BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/2/2017 10:08:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Focus on today and tomorrow. That you can change.

Most of us have been there. Hope it goes great for you!

I struggled with my health, heart problems and whatnot. Finally got determined and got to lifting again. Went from 275 to 190ish in 4 or 5 months, then kept getting smaller but gained muscle from 190ish to 220ish. All in 10 months. I really wish you luck. It feels great to get back in shape.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Lies!!! You are just going to sit in your suna wearing your fancy sweater.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Right there with you. Blew a disk in my neck about 8 months ago. Couldn't do much. Tried to kill the pain with ice cream and beer.

This morning I couldn't reach my foot to get my shoe on. Time to do something.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I was doing pretty well in the spring, and okay over the summer.  Although when the weather got hot I was too lazy to run outside, so I'd just do 5k's on the treadmill two or three times a week.  So I was already slacking a bit.

Then we went on a fancy vacation to Hawaii (Kauai) in July.  Rented a beautiful house on the water.  My diet was pretty much beer, rum and raw fish for a week.     I figured, "what's the big deal?  I'll work it off when I get home"

Then my mother-in-law had a massive heart attack and ended up in the ICU.  We had to go directly from Hawaii to Florida.  She ended up being in the ICU for five weeks before she died, and we were traveling back and forth to our home in the D.C. area.  Couldn't really focus, and didn't have time for working out.  When that was all over, I figured I would finally get back to working out.  I had already gained quiet a bit of weight because of the vacation, plus stress, plus not working out.

Then I fucking got penumonia.  Bedridden for a few days, and coughing and hacking for weeks, and obviously couldn't run or lift or anything.  FINALLY, I start to feel better, and tentatively try a little bit of the stationary bike, and cautiously run 1.5 miles.  It sucked, but at least I was able to slowly start working out again.

Then my damn gout flared up, and lasted for over two weeks.  I was completely unable to walk for multiple days, and was limping around for the rest of the time.  Couldn't even leave the house most of the time, because my foot wouldn't fir in my shoes.   Fuck, I hate gout.   So now, FINALLY, I am starting to get to a point where the pain and swelling is low enough that I might be able to start again on Monday.

But I feel so flabby and out of shape.  And I am now heavier than I have ever been in my life.

It is going to suck to start lifting, running and biking again.  
View Quote

I'm of the opinion that it's not worth it to let myself go anymore.  I smashed the crap out of my wrist about 18 months ago on a front squat that I tried to dump and got my arm smashed between my leg and the bar.  Still hurts, a lot.  So I was down to nothing that involved pushing, but I could still pull so I was doing squats, deads, rows and squats.  Got really good at squats.  Then it started hurting to do much pulling with the wrist, so I was down to squats and.... Cardio? Screw that, just more squats.

That caused a small bone spur in the knee to break.  The only thing I could do was lighten up the squats so that I was squatting as deep as possible, ass to ankles on every squat.  Even at 135lbs a parallel squat would hurt a lot, but going all the way to the bottom I just never got better than 395 off my ankles.  

Now the wrist is allowing some more lifts, I can sort of bench press (but I don't cuz BP sucks), OHP is fine, getting a lot better at rows and pull ups and even did a few snatches.

In short, it's always easier to stay there than try to catch back up.  I'm 42 now and I don't know if I'd have the motivation to get back if I really let myself go.  It doesn't sound like you're in all that bad of shape, just looking at a few weeks of bad news then you'll likely be hitting PRs.  A few weeks/months off once in a while is great recovery.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#5]
And keto diet is good for gout.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hmmm - does Keto preclude alcohol?  
View Quote
No. Just things like beer. And sweet shit.

Hard liquor is fine.  You also get instantly drunk because your body attacks the alcohol first.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you use cherry extract for your gout?
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you ever coming back to cola warrior? If not, what's the point, like why even live
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#11]
You want to set up rotation of days where we come over and roll you around the house for exercise?
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Just remember that the suckiest part of getting back into shape is the time when you know that you should start exercising again, but you haven't. It's depressing.

Once you make the commitment and start, it gets progressively easier.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't feel lonely, Prof!

Suffering from chronic neck pain for the past year, I didn't do shit this year exercise-wise.  I went from 1500 miles on my bike last year to about 30 this year.

I'm far from fat, but heavier than I feel comfortable at, and need to get my ass moving again
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And keto diet is good for gout.
View Quote
Gout got so bad it moved from feet to my right pinkie. I now have to take 20mg of Prednisone every day, on top of the other three gout meds I take daily.

With that said, Keto is dropping my B/P and I should be coming off hypertension meds along with my cholesterol meds.....  So....
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Change your profile pic to you in the nurse outfit until you get to your goal weight.  That should provide sufficient motivation
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I was really sympathetic until I read the part where you started complaining about gaining weight and saying lifting was going to suck.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

But I feel so flabby and out of shape.  And I am now heavier than I have ever been in my life.

View Quote

Same. grad school and marriage made me slack on exercise. Spent hundreds fixing my bike up to start doing 50mi rides again
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That’s a fantastic and terrible idea.  

I’m not even sure which of the two pictures is worse.  I guess you can see how huge my gut has gotten in this one.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1715/Post2a-353863.jpg
View Quote
You could also set a goal weight and deadline and if you don't make it by then, you have to by a new centerfire suppressor
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#24]
That's actually pretty neat.

What behavioral science tells us is that we are loss-averse, social animals that make decisions in a time-inconsistent manner. What…? Simply put, we hate losing things and often give into immediate gratification (e.g. eating a donut) at the expense of our long term goals (e.g. losing weight).

The good news is that research has discovered two factors that effectively help people achieve the behavior change they desire: incentives and accountability.

Studies show that financial incentives and accountability get people to do stuff. That’s why stickK works so well—stickK helps its users leverage the power of incentives and accountability and is empirically proven to increase our users’ chances at success by up to three-fold.

And it makes sense. We all start off wanting to achieve our goal, but most of the time there's simply nothing out there to make us stickK to our word. By entering into a Commitment Contract, backing out on that promise just got a whole lot harder. If drinking a can of soda meant you'd have to fork over $10 to your friend, just about anyone would look for something else to drink.

stickk.com
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I struggled with my health, heart problems and whatnot. Finally got determined and got to lifting again. Went from 275 to 190ish in 4 or 5 months, then kept getting smaller but gained muscle from 190ish to 220ish. All in 10 months. I really wish you luck. It feels great to get back in shape.
View Quote
Wow! I need your program!
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Hard liquor is fine.  You also get instantly drunk because your body attacks the alcohol first.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to give this a real go for at least three months.

Ignore whatever your perspective is on 'diets' and just do it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Still fat?

Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been in "the suck" for 8 months now.  No gimmicks, just reasonable diet and lifting.  It sucks but it beats the alternative.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 1:20:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Couldn't even leave the house most of the time, because my foot wouldn't fir in my shoes.  
View Quote

I bet.  Those wooden shoes are not very forgiving.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Back on the wagon you go!

This year I turned in my tenure dossier - I was up to 235 at the end of the summer. Been counting calories and working out when I can, and I'm down to 213 this morning. 'Nuther 13 lbs to go. I now fit into pants I bought 10 years ago. Rowed a 5k this morning, running an appalachian biathlon tomorrow morning
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#32]
take "before" pictures - then take pics in same pose/attire about once a week

you don't have to post them here, we don't need to see them

but the pics will remind you every couple of weeks that you are making progress, even when the scale doesn't change much

not doing this is one of the few things I regret about my losing weight and getting back in shape experience
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 5:07:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went keto in July and drank for the first time two days ago...it was the fastest drunk of my life....!
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did 1 solid meal and the rest protein shakes to lose. Now i eat 9 meals and day and keep my macros in line. Lift hard. Doesnt have to be a long time. I started with 3 hours of gym a day. I do better with 45 minutes plus a little cardio. Dont have to work out long, just crush it while youre there. Make a plan and evaluate data as you go. Just dont go and do something bc a fitness guy said so. Every body needs different things. I see 98% of the guys doing the same stuff every week, half of them do way too much cardio day after day and wonder why they dont get gains. They look the same a year later. No muscle. Skinny fat. Thats the difference between excercising and training.

I do 531 for my core lifts.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 5:57:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I was doing pretty well in the spring, and okay over the summer.  Although when the weather got hot I was too lazy to run outside, so I'd just do 5k's on the treadmill two or three times a week.  So I was already slacking a bit.

Then we went on a fancy vacation to Hawaii (Kauai) in July.  Rented a beautiful house on the water.  My diet was pretty much beer, rum and raw fish for a week.     I figured, "what's the big deal?  I'll work it off when I get home"

Then my mother-in-law had a massive heart attack and ended up in the ICU.  We had to go directly from Hawaii to Florida.  She ended up being in the ICU for five weeks before she died, and we were traveling back and forth to our home in the D.C. area.  Couldn't really focus, and didn't have time for working out.  When that was all over, I figured I would finally get back to working out.  I had already gained quiet a bit of weight because of the vacation, plus stress, plus not working out.

Then I fucking got penumonia.  Bedridden for a few days, and coughing and hacking for weeks, and obviously couldn't run or lift or anything.  FINALLY, I start to feel better, and tentatively try a little bit of the stationary bike, and cautiously run 1.5 miles.  It sucked, but at least I was able to slowly start working out again.

Then my damn gout flared up, and lasted for over two weeks.  I was completely unable to walk for multiple days, and was limping around for the rest of the time.  Couldn't even leave the house most of the time, because my foot wouldn't fir in my shoes.   Fuck, I hate gout.   So now, FINALLY, I am starting to get to a point where the pain and swelling is low enough that I might be able to start again on Monday.

View Quote
been there...after the parents died I ballooned up, lost it...than thought I could resume some of my old eating habits without too much of a problem, and also got a little lazy due to some joint issues making me not want to work out.  You can guess the result.  Back on track now and closer to where I ultimately want to end up but it was a lot of work.

You can do it...

ETA:  This second go round at losing the fatness I tried intermittent fasting (16 hour fast 2-3 times during the week, with a longer fast on the weekend sometimes), combined with a high fat diet and essentially cutting out all processed carbs.  I've definitely noticed results using those methods.  Trick now will be to see if I can stay this way.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone.  

I still can’t run - the fucking gout is persistent - but I can bike, and have been lifting a bit.  Not up to 225, but at least I am doing 185 on bench, squat and deadlift.

As much as I hate running, I am almost looking forward to being able to run again.  
View Quote
Running sucks. Just lift weights faster.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Running sucks. Just lift weights faster.
View Quote
Running does suck, but it's still the longest part of the course
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Running does suck, but it's still the longest part of the course
View Quote
Not for me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 11:23:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow you put on 30 lbs of muscle in less than a year? You're either on gear or have the best genetics I've ever heard of.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Sorry to hear about your MIL passing & your health problems DK.  Hope your wife is doing OK without her Mom.

The only advice I can give you is to cut down on the carbs as much as you can, especially the simple carbs, candy.

As if the flu isn't bad enough, you developed a speech impediment too:

...then I WILL make Cowa Warrior...
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Holy fuck, this flu sucks.

I feel like death.  
View Quote
Losing weight though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#48]
This is just my take, and there are several billion out there so take it or not:
Everything is mental. Marriage, work, exercise (that's part of work for some of us), eating, budget discipline, on and on it goes.
Starting out with the mindset that "it's going to suck", is a major setback before the first whistle blows.
Unless, the mindset is "this is gonna suck and I'm primed, ready and able to endure/enjoy that suck, and reap the benefit of it".
You might want to try this: adopt the mental attitude that every day, everything you do to improve your fitness doesn't "suck", it only gets you closer to the goal whatever that might be. Park as far as possible from the store entrance, take the stairs, lift what you can lift that day, run what you can run that day, eat a tiny bit less that day..... these things don't suck, they are victories. Little victories.
Keep piling those little victories one upon another and the larger goals WILL be achieved.
But overall a dedicated positive mentality cannot be defeated in a human being.

So for me it would not be "this is gonna suck", but "this is gonna be great, hard/harsh at times, but great".
Small goals (sometimes very small) achieved during the grind toward a larger goal(s) are where it's at for me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Damn, you got the AIDS.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top