Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2022 1:38:11 AM EDT
Bought the 1st 4 kits
Saving for the avionics and Powerplant kits
Going E-LSA hoping to get it flying within 2-3 years??
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Looking forward to pics of the process.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck and congrats!  Flying anything in the mean time?
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations.  Try to set up a work schedule.  It's easy to stop building when other things come up.  Find an experienced builder you can pair up with when you get to a point that has you stuck.  See if you can get some friends to come over to help you build.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Very important to have a successful smooth build if it’s your first:
Join the EAA
Join a local chapter
Work with a tech councilor
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone
I'll definitely post back with some pictures after I get organized.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 7:21:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I had considered the RV 12, but I wasn't wild about the fuel tank behind the passengers.
I've gone with the Sling 2 (the TSi would have been nice,but I don't need 4 seats).
Right now my empennage and wings are sitting on a freighter off the coast of Long Beach.
God only knows how long it will take to get them off of it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 5:27:03 AM EDT
[#8]
There are some other great E-LSA airplanes definitely, But for me personally, I don't think I could have made a better choice.
It checks all the boxes I'm after.
E-LSA
Folding or removable wings
Modern avionics
Efficient
Good factory support
Plus I'm fairly close to the Van's factory I'm signing up for a tour and demo flight hopefully late April.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#9]
The removable wings were what attracted me to it.
The ease in which they could be removed meant I could keep it at home and trailer it to the airport.
But after purchasing a lot in an airport community, I'll have my own hangar so the removable wings no longer mattered.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:47:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Great week of progress I purchased about 75% of the tools I need to finish my airframe
Absolutely stoked to see it all coming together
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#11]
The engine, accessories, paint, interior and prop and avionics will cost around $50,000  to $60,000 minimum, the air frame is the cheapest part.. Unless you try to save money and buy a used engine and prop which I would not do. You can buy a finished one cheaper than you can build one.

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?make=vans&model=RV-12&s-type=aircraft

https://www.barnstormers.com/cat_search.php?headline=&body=&part_num=&mfg=&model=&user__profile__company=&user__last_name=&user__first_name=&user__profile__country=&specialcase__state=&user__profile__city=&user__profile__uzip=&specialcase__phone=&user__email=&my_cats__name=&price__gte=&price__lte=&keyword=Vans+RV-12&search_type=keyword
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 2:45:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Powerplant kit is about 34,000$ that's engine, prop, Mount ect full kit. 1st 4 kits cost about the same as the power plant kit in total and if you ordered them today and you would also  have a multi year wait.
I already have the interior so that's a done deal
Avionics are about 18,000 this stuff is not cheap but way less than a factory built S-LSA or built to factory spec E-LSA Rv12 on the market
Most of the cheaper 70-80,000$ ish RV 12s are E-AB rated and most with converted viking auto engine's or used 80hp 912s the other ones are old and ready for an overhaul
I have no regrets I'll know my airplane, it will be an absolutely new unit and it will be an E-LSA rated airplane so after my 16 hour cert I can do everything on my airplane maintenance wise myself.
Ymmv
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 4:31:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Powerplant kit is about 34,000$ that's engine, prop, Mount ect full kit. 1st 4 kits cost about the same as the power plant kit in total and if you ordered them today and you would also  have a multi year wait.
I already have the interior so that's a done deal
Avionics are about 18,000 this stuff is not cheap but way less than a factory built S-LSA or built to factory spec E-LSA Rv12 on the market
Most of the cheaper 70-80,000$ ish RV 12s are E-AB rated and most with converted viking auto engine's or used 80hp 912s the other ones are old and ready for an overhaul
I have no regrets I'll know my airplane, it will be an absolutely new unit and it will be an E-LSA rated airplane so after my 16 hour cert I can do everything on my airplane maintenance wise myself.
Ymmv
View Quote

Yikes...multi year wait ???

I sent the 50% deposit to Memphis Propeller for my three blade MT prop, spinner and governor last week. I thought a December arrival date was bad enough. The upside is I should have the aircraft pretty complete, including paint, by the time it arrives.

I'm building a Pitts Model 12 if you hadn't seen me say it in other posts....

ETA...even with parts delays I'll be at 18 months (hopefully !!)
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 1:15:08 AM EDT
[#14]
That is awesome I'm gonna check out your Pitts build post .
Flying what you build is a pretty amazing feat in life , I'm definitely looking forward to it
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:47:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I truly understand the delays.
I ordered my Sling empennage and wing kits in July, and they're finally 4 days away.
I'm going to check on the fuselage lead time to see if it will arrive right around when I'm done the first two kits.
I don't want to be sitting around wasting time when I could be building.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Sling makes a good looking and performing airplane it will definitely be worth the wait !
Post some pictures of you're work!
What model are you building?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 6:24:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I decided on the Sling 2.
The TSi is great(I flew one at Oshkosh), but I don't need 4 seats.
If you're a member of EAA, they have a free online construction log that you can use.
I completed my work table using Jon Croke's I-Beam idea, 16' x 4'.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top