Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The people who are pro-net neutrality are either ill informed, a giant telecom company that wishes to box out competition, or on the left.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I let them know I support ending net neutrality.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. I let them know I support ending net neutrality.
View Quote
I can tell you all the reasons why NN is bad, the many reasons have been posted.  That soros is pushing it so hard should be reason enough.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sorry you've come to the wrong conclusion again but you could probably see why it's wrong to base your opinion on a court decision that got completely overturned. I don't know why you got butthurt for me pointing out that the appeal court's decision makes everything you stated from the district court a moot point. It's nothing personal, it's just true.
View Quote
The real point is here is that you have no real idea what Net Neutrality is really about, you don't know what it does and doesn't entail, you don't understand the actual situation from an economic or technical perspective, and you don't understand how government regulations works.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I can tell you all the reasons why NN is bad, the many reasons have been posted.  That soros is pushing it so hard should be reason enough.
View Quote
The fact that obama enacted it was reason enough for me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The people who are pro-net neutrality are either ill informed, a giant telecom company that wishes to box out competition, or on the left.
View Quote
Rarely do people get into the specifics of the thing. Just the name sounds awesome though.

"Net Neutrality" = Blocking rural startup ISPs

Everyone thinks is about "no throttling"... In reality it's about mandatory minimum speeds which only the big corporations can provide
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Rarely do people get into the specifics of the thing. Just the name sounds awesome though.

Everyone thinks is about "no throttling"... In reality it's about mandatory minimum speeds which only the big corporations can provide
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow. That has nothing to do with this at all. Zero. Fuck.

That's the problem with this topic. Everybody doesn't even have a clue about it and only believe what they want to believe.

Even after the truth has been beaten over their head over and over again.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure those are plusses for the OP.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
the FCC votes tomorrow.

If you haven't already voiced your opinion against the misleading "Restoring Internet Freedom" deal they've been tricking everyone into supporting, then go to gofccyourself.com and leave a comment in support of Net Neutrality.

Your wallet depends on this and ending NN is a fix that doesn't have a problem. Don't let them do this.
View Quote
Liberal Never Trumper is liberal.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who keeps telling you this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NN is an equalizer. We don't need the added problems of ISPs controlling more of our content and charging us more for our interests. I don't support you if you think we do. NN is our current best hope as its repeal introduces the problems you claim to be against, but I guess that's just your way of saying you're for censorship and market restrictions.
The Huffington Post.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Huffington Post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NN is an equalizer. We don't need the added problems of ISPs controlling more of our content and charging us more for our interests. I don't support you if you think we do. NN is our current best hope as its repeal introduces the problems you claim to be against, but I guess that's just your way of saying you're for censorship and market restrictions.
The Huffington Post.
It's the same lies that were pushed to get Obama rules in place. You don't want Evil ISPs blocking your content or charging extra?  We need more regulation!

Look at who's backing NN and that's all you need to know.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Enforcement of those laws often comes under regulatory agencies, just like gun laws come under the ATF.

When there's a true gun friendly president in office, he may direct the ATF to lay off of certain things or to more vigorously enforce certain policies.

The anti-trust and monopolies are similar because a presidential administration can open the door to abuse and redirect his agencies' focus elsewhere. Ending NN does just that.
View Quote
Holy fuck, are you really advocating for Net Neutrality by singing the praises of the ATF???

Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I’d trust pol pot before I trust the cunt who runs Comcast.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I’d trust pol pot before I trust the cunt who runs Comcast.
View Quote
I trust the cunt that runs Comcast more than the federal government
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

FNN. Pay for your own Netflix, ya commie.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#16]
No, No it isn't.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#17]
OP, STFU YFC
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Holy fuck, are you really advocating for Net Neutrality by singing the praises of the ATF???

View Quote
Nope. But they are actually a good comparison because they are regulatory agencies under the executive branch. The EB gets to set the agenda and choose what to focus on, or even to focus on anything at all. They really aren't run any different at that level.

I will say that the last time NN came up there were millions of comments left for the FCC and <1% was against it. Now your net company is paying bookoo bucks to make you believe that revoking the NN rules is good for you. It isn't. It's far from good for any of us.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
the FCC votes tomorrow.

If you haven't already voiced your opinion against the misleading "Restoring Internet Freedom" deal they've been tricking everyone into supporting, then go to gofccyourself.com and leave a comment in support of Net Neutrality.

Your wallet depends on this and ending NN is a fix that doesn't have a problem. Don't let them do this.
View Quote
lol, NN was a fix that didn't have a problem, just gov wanting control over more stuff...
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:55:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The real point is here is that you have no real idea what Net Neutrality is really about, you don't know what it does and doesn't entail, you don't understand the actual situation from an economic or technical perspective, and you don't understand how government regulations works.
View Quote
but other than that, he has a good grasp on the issue.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:34:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well yeah, other then that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:41:15 AM EDT
[#22]
This thread not going the way that the op thinks it was going to go.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:58:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
How much money do you think guns generate for the internet?

It’s not as much as liberal anti-gun interests.

Just ask James Yeager what private internet based companies (like Youtube) think about gun rights.

Gun forum days are numbered. You have no rights when a EULA is involved
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 3:03:10 AM EDT
[#24]
No.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 3:03:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Just ask James Yeager what private internet based companies (like Youtube) think about gun rights.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet YouTube is pro net neutrality.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 3:11:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because if we get rid of it, they'll have to pay actual market value for the bandwidth they consume.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Net Neutrality is just like every other business that the government sticks its nose in. It starts off as one thing, and ends up being something completely different. There's only one thing in common with such things, and that is that the government always works in its own best interests. The Federal government is an authoritarian construct, and thus, whatever it ends up doing benefits authoritarianism.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It would be in our best interest if trolls like OP were banned
View Quote
Hear! Hear!
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Nope.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Let me know when Spidey shows up and we get to talk about smart pipes!
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I like smart pipes.  Application aware networking is the future.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#33]
lmao OP is parroting points that he must have heard over at some DU forum or something.

OP has zero IT, network, or transport experience.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh you mean the same James Yeagar that had a big banner on his OWN forum that said something like "You do not have free speech here, this is a private forum" and he willy nilly banned any dissenting or critical opinion?  And when he got banned he started screaming how Youtube is anti first and second and it's an issue about our second being stripped?  Oh yeah and that youtube he's banned from?  It's PRIVATELY OWNED by Google, a supporter of NN.

Oh that James Yeager.

Oh private property rights.... so tell me how much you really know about who owns majority of the fiber and main easements/rows (hint, it's not the public).
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#35]
OP is one of about five people on this site that I will never believe a single woare they type and will go out of my way to do the opposite of what they recommend. Two of the others are Buttt_Spooge and PowerBottom_Secret
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#36]
No, its not!
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#37]
The internet worked just fine before the deceptively-named “net neutrality.”
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Nope. But they are actually a good comparison because they are regulatory agencies under the executive branch. The EB gets to set the agenda and choose what to focus on, or even to focus on anything at all. They really aren't run any different at that level.

I will say that the last time NN came up there were millions of comments left for the FCC and <1% was against it. Now your net company is paying bookoo bucks to make you believe that revoking the NN rules is good for you. It isn't. It's far from good for any of us.
View Quote
Everything worked before NN was forced on everyone.  It'll work fine without it.   The question to ask yourself is "Exactly why do we want more government in this case?"   In almost every situation the answer is "It would be fucking stupid to have more government."
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
the FCC votes tomorrow.

View Quote
If you and your fellow travelers are for "net neutrality" I'm against it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
w00t!
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And Lois Lerner (or her successor) will keep ARFCom safe from those mean ol' corporation-y corporations!

How can anyone be that gullible?
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#44]
they just cleared the room due to something having to do with security.

Pai was handed a note and said "On the advice of security we need to take a recess."
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
they just cleared the room due to something having to do with security.

Pai was handed a note and said "On the advice of security we need to take a recess."
View Quote
Who has odds on a bomb threat?
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

@Tsetse

First you need to understand how this is all connected.  In general, there are 2 types of ISPs.  "Last mile carriers" and "Backhaul carriers"  This gets a bit muddy because some last mile carriers have backhaul networks, and some backhaul carriers have last mile networks, but for the sake of this discussion we'll keep them in two separate groups.

Last mile carriers are the ISPs that bring the cables (phone line, coax, fiber, wireless, whatever) from their core network to your house.  This is the ISP that invoices you and you pay every month for your internet service.  This Last mile carrier has something that's referred to as a "border" where they connect their core network with a backhaul carrier.

The backhaul carriers are the BIG companies that built this whole "Internet" thing.  They did that by investing trillions of dollars running and continuing to run fiber optic cables EVERYWHERE.  These backhaul carriers all got together and realized that they needed to come up with a fair and equitable method and price structure for freely and  openly exchanging the information on their networks.  Thus the Symmetric Peering Arrangement was born.

The Symmetric Peering Arrangement was basically this.  "You have lots of data, and I have lots of data.  Let us exchange this data equally, however much data you send me I will send you an equal amount of data and we'll all just agree to not charge each other any money for that exchange."  But wait?  What if they exchange an unequal amount of data? This is the Asymmetric Peering Arrangement, typically it's the same thing as the Symmetric Peering Arrangement except that the both parties agree to pay for the non-symmetric amounts of data.  This is what lead to the internet.  Basically all these carriers put all their interconnecting and cross connecting points in free and open spaces, called Internet Exchanges.  Anyone who showed up and put a "point of presence" in the Exchange had the ability to talk to anyone else in the Exchange and negotiate peering arrangements or even just ask nicely to exchange traffic or whatever.  Here's a guy who setup a peering point in an Internet Exchange and essentially became is own ISP for no other reason that he thought it would be fun.

Now comes Netflix.  Remember ANYONE can have a presence at an Internet Exchange including hosting companies, data center providers, whoever the fuck wants to.  So that's exactly what Netflix did, they set up POPs at various Internet Exchanges over dark fiber from their data centers (dark fiber is a service where you buy a fiber strand from point A to point B with no actual "service" on it, it's just the fiber and you put your own optical gear on either end.)

Basically when they did this, they talked to everyone there and explained what they were about, that they provide a streaming movie service that's legit and legal and made the case that the carriers downstream last mile ISPs and assorted home subscribers would probably love to have access to their content.  They made a good case, and the carriers agreed that peering that content to their downstream customers was probably a good move.  So they gave Netflix some 10Gbps and 40Gbps cross connects told them "hey this is on us, no charge" and called it a day. (This is extremely common, so common that there's an entire automated system in place run by the volunteers that operate the Exchanges to facilitate it)

Well, you can probably guess what happened, Netflix grew and became crazy popular and their traffic eventually started beating those cross connects like red headed stepchildren.  We're talking 100% full ALL the time.  As others have touched on, when a link is 100% full, bad shit happens as one poster described as "a bunch of drunk guys screaming at each other in a bar."  The end result of this would be the rest of the Internet works just fine, but Netflix runs like TOTAL SHIT.  Stuttering, jitter, buffering, garbled frames, all that stuff.  When this happened, Netflix was like "OMG can we please get some additional cross connects?"  The carriers (or in the first case of it happening, Verizon) responded with statements to the affect of "Wow, yeah you need some more cross connects, but that's a lot of asymmetric traffic, we're going to have to work out an asymmetric peering arrangement where you pay for the difference in traffic, just like we've done for decades with everyone else we do this with."

Now, you see what happened next was...Netflix didn't respond by saying "Oh ok, sure we'll sit down and work out the details" they responded by being pissed off and demanding that peering for FREE because having to pay for it like EVERYONE else had to do so up to that point was tantamount to an unfair business practice.  Now the stories I've heard talking to people over at Verizon was that the business managers were kinda shocked and confused at the response, while the engineering teams nearly herniated themselves from laughing.

Now, looking at the situation, Verizon didn't "throttle" Netflix, they didn't demand payment for a "fast lane", they didn't stroke their bad guy mustache and say "Muhahahaha, we're going to use this situation give our own content delivery platform a market advantage!"  It was literally just a standard negotiation for an asymmetric peering agreement with some minor middle manager's assistant in the sub-division handling administrative and sales tasks for that region that the Internet Exchange was in. All it was, was a pretty basic business arrangement between two companies, as Netflix' traffic utilization scaled up, so would the amount they paid to deliver it and the necessary upgrades needed would be funded.

Netflix wasn't having it.  Not long after that, the CEO of Netflix did an interview with some trendy tech publication in Silicon Valley (I think it was Gizmodo, but I can't remember for sure) talking about how the big evil Verizon was "throttling" them and how we needed "Net Neutrality" to stop this.

Yes, that was their argument, that them saturating their free interconnects and being required to pay for more capacity was "throttling" and it needed to be "stopped" by the FCC (that's code for using the federal government to force Verizon to give them that capacity for free).

So the conclusion is that the carriers HAVE FIGURED IT OUT.  They charged Netflix, and Netflix eventually paid.  The Last mile carriers wound doing something similar by instituting data caps and charging extra to those who had high utilization.  Then everyone started implementing traffic shaping and management methods and technology to get the Netflix utilization under control at the last mile.

Problem is now solved.

Here's where Net Neutrality comes back in.  Netflix and Google and Facebook and whoever all still want it because they want to force peering arrangements beneficial to them.  But the end result of Net Neutrality would be to remove the carriers solution of dealing with this problem, namely charging Netflix and Google for their upstream consumption at the peering level, and using traffic shaping and management technologies at the last mile level.

Let me state that again,  NET NEUTRALITY WOULD REMOVE THE ALREADY EXITING SOLUTION.  It would cut the revenue stream at the peering level, and it would remove the traffic shaping and management at the last mile level.  This would INCREASE the strain on the carrier networks, AND reduce the spending on upgrading the carrier networks.  It will LITERALLY make EVERYTHING worse.

THAT is why the carriers are against Net Neutrality.
View Quote
Where is the LIKE button?
I'm saving this for future use, Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#47]
According to twitter they've taken the vote and nixed NN.

Good.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Well, my internet's already gone to shit. That didn't take long.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#49]
3 to 2 to kill NN.

Byeeeeee!
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
3 to 2 to kill NN.

Byeeeeee!
View Quote
Trump FCC to Obama?

Fuck you and your legacy. Not tired of winning. This is fabulous news.  Undo everything that fuck did. Every last one.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top