Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2019 1:43:15 AM EDT

( yes the 80's decor is on point )

I get her Jan 3, and will have a 7hr drive with her back to Memphis. The breeders seem to do a really good job with implanted chips, certifications, shots/meds, and initial puppy training. My dad was a duck dog trainer back in the 80's and he has been giving me pointers.  He wants me to read the book 'Water Dog' from 1964.  I'm honestly not too concerned with the retrieving stuff, what scares me the most is I don't want her to be a chewer or to get on furniture, after the potty training is complete.

I could use pointers on those 2 things and any other pointers you might throw out there for me.  Oh and dad has taken it upon himself to go out and drop $$$ on a Gunner Kennel and accessories for Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 1:56:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Put up your good stuff. My dogs liked to chew as pups. They will get over it, but it takes time.

Maybe two dogs! Mine entertained each other the last time I got a couple. Much easier than having one.

I do take them out every day to play and run for at least 30 minutes.  Not walking, running.  They will get restless otherwise and destroy the yard.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 2:01:18 AM EDT
[#2]
They are my best companions though.  Good luck, just be patient at first. It’s very trying
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 2:50:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Cute pup, but to think any dog left to his own isn't a chewer for the first year maybe two is very wishful thinking.

Rather than think about the dog as chewing up sofa's and tables, just think of them as a motivation to buy new furniture.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 3:32:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Haha yeah I'm anticipating something really nice getting destroyed, but hope to prevent it. I bought a puppy Kong toy and plan on doing a little natural peanut butter from time to time.  I need to find a ball with the soft spikes on it too.

My dad says the retrieving dummy should only come out when it's retrieving time, not a chew toy...
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haha yeah I'm anticipating something really nice getting destroyed, but hope to prevent it. I bought a puppy Kong toy and plan on doing a little natural peanut butter from time to time.  I need to find a ball with the soft spikes on it too.

My dad says the retrieving dummy should only come out when it's retrieving time, not a chew toy...
View Quote
I think you and your wife need to prepare for shit, piss and broken stuff. Dogs break stuff in seconds if left unattended.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#6]
another tranny thread?

Link Posted: 12/19/2019 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think you and your wife need to prepare for shit, piss and broken stuff. Dogs break stuff in seconds if left unattended.
View Quote
She won't be left unattended, if she will be unattended she will be in the kennel or in the yard.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
what scares me the most is I don't want her to be a chewer or to get on furniture, after the potty training is complete.

I could use pointers on those 2 things and any other pointers you might throw out there for me.  
View Quote
Wish you luck.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
She won't be left unattended, if she will be unattended she will be in the kennel or in the yard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unattended means you go take a shit and your tv remote is laying in pieces on the floor or a book is shredded on the couch.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Inappropriate for this forum - JR
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 5:58:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Chewing level is totally a thing where one dog will be a superchewer, and another one will barely do it for a short time while they are theething.
Superchewer for his entire 14.5 years. Amazing jaw power and we had rawhides all over the house to keep him occupied. When he was young, nothing was too (fill in the blank) for him to chew up. Later on, he was perfectly safe to leave around stuff a pup would chew up, but he really liked to chew those flat hunks of rawhide. He could cut the thickest of them into playing card sized ones and then they were swallowed. Those rolled up rawhide toys weren't his favorite, but if he got rolling on them, he would destroy one in about 15-20 minutes. A couple of vets said he had the hardest bite power they had seen in a dog, let alone one who was 75 pounds. I really miss him, he's been gone over 20 years now..

These two came after him, and they just never chewed, period. They weren't interested and had average 55 pound dog jaw power at most. They were much smarter though..
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#13]
So far things are going well with her.  The potty training has been really rough but she is starting to slowly associate the backyard grass with potty time...  She is 'kinda' of a bite'er but doesn't really clamp down.

Already have her trained on not trying to climb up on furniture and 'sit' is kinda working.

Getting better at her crate too.

Link Posted: 1/7/2020 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Good looking pup!
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#15]
How sad.  It hurts to put down a friend with whom you've become very attached.  I adopted a pair and bonded with the male real fast.  He figured me out real fast too.  Anyway, cancer got him (esophageal fistula where the azzwhole previous owner shot him with a pellet gun) and I had to put him down after only four months. Still have his sister and I still can't figure her out.  She was abused too and is much better after four years.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top