Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 33
Posted: 5/20/2018 10:16:20 PM EDT
I don't know these people, I'm not Catholic, and I'm not affiliated with them in any way, however these videos present an interesting perspective on why Jesus Christ is the Son of God. I know He is who He says He is. Do you?

Hope you enjoy them.

Belonging -- Liar, Lunatic, or Lord

ETA: Excerpt video from Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis Lord. Liar of Lunatic
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Firebrand street preacher who ran afoul of authorities and got dead for his trouble + followers who told a lot of stories + ignorant people more willing to believe in magic/gods.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
This exact thread title was was in the religion forum on "Battlerifles.com" about 16 years ago.

Amazing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Fallacy of exhausted hypotheses.

It's completely possible for a human to wholeheartedly believe something untrue and not be mentally ill.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice, OP.  Fr. Schmitz does a nice job with his videos.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not really. I watched the beginning of the first video, this looks like an old argument that Jesus must have been legit because his behavior and th behavior of the people around him don't match claims that he was nuts or a liar. I like the priest and the cartoon notebook is well done, didn't find it particularly convincing
View Quote
Hard to find it convincing when you don't even invest ten minutes to watch a video.  That said, I'm sure this is not the first time you've heard of Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:38:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Paul Washer is a good teacher/pastor.  Have met him a couple of times.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#7]
He is God.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The neat thing is, everyone is gonna find out sooner or later.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Trick question. Lemmy is God.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Firebrand street preacher who ran afoul of authorities and got dead for his trouble + followers who told a lot of stories + ignorant people more willing to believe in magic/gods.
View Quote

Anyone who thinks Jesus was a "firebrand" preacher has not read the Bible.

This is a guy who encouraged people to pay their taxes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#11]
First, it's Jesus THE Christ. (Christ was not his last name)

2nd, you will find Presbyterian's and the like don't acknowledge Chatolic's as Christians.

3rd, it's past my bed time so maybe I'll watch them tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He is God.
View Quote
Sure is.

https://www.gotquestions.org/I-and-the-Father-are-one.html
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Assyrians, Muslims, Mongols and Nazis could have wiped away the memory of the Tribe of Judah and the Idea of Christianity should have been stomped out by the Romans if it was just another man made religion but it seems God has a plan based on his timeline not ours.

Yes, I call him Lord.

The conversion of Paul would have to take place with some serious "that's a fact jack" event.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
First, it's Jesus THE Christ. (Christ was not his last name)

2nd, you will find Presbyterian's and the like don't acknowledge Chatolic's as Christians.

3rd, it's past my bed time so I'll watch the maybe tomorrow.
View Quote
1. Agree.

2. I'm not worrying about all of that.

3. Good night and enjoy it tommorow.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I wonder if anyone ever changed their mind because someone quoted an informal fallacy?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm pretty sure he ruffled some feathers with his kicking ass and taking names at the temple.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure he ruffled some feathers with his kicking ass and taking names at the temple.
View Quote
There were only 3 times in Christ's ministry where He openly bucked the authorities:  The two temple cleansings, and the denunciation of the Pharisees.

The rest of the time He was pretty mellow in His actions and advice towards the authorities.  Pilate didn't even want to crucify Him because he knew the Jewish leaders were lying about Him.

ETA:  I guess you could argue those actions pretty radical for the time.  But Jesus was not some wild-eyed revolutionary who was out to overturn the established order.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#18]
He is not God, but God's son, his first creation, and the one that God had make all things, including us.

Colossians 1:15,16...

15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: 16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth...
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#20]
He is the risen Son of God and rules at the right hand of God.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The neat thing is, everyone is gonna find out sooner or later.
View Quote
Or not.....
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:56:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Jim Jones. Liar, lunatic, or lord?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#23]
This is the first time I have heard of the trilemma. I find it very interesting as a logic experiment for lack of better term on my part. I believe He is who He said He was.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:08:42 PM EDT
[#24]
None of the above.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
He is not God, but God's son, his first creation, and the one that God had make all things, including us.

15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: 16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth...
View Quote
Jesus was not created.  Very very bad theology
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I disagree.

1 John 4:9...

In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

Jesus was sent...he did not send himself.

He is the only begotten...the only thing his father created with his own hands.

It's not hard to understand.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Jesus is Lord, Paul Washer is an A-Hole.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:32:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
7 years of Catholic school. Not a logically compelling argument but like I said, the priest seems like a charismatic speaker and I liked the presentation. People have believed stranger things than some nice guy and compelling speaker is the Son of God. Read any thread here about the Civil War or evolution.
View Quote
That's one of the reasons I don't send my kids to a Catholic school.  They're mostly garbage when it comes to teaching faith.

Not looking to make you my prodigal son project, but what is it that made you walk away (assuming you were Catholic)?  I hope I am not intruding, I just don't understand how Catholics can walk away from their faith.  I suspect it's poor catechesis and lack of familial enforcement, but not having gone through it, I have no idea.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
He is the risen Son of God and rules at the right hand of God.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:45:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I vote legend.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:49:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wrong......
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:49:14 AM EDT
[#33]
The Professor Brothers - Jesus Fucking Christ
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Still haven't watched the videos yet, but I'll say I believe in the Triune God. That is that God the father, Jesus the Christ and the Holy Spirit are all God. Yes Jesus was a man, 100% human, but God. It's not easy to conceptualize and I can't entirely explain it. But I accept it, I can't explain a lot of things but that doesn't make them any less so.

(going to watch vids now)

Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:55:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Hong Xiuquan: mad, magical, or misleading?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:03:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Jesus is LORD
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#37]
He wasn't a Liar or a Lunatic. Jesus is the Christ, he is God. (So is God the father and the Holy Spirit)
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:05:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
He is God.
View Quote
Sure is.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:08:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Umm. I think the Bible says you are incorrect.

John 1
1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning. 3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

6There was a man sent from God whose name was John. 7He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe. 8He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.

9The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. 10He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

14The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:08:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Trick question. Lemmy is God.
View Quote
This is the fallacy of Religion.

Some say Lemmy, while others say Clapton.

Nobody is right, if everybody is wrong.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:11:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
That makes no sense, whatsoever.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:14:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I disagree.

In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree.

This speaks to this God fellow, having not created anything else, at all, other than his son.

I sure wish you religious types would get your stories straight.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:18:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Zero evidence he even existed.  The Bible is not evidence.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:30:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Eccentric apocalyptic rabbi, if he existed at all.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:32:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:35:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's actually quite a bit of evidence outside of the bible citing his existence.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:36:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:42:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There's actually quite a bit of evidence outside of the bible citing his existence.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actual evidence, or more he said, she said?

I believe the man existed.
I also believe in the power of mankind's need for faith in something other than itself - an explanation it can accept in the name of peace of mind.

Aside from that, there is no proof of any of it (Religious beliefs). They are just that - beliefs - and nothing more.

Mankind would do well for itself to take a bit of personal responsibility in this life, and do unto others as he would do unto himself, simply for that reason.

Kind of like the old saying, "God helps those who helps themselves." Perhaps because there is not actual God, but rather the true concept of being responsible for these lives we live all by ourselves, because of ourselves and each other.

Just be good humans, to yourself and those around you.
You don't need a made up story or "Creator" to explain it to you, or tell you why, how etc...

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:48:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
That theology is so bad, and it has deceived many many people. It has its origins from a group called the bible students founded by Charles Taze Russel and now is a prevalent cult.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:53:49 AM EDT
[#50]
A religion thread....in GD......these threads are never complete train wrecks.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 33
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top