Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2018 2:47:21 PM EDT
With the talk of upcoming mag fed pump shotguns from Remington and Mossberg.

I was curious to see if there is a reliable mag fed semi-auto shotgun?  I've read that Saigas can have issues and wanted to see what else is still out there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#1]
VEPR 12, Saiga 12

Both really reliable (I've had both)
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
VEPR 12, Saiga 12

View Quote
I've never had an issue with my saigas
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#4]
The USAS12!

Takes down jets!

Can turn day into night!

Link Posted: 1/22/2018 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
With the talk of upcoming mag fed pump shotguns from Remington and Mossberg.

I was curious to see if there is a reliable mag fed semi-auto shotgun?  I've read that Saigas can have issues and wanted to see what else is still out there.
View Quote
I've never had any problems with my Saiga.  Worst case you buy an adjustable gas plug for it.  Eats the weakest bulk crap you can throw at it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#6]
VEPR 12. No contest.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
VEPR 12. No contest.
View Quote
We did an extensive T&E on the 12" models for work. Very impressed. Ended up not going with them only because we are getting away from shotguns for everything but breaching. The French National Police tactical unit RAID use them heavily and love them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Owned a sagia 12 and a VEPR 12

Both ran anything you fed them.  Seems like a lot of people have to get work done on the saiga to make it run low brass stuff well.  I sold the saiga to by the VEPR-12.

VEPR has last round bolt hold open and straight mag insertion as opposed to rock and lock.  I find I'm faster on reloads with the VEPR because of these reasons.

Both ran great for me, and I'm currently running the VEPR in 3 gun.  Being mag fed gives me an advantage on reloads.

My opinion is that the best mag fed semi auto shotgun on the market is the VEPR-12
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#10]
VEPR 12.

The auto gas plug makes it very reliable right out of the box.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Saiga 12 is the most reliable you can get.  It may take a bit of a break in and some fine tuning, but after that it'll chew anything you feed it.

I have both drum and box mags, and they all run great.  Again, you may have to tweak the fit on the mags, but once they're dialed in, it's an awesome setup.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Owned a sagia 12 and a VEPR 12

Both ran anything you fed them.  Seems like a lot of people have to get work done on the saiga to make it run low brass stuff well.  I sold the saiga to by the VEPR-12.

VEPR has last round bolt hold open and straight mag insertion as opposed to rock and lock.  I find I'm faster on reloads with the VEPR because of these reasons.

Both ran great for me, and I'm currently running the VEPR in 3 gun.  Being mag fed gives me an advantage on reloads.

My opinion is that the best mag fed semi auto shotgun on the market is the VEPR-12
View Quote
The folks that had problems with Saigas cycling usually did the FCG mod with a Tapco G2. Use a K-Var FCG for the Saiga 12 and you don’t have the same issues. $35 for a drop in group without having to mod  it like the $28 Tapco and then you still have to polish the bolt carrier just to get the hammer to stop dragging.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#13]
My Benelli M1 Super 90 is reliable.  I think OP meant detachable mag ;)
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm sure the actions themselves can be well designed for function but you will always on some level have to deal with having big old rims on a big old cylindrical cartridge that also happens to be made out of soft deformable plastic.

Shotgun shell cartridges themselves were NOT designed for reliable magazine feeding, as they clearly predate the common usage of box magazines. some designs are able to work around the limitations but the cartridge itself is always going to be a limiting factor.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I got to shoot a full auto one, not much recoil mainly because it weighed 15 pounds. Not a great platform by any means, machining was rough and so was the receiver forging, looked like a cheap cast iron pan.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Saiga-12s seem to be very unreliable at the 3-gun matches I've attended.  Feeding issues, mags don't stay locked, cycling problems.

Benelli M2 and FN SLP run circles around them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the vepr12 clone academy and some other places sell that swallows cheap Walmart birdshot no problem. Did have to run it on quality stuff for 50-100 shells to get it to 100%.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#18]
our full auto kalashnikov doesn't cycle light loads, but anything heavier than a target load works well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyJz9Qe8hs
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I had to break in my saiga12 with a lot of ammo to get it to start shooting bulk bird shot. Problem I have is the magazines. Promag... Dont buy em.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had to break in my saiga12 with a lot of ammo to get it to start shooting bulk bird shot. Problem I have is the magazines. Promag... Dont buy em.
View Quote
True for the stick mags, their drums are good to go. I have 12, 15 and 20rd Pro-mag drums and they all work well. The 12 Rd is very small and seems to be about the perfect size. The 15s aren't bad but are at the upper end of size/obstructive. The 20 Rd drums work and are fun, but just way to big to be truly practical.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd like to say Saiga 12, but can't speak from personal experience.  I bought this from a buddy four years ago, still haven't fired it....

Link Posted: 1/22/2018 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Well, that's actually a brace of AA-12's but close enough for gov't work.

I've got one, it was dead-nuts reliable after a few break in rounds.

It is a heavy sumbitch though, 13lbs empty, 15 with a loaded 20-round drum.  And it's bulky, you don't want to be going through doors or riding in a vehicle with one.  And, the basic load is pretty much maxed out at 100 rounds (1 drum in wpn, 2 drums and 4 stick mags on a vest).
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Nobody's got a report on the Tavor 12 yet?
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I've never had an issue with my Saiga 12. It's an older(2001 dated) model with four holes in the gas port.

A lot of 3 gun guys claim to see Saigas choke in competition, though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm leaning towards a Vepr 12
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well, that's actually a brace of AA-12's but close enough for gov't work.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d3/23/40/d323408f3c4ecd5e6e13aa60929d62c4.jpg
I've got one, it was dead-nuts reliable after a few break in rounds.

It is a heavy sumbitch though, 13lbs empty, 15 with a loaded 20-round drum.  And it's bulky, you don't want to be going through doors or riding in a vehicle with one.  And, the basic load is pretty much maxed out at 100 rounds (1 drum in wpn, 2 drums and 4 stick mags on a vest).
View Quote
We made last run of barrels for the AA12, absolute blast to shoot, heavy as fuck though
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm leaning towards a Vepr 12
View Quote
I have both a Saiga 12 and a Vepr 12. Only down side to the Vepr 12 is you are limited to stick mags  unless you want to try one of those 25rd drums someone came out with for it. I don't have one for the Vepr12 but I have several 20rd drums for the Saiga 12. As I posted above, the 20rd drums are just too large to be very practical, the 12 and 15rd drums are better, but can't be used in the Vepr 12.

On the plus side, the Vepr 12s seem to enjoy much better quality control and run without much/any tinkering.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#28]
My Vepr-12 has been 100% reliable, but I don't shoot the cheapest birdshot at Walmart out of it. I like the CSSPECS mags the best for price/performance. You could beat someone to death with them when you run dry. I wouldn't recommend anything other than factory or these.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Saiga
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
VEPR 12, Saiga 12

View Quote
yep - used a tromix built saga for three gun - never had any issues
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I can’t answer your question but a guy at the range let me shoot VEPR with slugs and it made me go IRL
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Those MD Arms Saiga 12 drums just went out of production.

Email from MD Arms a couple weeks ago (coupon code is dead but then the price was reduced by the same amount, to $80):

We wanted to let everybody be know that we will not be producing the MD-20 drum magazine anymore. We thank everyone who has bought and enjoyed one! What's out there is it so think hard before you sell one...

We have also sold our entire remaining inventory. The buyer has offered a $20 off each coupon to all of MD Arms's past customers. This discount will only be available for a limited time or limited quantity, which ever is reached first. If you want another one for yourself or know someone that wants one now is the time. When the remaining stock drys up that will be it for new in the package MD-20 magazines. The MD-20 will know doubt start demanding a premium on its original retail price before long.

You can view and purchase the remaining drums for sale at https://www.deguns.net/saiga-drum-858578003018-p/md-20.htm?CartID=1.

Don't forget to enter your $20 off each discount code. Just enter md20 in the coupon code field to receive it.

Thanks again everyone and we hope you had a very Merry Christmas!!!
View Quote
Same guy tried to develop a double stack mag for the Saiga; that failed (or was canceled when Saigas were banned from import), but he says Mossberg used his patent on the 590M they just unveiled.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My Vepr-12 has been 100% reliable, but I don't shoot the cheapest birdshot at Walmart out of it. I like the CSSPECS mags the best for price/performance. You could beat someone to death with them when you run dry. I wouldn't recommend anything other than factory or these.
View Quote
The CSSPECS steel mags are really nice. I have a bunch of 8 rounders, they are worth the price
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top