Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/4/2023 10:44:08 PM EDT
If the movie is being shown in Japan, are they viewing the movie as the tool that ended WWII or a prequel to all the Godzilla movies?
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 10:44:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I hear it's blowing up in Japan.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#2]
It's big in Japan.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 10:47:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Shut it down boys!!!

/thread

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fpni
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 10:52:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's big in Japan.
View Quote
That you Tom?
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have often wondered why there is no obesity in Japan.  Seems they have an aversion to fat men.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Winner.

/thread
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#9]
If you ever spent any time watching NHK World, that Country has a real chip on their shoulder about being nuked. They will work that shit in every news story or show they possibly can.

Someday, I would like to visit The Col.Tibbets Memorial Park.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#10]
There's a boycott going on because they considered the Barbenheimer meme to be culturally offensive and making fun of their deceased. We talked about it in the Anime thread a bit but I didn't think most people here would care so I didn't make a thread.

FWIW: It hasn't actually released there, nor is there any slated date for it to be released, they just pre-emptively hate it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:11:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Japan still hasn't forgiven us.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:12:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

To glowing reviews?
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you ever spent any time watching NHK World, that Country has a real chip on their shoulder about being nuked. They will work that shit in every news story or show they possibly can.

Someday, I would like to visit The Col.Tibbets Memorial Park.
View Quote

During the years that the Enola Gay was being restored, Japanese news crews would start showing up at the restoration shop a couple weeks before the anniversary, each year.  Their interviews with restoration staff took much longer than interviews by US news crews, because they would ask each question at least twice (in reworded form) over the course of the interview, in an apparent attempt to trip up the person being interviewed.  One of the crews was not above doing some creative editing before broadcasting the interview, twisting things around enough to make something of a diplomatic incident between the US and Japan.

My understanding is that part of the reason that they have that chip on their shoulder, is that their government did not allow WW2 history to be included in their textbooks until the last of the government officials that had taken part in WW2 had died off (somewhere around 1990, if I'm not mistaken).  History professors could verbally include it in their college lectures, but it was a forbidden topic in high school and lower grades.  If they hadn't heard it in a lecture from a college history professor (or some foreign source), what they had been taught could be summed up as 'there was a war, then the US nuked two Japanese cities'.  And from what I read at the time, their college history professors had been chomping at the bit for some years to get permission from their government to include the actual history of WW2 in the high school textbooks they were writing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

To glowing reviews?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To glowing reviews?

It will leave behind a radiance that will last for years and years and years.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have often wondered why there is no obesity in Japan.  Seems they have an aversion to fat men.
View Quote
Their Government will punish companies for employing fatties.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm sure China still hasn't forgiven Japan for Unit 731 or the Rape of Nanking, either.

Oh, that's right, Japan pretends that those war crimes and crimes against humanity didn't happen.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sumo wrestlers are their celebrities.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:19:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wonder how Nanking feels about that. We really need to make a film about Unit 731.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:20:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

For what?
Rebuilding them when they deserved annihilation?
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Went to the Smithsonian air museum last week.  Enola Gay was my favorite display!
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#22]
They can’t see it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#23]
The first bomb was on us, the second was on them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Jesus Christ.

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

During the years that the Enola Gay was being restored, Japanese news crews would start showing up at the restoration shop a couple weeks before the anniversary, each year.  Their interviews with restoration staff took much longer than interviews by US news crews, because they would ask each question at least twice (in reworded form) over the course of the interview, in an apparent attempt to trip up the person being interviewed.  One of the crews was not above doing some creative editing before broadcasting the interview, twisting things around enough to make something of a diplomatic incident between the US and Japan.

My understanding is that part of the reason that they have that chip on their shoulder, is that their government did not allow WW2 history to be included in their textbooks until the last of the government officials that had taken part in WW2 had died off (somewhere around 1990, if I'm not mistaken).  History professors could verbally include it in their college lectures, but it was a forbidden topic in high school and lower grades.  If they hadn't heard it in a lecture from a college history professor (or some foreign source), what they had been taught could be summed up as 'there was a war, then the US nuked two Japanese cities'.  And from what I read at the time, their college history professors had been chomping at the bit for some years to get permission from their government to include the actual history of WW2 in the high school textbooks they were writing.
View Quote

People should be required to watch Midway before watching Oppenheimer, for some context.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:26:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For what?
View Quote
Being that their own people got glassed, they have a slightly different view of it.

Barefoot Gen Atomic Bomb Scene 4k [HD][60FPS]

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It will leave behind a radiance that will last for years and years and years.
View Quote

Like a shadow to remember opening night….
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Japanese react to 'Oppenheimer' movie ahead of A-bomb anniversary | AFP
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:31:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

For what?
View Quote

For real though I just learned that all of the Purple Heart medals that we have now were made for the invasion of Japan. They expected so many casualties that we haven't exhausted the inventory.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Saw the movie today with my son and it was fantastic...to make sure we were balanced today, we ate sushi for lunch before seeing the movie
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#32]
One thing to remember is that in Japan, theatrical releases aren't a very big deal at all - the Japanese don't really go out to the movies very much, and the emphasis there is on home theater. So if Oppenheimer doesn't do much business at the box office, or even doesn't have a theatrical release at all, that really doesn't tell us a lot. The question is how many people will watch, and what the reaction will be, when it hits Netflix and Amazon Prime in Japan. That'll be a little while, so we'll see what happens then.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:33:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I wonder if it was showed over there what the fallout would be.

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

No pedophilia, either, now that you mention it. Don't like fat men or little boys.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:35:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
One thing to remember is that in Japan, theatrical releases aren't a very big deal at all - the Japanese don't really go out to the movies very much, and the emphasis there is on home theater. So if Oppenheimer doesn't do much business at the box office, or even doesn't have a theatrical release at all, that really doesn't tell us a lot. The question is how many people will watch, and what the reaction will be, when it hits Netflix and Amazon Prime in Japan. That'll be a little while, so we'll see what happens then.
View Quote

I'm thinking they're going to need a VPN.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Their reaction:
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:36:27 PM EDT
[#37]
I doubt they play it much in Japan.  They tend to hide from they're history.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck em. Don’t start shit.

They need to be glad it wasn’t Tokyo and Kayoto.

Should have hung their emporer on live TV as well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:41:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I doubt they play it much in Japan.  They tend to hide from they're history.
View Quote

The only history they read or watch is non-fission.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

People should be required to watch Midway before watching Oppenheimer, for some context.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Japanese military (during the first half of the 1940s) had one third control of their government's ruling council, due to having appointed military officers to the council.  Thanks to the military fanboy faction on the council, the Japanese military effectively had solid control of half of the ruling council.

Japanese military tradition was that wars were fought by taking as much land as possible, then (at some point before the opponent could turn the tide of war) 'sue for peace' and start peace talks to determine how much land would be given back to soothe the ego/honor of the side that had lost land, and how much land would be kept by the side that had captured it.

In hindsight, Japan should have 'sued for peace' shortly before the battle at Midway, since the previous naval battle wasn't a clear victory for them, and Midway ended up being a bad loss for them.  To compound the error in missing their ideal timing on when to switch to attempting negotiations, the Japanese military was convinced (from shortly after Midway, until Nagasaki was nuked) that they could salvage things and turn the war around to put the US back on the defensive.  

A small number of their senior officers had spent time in the US before the war and cautioned against anything more than a brief war with the US, but the bulk of their officers didn't seem to understand the overwhelming logistical advantage the US would have once the US economy shifted to wartime production.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:49:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Wonder how Nanking feels about that. We really need to make a film about Unit 731.
View Quote

The Memorial Hall of the Victims in Nanjing Massacre by Japanese Invaders is a major museum in the city.
https://www.19371213.com.cn/en/about/museum/202007/t20200710_2236058.html
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:50:55 PM EDT
[#42]
arot arot arot
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:04:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The Memorial Hall of the Victims in Nanjing Massacre by Japanese Invaders is a major museum in the city.
https://www.19371213.com.cn/en/about/museum/202007/t20200710_2236058.html
View Quote

Here's an interesting article about memorials and statues that used to stand in different parts of the Japanese Empire, and what happened to them after the war ended. Basically, they pretty much all got demolished except for the "Ryojun Loyalty Tower" in Lushun, China (formerly Port Arthur), which somehow made it and is still standing today. The Chinese call it the "Baiyu Pagoda", and few of them today remember who built it or what it used to be.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Next time do not conduct a sneak attack.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

But they've given us waifu
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:13:02 AM EDT
[#46]
I don't it will be shown in Japan, and if it is, few will see it.  Japan really likes to look at themselves as the huge victim of WW2 because of the two nukes.

They don't get the whole "fuck around, commit huge massacres and every other war crime you can list against multiple nations and peoples, and find out" principle.  Or even just the "don't start nothing, there won't be nothing" principle.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:14:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Fuck em. Don’t start shit.

They need to be glad it wasn’t Tokyo and Kayoto.

Should have hung their emporer on live TV as well.
View Quote

Theres a reason we didnt nuke tokyo... we had already firebombed it into oblivion already (actually killed more doing THAT than the two nukes).

People seemed to forget we (and the brits, and the germans) were and did level many cities without need for nukes.

If nukes had never been invented or were physically impossible, I bet we'd have had a HOT cold war that would have involved the destruction of many US and Russian cities by non-nuke ICBMs and intercontinental bombers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:15:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

You heard wrong, it bombed.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#49]

Never before has a FPNI more than this FPNI.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#50]

Wow. That was really, really bad.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top