Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2020 1:53:31 PM EDT
Okay fellow model builders, I am in need of a new airbrush compressor. One with a really good moisture trap.

What are you guys using and what do you recommend?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for info.

Just bought my first airbrush.

Was thinking I could use my garage unit? But if an airbrush specific unit is more practical, I might go that route...
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I use one of these... Super quiet and it comes with a moisture trap and works great with airbrushes

https://www.amazon.com/Silentaire-Whisper-Airbrush-Compressor-55-85psi/dp/B00O305NPA
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Check ebay for used and less expensive silentaire compressors.
They are made in Italy but they have support in Houston Texas, where you can buy replacement parts.
I bought mine used several years ago (Badger branded) and am finally ready to start using it.  Had to get a few replacement parts, and new oil,  and got a space in my workshop cleared out and one of those small fold-up spray booths with the built in exhaust fan
Badger used to sell silentaire compressors under the name  million-air or billion-air (Still were made in Italy).  Now they sell a knock off from china

Iwata medea should be good too, as is grex
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m using a standard badger unit.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I got a new air compressor for my airbrush and then my fucking Aztek airbrush decided to shit the bed.

Now I have to order a new airbrush
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I got one of those $40 pancake tank compressors from ebay.  Sure, it's noisy as hell, but it works
great.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I got a new air compressor for my airbrush and then my fucking Aztek airbrush decided to shit the bed.

Now I have to order a new airbrush
View Quote

. Sounds like my luck!  Iwata HP-CS is a great investment.  I also have a Grex that does a great job as well.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I use one of these... Super quiet and it comes with a moisture trap and works great with airbrushes

https://www.amazon.com/Silentaire-Whisper-Airbrush-Compressor-55-85psi/dp/B00O305NPA
View Quote

I wholeheartedly second this, it’s amazingly quiet, I forget to turn it off all the time I got mine off EBay for 250.00.

Link Posted: 6/15/2020 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I’m using a standard badger unit.
View Quote

I have one from the eighties that has been in storage for twenty years.  

I tried it last fall an it was quite anemic.   I do have a Ridgid pancake and a Hobby King drier trap regulator but have to set up the fittings yet.  I have used the Ridgid without the trap and used the compressor regulator.  

Might be an option for a more versatile tool in the house.  I bought it for a finish nailer for wood working hobby.

Next I need the Iwata.   I have been using a basic Badger 350 single action I bought as a teenager in the eighties.

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd get this compressor for $125 and an Iwata Eclipse airbrush and call it good!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an Iwata which run constantly. If I were to do it again, I’d get something that had a massive air tank. Listening to the compressor all the time gets old.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#14]
When I was a kid and had no money, I used a spare tire for air to feed my Badger 150. It actually worked. Then I had to roll it to the gas station to fill it up again.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:21:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I ended up getting one of these, and really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/California-Air-Tools-CAT-1P1060SP-Compressor/dp/B077CNLPBC
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I wholeheartedly second this, it’s amazingly quiet, I forget to turn it off all the time I got mine off EBay for 250.00.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll go be poor somewhere else.

I had a Paasche compressor crap out on me a year or two ago that was probably 25 years old.  Mounted under a bench, it wasn't loud at all.

Currently using a harbor freight pancake compressor.  The whole house can hear when I'm airbrushing.  I really want to get a better compressor that's not loud as shit but poors right now.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Depending on the 18 to 20 volt battery tools you are invested in, I would go with one of them.  Ryobi, Ridgid, Milwaukee, etc.  They all make good hobby compressors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top