Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2022 1:39:34 PM EDT
Smoking cigars in God's eyes

I was wondering about this, so I looked and found this posting.

Any counterpoint arguments would be welcomed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Not in moderation.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope not.  I’m hoping to be in His arm’s one day and I enjoy the occasional stick.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#6]
do you really want to know? i saw a good sermon on smoking. i can forward it to you if serious.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 1:09:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Does god know the difference between smoking and being near campfires?
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 2:13:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Any god that tells you that you can't relax and enjoy yourself, is not a god I would trust.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Smoking cigars in God's eyes

I was wondering about this, so I looked and found this posting.

Any counterpoint arguments would be welcomed.
View Quote

It’s not a direct 1:1 relationship between smoking a cigar and dying of lung cancer.  Doing self-harm would be a sin.  Seeking pleasures to an unhealthy level (idolatry) would also be a sin.

So it isn’t something that in and of itself is sinful, but could be depending on how far you pursue it and prioritize it in your life.

People will tell you that meat fat is unhealthy due to the saturated fat content, yet it was highly prized in scripture. God knew the nutritional profile of meat when He inspired scripture. Additionally, fragrant incense and smoke had a place in ceremonial worship.

So my take is that there is richness and there are pleasures which are blessings to be enjoyed (with appropriate thanks being given to God) so long as we aren’t wandering into sin territory by being overly preoccupied or excessively consuming them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Today's discussion: Why we hate puritans.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Well the only knock I can see is if you smoke post-embargo Cubans as the Cuban government are Godless commies and you should not support them.

I generally smoke Dominican cigars, so God and I are amigos.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Like most things. In moderation it is fine.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well the only knock I can see is if you smoke post-embargo Cubans as the Cuban government are Godless commies and you should not support them.

I generally smoke Dominican cigars, so God and I are amigos.
View Quote
I smoked Cubans while drinking a beer with a side of expresso.........in Haifa Israel.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Shut it down, the internet has been won.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#15]
If God did not want us to smoke cigars, He wouldn't have supplied our world with tobacco plants.

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#16]
So Marijo and poppy products all are acceptable? Just sayin.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Intended use and moderation... yes.

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#18]
My God wants me to be happy
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#19]
i do send it to me
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#20]
If it is, I’m going to Hell… I just ordered another 50 sticks. Cigarpage.com sent me a $50 off a $199.99 order.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I was raised to believe our body is the temple of God. We should take care of it and not defile it with unhealthy food, drink and smokes. Of course I did it all the wrong way but I don't do any of it now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
do you really want to know? i saw a good sermon on smoking. i can forward it to you if serious.
View Quote

@AK47_COMMBLOC:

I'm interested, could you forward it to me please
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
no more than eating a donut.

how many donuts have you eaten in your life OP?

How many cigars?

time to even the score.
View Quote
I think I'm well ahead of the doughnuts at this point, lol.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sure, but I've come to terms with it's not in the Bible. But I know we can't let smoking rule us. So we can't let it control our bodies or minds.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was raised to believe our body is the temple of God. We should take care of it and not defile it with unhealthy food, drink and smokes. Of course I did it all the wrong way but I don't do any of it now.
View Quote

Cigars have their health benefits. You can't clump them in the generalized "smokes" category since they're very different than cigarettes.

Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Charles Spurgeon, by his own account was fond of smoking cigars - in moderation.

Cigar smoking - not in moderation - can contribute to mouth and throat cancer for sure, lung cancer possibly.

That said, anything to excess can be bad for you whether it be eating, drinking, smoking or anything else.  Certainly as mentioned above, an excess of sugar can lead to a multitude of health problems.

I smoked 1-2 cigars a day 25-30 years ago.  Plagued with chronic sore throats I stopped.  Seven years ago I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer, unrelated to whether I smoked cigars.

Like many things it can harm you - in excess.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Charles Spurgeon, by his own account was fond of smoking cigars - in moderation.

Cigar smoking - not in moderation - can contribute to mouth and throat cancer for sure, lung cancer possibly.

That said, anything to excess can be bad for you whether it be eating, drinking, smoking or anything else.  Certainly as mentioned above, an excess of sugar can lead to a multitude of health problems.

I smoked 1-2 cigars a day 25-30 years ago.  Plagued with chronic sore throats I stopped.  Seven years ago I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer, unrelated to whether I smoked cigars.  

Like many things it can harm you - in excess.
View Quote
So did you quit that many years ago or just slow down? I smoke 2 to 3 a day, some days none. Just depends on the duties of the day. I usually only smoke in my truck with the windows down or if driving with my window cracked open. I've been smoking cigars on the semi reg for about 16 years. No sore throats from it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Nope and neither is the rum or whiskey I have with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top