactly what they correct.

They even make contact lenses for astigmatism.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

MRDSs have been widely available for about a decade and they keep gaining in use and popularity.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You should learn by doing.

Shoot a lot.  Run drills.  Take classes from people who have demonstrated high performance.

Compete against others that are better than you. Learn what they do better and emulate it.

Buy a timer.  Train to standards.  Track your own performance.

Build skill.

That's what you should do.
View Quote
It's easier and cheaper to do none of those things and argue down people who do by using appeals to authority.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's going to be funny when cheap pistols with cheap red dots become super widespread and people new to guns start with the dot. And never shoot iron sights. It's going to happen.

https://i.postimg.cc/Qt9gMZYw/Screenshot-20221022-210250-Chrome.jpg

That probably doubled the price of that gun.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:All my sunglasses and shooting glasses are prescription and I’ve never had any kind of issue with them in odd positions. Why would I?
View Quote

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top