Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/5/2019 9:33:39 PM EDT
Given all the hype surrounding the new Joker movie, I wanted to ask what arfcom thinks about Leto's joker.

I think Leto got a bad rap for his portrayal.  I thought his take was not only really interesting, but really necessary to distinguish it from Ledger's.  Everyone was going to compare it to Ledger's, and I think he knew he had to make it completely different from that version.  I really liked the over the top tattoos and jewelry.

I think he deserves a standalone Joker movie.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#1]
It was contrived and tiresome. It failed to rebel against the tyranny of the ideal -- and its degenerate counterpart, the cliche.  By mixing cultural categories, playing high against low, the pathetic against the monumental, he seeks not only to displace our aesthetic habits but to also provoke reflection on how we classify the experience. In Letos' disorienting work, information is derived not from categorizing but from bouncing off definitions; the pulling down of facades is carried out at times with an enjoyable viciousness but mostly with playfulness and vitality; but we ultimately see through it as loose limbed,  raucous and bluntly honest.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Leto's Joker fucking sucked.....  Phoenix's was very good
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Hate it.

Heath Ledger nailed it, doesn't get better than that.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Who?...
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#5]
When?...
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Jack is still best Joker.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Nah

Couldnt take him seriously. Those metal teeth made him look like some hoodrat joker
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't think being in a Will Smith driven turd of a movie helped, but his Joker was great IMO.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hate it.

Heath Ledger nailed it, doesn't get better than that.
View Quote
Have you seen the new joker?

And OP Jared Leto sucked. Just like most of his other shit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Phoenix>Jack>Ledger.

Leto doesn't deserve to be in that comparison.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I couldn't get more than 20 minutes into that movie it was awful
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Leto's interpretation of The Joker was as a thug/gang leader, and that's not The Joker.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#15]
There's normal, half assed, semi-retard, and full retard.

Guess which route they went.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#16]
The reason ledger rocked is that its a character you can do anything with.  No holding back.  He didn't.

Leto, who i love, held back.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#17]
He fucking sucked.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Ledger was believable. Leto didn’t seem believable, he was trying to hard I think.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't think being in a Will Smith driven turd of a movie helped, but his Joker was great IMO.
View Quote
It was something different and weird.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Did I make in before they announced the new African American Female Joker????

Laugh all you want, if it's historically beloved male, white character....it's directly in the crosshairs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It was contrived and tiresome. It failed to rebel against the tyranny of the ideal -- and its degenerate counterpart, the cliche.  By mixing cultural categories, playing high against low, the pathetic against the monumental, he seeks not only to displace our aesthetic habits but to also provoke reflection on how we classify the experience. In Letos' disorienting work, information is derived not from categorizing but from bouncing off definitions; the pulling down of facades is carried out at times with an enjoyable viciousness but mostly with playfulness and vitality; but we ultimately see through it as loose limbed,  raucous and bluntly honest.
View Quote
Yeah, what he said
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
careful with all them big words. some around these parts aren't going to understand you.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
Assuming (40) hour work week is Phoenix, don't recognize the meth...
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It was something different and weird.
View Quote
And it had to be.  He had to know he was never going to touch Ledger's version, so I'm assuming he made it so garishly different so as to have as little resemblance as possible.  I really think a major factor of the hate comes from fans who are just pissed it's not Heath Ledger, and pissed that he died.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@RIP-Yataski
Jared Leto in the movie Suicide Squad
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Jack fucking sucks,he plays the same guy in every role...Himself.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#27]
It was... meh.

But the rest of the movie was so fucking bad it made me wish there was more scene's with him LOL.

I guess a LOT of the character development for his role was cut, which is why it came across as poorly as it did.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#28]
The problem with super hero/villain characters is not everyone reads comic books and cannot recognize nor do most realize these characters have different personas or versions (for lack of a better word) based on who wrote them or what arc. Folks default and compare the the actors to whatever the most well known/pop culture version is and use that as a base for opinion.

Leto’s version was pretty similar to the Brian Azzarello version and I’m willing to bet that’s where he got the inspiration. Not so much physically but in terms of personality and his organization. With that he nailed THAT version of the joker. Ledgers was completely different and focused more on the deranged, no method to madness versions. Leto’s was more the criminal kingpin versions.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Leto was a modern take on the silver age gangster Joker, a gangleader and thug brought to a current aesthetic. The Clown Prince of Crime, or in this case more like the Fresh Prince..
This is the lamest Joker, held back by the Comics code, and turned into a loon, as opposed to a serious psychopath, as he was when he appeared and returned to when comics allowed themselves to go dark again. This type of Joker is my least favorite, removing his insanity, and instead making it a front, and a posture.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@RIP-Yataski
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@RIP-Yataski
Ah, I see. Not even a Batman movie?!? No wonder it ain't familiar.

Ain't never seen that movie, don't have any desire to either...

...appreciate the info
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
He fucking sucked.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#32]
My only complaint about Joaquin Phoenix's Joker is that he doesn't seem like the type who could be a criminal mastermind.  He isn't smart enough.  He's just totally nuts and Phoenix makes the character's insanity believable but he's missing that "crazy genius" aspect of the character.

Ledger's Joker was insane but highly intelligent and capable of complex plots involving manipulation of key figures.  That's who the Joker truly is.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Given all the hype surrounding the new Joker movie, I wanted to ask what arfcom thinks about Leto's joker.

I think Leto got a bad rap for his portrayal.  I thought his take was not only really interesting, but really necessary to distinguish it from Ledger's.  Everyone was going to compare it to Ledger's, and I think he knew he had to make it completely different from that version.  I really liked the over the top tattoos and jewelry.

I think he deserves a standalone Joker movie.

Thoughts?
View Quote
Though, from what I understand, and saw from a clear comic book nerd (in all respects to the guy), there was something like three different Joker personas. The first was the Golden Age, which was more of a themed mob boss, which was a violent kind of character, but also had a good deal of charisma, and had men that were generally loyal to him (as oppose to being afraid of him), and people would tend to treat him with a degree of respect, and not terror at his presence. Then there was the cartoon-ish version that can be best seen in the older Adam West batman show. Then you have the psychopath, of which the Joker in the more modern comics and Ledgers version are.

I saw Leto's as the original mobster like version, compared to Ledger's more psychopath version.

All that said, I like both versions, but I wouldnt ever bother with comparing them, as that is like comparing a Corvette to a Charger, they have similarities, but are still different.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:02:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't like anything Leto does, really.

Ledger is and will always be Joker to me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Mark Hamill was the best Joker.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Loved Leto’s Joker
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I thought Leto was good. Hell, the storyline with him, Harley and Batman was better then the actual Suicide Squad plot.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Though, from what I understand, and saw from a clear comic book nerd (in all respects to the guy), there was something like three different Joker personas. The first was the Golden Age, which was more of a themed mob boss, which was a violent kind of character, but also had a good deal of charisma, and had men that were generally loyal to him (as oppose to being afraid of him), and people would tend to treat him with a degree of respect, and not terror at his presence. Then there was the cartoon-ish version that can be best seen in the older Adam West batman show. Then you have the psychopath, of which the Joker in the more modern comics and Ledgers version are.

I saw Leto's as the original mobster like version, compared to Ledger's more psychopath version.

All that said, I like both versions, but I wouldnt ever bother with comparing them, as that is like comparing a Corvette to a Charger, they have similarities, but are still different.
View Quote
This is a great explanation.  But Like I said most folks who aren’t comic nerds don’t realize there are multiple versions of characters based on who is writing and compare them all to the most famous/widely known versions.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Caesar and Jack is still the best jokers.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:15:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
QFT
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Not as worse as this pickle smoochers Joker.. looks like the creeper from jeepers creepes

Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Laugh all you want, if it's historically beloved male, white character....it's directly in the crosshairs.
View Quote
^He’s right you know..
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
^He’s right you know..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^He’s right you know..
So wait... if they have a African American person play the Joker (lets not assume genders)... would they be wearing White Face?
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not a comic book nerd but I know enough to agree with your summary. Not to mention the whole movie was mindless and terrible and Joker was the best part of it. But between people hating the movie and comparing him to Ledger, doubt we'll get a full take on it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#50]
I wonder if Leto would make another Joker movie.  He's probably pissed that he'll likely be sandwiched between two guys who won an oscar for their take on it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top