Justified Anchor Shot? (Page 3 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:16:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

LOL.  Really?
View Quote

Yup. Given the context of the video, this is no different than the airman in Florida opening his apartment door with a pistol in his hand getting ventilated.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:18:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By mc556:

I respect your opinion, but make no mistake you are wrong.
This isn’t a video game and cops aren’t superhuman.   How many times did you get to watch the video before you came to a conclusion?  They don’t get that chance and innocent life is at risk.  The guy had chance after chance to surrender and passed on every opportunity.  What is it you think he was doing?   I’ll tell you what. He was trying to create space and stall for time to gain some advantage.  

View Quote

I watched the video once and made my decision.

I don’t disagree that he had multiple chances to end the day breathing.

A weapon in someone’s hands doesn’t make them an immediate threat.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:20:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
The funniest thing to me is shitlibs wanted body cameras.

I was actually in total agreement. Hey that's fair, let's see what's going on and if what you're claiming is real.

(Body cams become common place) Now definitely it does catch a few cops doing the wrong thing but mostly they're just doing pretty much exactly what they should be doing
View Quote

And the body cams are never mentioned when NPR and other leftists continue to run anti cop race baiting bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:23:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By norseman1:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/landing-page-double-take-354.gif

umm... thats going to be a solid "NO"

Hoodrat was refusing direct commands and was trying to evade/escape. Nobody "waits" for shit to escalate at that point.

All he had to do was place his hands up and let one of the officers retrieve the weapon.

There is ZERO reason to believe he was not a threat at that point.

What, he rotates his hat to one side makes you some how believe he was off to choir practice or something?
View Quote

Hood rat. Are you calling him that because he’s black? I’m not saying he was going to cure cancer someday, but do you know more about him and the situation than was given in the video? Or are you just jumping on the bandwagon?

You have to wait for the threat to escalate before you can act. Given the context of the video, this police shooting is no different than the airman in Florida getting murdered by cops for showing up to his own door with a pistol in his hands.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:24:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Also, not taking a gun to the park would probably work too.
View Quote

So you are saying people shouldn’t exercise their rights to carry weapons wherever they want?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:24:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Grumple:
He still had the gun in his hamd and was moving.

Zero fucks given.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:38:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#7]
Originally Posted By Naffenea:

Yup. Given the context of the video, this is no different than the airman in Florida opening his apartment door with a pistol in his hand getting ventilated.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

LOL.  Really?

No different?

I'm going to guess that it's illegal to carry in that park. It's not illegal to have a gun in your apartment.

This guy was given 87 verbal commands, from officers with guns drawn, for 30+ seconds and ignored them. In that 30 seconds, this guy never really showed clear intent to surrender. When told to not pull out the gun, or he would be shot, he pulled a gun out of his pocket... Then got shot.

The Airman took about 1.5 seconds to submit, but the deputy shot him anyway. And he didn't pull a gun out in front of a cop telling him not to. It was already in his hands.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:43:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

No different?

I'm going to guess that it's illegal to carry in that park. It's not illegal to have a gun in your apartment.

This guy was given 87 verbal commands, from officers with guns drawn, for 30+ seconds and ignored them. In that 30 seconds, this guy never really showed clear intent to surrender.

The Airman took about 1.5 seconds to submit, but the deputy shot him anyway.
View Quote

Carrying a firearm in a park is a death penalty offense in Long Beach?

Zero difference.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:51:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Zero difference.
View All Quotes

No different?

This guy was given 87 verbal commands, from officers with guns drawn, for 30+ seconds and ignored them. In that 30 seconds, this guy never really showed clear intent to surrender.

Zero difference.

He wasn't shot for carrying it.

He was shot for pulling it out of his pocket, right after the two cops with guns pointed at him, explicitly told him not to do that. They also told him exactly what would happen if he did it. If you were these cops, how much longer do you wait?

That Airman was given zero opportunity to comply. And he didn't pull a gun out on the cops, it was already in his hand.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:15:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:23:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By WhatsGnu:

Reclined just doesn't convey, though.
View Quote

Supine is flat on one's back. Reclined is part of the way there.

And anchoring shots are good with me. If it's worth shooting, it's worth shooting all the way
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:07:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Your1Savior] [#12]
No fucks given as to the shots, but they're giving contradicting commands.

One guy is yelling to take his hands out of his pockets and the other is yelling drop the gun.  Dipshit takes the gun out of his pocket to either drop it as instructed or to shoot it.  We didn't quite get that far to find out.

Again, I'll have a Coke but don't have 2 people giving different commands
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:25:58 AM EDT
[#13]
He was Black and he put his left hand up in a defensive position multiple times and kept the gun pointing down with his finger off the trigger.  Stupid cops murdered him.  They should only have shot if he leveled the gun at them.

I'm trying to absorb the lessons from the other police shooting thread.  Did I do it right?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:09:13 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Lol, you're free to be cognitively deficient.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:26:27 AM EDT
[#15]
That wasn't an anchor shot. Bad guy was still in the fight.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:45:36 AM EDT
[#16]
When he decided to skin that smoke wagon..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:27:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:
I do not like the way people here throw around the phrase, "anchor shot". A person who is still a threat can't be anchor shot. Being down on the ground does not mean out of the fight.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:19:24 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Agreed on your last sentence, problem is that’s not the ONLY thing that happened here.

It’s the backing away and ignoring 45 seconds of instructions telling him NOT to do what he did, then doing it anyways.

If you tell someone not to pull their gun out, repeatedly, while you have firearms pointed at them, and they ignore you and do it anyways, what would a reasonable person think they intend to do with it?

Seriously.  Cops don’t need to get shot at first to justify shooting someone who ignores commands and pulls a weapon on them.  

Again, some people on this forum….

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:33:34 AM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
Looks justified to me…

ETA: doesn’t prone mean you’re on your stomach? MF is on his back with a gun still in his hand…

Supine is the word you're looking for.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:40:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SS65] [#20]
Originally Posted By mike240:
Too many cops giving commands. It only takes one. Because there always ends being conflicting commands.  Simple concepts of contact cover, been taught for decades. And fucked up usually.
View Quote
Based on just the video alone that's my first impression- conflicting orders from the cops. Under the stress of having so many guns pointed at him it's easy to see how he could have understood "drop the gun" to mean "drop the gun on the ground." He never did raise the gun or even get the time to drop it. He very well may have been trying to comply with the cop's orders as he understood them. Justifiable shoot? Sure. But cop, also under stress and conditioned to "see gun, shoot" may have been just a hair too quick on the trigger. Could easily see any otherwise law abiding citizen making the same mistake as the guy that got shot.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Try supine. See if that flows better.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#22]
So, what was the backstory that precipitated the LEO response? The video begins with the black guy walking through a park with his hands (and the gun) in his pocket as the police roll up on him. Had he previously been threatening someone?

Either way, dumb to draw a firearm in that scenario.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Looks justified to me…

ETA: doesn’t prone mean you’re on your stomach? MF is on his back with a gun still in his hand…
View Quote

Supine would be the correct term.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By doc540:
after all, though prone and leaking he did keep it in his hand and raise it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r8wijZsy8Q
View Quote

Very shitty police commands. Contradicting.
This is a problem.
The cops yelled "drop the gun" a handful of times before he showed he had a gun. One could argue that he was trying to "drop the gun" when he took it out.

They should have never have told him to drop the gun that was concealed in his pocket.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Zero difference.
View Quote

I wasn’t planning to dog  pile. But, since you doubled down, here it is.

You are wrong. You should educate yourself on both the law and tactics. As for the common sense part, you just have to play the hand you were dealt.

If a person was in your house, would it justify shooting them? I mean, it might be a birthday party.

What if it was a person in your house at 2:00AM, uninvited?

With a butcher knife?

At some point, seemingly benign things add up. It’s called totality.

But, you think it was just “having a gun in a park.”

Muh, rats. Lol

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TaskForce:
I've never liked the term anchor shot.
View Quote

It’s edgelord bs.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#27]
It's not like he walked over and domed him.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Gr8Santini:
Compton and long beach

Man you know you in trouble
View Quote

Ain’t nothing but a G thing…baaaybeee
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#29]

He was shot for pulling it out of his pocket, right after the two cops with guns pointed at him, explicitly told him not to do that. They also told him exactly what would happen if he did it. If you were these cops, how much longer do you wait?

That Airman was given zero opportunity to comply. And he didn't pull a gun out on the cops, it was already in his hand.
View All Quotes

No different?

Zero difference.

Yeah, very different set of circumstances.  Here we actually do have the dead guy pulling a gun out on officers after they made contact, rather than opening a door to his own residence.

And here there probably wasn't much doubt in the dead guy that they were cops.  I mean, marked cruiser, lights, uniforms, the whole schebang.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Officer on the right never fired as far as I can tell. What was he waiting on?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Anchor shots are only vs someone who is unarmed surrendered and compliant.

If they are still a threat or attempting to fight you get to keep using deadly force until the threat is gone.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AXE0FWAR:
In any justified shooting there is no such thing as an unjustified anchor shot.
View Quote
This
You're either trying to stop the threat or you shouldn't have skinned your smoke wagon
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Perp: "Do I really want to commit suicide by cop? Lemme think about it a minute."
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Grumple:
There was no anchor shot. He still had the gun in his hamd and was moving.

Zero fucks given.

View Quote

This, oh well
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By AXE0FWAR:

In any justified shooting there is no such thing as an unjustified anchor shot.
View Quote

Every mass shooter, school shooter, child abuser, wife beater deserves an anchor shot.  Especially.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SS65:
Based on just the video alone that's my first impression- conflicting orders from the cops. Under the stress of having so many guns pointed at him it's easy to see how he could have understood "drop the gun" to mean "drop the gun on the ground." He never did raise the gun or even get the time to drop it. He very well may have been trying to comply with the cop's orders as he understood them. Justifiable shoot? Sure. But cop, also under stress and conditioned to "see gun, shoot" may have been just a hair too quick on the trigger. Could easily see any otherwise law abiding citizen making the same mistake as the guy that got shot.
View Quote

Lol, no.

Stop, get on the ground with your hands far the fuck away from where you have the pistol, get cuffed, live.

Backing away for 30+ yards with your hand on the gun isn't compliance. It's prefight indicators.

He fucked himself. It is what it is.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
I don't have an issue with it.
View Quote

I don"t have an issue with an anchor shot.  It's made up lawyer bullshit to weaken a self-defense argument;  if a shooting is justified, it's justified.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:
Another thing........officer on the right (#1 on video) is way too quick to get on the radio.   Dudes need to fight the urge to immediately get on the radio.
View Quote

Why is that bad? Isn't communication good?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By StevenH:

Supine
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StevenH:
Looks justified to me…

Supine

Sublime.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#40]
I am surprised our country isn't running out of doctors and engineers at the rate they are getting shot by the po-po these days.

Seems like an all out war against educated professions.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

So I see you have had guns pointed at you, your life under constant threat for trying to keep civility in check and don't have a family that depends on you for your informed opinion.

What I saw was far too lenient given the daily threat inner city police deal with everyday. Most often with the same repeat suspects.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By QwikKotaTx:
Officer on the right never fired as far as I can tell. What was he waiting on?
View Quote

maybe he didnt think he had a good backdrop. He doesnt appear that he needed to shoot anyways
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#43]

Hood rat. Are you calling him that because he’s black? I’m not saying he was going to cure cancer someday, but do you know more about him and the situation than was given in the video? Or are you just jumping on the bandwagon?

You have to wait for the threat to escalate before you can act. Given the context of the video, this police shooting is no different than the airman in Florida getting murdered by cops for showing up to his own door with a pistol in his hands.
View Quote

U-R-DUM or a prolific shit stirrer.

But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just call you a troll.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

Why is that bad? Isn't communication good?
View Quote

Appropriate communication at appropriate times is good.   He is getting on the radio before making sure the suspect is no longer a threat.  Its much like dudes that rush forward and try to start rendering aid after shooting someone without cuffing the guy, checking him for other weapons etc.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Curdmugeon45:

Lol, no.

Stop, get on the ground with your hands far the fuck away from where you have the pistol, get cuffed, live.

Backing away for 30+ yards with your hand on the gun isn't compliance. It's prefight indicators.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Curdmugeon45:
Originally Posted By SS65:

Lol, no.

Lol all you want. I agree he could have and should have behaved just as you said. Not even saying it was a bad shoot. He may have been thinking about running. All I'm saying is that he may have finally decided to comply and was complying as he understood the many different orders he was being given.  As mentioned in another reply the 2nd cop did not shoot. Perhaps that one was using better judgement and waited to see IF the guys gun hand started to rise. Whichever is the case, yes, the guy that got shot chose poorly.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#46]

He didn’t even make a move to start raising his pistol. Yes, he needs to do something to justify lethal,action. A pistol in his hands isn’t justification yet.
View Quote

13er post
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:
I do not like the way people here throw around the phrase, "anchor shot". A person who is still a threat can't be anchor shot. Being down on the ground does not mean out of the fight.
View Quote

Yep. When a threat deserves to die, they need to die.

We’re a nation of pussies.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#50]

He didn’t even make a move to start raising his pistol. Yes, he needs to do something to justify lethal,action. A pistol in his hands isn’t justification yet.
View Quote

He pulled a pistol out of his pocket.

An officer confronted with a potentially violent suspect who then witnesses the suspect literally draw a firearm has just seen someone make a gun easier to shoot them with. Drawing a gun out of a pocket or holster is easily and reasonably arguable as preparatory to using the gun.

That would make using lethal force justifiable.
Page / 6
Justified Anchor Shot? (Page 3 of 6)
Top Top