Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2022 2:07:08 PM EDT
I've had Jedi Fallen Order since 2019.

I've beaten it multiple times, it's taken me a long time to get good at it to the point where I can finally beat it without dying on Jedi Knight difficulty.  I can say without reservation now and with the benefit  of time and learning to play it well that Jedi Fallen Order absolutely sucks.

There are three main boss battles (Ninth Sister, Malicos, and the Second Sister) and the game does NOT allow you to beat any of them.

The Ninth Sister is in a cut scene at the end of your fight force pushed off a giant tree, no idea if she's dead or not.  

Malicos is defeated in another cut scene at the end by the Night Sister Merrin.

Second Sister is defeated in yet another cut scene at the end by Darth Vader.

The game doesn't even allow the main protagonist, Cal, to save his own master at the end. Nope, the Night Sister Merrin jumps in and saves the day there too.  

What's the point to a game where you're not allowed any victories? Who the heck makes a video game where you don't allow the player to defeat a single one of the main bosses?

Also, Cal is apparently the weakest Jedi in the 10,000 year history of the Jedi. Even maxed out with every force ability in the game he's weak and unable to use his fore abilities until basically he has a nap like Baby Yoda.  The game has great fight combinations, but you can't utilize them often because they limit your ability to do so via this "force meter" mechanic so when you do fight the main bosses you're basically hacking and slashing with plain old button mashing for 4 of every 5 minutes.  It's boring, let the character get to a level of proficiency at least at the end where he can do all his special moves at will even if it means making the end fight harder.  

I have no clue why this game got such high ratings when it came out only to guess that it's due to the Zoomers having no clue what a good Star Wars game looks like sadly.  Jedi Fallen Order is no "Force Unleashed" that's for sure or "Republic Commando" it just sucks.

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 12:40:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I liked it more than Force Unleashed.

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that's a pretty harsh assessment.  This is one of those games that I enjoyed playing, but haven't touched it since I beat it, and have no desire.  The fundamental problem I had is that the map sucks.  It's absolutely useless.  I generally enjoy exploring, but having to watch a YouTube video to figure out where to go is no fun at all.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think that's a pretty harsh assessment.  This is one of those games that I enjoyed playing, but haven't touched it since I beat it, and have no desire.  The fundamental problem I had is that the map sucks.  It's absolutely useless.  I generally enjoy exploring, but having to watch a YouTube video to figure out where to go is no fun at all.  
View Quote

You definitely have to learn the maps well and I can say even after multiple, multiple replays it's only now some three years later I can navigate the maps very well.

The issue is that BD1's holographic map sucks, it's not clear to see and they definitely should have fixed that so you could tell where you were and where you had to go.

The most challenging map to navigate is probably Zeffo and the key to Zeffo's navigation is the giant central Ice Cave.  Once you have access to that and understand what each elevator does navigation there is a little easier.

Such a simple fix though that could have made in development with making BD1's map for readable.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My biggest issue with that game is that the combat felt bad.  Don't get me wrong, it's still the best Star Wars game we've had since like, KOTOR I guess, or maybe Jedi Outcast.  

But the lightsaber feels so awkward and clumsy.  Both in blocking/defending, where in my experience it seemed like sometimes I'd block everything deftly like a badass, or block the first shot in a volley and eat all the other ones, and in attacking where it seems like most engagements just end up with spamming left click until the target dies or goes away.

Especially early on in the game when you don't have many combat upgrades or force powers, I remember a lot of times running at someone to get into a fight with them, and they'd often just backpedal and shoot me relentlessly until I was able to close the distance and kill them.  It felt so awkward trying to close the distance to melee range, all the while flailing the lightsaber around like a fly swatter or something.

I still enjoyed the game overall, but it had very little replay value for me.  Hacking things up with the lightsaber felt more like a chore than a fluid means of defending and attacking.
View Quote

Yeah, once you get full force powers and all the skill tree filled the game suddenly becomes fun, but that's like 2/3rds of the way into the game and the Force meter still runs out way too fast.  Something is off about parrying in the game, it feels like at time there is a latency issue almost, because I'd find myself thinking "give me a break I parried that for sure."
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I liked it more than Force Unleashed.

View Quote

Blasphemy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top