Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/26/2018 9:52:02 PM EDT
You usually see in gang fight movies, someone always has a length of chain as a weapon. A melee weapon, not a "Leia chokes the shit out of jabba" weapon.

Is it really useful? Is it just a harder piece of rope, maybe a crack the whip effect with the end of the chain? Maybe a head basher, but body blows might not hurt any more than a rope maybe, especially if you are wearing a leather jacket or something padded, like a winter coat?

No, I'm not going to volunteer as a test subject :D
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the size but a 1" link chain will break bones if swung hard enough, especially if the victim reflexively uses an arm to block it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Wrap it around your fist and punch someone with it and its pretty fearsome.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The physics behind a chain weapon are in its favor... hence why flails are banned from some (all?) practical fighting groups.

Unlike a flail, nothing is stopping that chain from whipping back on the user.

So, yes, physics says it's a decent weapon.  It also says you can fuck yourself up.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have a heavy object at the end of it (like a padlock) then the flexible chain wraps around the body to deliver blows even when swinging the heavy object misses "long".  You see this a lot in Kusarigama-jutsu, where the practitioner is targeting the spine.

A chain alone is not much of a weapon unless the individual links are very heavy.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd rather have a Louisville Slugger. Far easier to manage during a beat down.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#6]
"I have a 1-1/2" Guardrail nut looped on a piece of 550 cord. Not whiz bang tactical, but one smack to the grape and its coloring books for Christmas. "
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Ever been hit by one?

It sucks, even a relatively thin one coated in plastic that’s used to secure a bicycle to an object. My back and ribs were bruised for what seemed like forever.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#8]
You can't push a chain.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"I have a 1-1/2" Guardrail nut looped on a piece of 550 cord. Not whiz bang tactical, but one smack to the grape and its coloring books for Christmas. "
View Quote
Came here to mention kusarigama weapons...but that is funny as hell!
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I’d rather have an 18” piece of 500mcm.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#12]
These can be handy. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Way better than a noodle.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Ya, chain is gonna get my attention pdq.  Make a 1d10 saving throw, 8+ to take 0 damage.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Depends on the size but a 1" link chain will break bones if swung hard enough, especially if the victim reflexively uses an arm to block it.
View Quote
Ya, and it's like 10#/ft.  Who the hell is swinging that?
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
came for this quote
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drunk rednecks having a disagreement over stolen goods.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I’d rather have an 18” piece of 500mcm.
View Quote
The train-rated stuff would be awesome, especially if you soldered the handle end.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I personally wouldn't choose a chain. I once tried to ward off an aggressive gernan shepard using my dog's leash. It takes a long deliberate windup to strike something with it, giving your intended target more time to counter.
Or if it's moving raipidly, like an irate german shepard, it won't be where you expected it to be.

Give me a large stick or a baseball bat.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The physics behind a chain weapon are in its favor... hence why flails are banned from some (all?) practical fighting groups.

Unlike a flail, nothing is stopping that chain from whipping back on the user.

So, yes, physics says it's a decent weapon.  It also says you can fuck yourself up.
View Quote
Flexible weapons will do that.  I attend a ton of tournements with my kids, can't tell you how many self inflicted nunchuk wounds I've seen.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I imagine it would suck to get hit with. I also imagine it would come back and fuck you up if you missed with it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Drunk rednecks having a disagreement over the last busch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drunk rednecks having a disagreement over the last busch.
Fixt.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:27:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ever been hit by one?

It sucks, even a relatively thin one coated in plastic that’s used to secure a bicycle to an object. My back and ribs were bruised for what seemed like forever.
View Quote
It makes a decent pain compliance weapon without permanent damage, unless you want it to.
I have been hit, and have used it as a weapon in my mis-spent youth.

I know someone who found a decent length of chain on the road, run over and dented a bit. He did the decent thing and picked it up before anyone hit it and damaged their car. It may still be lying in his car, out of forgetfulness.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I think the chain would be effective if it was part of a small one-handed medieval flail.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I have one of those.  It'll take a fit person to get that thing swinging around in a rapid fashion.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:05:24 AM EDT
[#27]
I remember one night in high school on a Friday night there were about 10 of us that went cruising around in a friends panel van and we were cruising the strip where everybody would hang out on a Friday night. We also had 4 more friends loosly crusing with us in an older mustang. Some dude in a hot camaro started getting all cocky and in the face of our panel van driver for some reason and he could only see the driver and passenger so I guess he thought it was a 3 on 2 deal, and then all of a sudden our 4 friends in the Mustang pulled up and jumped out ready to fight (there was still 10 more of us in the van the guy didn't see). Dude immediately runs to his car and takes off down a large multi-lane throughway and of course we went after him.  But we had two vehicles and the mustang ran him downm and got in front and we came up from behind and trapped him in the middle of the road.  When the rest of us jumped out of the van (it was a construction van) several of us were armed with chains (1" or so) and we beat the living fuck out of his camaro. scared the living hell out of those guys that were in that car but we didn't push it any further than that and went back to where we started.

so yeah, chains are very effective tools
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You usually see in gang fight movies, someone always has a length of chain as a weapon. A melee weapon, not a "Leia chokes the shit out of jabba" weapon.

Is it really useful? Is it just a harder piece of rope, maybe a crack the whip effect with the end of the chain? Maybe a head basher, but body blows might not hurt any more than a rope maybe, especially if you are wearing a leather jacket or something padded, like a winter coat?

View Quote
Years ago a friend and I took a wrong turn down a road and a bunch of crackheads attacked our car, one was beating on it with a chain and put some pretty mean dents in it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:08:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Kusarigama / kusarifundo does work better with some sort a small amount of weight on the ends.

I don't know these folks so buyer beware....
Masaki Ryu Kusarijutsu ???????
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Its better than a cell phone.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I remember one night in high school on a Friday night there were about 10 of us that went cruising around in a friends panel van and we were cruising the strip where everybody would hang out on a Friday night. We also had 4 more friends loosly crusing with us in an older mustang. Some dude in a hot camaro started getting all cocky and in the face of our panel van driver for some reason and he could only see the driver and passenger so I guess he thought it was a 3 on 2 deal, and then all of a sudden our 4 friends in the Mustang pulled up and jumped out ready to fight (there was still 10 more of us in the van the guy didn't see). Dude immediately runs to his car and takes off down a large multi-lane throughway and of course we went after him.  But we had two vehicles and the mustang ran him downm and got in front and we came up from behind and trapped him in the middle of the road.  When the rest of us jumped out of the van (it was a construction van) several of us were armed with chains (1" or so) and we beat the living fuck out of his camaro. scared the living hell out of those guys that were in that car but we didn't push it any further than that and went back to where we started.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Years ago a friend and I took a wrong turn down a road and a bunch of crackheads attacked our car, one was beating on it with a chain and put some pretty mean dents in it.
Possibly related?
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:18:32 AM EDT
[#32]
You guys are thinking chain links, I came in thinking this:

Attachment Attached File

Not sure which would be more fucking brutal
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:19:19 AM EDT
[#33]
As a bored farm kid , I used to dig up all kinds of shit to play with out of our scrap and garbage.

I am still amazed how bad I could fuck shit up with a 3' or so piece of log chain .

It would destroy shit like old TVs and appliances  that bats and old golf clubs would bounce off of .
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:35:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You guys are thinking chain links, I came in thinking this:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123106/motorcycle_chain-620574.JPG

Not sure which would be more fucking brutal
View Quote
A heavy dog lead clipped back to itself works. A log chain can kill someone.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:40:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Nobody fucks with Sos the Rope.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:46:15 AM EDT
[#36]
I"d rather carry this

Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:53:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Would work well till you ran into that one person who knows to step inside and get close before you wind up to swing. So better have a plan B on tap.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 2:10:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Just like "Anything can be a dildo if you're brave enough."

Anything can be a weapon if you are desperate enough. A skilled workman can, and will, use the tools at hand to get the job done.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 2:16:46 AM EDT
[#39]
I worked with an older guy that had nasty scars all the way around his neck.  He used to have a wrecker/repo business, and he was hooking up a guy's (the bank's) truck, in the middle of the night.  The guy ran up, grabbed a chainsaw chain out of the bed, and wrapped it around his neck.  He beat the guy down with a J hook.  He said his shirt pocket kept filling with blood while he waited for the amberlamps.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 2:38:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Is that what you learned at the antifa training camp?
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 6:28:19 AM EDT
[#41]
You can wrap your belt around your fist and start dropping bombs on mofos too.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 6:30:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Like any object, it’s only good if you are proficient with it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Yes, recall that a chain whip is a Chinese weapon.
With practice a piece of chain could be effective.
With no practice, I predict you'll catch one of your own links in the forehead.

ETA Chinese chain whip .
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:19:44 AM EDT
[#44]
When I was young I'd pull out my nunchucks to practice when I got drunk. Guess who got beat up? I figure I've f------ up if I'm using anything other than a gun or pepper spray to defend myself.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:22:11 AM EDT
[#45]
No.  When I was a kid I got hit with one and it hurt like fuck but the second time the other guy swung it, I stepped into it, grabbed it when it wrapped around my body, and beat the shit out of him.

ETA:  I'm talking a simple dog chain wielded by someone untrained.  Manriki gusari wielded by someone who knows what they're doing is a whole other thing!

This one would be pretty effective in anyone's hands, though!
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:23:27 AM EDT
[#46]
I prefer spiky things and a handle

Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:28:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Great Piers Anthony trilogy
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:38:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Stretch Armstrong
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
OMG I really thought i was the only one ever to read that....watch out for the moths
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top