Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2022 1:48:50 PM EDT
Is theres a decent digital caliper for around 100 bucks? I was looking at a mitutoyo for like 128 on mscdirect but it doesn’t even state a country of origin.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd be interested as well. After trying and tossing the Chinese crap, I've refreshed my knowledge of reading an analog one.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Mitutoyo goes on sale regularly on Amazon. I got a genuine set one on there for $101 on prime day last year.

ETA get em while you can. Price is definitely on an upward trend.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Mitutoyo is what you are looking for. I think normal price is 120ish
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mitutoyo goes on sale regularly on Amazon. I got a genuine set one on there for $101 on prime day last year.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/Screenshot_20220526-140120_Chrome_jpg-2397809.JPG
View Quote

That was another question I had. Where is a good website to get it. I’d like to stay away from amazon. Too many stories of people getting counterfeit products.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/Screenshot_20220526-140120_Chrome_jpg-2397809.JPG
View Quote

Is mscdirect a legit website? They have it for 128.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Legit, but crap customer service if you have an issue.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Anywhere else? Or just roll the dice on amazon? I don’t know enough to differentiate between a legit one and a counterfeit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Anywhere else? Or just roll the dice on amazon? I don’t know enough to differentiate between a legit one and a counterfeit.
View Quote

I'd keep an eye out for a lower price on Amazon or just buy them if you are okay with price.

You can return them super easy if you get a fake pair.

Nice write up on how to tell.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Amazon warehouse had one for 99. Should I just opt for the 127? If the packaging is a little mess up, I don’t care as long as it works.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Amazon warehouse had one for 99. Should I just opt for the 127? If the packaging is a little mess up, I don’t care as long as it works.
View Quote

Is it returnable?

If so go warehouse. If not go regular.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is it returnable?

If so go warehouse. If not go regular.
View Quote

It is returnable. I’ll post some pics when I get it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Mitutoyo are the gold standard but the iGaging calipers for half the price get good reviews on YouTube.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#13]
It came in this morning, this is what I got. It didn’t come sealed and battery was installed and stickers removed so someone opened it but from what I’ve seen online, it seems legit. Let me know if I need to show more pics.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks good to me. Pull the battery out and see if it says SR44 or LR44.

Other than that check which isn't definite I'd say you have a legit one looking at it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Glad you got something legit looking with warehouse deal tools. I have gotten Chinese shit in place of the item I ordered 3 or times.

Good luck on other items so far.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Looks good to me. Pull the battery out and see if it says SR44 or LR44.

Other than that check which isn't definite I'd say you have a legit one looking at it.
View Quote

Its sr44. On the drive home for lunch, I kept thinking about it being used that I could of gotten a new one for 25 bucks more. Should I keep it or return it and get a new one?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Its sr44. On the drive home for lunch, I kept thinking about it being used that I could of gotten a new one for 25 bucks more. Should I keep it or return it and get a new one?
View Quote

Can you tell that it's used? If not, I'd keep it.

But that's just me. Definitely sounds like you have a legit one though!
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Can you tell that it's used? If not, I'd keep it.

But that's just me. Definitely sounds like you have a legit one though!
View Quote

Tools, I’m not really picky. I just say its used cause it didn’t come the way they come sealed in plastic with covers over the lcd and the battery was installed. Everything that I’ve seen is that its legit, I’m just going to keep it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And usually more expensive
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have worked for MSC for 22 years in the metalworking tech dept.
What have you had an issue with?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I just use the ones from Harbor Freight for ~$20.

Just as accurate, tested against my micrometer standards, and you can drop them just as easily as an expensive one.

Easier to throw in the trash if its broken tho.

I have several expensive calipers that are broken, that I just cannot throw out, 'cause they cost $$$.

IMHO YMMV
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just use the ones from Harbor Freight for ~$20.

Just as accurate, tested against my micrometer standards, and you can drop them just as easily as an expensive one.

Easier to throw in the trash if its broken tho.

I have several expensive calipers that are broken, that I just cannot throw out, 'cause they cost $$$.

IMHO YMMV
View Quote

I guess it depends what you’re doing. I need to measure shims for a transmission and need something dependable. I tried using one of the cheapies but everything I moved it back and forth, the measurement would be off. Did I get a bad one. Maybe so, but I wanted one I could use where I didn’t have to second guess myself. I also don’t use it enough to justify a 500 dollar one.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I guess it depends what you’re doing. I need to measure shims for a transmission and need something dependable. I tried using one of the cheapies but everything I moved it back and forth, the measurement would be off. Did I get a bad one. Maybe so, but I wanted one I could use where I didn’t have to second guess myself. I also don’t use it enough to justify a 500 dollar one.
View Quote

If you need to work in 10th's, then a caliper is the wrong tool. Use a micrometer. I've found that the Harbor Freight calipers are more accurate than my machining.
~+/- 0.001" seems to be good enough for all the simple tasks I wind up doing.

Anything tighter than that, needs better mill, lathe, ideas and eyes. I'm old, and going blind.

Link Posted: 5/29/2022 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Serial number match the paperwork on the certificate of inspection? Probably legit, but those are the most copied digital calipers for a reason. I would never buy one from a discount tool shop. Good measurement tools need to be a little sacred.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Serial number match the paperwork on the certificate of inspection? Probably legit, but those are the most copied digital calipers for a reason. I would never buy one from a discount tool shop. Good measurement tools need to be a little sacred.
View Quote

Serial matches the certificate.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 1:29:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I guess it depends what you're doing. I need to measure shims for a transmission and need something dependable. I tried using one of the cheapies but everything I moved it back and forth, the measurement would be off. Did I get a bad one. Maybe so, but I wanted one I could use where I didn't have to second guess myself. I also don't use it enough to justify a 500 dollar one.
View Quote
Use a mic, its the better tool for the job.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top