Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2019 9:28:17 PM EDT
I was at military clothing sales at Scott AFB (I am Army), and they had Vietnam era jungle boots on the wall for sale, and it said they were DLATs.

They were these:
McRae Men's Olive Drab 7189 Vietnam Era Army Jungle Boots
https://www.shopmyexchange.com/mcrae-men-s-olive-drab-7189-vietnam-era-army-jungle-boots/1083619

I'm still scratching my head about them.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 11:30:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Expensive for Nam boots. I used to buy cheapies back in the 80s and wear the snot out of them, would last about a year before the sole would pop off the heel. Very comfortable.

Oddly enough, I saw Nam style boots for sale at a surplus store - one of the salesmen, (after he established my bona fides), said flatly - don't buy them, made in China. $29.99.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By armoredman:
Expensive for Nam boots.
View Quote
not really.... that's the "normal" price now for real nam era boots, especially the 9/10/11 sizes.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 2:40:21 AM EDT
[#3]
VietNam Era jungle boots with speedlaces?

Nope...

Modernized, and $99.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 6:45:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#5]
That is why we stood in a bucket of water to get them really soaking wet then wear them for a day. being soaked like that allowed the sole to form with your feet and were comfortable after that. Wish I could find a couple of pair of real unused OD/Black to wear, loved them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The ad tells you they are repros: Add a new "old" pair of Army style jungle boots to your collection, reminiscent of the Vietnam era. Style: 7189.  No speed laces on the originals and later versions had a steel plate in the sole. I always bought the version made by Altima - they still sell them - and then replaced the sole with a waffle type. Still have a pair that I wear out shooting sporting clays. Most comfortable boots I wore during my Army career.

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Used to wear those with woodland BDUs.  They are pretty hard for road marching but a good field boot in warmer environments.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I know that this is an old post, but I don’t remember those speed laces on the original Vietnam era boots. I think they put them on in the mid-late 80’s. I liked the weird shredded wheat looking inner sole they came with. The soles were definitely not meant for concrete.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope, still have mine and they are "Spike Protected", lace up only.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Might go see if cash sales has those at Eglin.
The spike plate in my original pair snapped, and I don't remember buying new ones before  I got out.
Wouldn't mind having a pair of the all black ones either..
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By l2a3:
That is why we stood in a bucket of water to get them really soaking wet then wear them for a day. being soaked like that allowed the sole to form with your feet and were comfortable after that. Wish I could find a couple of pair of real unused OD/Black to wear, loved them.
View Quote
Water won't soften the steel spike plate in the sole.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:34:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I LOVED jungle boots when I was in. Specifically the green ones. When we inevitably got pissed on in the field, my feet always dried out really quickly. I tended to hoard them because they were hard to find in my size. Then the uniforms changed and couldn’t wear them anymore.

Now I’ve been out a long time, but every time I see a pair in my size, I grab them. I guess old habits.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
I always found (the issue) jungle boots to be fairly UNcomfortable:  stiff soles (by design) and I could feel the stitching/webbing on the sides.
View Quote

This^. They never fit right. My feet ached all the time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 4:41:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankW134] [#14]
Originally Posted By Mongo_Bongo:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mongo_Bongo:
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
I always found (the issue) jungle boots to be fairly UNcomfortable:  stiff soles (by design) and I could feel the stitching/webbing on the sides.

Altamas (with the padded cuff) were good for me, the ones they gave out at the schofield CIF were pretty rough.  I'm pretty sure they gave me a rebuilt boot once, had a big visible scar across the top of the foot that looked like some type of filler, took kiwi like the rest though.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:09:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't know why the exchange stocks them, but when were in BDUs we could wear that style of boot.

I bought a discounted pair at a gun store around 2008 and wore them just because they were a little different but still in regs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Thats all I wore back in the late 80's through the '90s.  Bought a few pair when they phased them out and kept wearing until the very bitter end and we went to MARPAT and brown boots.

Still have a pair around here somewhere....
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#17]
real ones with the "RO" stamped sole were awesome.  still have mine though they are no longer wearable
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By mace2364:
I LOVED jungle boots when I was in. Specifically the green ones. When we inevitably got pissed on in the field, my feet always dried out really quickly. I tended to hoard them because they were hard to find in my size. Then the uniforms changed and couldn’t wear them anymore.

Now I’ve been out a long time, but every time I see a pair in my size, I grab them. I guess old habits.
View Quote

When the uniform went to all black boots, we spray-painted the green webbing and wore them until they wore out.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I wore both the green and black versions when I was in. I preferred the looks of the green ones. They weren't bad after you smoked them and wore them wet all day to form fit your foot. I did have a couple of pairs that the spike plate broke. And you didn't want to wear them in the hot desert with those steel plates in the soles. I was never issued DCU's during Desert shield/Storm so didn't get the desert boots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top