Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/15/2018 4:14:18 PM EDT
@LoneWolf545 has John been writing anything lately?  I've been craving some new Ringo books and would like to know if there is anything in the pipe.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#1]
_Valley of Shadows_ with Mike Massa came out last month, it's in the Black Tide Rising universe and features the brother who did banking security.  Mike Massa, by coincidence, was a SEAL officer and worked in high-level banking security for a few years...  There's also another anthology in that universe on the way.  He's been writing, but it's too early to tell if something productive will come of it.  Generally, when he's in a writing mood, I DON'T get much information because I leave him alone to write so I don't interrupt his train of thought :-)
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Good to know he's working, based on some of his facebook posts it sounds like he can get some pretty bad dry spells between bouts of furious writing.  I read Valley of the Shadows, and by no means am I trying to bash it here, but it didn't feel like a Ringo book.  Which makes sense because he wasn't the primary author.  Also, thanks for the heads up on the Antho, I didn't know about that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish he would get back to sci-fl as in space aliens
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I would love to see the next book in the the Hedron war series but I don't think that will ever happen.  Another Troy book would be great too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#5]
The new "Graveyard Sky" anthology "Voices of the Fall" is available at Baen.

https://www.baen.com/

There's one story by I think Tom Kratman that stars a black "king of America" that's just weird.
Most others are good entries in the series.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:01:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would love to see the next book in the the Hedron war series but I don't think that will ever happen.  Another Troy book would be great too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's started and then got stuck on the next books in both series.  I haven't felt bold enough to ask David where he is on the next Prince Roger book...
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:14:52 AM EDT
[#7]
More BOLO please!
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:58:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
More BOLO please!
View Quote
Not happening.   The Laumer estate has asked that no more be written (I was under the impression that Baen had the rights to the universe due to Jim Baen paying for Keith Laumer's considerable medical bills, but evidently the estate disagreed).
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the updates! It's nice getting the inside scoop from someone who knows him.  Even if I could I would hate to pester him, I'm sure all the "what have you been working on" questions get old quick, even without the "where's our books, you owe us!"
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I fully understand how tough writing can be, but I'm getting more then a little ticked off at Sci-Fi authors starting a great series.... and never finishing it.
Several series I've read weren't finished because they took so long the author DIED.
My buddy and I have agreed that there should be a law that no series can be started until the LAST book is written.

As far as Ringo goes, I'm a dedicated reader but I just wish he'd finish the "Hot Gates" series, I'm tired of waiting.

With Ringo, Weber and some others I suspect they just get tired of a series and in boredom they move to something else, or else they commit to some other project and just drop it.

The "Prince Roger" series was absolutely great.... until the last book.  
Throughout the first three books we got a constant stream of promises about what Roger was going to do to the people who sold his troops defective equipment that got them killed.
Last book...... a big space battle starring someone we never heard of before and a dry ending.
It just read like a book written when you're bored or have committed to doing something else and just want to end it however fast you can.

All this is unfair to the loyal customers who pay the bills.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not happening.   The Laumer estate has asked that no more be written (I was under the impression that Baen had the rights to the universe due to Jim Baen paying for Keith Laumer's considerable medical bills, but evidently the estate disagreed).
View Quote
That is a real shame. I have just about every Bolo book out there.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#12]
OK, in addition to the second Black Tide Rising anthology, which is scheduled for a March release, John's been editing a book coauthored with two relatively new authors, Chris Smith and Kacey Ezell.  Kacey wrote the story of the cheerleaders/parents that was featured on the cover of _Black Tide Rising_, and also has a story in _Voices of the Fall_, the second anthology.  They've both also been writing stories in the Four Horseman Universe from another publisher (although ebook distribution is through Baen).  IIRC, this collaboration is an entirely new universe, involving Steampunk (which is what John was ORIGINALLY contracted to write with Larry Correia, then he went off and wrote three Monster Hunter books instead).  This latest book is due to the publisher by the 1st, so it MAY be scheduled near the end of 2019, but nothing has been publicly stated on that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I know this isn't GD but..... I saw on an adult camera website someone chatting with the name John Ringo.   Told him to quit screwing around and finish the Hot Gate series.  Lol.  Doubt it was him, but if it was Finish damn it!
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know this isn't GD but..... I saw on an adult camera website someone chatting with the name John Ringo.   Told him to quit screwing around and finish the Hot Gate series.  Lol.  Doubt it was him, but if it was Finish damn it!
View Quote
If whoever it was was talking to an adult female in an Eastern European country, it may actually have been him, it's called research :-)
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If whoever it was was talking to an adult female in an Eastern European country, it may actually have been him, it's called research :-)
View Quote
Sorry, that one didn't work for me, it ain't workin' for Ringo either.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:22:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you a professional writer who has books set in Eastern Europe?   He is.  So not only can it work for him, any expenses are tax deductible :-)  Especially if they're Georgian :-)
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, I havent read any of "those" books of his, but that is what I thought as well.  Although there was no maple syrup so I knew it couldnt be hot gate!
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Are you a professional writer who has books set in Eastern Europe?   He is.  So not only can it work for him, any expenses are tax deductible :-)  Especially if they're Georgian :-)
View Quote
My meaning was that I told my wife I was at the local gun store just doing research for the book I wrote.

She didn't buy it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's what I'm waiting for.  I've re-read all the hedron series twice now.  I guess I'm going to have to dig my Live Free or Die books back out and rear them for the second time.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I love the troy series, just wish he would finish it. Also does he have a website at all?
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#21]
You know, John Ringo has to have one of the weirdest writing processes I've ever heard of.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You know, John Ringo has to have one of the weirdest writing processes I've ever heard of.
View Quote
I don't know of another writer that is both plagued by long spells of not being able to write anything that satisfies them and also being able to puke out 17 books in a week once the spell breaks.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't know of another writer that is both plagued by long spells of not being able to write anything that satisfies them and also being able to puke out 17 books in a week once the spell breaks.
View Quote
He's described how he shuts himself in his basement (I think, some isolated room anyway) and doesn't come out for baths or food or basically anything but bathroom breaks for days.  It must drive his wife and his publisher nuts.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

He's described how he shuts himself in his basement (I think, some isolated room anyway) and doesn't come out for baths or food or basically anything but bathroom breaks for days.  It must drive his wife and his publisher nuts.
View Quote
There's a small concrete block room in his basement, only about 6x10 that is his office,  with a curtain as the door,   a portable a/c unit and air filter.  Keeps it reasonably cool in the summer, since he doesn't write well when he's hot.  In cooler weather,  he'll sit on his screen porch wrapped in a poncho liner.

Eta: he does come out to sleep when he's absolutely exhausted,  when he's going strong writing.   But he'll go 20-30 hours between naps.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#25]
The only book of his that I've read was the first book of the Black Tide Rising series.  He has so many books that it's a bit overwhelming to know where to start.  Should I get the next book in Black Tide Rising or start on a different series first?  What series would you recommend?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The only book of his that I've read was the first book of the Black Tide Rising series.  He has so many books that it's a bit overwhelming to know where to start.  Should I get the next book in Black Tide Rising or start on a different series first?  What series would you recommend?
View Quote
My favorite Ringo series is the Looking Glass books he did with Travis Taylor.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I like the Kildar.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Black Tide Rising universe is his most recent and the one that is currently still active, mostly with anthologies and coauthored books, he considers it some of his best writing, and actually went into a depressive funk when he declared it "finished", his wife has now said that he is NOT allowed to finish a series...

But he DOES have a lot of books, so it all depends on what you're interested in.

Military science fiction with multiple alien species and large scale battles, saving Earth?  The Legacy of the Aldenata, starting with A Hymn Before Battle, which should be available in a free version on Amazon or at Baen Books.
Science fiction with heavy physics, alien species, smaller unit fights?  The Looking Glass books with Travis Taylor, starting with Through the Looking Glass.
Spoiled prince of a galactic empire coming of age, with a lot of politics and some funky wildlife?  The Empire of Man with David Weber, starting with March Upcountry.
All technology crashes and civilization has to restart, with a war involved, with the SCA playing a major part?  Start with There Will Be Dragons (note: this series did not sell well and he may not return to it)
Earth is approached by aliens and extorted for resources and a guy has to figure out some way to defeat them?  The Maple Syrup Wars starting with Live Free, or Die.
Monsters are real, people get paid to kill them, set in the '80's?  Monster Hunter Memoirs, set in Larry Correia's Monster Hunter International universe.

ETA:  Former SEAL interrupts multiple Islamic terror plots, has sex with lots of women (including BDSM scenes), sets up as a feudal lord in remote Georgia with a harem?  The Kildar series, starting with Ghost.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The Black Tide Rising universe is his most recent and the one that is currently still active, mostly with anthologies and coauthored books, he considers it some of his best writing, and actually went into a depressive funk when he declared it "finished", his wife has now said that he is NOT allowed to finish a series...

But he DOES have a lot of books, so it all depends on what you're interested in.

Military science fiction with multiple alien species and large scale battles, saving Earth?  The Legacy of the Aldenata, starting with A Hymn Before Battle, which should be available in a free version on Amazon or at Baen Books.
Science fiction with heavy physics, alien species, smaller unit fights?  The Looking Glass books with Travis Taylor, starting with Through the Looking Glass.
Spoiled prince of a galactic empire coming of age, with a lot of politics and some funky wildlife?  The Empire of Man with David Weber, starting with March Upcountry.
All technology crashes and civilization has to restart, with a war involved, with the SCA playing a major part?  Start with There Will Be Dragons (note: this series did not sell well and he may not return to it)
Earth is approached by aliens and extorted for resources and a guy has to figure out some way to defeat them?  The Maple Syrup Wars starting with Live Free, or Die.
Monsters are real, people get paid to kill them, set in the '80's?  Monster Hunter Memoirs, set in Larry Correia's Monster Hunter International universe.

ETA:  Former SEAL interrupts multiple Islamic terror plots, has sex with lots of women (including BDSM scenes), sets up as a feudal lord in remote Georgia with a harem?  The Kildar series, starting with Ghost.
View Quote
Which romance award did Ghost win? I remember it being a pretty funny subject when it happened. And is the Bar still active? I never really got into it too much after they changed formats.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Which romance award did Ghost win? I remember it being a pretty funny subject when it happened. And is the Bar still active? I never really got into it too much after they changed formats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was from the Preditors and Editors polling in 2005, yeah, that was majorly gamed :-)  The Bar has fallen off a lot, a lot of people have moved to Facebook or other social media, the various format changes didn't help.  Not many of the authors go there much anymore, although Toni is still active in her conference, I believe Miller and Lee are active in theirs, and Kratman in his, Williamson splits his online presence between the Bar and MeWe, with a small amount on Facebook.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It was from the Preditors and Editors polling in 2005, yeah, that was majorly gamed :-)  The Bar has fallen off a lot, a lot of people have moved to Facebook or other social media, the various format changes didn't help.  Not many of the authors go there much anymore, although Toni is still active in her conference, I believe Miller and Lee are active in theirs, and Kratman in his, Williamson splits his online presence between the Bar and MeWe, with a small amount on Facebook.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@LoneWolf545 are you secretly John Ringo
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, there are plenty of pictures of the two of us at the same time :-)  It's no secret who I am, my ex was John's coauthor for the Cally books and my wife is John's personal assistant, making sure his bills get paid and the cats have food.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#33]
True Ringo fans know not to bug John.  He's not a baker who makes what the gay clients want,  he writes what HE wants and you can take it or leave it.

That being said, all I can say is that I look forward to the next installment of the Hedren War series.  Mike has suddenly been made aware of his immense, virtually incalculable wealth, great than the value of many planets, and if he calls in his markers the damned Darhel go into receivership so he OWNS their furry asses.

I REALLY WANT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT.

From a weapons standpoint, the force field projecting bouncing betty type land mines that played a part in some Posleen extermination events (Not sure they really qualify as battles because battles aren't supposed to be that funny)  present the idea of a new theoretical weapon.   Constrain that force field to a single dimension and you have a perfect sword.  One with a blade of zero width, zero height, and adjustable length.  Slice up every enemy on the battlefield in moments, going through all armor as if it does not exist.   Fun stuff.  And quite handy against the Hedren...or any other material enemy.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
True Ringo fans know not to bug John.  He's not a baker who makes what the gay clients want,  he writes what HE wants and you can take it or leave it.

That being said, all I can say is that I look forward to the next installment of the Hedren War series.  Mike has suddenly been made aware of his immense, virtually incalculable wealth, great than the value of many planets, and if he calls in his markers the damned Darhel go into receivership so he OWNS their furry asses.

From a weapons standpoint, the force field projecting bouncing betty type land mines that played a part in some Posleen extermination events (Not sure they really qualify as battles because battles aren't supposed to be that funny)  present the idea of a new theoretical weapon.   Constrain that force field to a single dimension and you have a perfect sword.  One with a blade of zero width, zero height, and adjustable length.  Slice up every enemy on the battlefield in moments, going through all armor as if it does not exist.   Fun stuff.  And quite handy against the Hedren...or any other material enemy.
View Quote
I don't know when he'll get back to this series, but a consideration is that, based on what John has said, the Hedren are NOT the major threat the Himmit are hiding/fleeing from...
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ya ya ya the thing is I ain't getting any younger and for that matter neither is Ringo and I would love some more Troy or Prince Roger
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ya ya ya the thing is I ain't getting any younger and for that matter neither is Ringo and I would love some more Troy or Prince Roger
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been said before, but the next Prince Roger book was turned over to David Weber a couple of years back for him to review and make changes (such as all the political intrigue stuff he likes so much), but David and his wife Sharon both had some medical issues that have him behind schedule on work.  Doesn't help that their house is being remodeled right now.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow, thanks!  I might try out the Looking Glass books next.  Sounds like something I'd enjoy.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#38]
I’m pretty sure the stuff I like that Ringo writes is pretty much dead ended. Meh- I’ve moved on.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Still waiting for Faith to clear Arkansas.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#40]
We need some more Kildar dammit....
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:21:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Heh, I had no idea another anthology in the Black Tide Rising series was about to drop on Mar 5, Voices of the Fall
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#42]
He should really do a non cannon Kildar anthology. The in Africa and blackbtide crossover snippets were great
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
More is on the way. From what I understand, Ringo was pretty busy with another book and didn't pay close attention to Tiger by the tail and was pretty unhappy with the finished work of the co-author.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
He should really do a non cannon Kildar anthology. The in Africa and blackbtide crossover snippets were great
View Quote
Snippets have been posted of the Keldara dealing with the a black tide zombie attack. Claymore swords vs zombies. there was mention of the Keldara in the last black tide book.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

More is on the way. From what I understand, Ringo was pretty busy with another book and didn't pay close attention to Tiger by the tail and was pretty unhappy with the finished work of the co-author.
View Quote
I didn't mind it at all actually other then the slave camp part of the plot. That was stupid.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unfortunately, the NEXT coauthor wrote a decent tale, but the dialogue didn't accurately represent the characters, and it's unlikely John is going to take the time to rewrite all of it, so that one appears dead as well, from what his editor and the publisher have told me (yes, I've read it).

ETA:  John has played with several different ideas for continuing the tales of the Keldara, including the crossover with the Black Tide universe, but until he actually puts at least half a manuscript on paper, I'm not going to get excited about it, I've seen too many ideas die over the years.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's been said before, but the next Prince Roger book was turned over to David Weber a couple of years back for him to review and make changes (such as all the political intrigue stuff he likes so much), but David and his wife Sharon both had some medical issues that have him behind schedule on work.  Doesn't help that their house is being remodeled right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't enjoy the political intrigue stuff as much as the action and adventure
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's a damn shame, right there. Council Wars is one of my favorite of Ringo's works.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Considering the steaming pile of crap Weber excreted for Safehold #10, we're all better off hoping he never touches the Prince Roger series again.  Weber is either losing it or has crappy ghost writers.  His recent Honor Harrington releases were pretty awful.  Such a shame, used to love his work.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Considering the steaming pile of crap Weber excreted for Safehold #10, we're all better off hoping he never touches the Prince Roger series again.  Weber is either losing it or has crappy ghost writers.  His recent Honor Harrington releases were pretty awful.  Such a shame, used to love his work.
View Quote
The problem is that the safehold books have painted themselves into a corner.  Nobody could save them now. Webber is still an excellent writer, he just fucked himself.  I suspect that if you got a couple of drinks into David Webber he’d admit it.

Even good writers have been known to do this... it happens.  I’d be willing to bet that Ringo feels the same way about the looking glass novels (fuck, I wish I would have zigged instead of zagged).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top