Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2021 1:06:11 PM EDT
I was awarded 3 judgements in a lawsuit. One by court, 2 by default.  Court judgement is against actual involved party - a person.  Defaults are against - 1) his business (llc) where he is CEO/Managing entity, and 2) his spouse.

He was proven liable in a vehicular accident, in his personally owned vehicle, emblazoned with his company information, during business hours, on a public road, in front of his place of business.  His spouse owned the insurance policy for his vehicle, that he was a written excluded driver from the policy (prior to the issuance of his "occupational" driver's license).

I took him to court at his request after he denied any acceptance of responsibility or offers to reconcile outside of court.

These two winners are getting divorced.  Both own real properties in my county, and may have other assets requiring division in divorce.

Question 1:  Can I intervene in the divorce with request for settlement on my judgement prior to full asset division?

Question 2: Is the preferred process for requesting this to contact each party's representation?

Question 3: Would I be out of line if I used a veiled threat of Insurance Fraud lawsuit via DA as reason for allowing intervention in divorce for settlement?

This is in Texas...

@Aimless   , or??

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#1]
If you think the properties are likely to be sold due to the divorce then you want a lien on them ASAP.
https://www.wikihow.com/Collect-on-a-Judgement-in-Texas
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you think the properties are likely to be sold due to the divorce then you want a lien on them ASAP.
https://www.wikihow.com/Collect-on-a-Judgement-in-Texas
View Quote

I filed abstracts in my county day before yesterday.  Mine will go into the line of existing liens/judgements.  I want to jump the line...
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The mortgage holders will get paid first.  Any idea if or how much equity may be in the properties?  Mortgages are public info but you have to dig for them, and not all counties have that online.

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#4]
No, and not sure the only home property is being sold.  They both have business properties in my city/county.

I requested for her lawyer to call me in regards to intervening.  I will have to contact his as well.

He will never pay unless it is taken from him.  I don't care who it comes from, I just want my loss covered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top