Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2021 10:29:46 PM EDT

I'm interested in hearing from people in, or with connections to, the industry. I'm not interested in conspiracy theories and I'm not attempting to create one. I'm asking a sincere question since this is beginning to seem a little odd to me. With all the nonsense going on, I think it's a legitimate question to ask.

Very simply, is the market getting the typical volume of product or has the volume decreased? Are distributors and such getting access to numbers they're accustomed to?

Again, I'm not interested in speculation about DEMAND. Everyone is naturally assuming that demand is the culprit and it may very well be. However, I'm interested in SUPPLY and if it's consistent with previous years.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Who do you work for?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#4]
It's me! All me!

I am the ultimate neck beard!

I'm in yer base stealin' yer pews!

All your pews are belong to us!

(It's market driven, just like the previous ammo panics)
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Pepper yourself, OP.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's me! All me!

I am the ultimate neck beard!

I'm in yer base stealin' yer pews!

All your pews are belong to us!

(It's market driven, just like the previous ammo panics)
View Quote

One of the best posts I've read in a while .
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pepper yourself, OP.
View Quote

Lol, I know it. But the smug assholes who think they have all the answers don't trouble me one iota.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Its market here. My place sold out 4 pallets of ammo in 2 days.

It happens with every shipment.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#10]
For ever American to have 10k rds that's three trillion rounds, or 1k per American its 300 billion.

That's a lot of ammo and only about a years worth of ammo for serious(10k) and hobby (1k) shooters.

And then we have the neckbeards who are stuck home scalping and reselling ammo.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Its market here. My place sold out 4 pallets of ammo in 2 days.

It happens with every shipment.
View Quote

Thank you. That's what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm interested in hearing from people in, or with connections to, the industry. I'm not interested in conspiracy theories and I'm not attempting to create one. I'm asking a sincere question since this is beginning to seem a little odd to me. With all the nonsense going on, I think it's a legitimate question to ask.

Very simply, is the market getting the typical volume of product or has the volume decreased? Are distributors and such getting access to numbers they're accustomed to?

Again, I'm not interested in speculation about DEMAND. Everyone is naturally assuming that demand is the culprit and it may very well be. However, I'm interested in SUPPLY and if it's consistent with previous years.

View Quote

Why do you think it's a legitimate question? What info do you have to lead you to believe it's anything other than normal supply demand situation? Why do you feel the need to ask this question even though it's been asked and discussed numerous times and even the manufacturers have directly addressed it with videos and statements.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lol, I know it. But the smug assholes who think they have all the answers don't trouble me one iota.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pepper yourself, OP.

A nineteener from New Jersey calling everyone smug assholes?

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Remember how there wasn't any TP on the shelves a few months ago because everyone was buying way more than they needed?

That's happening with ammo right now times ten.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Remember how there wasn't any TP on the shelves a few months ago because everyone was buying way more than they needed?

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:47:16 PM EDT
[#16]
How's this - there isn't enough of it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#17]
The CEO of Speer/CCI released a video today explaining that they produced more hunting ammo in 2020 than they have in the previous 99 years of production.

So yes, demand is up.

ETA:

Jason Vanderbrink, President of Federal, CCI, Speer and Remington Addresses Your Questions
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#19]
lol, all the new hunters.  What a troll.  I love it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The CEO of Speer/CCI released a video today explaining that they produced more hunting ammo in 2020 than they have in the previous 99 years of production.

So yes, demand is up.

ETA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5zNNk130V0
View Quote

Thanks for posting that video. So, apparently, supply may have actually increased overall in the industry. It's just hard to believe that people are gobbling up all this ammo at these crazy prices.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Soft estimate of roughly 90million gun owners in the US. If they all buy just one case of ammo that's ninety billion rounds.
Since it's actually 50 to 100 times more than that, it was always inevitable that production capacity would be overwhelmed.

Conspiracy theories about secret warehouses and government manipulation are nonsense. Not that the government wouldn't, and still might at some point.
People who fall for that bull shit just can't wrap their heads around how big the ammo market actually is.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#22]
You don’t need that much ammo when you only have 10 round magazine. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's the deal... in times of war, and I don't mean just the US, nations burn through their ammo stockpiles and then the action slows down to the pace that their ammunition production can support.

(Made up numbers)
- Suppose that the consumers normally shoots 500 million rounds a year.
- And suppose those consumers have an average of 1,000 million rounds in their inventory.
- And suppose that the supply pipeline has 1,000 million rounds of ammo
- And suppose that normal production meets the demand of 500 million rounds a year but the factories can double production quickly if necessary.

And then a crisis hits where the consumers wants to quadruple their ammo stockpile. In this case it is not that everyone wants 4 times as much ammo, but that more and more people are wanting to join the group of ammo consumers.
- Shooting largely grinds to a halt as ammo has become scarce.
- The existing stockpiles get bought up quickly leaving a 2,000 million (Two billion) deficit.
- Then running at full capacity the manufacturers will take two full years to make up the shortfall plus however much ammo is still being used.

We've seen this before in the civilian market and we've seen this before with armies.

Now, the ammo manufacturers could build more assembly lines, but that takes time and costs lots of money. And when they suspect that things will either go back to normal soon, or their product will be banned, there isn't much point.

And that explains that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Approx 40,000,000 NICS checks in 2020. Of those, 40% are first timers. That’s 16,000,000 new gun owners. Let’s assume they each buy 2 boxes of ammo. That’s 1.6 billion rounds of ammo if I’m not mistaken. (Which I could be because I never did well in math.)

If I’m not mistaken and that number is accurate, let’s now take into consideration the other 24,000,000 gun buyers that started shitting themselves when they couldn’t get toilet paper.

These percentages and the concept of people shitting themselves are pretty accurate by my experience working a gun counter.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#25]
In for supply & demand explanations
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:24:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

When faced with the prospect of having to wait in lines for hours and deal with a bunch of extra bullshit to buy TP, then no, people were buying the amount of TP they should have had all along.

When faced with all of this leftist bullshit - people are now buying the ammo they should have accumulated over years (like many of us with eyes and functioning brains did)

The crush now is the result of people who had 5 rolls of TP, 23 rounds of 9mm, and 187 rounds of 5.56 in their home.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

You started a conversation asking for answers. Now anyone that answers is a smug asshole? How old are you?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:29:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Greetings fellow enthusiast
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting that video. So, apparently, supply may have actually increased overall in the industry. It's just hard to believe that people are gobbling up all this ammo at these crazy prices.
View Quote

Dude, have seen what happened with the toilet paper and paper towel supply over the last year?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:32:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:33:02 PM EDT
[#32]
100% market driven

What is driving the market is where the real discussion is.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So yes, demand is up.

ETA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5zNNk130V0

Not to be a smug asshole here, but if you don’t believe it, you’re in denial. Or you’re an idiot.

ETA-Go get a weekend job at a gun counter. All of the facts will become very clear to you VERY quickly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Supply can't keep up with demand.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#35]
All of the big war machine equipment is 50+ years old, and current executives can't figure out how to expand output / modernize for stockpiling.

Demand>Supply - like everyone else said.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:01:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
100% market driven

View Quote
Very much this
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:22:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

"There's a sucker born every minute."
P.T. Barnum
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:31:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
100% market driven

View Quote

You don't think Covid lockdowns affected raw materials production?

I honestly don't know but it's hard to imagine the industry wasn't impacted.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
100% market driven

Meh. It was definitely impacted, but not in any way to effect what we're seeing.

New gun owners + Dem elect panic (justifiably so) + BLM/Anitfa riots + Production staying consistent (understandably from a business perspective) + Covid supply fears and realities...

Perfect storm.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:37:03 AM EDT
[#40]
My friend runs a medium sized ammunition company.

He says it's completely market driven. Demand is insane, even for components he needs. It won't get any better for awhile.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
100% market driven

Of course it did a little.  But if it was the driving factor it wouldn't just be ammo that had huge supply problems.  

Are lead fishing weights out of stock?
Are brass door handles out of stock?
Are copper mugs out of stock?

No.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top