Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2024 9:46:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1975]
Janet Yellen walks back Biden's comments US taxpayers on hook for Baltimore bridge collapse

Attachment Attached File

U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Wednesday appeared to walk back comments from President Biden that U.S. taxpayers would foot the bill for the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore.

Appearing on MSNBC, Yellen said money from the bipartisan infrastructure law could "potentially be helpful."

"My expectation would be that ultimately there will be insurance payments, in part, to cover this. But we don’t want to allow worrying about where the financing will come from to hold up reconstruction," Yellen said.

Her comments come a day after Biden said it was his "intention that the federal government will pay for the entire cost of reconstructing that bridge, and I expect the Congress to support my effort."

Biden said that, while the effort will take some time, the people of Baltimore "can count on us."

When asked by a reporter whether the company that manages the ship should be held responsible, Biden said the federal government would not wait for any decisions and would step in to get the bridge built and reopened.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck her too
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WesleyHardin:
Fuck her too
View Quote

FPNI

Also, FJB
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:58:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck her too
View Quote
Yech, you first.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Have Baltimore take out a $10B 'student loan'. Move along.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quiet part out loud.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:12:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#8]
look at her!... this entire administration is like the cast of The Wizard of OZ..

good God..
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:04:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd wondered about that as soon as I read the demented asshole had said it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By byron2112:
look at her!... this entire administration is like the cast of The Wizard of OZ..
good God..
View Quote
great analogy!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#11]
So who pays?  The US pilot company they are forced to use or the ships policy ?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:09:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I mean, who else is going to pay for it?

A bridge like that will cost, what a couple $billion? Maybe more?

Does the insurance industry and the shipping company have that much cash to lay out, even if they didn't spend decades fighting it?

How else do people expect to get a bridge like that rebuilt?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:10:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By GarandM1:
Yech, you first.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Fuck her too
Yech, you first.

I can smell the depends from here.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:12:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By notarandomname:
View Quote

My understanding is that the pilots are authority without responsibility.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:00:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Diversity will build a magical rainbow bridge with fairy dust
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:04:54 AM EDT
[#16]
We'll either pay for it directly or bail out the insurance companies that pay for it. But who cares, the dollar is strong and invincible, what's another few billion for a new bridge.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:07:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I wonder which of Biden's friends or donors owns that insurance company. He sure jumps when it comes to his little circle of thieves.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:35:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Yech, you first.
View All Quotes
Fuck her too
Yech, you first.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:42:50 AM EDT
[#19]
If Biden already said it was an accident won't that already affect which insurance companies are on the hook and for how much, assuming they use that comment to deny liability.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:49:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#20]
Originally Posted By Skydivesnake:
If Biden already said it was an accident won't that already affect which insurance companies are on the hook and for how much, assuming they use that comment to deny liability.
View Quote

Why would it being an accident absolve them of any sort of liability?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:53:51 AM EDT
[#21]

good God..
View Quote

They all have that trembling voice as if they are weeks away from dying.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:10:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 30calTBLkid:

Use a pineapple on a stick. Face sheild and gloves.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 30calTBLkid:
Yech, you first.

Use a pineapple on a stick. Face sheild and gloves.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:44:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Under the US Constitution Congress has the power to approve funds not the President.

But democrats ignore this document.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:49:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Robertpistol:
I wonder which of Biden's friends or donors owns that insurance company. He sure jumps when it comes to his little circle of thieves.
View Quote

Graft is a given in big money projects.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:14:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By notarandomname:
View Quote

Ship's policy for sure.  I don't know how much responsibility the pilot can be said to have had, since the total power failure was not the fault of the pilot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:20:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Grendel-OK:

Does the insurance industry and the shipping company have that much cash to lay out, even if they didn't spend decades fighting it?

View Quote

Someone was saying yesterday that under some old maritime rule that anyone who had a container on that ship will share in the liability for damages. There are a lot of containers on that ship.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:22:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Sebastian_MacMaine:

Ship's policy for sure.  I don't know how much responsibility the pilot can be said to have had, since the total power failure was not the fault of the pilot.
View Quote

Pilot has no liability. The government is about to get a quick education in maritime law and insurance if they think this will be covered. Most they can probably get is the value of the ship and the cargo.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:01:38 AM EDT
[#28]
In other news Hunter Biden has been named CEO of acme Bridge company and is the only bidder on the bridge rebuild.

President Biden said "It seems like he would be the best company to get this build and the contract was awarded to my son by sheer coincidence "
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:03:47 AM EDT
[#29]
fjb is always quick to attempt looking good by giving away your money.

That being said,  the bridge carries Interstate 695. So would that be fed money anyway?

Again, fjb claiming credit for something that would happen anyway. Then the .gov can pursue insurance companies.

fjb and the old Cindy Lauper sounding troll
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:19:26 AM EDT
[#30]
This entire country is one giant pyramid scheme
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:21:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

Someone was saying yesterday that under some old maritime rule that anyone who had a container on that ship will share in the liability for damages. There are a lot of containers on that ship.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
Originally Posted By Grendel-OK:

Yup.

Ship’s policy will bear the brunt of it. Everyone shipping something will get a piece of the fucking, though.

And the gov’t will take our money to bail out the insurance company, of course.

Side note: Not sure why the state-required pilots aren’t responsible, seeing as they’re there to prevent issues like this. You’d think there would be some sort of contingency plan for primary and secondary power failure.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#32]
I’m just happy to see them spending just a small amount of those billions in our own country instead of shipping overseas
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:31:09 AM EDT
[#33]
The  Francis Scott Key Bridge is also known as the I-695 Key Bridge because it is a part of the Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways, commonly known as the Interstate Highway System.

Maryland and the feds will probably be looking at the FHWA Emergency Relief Program (https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/programadmin/erelief.cfm) and/or FEMA (https://www.fema.gov/home), but first the Maryland governor must declare a state of emergency and Biden must concur.

This is how everyone in the the US, from Maryland, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Alaska, North Dakota, and everywhere in between, will get to fund cleanup and a new bridge.  Hopefully, in 18 years or so, litigation will recover some costs from directly responsible parties.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:32:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 1AEGW:

Pilot has no liability. The government is about to get a quick education in maritime law and insurance if they think this will be covered. Most they can probably get is the value of the ship and the cargo.
View Quote

This is correct, the Pilots have no liability. The vessel was covered by reinsurance through a P&I Club of about $3.1 billion.  That might not cover everything, but it should be a large chunk of it. All ships must have this to operate.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:54:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By rb889:
Side note: Not sure why the state-required pilots aren’t responsible, seeing as they’re there to prevent issues like this. You’d think there would be some sort of contingency plan for primary and secondary power failure.
View Quote

Based on initial NTSB reports, the pilots and crew did exercise a variety of emergency procedures.

Sometimes shit just happens that you can't get out of.  Physics is a bitch.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:01:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Great.  More Chinese steel.  Back  in 1910 the amount of foundries and tons of steel a nation produced was a measure of its strength.   We can't rebuild on the scale like we did in WW2.  The steel mill in Pueblo was being refurbished by a Russian oligarch but Pedo Pedro sanctioned his azz and all work stopped.  

When the Oakland side of the SF Bay Bridge was rebuilt, it was w/Chinese steel.  We couldn't make it here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:02:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:25:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Hmm do I want the infrastructure bill to be used for infrastructure or for gay trannies in Mogadishu to get bottom surgery?

Just buy the fucking bridge.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:34:08 AM EDT
[#39]
FUCK joe biden
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Does anyone in this clown show of an administration know what is going on?
It's like a bunch of 5 year olds jazzed up on sugar that are just running around in a gymnasium.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:19:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmishElectrician] [#41]
Is joe going to go down the bridge site and tell us how it means so much because "minorities" use the bridge to get to work and then the bid will go to a diverse construction company?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Robertpistol:
View Quote

Plausible.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Fuck her too
View Quote

Boom. Bitch.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By SamuelAdams1776:

FPNI

Also, FJB
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm sure they will make it a toll bridge and screw the people using it daily like the bridges over the Ohio river in Louisville Ky.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:26:21 AM EDT
[#46]
God forbid taxes are actually used to fund infrastructure.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:32:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: styles] [#47]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Money for Ukraine, a new bridge in Baltimore, importing a 100 million illegals, or red flag laws...hmmm where should we spend it all...
I know just print more...she's Janet Yellin for cryin' out lewd.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By AmishElectrician:
Is joe going to go down the bridge site and tell us how it means so much because "minorities" use the bridge to get to work and then the bid will go to a diverse construction company?
View Quote

That Chinese steel aint gonna forge itself...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#50]

good God..
View Quote

That's a wig.   They ALL have whispy slimy hairs like Smeagol
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top