Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2021 7:51:08 PM EDT
A rabble is near your property so you decide to sit on the porch with rifle of choice.  If at some point the judicial system get involved would having a bayonet installed on said rifle hurt your case with jurors?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
If you end up in court its probably because you slayed the fuck out of the rabble because your life was in danger.  Once you reach that point the jury is the least of your immediate problems.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A rabble is near your property so you decide to sit on the porch with rifle of choice.  If at some point the judicial system get involved would having a bayonet installed on said rifle hurt your case with jurors?
View Quote

Would have been smarter to have a couple of really aggressive dogs.

Or a moat.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Wise?  Probably not.

Awesome?  Definitely!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]
If I am using a rifle for self defense and a bayonet is needed, I have already messed up very badly.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have video probably better to have them running to attack you and falling onto your bayonet than you giving them a face of buckshot at 21 feet, from a strictly propaganda rational.

If you just shoot them they will have an easier time flipping the script paint you as the aggressor than them running up to beat you and getting themselves impelled on your defensive tool as you were afraid for your life.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I am using a rifle for self defense and a bayonet is needed, I have already messed up very badly.
View Quote

This.

The realistic situation where you’d actually need a bayonet are so small next to the very real possibility of negative optics I’d say no way.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm inclined to think the rabble may be more afraid of pointy stabby things than guns. They don't believe you will actually shoot them. My 870 has a bayo lug on the barrel for that reason.
But WTF who knows.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep the rifle pointed down unless somebody charges at you, and you'll be fine. Start pointing it at individuals and you could get in some shit, bayonet or not.

As far as the likelihood of the bayonet being useful, I think it's less about actually using it and more about the potential dissuading effect it has on people who simply don't think they will be shot. Remember how people rushed at Rittenhouse, despite obviously seeing he had a rifle in his hands? Even after he'd already shot one such rushing moron?

There is a line of thinking that says a bayonet engages a more basic, primitive understanding: pointy thing = dangerous, do not run at pointy thing. I don't know whether that's real or kinda like the old "rack the shotgun to scare them off" yarns, but it seems plausible at least.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Only if you saw their head off with it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Bayonet will certainly keep a guy from grabbing your barrel.  The skateboard dude grabbed Rittenhouse’s barrel and obviously regretted that decision for about 5 seconds.  Grabbing a handful of 7” of serrated knife might have discouraged that situation.

That’s just my opinion of course.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Better to go inside and affix lead.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#12]
FIX BAYONETS!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#13]
For some stupid reason people are more afraid of being cut than they are shot. I think it's situation dependent, I keep one nearby.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there any other way to make the grass grow?....I think not.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#16]
My drill Sargent in basic told us if it gets stuck in you opponent,
Just shoot it out,
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I really like the idea of attaching a bayonet to a Mossberg 590 shotgun.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I was taught that it’s mandatory to yell “Kill!” as loudly and aggressively as you can while bayoneting an enemy. That may cause legal complications in stateside bayonet applications.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#19]
It seems a lot of people now a days dont believe youll shoot. Or they think its like tv where they walk in the hospital and out a few hours later. A bayonet would definitely keep em back.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was taught that it’s mandatory to yell “Kill!” as loudly and aggressively as you can while bayoneting an enemy. That may cause legal complications in stateside bayonet applications.
View Quote

Would be pretty sweet though to get a confirmed CONUS commie bayonet kill
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For some stupid reason people are more afraid of being cut than they are shot. I think it's situation dependent, I keep one nearby.
View Quote

Hardly anyone has ever been shot, but nearly everyone has been cut in their lives. The fear is more intrinsic for most.

Sort of like how you can drink too much of one type of booze, and always avoid it, despite the fact any other booze can give really you the same (or worse) effect.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I've read in Soldier Fortune Magazine years ago that cold steel is much more intimidating to people, then hot lead.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Probably not wise but it does get peoples attention.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#24]
How long is the blade... single or double edged... ? Could be more illegal than the gun.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I really like the idea of attaching a bayonet to a Mossberg 590 shotgun.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Generally people think that gun guys are a little odd, a bayonet will be seen as crazy aggressive, or aggressive and crazy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Could an affixed bayonet also aid with weapon retention and keeping the mob’s hands another 6” or so away from your body?

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#28]
With the price and availability of ammo, it makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#29]
BLM types are more afraid of flamethrowers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Fuck it. I have problems getting the grass to grow at my house.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm inclined to think the rabble may be more afraid of pointy stabby things than guns. They don't believe you will actually shoot them. My 870 has a bayo lug on the barrel for that reason.
But WTF who knows.
View Quote

This is my thought. In the event of needing to display a rifle to dissuade a rabble, I might as well stick a pointy thing on it. It's not about bayonet fighting, its about keeping it from being a fight at all.

I have bayonets for almost every rifle that I have that will take one.

ETA:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#32]
You'll get railroaded harder than you can imagine because of the optics

The public hates knives, they'll go apoplectic over seeing one on the end of a assault weapon pointed at a crowd of BLM

The only reasons the McCloskys haven't been completely buried are 1.) the dude is fucking richie rich 2.) is a crazy good lawyer 3.) politically connected

Mr. Joe General Discussion Forum who isn't any of these things with a fucking bayo on his rifle outside against a crowd? Fucking rocked by the cops and judicial system.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Or a moat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or a moat.
Gotta have gators in that damn too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This is my thought. In the event of needing to display a rifle to dissuade a rabble, I might as well stick a pointy thing on it. It's not about bayonet fighting, its about keeping it from being a fight at all.

I have bayonets for almost every rifle that I have that will take one.

ETA:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74363/PXL_20201211_045740053_jpg-1796997.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:37:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:41:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Or a moat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or a moat.

I would agree with the dogs first and bayonet on Rifle a reasonable backup ...Because at the time this is happening the law is the least of your worries
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:49:44 PM EDT
[#37]
I keep a bayonet fixed on my home defense rifle. I would not sit out on the porch with it though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:50:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are numerous reasons I might want to be able to hurt an intruder without shooting him.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#39]
For the life of me I still cannot figure out why they went outside clothed and unlubed while armed.

I mean, nothing says don't fuck with us like being naked, lubed and armed as opposed to dressed like an armed late 80's early 90's sitcom couple.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Could an affixed bayonet also aid with weapon retention and keeping the mob’s hands another 6” or so away from your body?

View Quote

Damn straight.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:03:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Some people find the question, uh, silly. Of course you do.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:05:16 AM EDT
[#42]
I argue the opposite.
If i was forced to fix bayonet then i am in fear of my life
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:12:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Does anyone make a holster for a G19 with bayonet attached to the rail?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:21:03 AM EDT
[#44]
They should have sat on their porch with the rifle slung and let the idiots walk past their house.  I understand the idiots were trespassing but they weren’t coming directly towards the house.

I think a bayonet would be useful, especially if you are in a group.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:46:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
FIX BAYONETS!
View Quote

Why are so many people obsessed with repairing bayonets?  I mean, really...how many broken bayonets can there actually be?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:54:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Why are so many people obsessed with repairing bayonets?  I mean, really...how many broken bayonets can there actually be?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FIX BAYONETS!

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:55:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Don't know. It's worth pondering that "bayonet lug" was a defining feature of an assault weapon in some ways/places.  It's more non-verbal communication.  Whether is says serious or crazy, not sure.  My thoughts would be if the mob is being "shoved" forward (agitators and leaders much more safely to the rear), that the guys in front are going to be a lot more worried about it than the folks in the back.  They might be convinced you won't shoot.  They may not be convinced that they wouldn't be stabbed, even by accident.  I don't recall any incidents where an onlooker or even participants got into shootings with a street demonstration passing along the way.  Not that there weren't fights..  I don't think of Rittenhouse or the shooting in Portland(?) as fitting this scenario.  McCluskey and some incidents around here were the mob of mostly peaceful protesters marching by.  Not rushing onto someone's yard or rushing the house.  There's some question in my mind that sitting on the porch with a firearm of some sort in your lap is a bit risky.  Depends on the circumstances and the sanity level of the passersby.  If not out there, you aren't offering an opportunity to push the envelope on you.  Most of the mobs weren't in neighborhoods, a few around here were in non business areas and there were some problems with folks pulling a firearm from their parked vehicle as the mob, uh, peaceful protests went by and things went bad for them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:56:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Against an angry mob of hundreds of people? If it comes down to you having to use it, you're at the point where it's going to end up being used on you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#49]
I think a bayonet communicates across language barriers.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:02:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I think a bayonet communicates across language barriers.  
View Quote

International code for "Fuck off."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top