Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2021 1:58:00 AM EDT
I will be purchasing some rural acreage soon.

Plan on having some animals. Goats, rabbits and chickens to start.

Looking for a LSG type of dog.  I have been researching them and the characteristics, temperament , and life span of Kangals caught my eye. Interesting breed.

In researching  them, they sound like exactly what I am looking for. It is the temperament they are said to possess that impresses me.

I have trained and owned "sharp" Rotties for over 40 years. I have worked with GSDs, Dobermans, Pit Bulls  so I am not inexperienced and have owned some tough hard dominant dogs.

However, that is not what I am looking for in this instance. Again, what I have read about the Kangal and what they are said to be is exactly what I am looking for.

For those of you that owned/own Kangals, I would appreciate your thoughts.

The Kangal is a breed I have no experience with and never personally even met one.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine is half anatolian, half pyrenees.  But she acts 100% anatolian. I think..
Very smart, stubborn, and lives to watch for anything to intrude on her sphere of influence. Anything out of place gets a low growl, followed by a louder growl, then closed mouth "boof" barks. No one comes into my home without her permission,  yet she recognizes family and friends who are in the circle by sight.
I take her with me to work, in the truck, and she is content to sit in the truck and not allow anyone to approach the vehicle. If I step out, she lays down. I work in a diverse area, and have issues where using a firearm may be career limiting. She is very intimidating apparently, as diverse people now avoid my vehicle entirely.
Loves to play. Plays pretty rough, she is 115lbs at 12 months. Sheds plenty. I often look like I am wearing some kind of fur coat. She will do what she instinctually thinks is correct, with or without your consent. A good shock collar and training is mandatory as are do not pet tags on her harness for the bass pro trips.
Your results may differ, as dogs are individuals.  
Above all, she is smart, and loves her family. I am absolutely pleased to have her.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine is half anatolian, half pyrenees.  But she acts 100% anatolian. I think..
Very smart, stubborn, and lives to watch for anything to intrude on her sphere of influence. Anything out of place gets a low growl, followed by a louder growl, then closed mouth "boof" barks. No one comes into my home without her permission,  yet she recognizes family and friends who are in the circle by sight.
I take her with me to work, in the truck, and she is content to sit in the truck and not allow anyone to approach the vehicle. If I step out, she lays down. I work in a diverse area, and have issues where using a firearm may be career limiting. She is very intimidating apparently, as diverse people now avoid my vehicle entirely.
Loves to play. Plays pretty rough, she is 115lbs at 12 months. Sheds plenty. I often look like I am wearing some kind of fur coat. She will do what she instinctually thinks is correct, with or without your consent. A good shock collar and training is mandatory as are do not pet tags on her harness for the bass pro trips.
Your results may differ, as dogs are individuals.  
Above all, she is smart, and loves her family. I am absolutely pleased to have her.
View Quote

Thanks !!   That is pretty much spot on in concert with  what I have read about the breed and thier temperament and characteristics . They are said to be very safe ( excellent) around children and have a surprisingly long life expectancy for such a large breed.
I have started my search for one.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top