Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  It's an Ar15 lower. Because of that they have some similar dimensions. Just like any AR lower.

However the KP15 is designed from the ground up as a new product. Mold flow analysis was used. It was designed from the beginning to use linear vibration welding(the CAV15 was designed for sonic welding). Etc, etc, etc.
Really my entire point is that people are doing the KP15 a disservice at this point continuing to compare it with the Cav15.
View Quote

I have a Mk 1, Mk 2, have had numerous Sabres, and a GWACS.  My KP-15 seems a little heavier, and I'm delighted w/ it.  But it seems an evolution from the Mk 2 - a great improvement, so I'd like to hear how the internal reinforcement has been radically improved over the Mk 2 that was already very strong.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:02:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's an Ar15 lower. Because of that they have some similar dimensions. Just like any AR lower.

However the KP15 is designed from the ground up as a new product. Mold flow analysis was used. It was designed from the beginning to use linear vibration welding(the CAV15 was designed for sonic welding). Etc, etc, etc.
Really my entire point is that people are doing the KP15 a disservice at this point continuing to compare it with the Cav15.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  The similarities between the KP15 and CAV15 end at the external appearance.

Er, no.  The mechanical features and the internal features are very similar.  The KP-15 has improved welding, better fit & finish, an improved polymer, a mag well funnel, and a better pistol grip.  But even the reinforcement behind the carbine buffer tube is very likely near identical to the Cav Arms Mk 2.

It's an Ar15 lower. Because of that they have some similar dimensions. Just like any AR lower.

I respectfully disagree. Its quite natural to compare it to a CAV15.  I have both and can set them on the bench and see the similarities as well as the differences.  The basic concepts are the same, its in the detailed execution where they differ. And, comparing them does no disservice to the KP at all, rather it gives a basis of comparison to show how the KP has improved upon the concept. It one looks over the link I provided on an earlier post they will learn that the monolithic AR lower is in fact a very old concept dating back  to Colt's prototypes decades ago. The early Colt examples suffered from the limitations of materials and technology of the time just as the KP lower now benefits from lessons learned from the CAV. Its an evolutionary process and one should expect that the KP would get an edge due to lessons learned on the CAV15.

So, its very appropriate to compare the two lowers. When one compares they are better able to see what advances have taken place and also see the detail work the KP designers have improved upon. But, ask yourself this simple question: If there had never been a CAV15 would this KP lower exist today in its current form? Cav Arms invested a lot of thought, effort and money to design and improve the CAV 15 lower. It raised the bar on what a monolithic lower could be. Along the way they did the best they could with what they had to work with at the time to make a good lower. The KP benefited from those lessons. Now some smart people at KE are raising the bar a bit higher.  Therefore, its only fair to compare the two so that one can see the evolution of the breed and appreciate the effort KE Arms put into improving this type  lower.

I own both the CAV and the KP and can compare them side by side. I have LOTS of years with my CAVs and hope to do the same with the KPs. And of course, knowing the CAV so well I do compare the new KP to it. Its just natural.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:23:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I respectfully disagree. Its quite natural to compare it to a CAV15.  I have both and can set them on the bench and see the similarities as well as the differences.  The basic concepts are the same, its in the detailed execution where they differ. And, comparing them does no disservice to the KP at all, rather it gives a basis of comparison to show how the KP has improved upon the concept. It one looks over the link I provided on an earlier post they will learn that the monolithic AR lower is in fact a very old concept dating back  to Colt's prototypes decades ago. The early Colt examples suffered from the limitations of materials and technology of the time just as the KP lower now benefits from lessons learned from the CAV. Its an evolutionary process and one should expect that the KP would get an edge due to lessons learned on the CAV15.

So, its very appropriate to compare the two lowers. When one compares they are better able to see what advances have taken place and also see the detail work the KP designers have improved upon. But, ask yourself this simple question: If there had never been a CAV15 would this KP lower exist today in its current form? Cav Arms invested a lot of thought, effort and money to design and improve the CAV 15 lower. It raised the bar on what a monolithic lower could be. Along the way they did the best they could with what they had to work with at the time to make a good lower. The KP benefited from those lessons. Now some smart people at KE are raising the bar a bit higher.  Therefore, its only fair to compare the two so that one can see the evolution of the breed and appreciate the effort KE Arms put into improving this type  lower.

I own both the CAV and the KP and can compare them side by side. I have LOTS of years with my CAVs and hope to do the same with the KPs. And of course, knowing the CAV so well I do compare the new KP to it. Its just natural.  
View Quote
Plus, both the Cav-15 and the KP-15 were designed by the same person.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:30:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What's BBC?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If parts were a little easier to come by, I'd snag BBC a few... I don't need to build anything right now though and parts are to spendy for "just because" builds

What's BBC?

Something that his phone autocorrects to?  Probably a deep and abiding affinity for the British Broadcast Corporation.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  Plus, both the Cav-15 and the KP-15 were designed by the same person.
View Quote

?  Your source for that info?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:43:11 AM EDT
[#7]
My 2 black lowers arrived a couple weeks ago, and my FDE ones are still on order... can't wait!

I love it; mindblowing how light it is.

Also, this is a good video on the history of polymer monolythic lowers.
History of the Monolithic Polymer AR: From Colt to KE Arms
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:44:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Plus, both the Cav-15 and the KP-15 were designed by the same person.

@sinistralrifleman

One of the co-owners of Cavarms and now working at KE Arms. He is in the KP-15 videos.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:48:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  @sinistralrifleman

One of the co-owners of Cavarms and now working at KE Arms. He is in the KP-15 videos.
View Quote

Sinistralrifleman owns KE Arms.  My understanding is he worked at Cav Arms.  I don't think he designed the Cav Arms Mk 1 or Mk 2, but I'll happily let him clarify.  (Corrected, see his post below.)
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:53:17 AM EDT
[#10]
So is my understanding correct that an A2 butt plate / trapdoor assembly will work with the KP15?

Just thought I’d add that I’ve had mine for a few weeks and it’s excellent. I had to replace the safety selector detent spring. The one it came with was too short and the selector would rotate freely with no tactile or audible “click” at either position. A standard selector detent spring was the perfect fit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:55:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sinistralrifleman owns KE Arms.  My understanding is he worked at Cav Arms.  I don't think he designed the Cav Arms Mk 1 or Mk 2, but I'll happily let him clarify.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  @sinistralrifleman

Sinistralrifleman owns KE Arms.  My understanding is he worked at Cav Arms.  I don't think he designed the Cav Arms Mk 1 or Mk 2, but I'll happily let him clarify.
I think you are correct. Russell was involved heavily in the IP of the CAV-15, and the negotiations with GWACS, but perhaps didn't design it per se.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:01:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  So is my understanding correct that an A2 butt plate / trapdoor assembly will work with the KP15?

Just thought I’d add that I’ve had mine for a few weeks and it’s excellent. I had to replace the safety selector detent spring. The one it came with was too short and the selector would rotate freely with no tactile or audible “click” at either position. A standard selector detent spring was the perfect fit.
View Quote

My understanding is that any A1 or A2 butt plate assembly will fit.  Think you'll need an A1 length top screw, however, as an A2 will be too long.

My plan is to remove the KE Arms safety & drill out the safety detent channel so I can adjust the spring tension w/ a grub screw, like my NcStar Vism thumbholes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:08:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My understanding is that any A1 or A2 butt plate assembly will fit.  Think you'll need an A1 length top screw, however, as an A2 will be too long.
View Quote

I hadn't thought of that, hope the KP15 buttplate screws will get the job done. I've got an A2 butt plate assembly ready to go, though I'm sure as soon as I get my FDE lowers in @SinistralRifleman will announce some fancy new KE Arms trapdoor parts.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:11:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  I hadn't thought of that, hope the KP15 buttplate screws will get the job done. I've got an A2 butt plate assembly ready to go, though I'm sure as soon as I get my FDE lowers in @SinistralRifleman will announce some fancy new KE Arms trapdoor parts.
View Quote

Yeah, I need to remember to swap a CavArms or Sabre buttplate w/ the KE Arms, gets some pics of the storage compartment.  Never know when I might decide it needs a National Match upper and put a lead slug in the cleaning compartment.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:31:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Not sure why, since most pistols are F'n polymer, but could never do it. Plus I'm all set on those stocks, unless I needed a gun to keep in my canoe.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:01:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:03:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:31:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Ehh, probably going to have to buy a few just because...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#19]
And the record is set straight yet again! :) I remember a year and a half ago asking about the GWACs lowers and Russel posted that stuff was in the works! Really glad yall came through!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The similarities between the KP15 and CAV15 end at the external appearance.

The KP15 is light-years ahead of the Cav15.
View Quote

Is this the same Bye Felicia who liked this post by wobblie on 1911addicts forum? Just checking

"Better CNN and NPR than to be lied to by Tucker Carlson and the rest of that Fox bunch.
The Biden administration will focus on the “well regulated” part of the 2d Amendment and it’s past time.
I hope to never see another militia idiot at some state Capitol intimidating people with an AR. Common sense and good judgement seems to have left the gun owner community, replaced with QAnon paranoia and civil war fantasies. Screw that."
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Is this the same Bye Felicia who liked this post by wobblie on 1911addicts forum? Just checking
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The similarities between the KP15 and CAV15 end at the external appearance.

The KP15 is light-years ahead of the Cav15.

No. What the fuck does this even have to do with this thread?

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#22]
So, back to topic...  I need a barrel for a build for this... anyone know of places with them in stock? Going to get LPKs for em first though.

Also, anyone have an idea on a timeline for the FDE lowers?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  So, back to topic...  I need a barrel for a build for this... anyone know of places with them in stock? Going to get LPKs for em first though.

Also, anyone have an idea on a timeline for the FDE lowers?
View Quote

Green Mountain blank to Paladin Machine of SC.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

"Better CNN and NPR than to be lied to by Tucker Carlson and the rest of that Fox bunch.
The Biden administration will focus on the “well regulated” part of the 2d Amendment and it’s past time.
I hope to never see another militia idiot at some state Capitol intimidating people with an AR. Common sense and good judgement seems to have left the gun owner community, replaced with QAnon paranoia and civil war fantasies. Screw that."
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A complete fabrication, and nothing I've ever said or "liked".
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:02:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:  A complete fabrication, and nothing I've ever said or "liked".
View Quote

You're an underscore, clearly not the same guy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:14:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Reading these threads is like playing an adult version of the telephone game when people could just ask me.  All of this is also documented on my blog for public record.

There is no patent, trademark, or otherwise any intellectual property protection related to monolithic polymer receivers.  The existence of the Colt design is one reason Cavalry Arms Corp never pursued this.  

I did NOT design the CAV-15 or the CAV-15 MKII

I did work for Cavalry Arms Corp from 2001-2010

I am NOT the owner of KE Arms.  I have worked as the sales and Marketing Director there since 2015.  I have served as the KP-15 program manager since 2019.

KE Arms owns one of the two remaining Colt Monolithic Polymer receiver M16s.

Frankly the CAV-15 is amateurish compared to the KP-15.   I learned a lot about what NOT to do working for Cavalry Arms Corp.  I know exactly how the sausage was made and every problem with that design.

The CAV-15 MKII wasn't made to work with linear vibration welding.  That was a retro fit when sonic welding failed to work.  The magwell was consistently a weak point weld wise.  As was portions of the buffer tube.  They were made using a variety of plastics with radically different shrink rates and some welded better than others.  The grip in retrospect looks and feels like a potato.  They were designed before PMAGs existed and they often didn't drop free and the bolt catch didn't work consistently.  They also haven't been sold since 2018 and haven't been produced since 2013.

The KP-15 was designed from the ground up in conjunction with the mold maker, material supplier, welder manufacturer and mold flow analysis.  The KP-15 uses a more robust specced material for consistency and durability.  The weld between halves is drastically stronger and more consistent.  It is designed to work with Gen 3 PMAGS from the start.  The grip is more akin to a Magpul or X-Tech grip.  It incorporates a flared magwell for faster reloads.  It has a QD socket location for sling attachments.  The slot at the rear accepts MLOK accessories.  The detents in the pivot and take down pins are several times larger.  And they are sold at an MSRP less than CAV-15 MKIIs were ever sold at.  There’s more I could get into but I’m not going to make it even easier for a competitor to enter the market place.  
View Quote

@SinistralRifleman

You keep your logic and counterpoints to yourself - I still have a dozen Sabre Defense lowers to sell off from the Dallas Black Friday Sale of 2017
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I would love to find a Sabre Defense lower....just because I don't have one.....  I missed any sales  on them at the time they blew them out.  I hear the prices were insane.

Well, as for the KP FDE, I have one on back order from Brownells. Of course they may have a thousand other people waiting for them also, but I hope to see the FDE one ship sometime in the near future.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:12:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:17:06 AM EDT
[#31]
When they tell you a  two-stage trigger won't work, they mean it!  Just for fun I tried one of my RRA two-stages and it would not fire. I see the issue and see a work around but it involves removing a little material off of the back heel of the trigger to allow it a little more travel. I don't want to do this as that same area is what allows the safety to function and I have no desire to risk losing a reliable safety. I did do a spring kit with the factory trigger and got the original near nine pound pull down to about 6-1/2-7 pounds. Still too high but better than what it was. Completed the build with a light weight mid-length 16inch CMMG barrel with a 1-12 twist....made for light 40-55 grain bullets, and topped it off with a Primary Arms 2.5 sight. Now, when the weather improves a bit (no -6 windchill factor) I will hit the range and see how she works.

Note on the PA sight: I have a Burris 3x prism sight and its more compact and lighter than the  PA 2.5. I like the larger reticle on the PA but the size of the Burris is much more desirable. Of course my wallet is also lighter after paying much more for the Burris. Also, the object lens on the PA is much larger and this gives it a better, brighter image. On the other hand the Burris seems better built, not that the PA seems poor in any regards. Fact is when price is considered the PA is a good value over all. I might pick up another one of the PA's for one of my 9mm PCCs.

I now await the FDE lower....
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:26:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Production started last week.  Shipments begin next week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, as for the KP FDE, I have one on back order from Brownells. Of course they may have a thousand other people waiting for them also, but I hope to see the FDE one ship sometime in the near future.

Production started last week.  Shipments begin next week.

I’ll be picking one of those up when available, thanks!

I do color schemes for weapons and That’d be perfect for a light hunting 6.5G rifle I have in mind.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Thinking of ordering a Stripped KP-15 from Brownells.

I have a few parts kits set aside that have my preferred parts in them. I shoot long guns lefty so I require" Geissele SSA and Maritime Bolt Catch, Forward controls Ambi Mag release, Radian Short throw safety, and use a Magpul enhanced mag release. I have plenty of rebuild kits so like they say "parts kits and stripped receivers turn into complete guns.

Trying to figure out what upper to go with!!!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Something light.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#35]
It seems like a rather obvious evolutionary step for the AR that took way too long to get here. Just wasn't a fan aesthetically of the Cav Arms MK2. The KP-15 looks more serious; 'less gumby like' as one person said.

Similar price of a regular forged aluminum lower and you get a free buffer tube, stock, pistol grip, and trigger guard. Plus it's lighter!

I picked up a stripped one from Brownells and it's pretty nice. The weld flash milling isn't perfect, but it's serviceable. I'm waiting on a pencil barrel and slick sided upper. Not going full WWSD2020 spec, but a 6lb (with red dot) carbine without going super gucci.
I really like that there's no gap between the trigger guard and pistol grip. Always disliked that about the AR, especially when it's at high ready and that gap is pinching the side of my middle finger.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I just ordered some lightweight takedown pins from GWACS.  Let's see if they deliver:

https://www.gwacsarmory.com/cav-15-light-weight-pivot-and-takedown-pin-set/

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#37]
1st Look KP-15 & Ballistic Advantage Upper
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:02:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Great video...I enjoy watching these sort of things. Many people have zero idea of how things are actually produced.

What is interesting is some people think these should be "cheap" to buy as it doesn't seem to take much to make them; "a little plastic and a few  minutes".  Of course what they totally and completely ignore, likely because they are not knowledgeable how things come to be, is that someone had to put up a LOT of money to design this, do the engineering to make it, prototype it, test it and then spend some major coin getting the molds made and perfected. You have to take a "best guess" at how many you will be able to sell to make back your major investment. In the automotive world we would spend several billions of dollars (yes, billions with a "B") to bring a new car to market. Design, testing, prototypes, building all the molds, dies and machines to build it, etc. it takes years to make your money back. Hopefully KE Arms will do well with this lower. The great thing about it is they can produce them quickly when the market demands it. The major expense is behind them and now they can start earning back on their investment. I always hope companies can profit on good items as it fuels the capital to develop the next great product.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:33:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Any of you guys having issues with drop in triggers? I have two and neither will fit without removing material at the forward part of the trigger well where it sits. Been too lazy to get a grinder out but wasn’t expecting to have to do that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Any of you guys having issues with drop in triggers? I have two and neither will fit without removing material at the forward part of the trigger well where it sits. Been too lazy to get a grinder out but wasn’t expecting to have to do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From KE Arms website:

*Match Trigger Compatibility.  
The front lower portion of the KP-15 fire control area has a radius.  This is a fact of plastic design for mold release and strength.  Some cassette style triggers with large housings that fill the entire fire control group may not fit.  Do not force a cassette trigger into place; you may damage your receiver doing so.

Known Compatible Match Triggers
KE Arms DMR
KE Arms SLT-1
KE Arms SLT-2

Fits But needs new hardware:
Rise Armament RA-535 Fits into the fire control pocket, but will need a longer captured hammer pin.

Known Incompatible Triggers
Triggertech- Does not fit in fire control pocket; holes do not line up due to housing size.
CMC- Does not fit in fire control pocket; holes do not line up due to housing size.

http://www.kearms.com/KP-15-polymer-receiver.aspx
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Ouch both my versions I have wont fit. When I preordered I don't think this info was out yet.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#43]
A little Dremeling and you'll be set.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the old sabre lower, but I had to do some filing to get an mbt to fit in it. It was too wide

Btw anyone know if a G maritime bolt catch will work on those or the kp15?

The idea of a bolt catch that costs more than my lower just makes me laaafff
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Trigger compatibility list:
http://www.kearms.com/KP-15-Match-Trigger-Compatibility.aspx

This is being updated as we receive feedback from customers and test triggers.
View Quote

@SinistralRifleman

Can confirm Aim Surplus's SSAT fixes like a dream
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:24:50 AM EDT
[#47]
I think I mentioned that my RRA 2-stage would fit in but would not function properly. It appears a little material could be removed to make it work but I don't want to start grinding as it could result in the safety not functioning properly. I am just going to order the KE DRM trigger and play it safe. I would have ordered the lower with that trigger but it was unavailable at the time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Still waiting for my LGS to get the DMR version, I want to use it on a 20" bull barrel upper that I have sitting around.
Then one for my 16" 300 BO upper...
Jeeze, this never ends does it?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch both my versions I have wont fit. When I preordered I don't think this info was out yet.

I would be grateful to know where the Geissele SSA falls, in your list.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top