Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2023 3:22:33 PM EDT
My mb-d18 grip for my d850 cracked its top plate and I’d like to find one to replace it. (No idea what happened, I pulled it out to put it on the camera today and part fell off)

It’s just held on with a few screws, so if I can find the part and fix it vs sending it in or buying a new grip, that would be great.

Any ideas (google has not been helpful) are appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd think your best bet might be to find another broken one, that's broken somewhere else and tear it down for parts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the only one who has replacement parts for Nikon equipment is Nikon. If you have an authorized seller camera store in your town you might be able to get a replacement part through them, otherwise need to send it in to Nikon for repair.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 6:30:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By engineer61:
I think the only one who has replacement parts for Nikon equipment is Nikon. If you have an authorized seller camera store in your town you might be able to get a replacement part through them, otherwise need to send it in to Nikon for repair.
View Quote
Good luck trying to get it repaired. I had a Nikon SB-400 flash, and they wanted to more to fix it than to buy a new one. I also tried to repair a Canon S100 and a Panasonic Lumix lZS50, they all wanted the equivalent of 50% of the cost of a new camera to repair.
BTW Panasonic does not have a company owned repair station in the US, it is a contractor.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Ebay.  Find a parts one that isn't broken where yours is.  About the only thing you are going to be able to do.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all.

I was afraid of that. I’ll give my (almost) local camera shop a shot first.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 7:56:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Plutonius] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hatari:
Thanks all.

I was afraid of that. I’ll give my (almost) local camera shop a shot first.
View Quote

I would try Peach Tree Camera. They are Nikon authorized. They did my D800 grips and bottom cover plus a clean of the sensor for the low $200s back in 2018. They give free estimates.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Nikon really doesn't like to sell parts to users - instead forcing most folks to an authorized repair center. There are a few exceptions that are camera specific (or were 15 years ago) like battery/film covers that are known to be vulnerable and relatively benign to replace. But for most stuff, it will be a chore to find parts...

-shooter
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
You might try buying a 3rd party motor drive and grab the part from it.  It might just fit.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#9]
So, I thought I’d share the update here.

I talked to my local camera shop as well as some others including those mentioned here like Peach Tree Camera. They all gave the same response that they could not do my repair and it had to be sent to nikon.

So, I went online and filled out the service request, got the shipping label, and spent $12.47 to ship the grip via UPS.

It took a day to get to them. They had it for a week before I got an email saying it would cost me $112.30 plus tax and $17.50 shipping to get it back, for a total of $136.64. The repair was simply removing 6 little screws, removing the plastic plate, and replacing.  

Let’s be generous and say the part was $10.00. Even if I worked really slow it would take me less than 10 minutes to do the repair myself…if I could get the part..l

I told them to go ahead and do the repair within 10 minutes of getting their email.

After giving the go ahead, it took two weeks to get the grip back from them. So all total it took about three weeks and $149.11 through nikon.

As an aside, I also found a couple on eBay NIB.  I bought one the same day I told nikon to repair mine for $138.00, including shipping from overseas.  It arrived in a week. It’s grey market, but cost less than cost to repair mine.  So, now I have my original plus a backup.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 6:12:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#10]
Labor is a thing :)

I crashed my drone and it broke the shock mount for the camera.  $2 part.  $65 labor.

I probably could have tried fixing it myself, but my history with this sort of thing is a $67 repair turns into a $300 repair

That being said, I bet Nikon went through and cleaned everything that could be cleaned while they were working on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top