User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By notarandomname:
So who pays?  The US pilot company they are forced to use or the ships policy ?
View Quote

"Pilots serve in an advisory capacity only, and have no legal or financial responsibility for any damages that occur."  -Pilot spokesperson, probably

Number of times I've been involved in a collision or other damage, and watch the pilot whistle as he walks down the gangway?  Too many to count.  Drop anchor in the wrong spot, pull up a crude oil pipeline?  Pick up the submerged cable to an island lighthouse?  Rip open the side of a bulker while turning around in the turning basin?   Pilot pees in a cup, along with the rest of us.  At most, gets a sternly worded letter from his commission, and goes on about his day.  

Irrelevant in this case anyway, as the lights out almost certainly point to a loss of power, not pilot error.  

The shipping company probably has a significant policy with Steamship Mutual P&I or one of the other clubs.  Enough to cover that bridge?  Yeah, no.  What does a bridge like that even cost?  2 Billion?  More?  

Shipping companies routinely incorporate each vessel separately, using shell companies, in an attempt to limit liability past whatever their insurance coverage is.  No idea if Grace Ocean PTE does this, however.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By notarandomname:
So who pays?  The US pilot company they are forced to use or the ships policy ?
View Quote
There are probably multiple insurance policies since there is the owner, the operator, and the lessee.

Those three should pay as I bet the ship's crew and their managers knew what the issue was and decided to try for their next port of call for repairs. Sir Lanka would be much cheaper than repairs in Baltimore.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:59:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#3]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
The FS Key Bridge is a convenience, nothing on either end is land locked without that bridge.  The daily traffic was light at 31000 per day.

All that matters immediately is getting the steel out of the navigation channel and the Dali off of the pier.  Life and business will continue with a little more inconvenience that will be routine in a few months.

View Quote

There was a former transport sec saying the other routes have tunnels and restrict certain types of traffic and materials.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:15:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#6]
For anyone not understanding what is going on here:

Biden saying taxpayers will pay for the bridge is essentially a confession that the event was not an accident (which is covered by insurance), but an act of war (not covered by insurance).

This is how the IRA brought the British Empire to it's knees.... Blow up expensive infrastructure until the British government can't afford it anymore.

The only question is who?  Russians?  Chinese?  Iran?

If you like our bridge destroyed... thank a Ukiebro today
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Send everything on the surface.  It's a hassle from longer trips, not impossible.

Restore the navigation channel and access to the harbor, worry about the rest later.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By styles:
The FS Key Bridge is a convenience, nothing on either end is land locked without that bridge.  The daily traffic was light at 31000 per day.

All that matters immediately is getting the steel out of the navigation channel and the Dali off of the pier.  Life and business will continue with a little more inconvenience that will be routine in a few months.

There was a former transport sec saying the other routes have tunnels and restrict certain types of traffic and materials.

Send everything on the surface.  It's a hassle from longer trips, not impossible.

Restore the navigation channel and access to the harbor, worry about the rest later.

Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse a ‘FINANCIAL & ECONOMIC ATTACK,’ Lara Logan Reports
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#8]
They can’t rebuild that thing.

There are endangered cephalopods living in those waters.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Pay for it with student loan repayments?  Or money headed to foreign wars?  Or money headed to the south of the USA?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#10]
It should come out what we’ve already paid in taxes beyond the insurance.  F them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:22:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: callgood] [#11]
Her comments come a day after Biden said it was his "intention that the federal government will pay for the entire cost of reconstructing that bridge, and I expect the Congress to support my effort."
View Quote

OK, FJB, we'll trade. Secure the bloody border.

The damn bridge should have been brought up to the current code, i.e., islands to protect the infrastructure.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By markmars:
Under the US Constitution Congress has the power to approve funds not the President.

But democrats ignore this document.
View Quote

I thought the president had a small private stash that congress would authorize yearly for little stuff only a couple million though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Grendel-OK:
I mean, who else is going to pay for it?

A bridge like that will cost, what a couple $billion? Maybe more?

Does the insurance industry and the shipping company have that much cash to lay out, even if they didn't spend decades fighting it?

How else do people expect to get a bridge like that rebuilt?
View Quote

As a matter of fact, yes.  The maritime insurance company does have the cash to pay for it.  It’s why the shipping company pays for insurance.  They pay huge premiums because they have huge liabilities.  

I expect the fed will pay upfront for reconstruction with the insurance company finally reimbursing a part of the cost.  Can’t let a cash cow like this go unmilked by the local/state/fed politicians.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:25:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#14]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Wasn’t that a toll bridge? Please, let me pay for someone else’s toll bridge.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By killstick_engaged:
God forbid taxes are actually used to fund infrastructure.
View Quote

Taxes were used to fund infrastructure… then some crappy shipping company knocked it down.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Replace it with a tunnel?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By R_S:

Biden saying taxpayers will pay for the bridge is essentially a confession that the event was not an accident (which is covered by insurance), but an act of war (not covered by insurance).

This is how the IRA brought the British Empire to it's knees.... Blow up expensive infrastructure until the British government can't afford it anymore.

View Quote

No, Biden said taxpayers will pay for the bridge because he's an idiot. He doesn't know how the process works and he spoke before doing any research. That's why Yellen was trying to walk that comment back.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 21usernamechecksout:
Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
https://c.tenor.com/QsHOleBpu9kAAAAC/evacomics-money-printer.gif
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bounce19712:

That's a wig.   They ALL have whispy slimy hairs like Smeagol
View Quote

And, similar ethics.

On topic: Will the replacement bridge be designed by the FIU bridge architects?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#22]

I was skeptical about the reported 50 foot Fort McHenry channel depth after I read the design summer draft of the Dali is 49.5 feet, so I checked the charts.

Clearance is clearance, I guess, and that harbor requires threading a needle to avoid shallow water.

I wonder how often Fort Carrol sees a near miss.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By styles:

Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse a 'FINANCIAL & ECONOMIC ATTACK,' Lara Logan Reports

I was skeptical about the reported 50 foot Fort McHenry channel depth after I read the design summer draft of the Dali is 49.5 feet, so I checked the charts.

Clearance is clearance, I guess, and that harbor requires threading a needle to avoid shallow water.

I wonder how often Fort Carrol sees a near miss.

There is no doubt that ship was as heavily loaded as it could be.  The wreckage of the bridge is creating a lot of problems at the moment:

Baltimore Bridge Collapse May Cost Billions, Dramatically Disrupt Supply Chains

For the shipping community, the accident will affect maritime lanes as carriers must seek alternative ports of call while the collapsed bridge continues to block the river, experts said.

In 2023, the Port of Baltimore handled $80.8 billion in trade, including 1.1 million twenty-foot equivalent units, 1.3 million tons of roll-on/roll-off farm and construction machinery, 11.7 million tons of general cargo, and 847,158 shipments of cars and light trucks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:29:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#23]
Originally Posted By Msgathof:

No, Biden said taxpayers will pay for the bridge because he's an idiot. He doesn't know how the process works and he spoke before doing any research. That's why Yellen was trying to walk that comment back.
View All Quotes

Brandon has people telling him what to do.  Clearly Yellen didn't get a briefing yet... or she is just muddying the waters saying "My expectation would be that ultimately there will be insurance payments, in part, to cover this."

One thing I have yet to hear anyone in the media say is what the speed limit in the harbor was for passing under the bridge.  The ship was fully loaded and trucking along at 8kts right into the most critical structure of the bridge.... it's really hard to explain how a ship without power was trucking along at such a high speed in the harbor.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Another 28 Billion to Ukraine and 1 Billion to fix bridge in same bill.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Ship owner damaged the bridge, therefore they pay to rebuild it. Simple.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Brandon has people telling him what to do.  Clearly Yellen didn't get a briefing yet... or she is just muddying the waters saying "My expectation would be that ultimately there will be insurance payments, in part, to cover this."

One thing I have yet to hear anyone in the media say is what the speed limit in the harbor was for passing under the bridge.  The ship was fully loaded and trucking along at 8kts right into the most critical structure of the bridge.... it's really hard to explain how a ship without power was trucking along at such a high speed in the harbor.
View Quote

Eight knots is not an unreasonable speed in a shipping channel. The vessel had two Pilots onboard and they would be directing the speed.

I said early on that it seemed odd that they didn't have tugs alongside that soon after departure. I have never worked that port and I am assuming that's standard operating procedure there. Once again, the Pilots onboard would be making that call.

I like conspiracies as much as the next guy, but I don't think this was some master plan by another country to destroy US infrastructure.  It appears that the vessel was not maintained properly and it had a catastrophic failure at a very critical time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Yotehunter87:
Another 28 Billion to Ukraine and 1 Billion to fix bridge in same bill.
View Quote

Rebuilding a broken bridge shouldn't be a federal matter in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

Rebuilding a broken bridge shouldn't be a federal matter in the first place.
View Quote

There isn't a single bridge that gets replaced around here without funding from the feds. The last mayor of my county seat used to complain about what he saw as the low amount of compensation for road projects because that annual mileage is exactly what they'd plan to do every year. Not a foot beyond whatever the compensated length of road was/ is
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Someone totals your 60 year old car, you think any insurance company is going to give you enough money to buy a brand new replacement?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Den of liars, thieves, shills, grifters and buffoons.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Eight knots is not an unreasonable speed in a shipping channel. The vessel had two Pilots onboard and they would be directing the speed.

I said early on that it seemed odd that they didn't have tugs alongside that soon after departure. I have never worked that port and I am assuming that's standard operating procedure there. Once again, the Pilots onboard would be making that call.

I like conspiracies as much as the next guy, but I don't think this was some master plan by another country to destroy US infrastructure.  It appears that the vessel was not maintained properly and it had a catastrophic failure at a very critical time.
View All Quotes

Sure.  There is nobody out there with motive:
How America Took Out The Nord Stream Pipeline

The tugboats broke away before the ship attempted to navigate under the bridge.  They were called back, but too late: The Baltimore bridge cargo ship asked nearby tugboats for help just before it crashed.

The pilot ordered the ship to drop anchor, and also gave steering commands, but by 1.27 a.m. the pilot radioed to report that "the Dali had lost all power and was approaching the bridge," Muise said.

Am I the only one that thinks that no steering control, no anchor control, and full power to the engines is not right?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:25:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: freerider04] [#32]
Am I the only one that thinks that no steering control, no anchor control, and full power to the engines is not right?
View Quote

Why wouldn't it be?

The ship loses power, no hydraulics to steer.  Backups are probably keeping engine control (possibly in a degraded mode of operation till power is restored).  Anchor can be dropped off the brake but there's a lot that can go wrong with that (and the order to do that really shouldn't be the first thing that happens) and its probably not going to be effective for at least half a mile.  It's a really dangerous procedure

I highly doubt they were at full power either.  They weren't moving particularly fast

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#33]
The speed at which fjb declared his intentions for the federal gov't to pay for this is quite suspicious.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By blackx:
Someone totals your 60 year old car, you think any insurance company is going to give you enough money to buy a brand new replacement?
View Quote

Whoever totaled it should.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SamuelAdams1776:

FPNI

Also, FJB
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SamuelAdams1776:
Originally Posted By WesleyHardin:
Fuck her too

FPNI

Also, FJB

All of this
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Must suck covering for a boss with dementia.

Good.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By blackx:
View Quote

If it's that much of an irreplaceable classic, you should really have it on an "agreed upon" value or a special policy or something along those lines.   And that "someone" would be on the hook.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

LOL    No, it's an statement that there won't be anywhere near enough insurance by the foreign owned companies to cover rebuilding of the bridge and all other $$$ lost.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top