BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I could be wrong, it happens all the time, but it seems like the only people that really like those have never been anywhere where that was the only option…

View Quote

The beauty of them now is that I do have options and can wear a different jacket if I choose. The gear itself is actually pretty nice with big pockets for my stuff. It was the mandatory wear of them in less than ideal conditions that sucked.

I was issued an M-65 alongside Gortex. For being in the field I would always choose Gortex. But it turns out I haven’t had to go to the field in over twenty years now. ;) but if I do ever have to, I have Gortex for that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
M65 is better than Arcteryx
View Quote
For panhandling and gunfights with the local sheriff, yes, by far.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Pirmaloft is BAe
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I still have my M-65 I had to buy at Ft Sheridan because MCRD Glenview ran out of them to issue. The Reservists stole all the serviceable ones. At various duty stations in my career the commands tried to confiscate it; but I retained the purchase receipt from the Army uniform store.
View Quote

Other services gave them away and didn't want them back...

That's how awesome they are - and how backward some of the services are (to actually try to re-issue them to some poor sap).
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I could be wrong, it happens all the time, but it seems like the only people that really like those have never been anywhere where that was the only option…
View Quote

Or were issued them.  Or are old enough this was state of the art at the time.  Or both.  Or just like an iconic coat that does a good job at what it was designed to do.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I wear mine when going to the bingo parlor, at the YMCA...
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't forget bodyguarding.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I just drug mine out from the back of the closet. I don't think I've worn it since high school, it was my dad's from his time in the USMC although I don't think he wore it much in Vietnam or Okinawa.

It's a little more snug these days and the zipper is busted bit I'll hang onto it incase my kid wants to wear it in hmwhen he gets older.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I took the patches off an old fatigue blouse from when I was active duty in the mid 70s and had sewed on my fat-body M65.  It's ambiance when driving my 151.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/109109/IMG-1989_JPG-2535782.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/109109/IMG-1990_JPG-2535783.JPG
Christmas parade last year
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/109109/IMG_5996_Cropped_jpeg-2535785.JPG
View Quote

What does the Alcoholics Anonymous on the arrowhead mean?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Best jacket ever made. Works well in the rain but excels in sub-zero, arctic like conditions. No finer jacket in existence….other than perhaps a waxed cotton knee length duster.
View Quote

Don’t forget that it’s bullet resistant up to .30 caliber ball.

And it’s has great stealth features. Soaks up radar and LiDAR. Nearly invisible to thermal.

And chicks dig it. It will get you laid. 80% of the time it works 80% of the time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I still have my M-65 I had to buy at Ft Sheridan because MCRD Glenview ran out of them to issue. The Reservists stole all the serviceable ones. At various duty stations in my career the commands tried to confiscate it; but I retained the purchase receipt from the Army uniform store.
View Quote

You went to boot camp at MCRD Glenview? That for the Air Wing?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an old one in woodland that I use as a work jacket. It's slightly silver from working in copper/moly concentrate. It served me well mining in northern New Mexico as well, though I'll grant it's not the lightest thing out there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Soon, I will be digging out the M43.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Or were issued them.  Or are old enough this was state of the art at the time.  Or both.  Or just like an iconic coat that does a good job at what it was designed to do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still have mine and wear it when it’s chilly.  I like it, but I wouldn’t seek it out if I didn’t have it.  It just isn’t that great.  About froze my ass off in the desert with that thing.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#15]
M65 with a thermal lined hoodie got me thru the Minnesota winters as a youngster.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Soon, I will be digging out the M43.
View Quote

The 43 field jacket is almost on par with the 56 just looks a bit nicer.  Still not very warm though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/deOINby-52.gif

I used to like your posts. You're now on ignore
View Quote

Dead bird on a mountain - 0

John Rambo -1

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I should number my jackets.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

And chicks dig it. It will get you laid. 80% of the time it works 80% of the time.
View Quote

I LIKE THOSE ODDS
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Fucking GD

I drop into a random M65 jacket thread and it costs me money.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Any equivalent jackets say, from Duluth Trading Co, Carhartt or somewhere else?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm  glad you still like it.   Its cold today up on the mountain, and I'm thinking I might break out my deck jacket soon.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Fucking GD

I drop into a random M65 jacket thread and it costs me money.
View Quote

I have an M81 Woodland one and a desert night camo one. They're legit. Mine are from ZF though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 5:43:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Don’t forget that it’s bullet resistant up to .30 caliber ball.

And it’s has great stealth features. Soaks up radar and LiDAR. Nearly invisible to thermal.

View Quote

I was aware that the M-65 was bullet resistant but not up to .30 cal. I had heard that it would stop virtually all pistol rounds but hadn't heard about up to .30 cal. Good to know and just makes sense. Thanks for the info.

A little known fact is that the M-65 field jacket was looked at by NASA as the outer garment for the first extravehicular space walk.

They felt that there was no finer garment that the M-65 for the first man in space. Ultimately it wasn't used and NASA used the space suits as seen on TV. Many in the NASA community felt that the "space suit" selection over the M-65 jacket was due wholly to pay-offs and bribes.

I believe that some scientists are on record as saying that if these Astronauts didn't wear the M-65 field jacket in space and died that they couldn't be held responsible. The M-65 jacket is just that good.  

Gay men love it too!

Op, have you tried the Arctic canteen? Another piece of fine military gear.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:25:41 AM EDT
[#26]
It was 45 degrees this morning and my coat has barely managed to keep me alive on my 4.8 mile commute to my office. I was afraid I might be found expired along the road with a scrawled note..."why God, why didnt I choose gortex???"

In truth it was perfect with me wearing a thin button down shirt and no liner.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I have an old M65 that I get out when it starts to turn pretty chilly out.

Wish I would have gotten a leather M65 when our unit went to Incirlik,  Turkey. A leather shop off post would make custom fit ones for $125. That was back in '91 when we had R&R there from Zahko, Iraq.

Leather ones here are kind of pricey. But I may still get one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Every thread, except this one apparently, it gets lambasted for not being a 3 layer Gortex extreme cold weather parka. Apparently a comfortable jacket for cool/cold weather isn’t good enough for the walk to the mailbox.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought we liked the M65.  

Every thread, except this one apparently, it gets lambasted for not being a 3 layer Gortex extreme cold weather parka. Apparently a comfortable jacket for cool/cold weather isn’t good enough for the walk to the mailbox.

I didn’t wear the M65 (with liner) to the mail box. Instead, I froze my ass off in one in the field as a young Marine at Camp Lejeune in the winter. It’s a heavy, crappy jacket suitable for casual civilian use in dry cool weather. It might repel water new but once worn in it becomes a sponge for rain. If it’s called a field jacket it should be suitable for field use.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:37:54 AM EDT
[#29]
I’ve still got my issue one, but it’s way too small. Picked up a surplus one with USAF tapes. Wear it most of the winter, but I get looks when I tell people I was never in the AF….
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I didn’t wear the M65 (with liner) to the mail box. Instead, I froze my ass off in one in the field as a young Marine at Camp Lejeune in the winter. It’s a heavy, crappy jacket suitable for casual civilian use in dry cool weather. It might repel water new but once worn in it becomes a sponge for rain. If it’s called a field jacket it should be suitable for field use.
View Quote

So did I actually, but I am not in the Marines anymore and I get to choose when and where I wear gear.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:45:59 AM EDT
[#31]
I pulled mine out the other day. Other than basic, I rarely wore it and it's like brand new. My son is almost big enough to fit into it. I pulled it out and showed him. I said no one will have one just like this, it's even got your name on it. He wasn't interested, he said "Dad, that's not cool".

I'm pretty sure he'll change his mind very soon,
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:46:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I have both my old OD one and woodland camo version that were issued to me in the 80's.

Where can I buy a quality version to fit my 60 year old Grandpa bod?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#33]
I still have my woodland and DCU issued ones.

I used to have a good quality black one I bought on the early 90s. It was replaced with a soft shell coat and donated a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#34]
I have my issued woodland and tri-color desert camo field jackets packed away still. I've been thinking about making a copy of the OD First Blood jacket after seeing a couple on here.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#35]
OP should wax his M65 to increase its excellence.

Post pics in GD.

Bask in the resulting glory and awe.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have both my old OD one and woodland camo version that were issued to me in the 80's.

Where can I buy a quality version to fit my 60 year old Grandpa bod?
View Quote

Alpha Industries makes a good one but it is insanely expensive, like $225.  And the liner is $100+.

Rothco makes a serviceable version for much less and they have grandpa plus sizes.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don’t hate them. There are just better options these days.
View Quote

This.

I still have mine hanging in the garage but I haven’t used it in years.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:26:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I pull mine out when I go panhandling.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ex cheered when I gave mine away for $5 after non stop badgering about being a hoarder.
View Quote
pics of M65 in M81?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If you don't leave mom's basement except on sunny fall days it's fine.

A British wind proof smock with a wooly pully sweater is warmer than a M65.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:28:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:44:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ex cheered when I gave mine away for $5 after non stop badgering about being a hoarder.
View Quote
I'll be buried in mine.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#43]
I still have my M65 and night desert jacket hanging on hooks on the door in my office.  I think I mostly use them when grilling in the winter.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Lows in the 40's and highs in the 60's are perfect weather.
View Quote

Yes it is

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Lows in the 40's and highs in the 60's are perfect weather.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#46]
I really wish I had my dad's M65 from Vietnam. It fit me pretty good back in the 80s and 90s; probably not so much, now. But I'd still like to have it. I have no idea what happened to it. He gave it to me back in the late 80s. I had it for a while, but then.....

And I'd like to have it simply because it was my dad's.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Stay out of the Pacific Northwest with that thing.
Small town Sheriffs might take offense.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#48]
No hate here. Love my field jacket.

AIRBORNE!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#50]
I have three of them. Woodland, OD green and black leather.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top