BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Used to have a 2007 GSXR600 and a 2006 Kawasaki 636. In my mid to late 20s. I'm 35 now for reference. Loved them, but every day I would have to blare my horn at some asshole who would try to pull right into me. It got to the point that yes, every day I figured some dipshit was going to get me killed. I didn't ride crazy, no wheelies, no stupid ass speeds. Just too easy to die on a bike from someone else's inputs.

But I have been getting the itch again here lately, and if gas goes up to $4 a gal or so I may jump back on again.
View Quote
My weekly drive to work has gone down in cost significantly. 4 bucks a week vs 18 in gas alone.... in a 20 year old carbureted Hog
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you called it a crotch rocket, it probably isn't a good idea.
View Quote

I keep seeing this and think it's silly. I always referred to them as "crotchbrockets" before I bought one and started using "sport bike". Just because someone calls it the former doesn't mean they're going to have a heavy throttle hand in the wrong place. I sure didn't.  It's just a friggin slang phrase, not necessarly a creed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Rider training class within last two years? Advanced course?

How many thousands of miles on a cruiser?

The obvious beauty of a sportbike is the performance. Superb power, braking and handling. You can get out of trouble easily.

Remember:  You can NEVER ride safely. Only safer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Look into a Ducati Multistrada 1260S.  I have one, it's fantastic. It's a touring bike but you can ride it almost like a sport bike if you desire.
View Quote

Multis are awesome. A [very rich] friend had tricked-out (carbon fiber everywhere, performance exhausr, etc) Ducatis and then stopped riding entirely, but took years to sell them.  So he have me come to the shop and zi'd take out the Street Fighter, Diavel, and Multistrada. The performance bikes were fun, but I always came back to the multi as the one that I rode most. It was awesome fast, but so much more comfortable and versatile. When I went to an ADV bike... it was between the Beemer 1200GS, Multistrada, and my Tiger. I would have been very happy with any one of them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Do it. Most fun you can have with your pants on
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Do it, I'm in my 40's and still ride.

I've had multiple gsxr's and ducati's - the problem won't be you, it will be the cages around you.  Keep your head on a swivel and expect them to do the dumbest shit possible and you will rarely be surprised.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#7]
They're fucking fun.

I'd never buy one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Get a dirt bike, OP.  Way more fun and safer than riding street.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I’m 50.

I love sport bikes, have a garage full.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah ive seen the videos of them run and taunting cops because they're so fast. Totally insane. I would be the opposite no doubt with all of the deaths of people I know from bikes. A guy who I know is now paralyzed from the neck down, uses a mobile chair to move around for the rest of his life. Mutual friend just died on his harley.

Lets just say id drive like a grandma if I got one.
View Quote

You will untill get pseudo comfortable on it and it will bite you. And those bike DO NOT like to be ridden slowly. 600s are not as bad, but a 1000+cc bike just screams at you to run out the tach.

Been there, done that, on a slow as hell FZ07 through a barbed wire fence that, luckily, someone else had wrecked and taken down before I got there. I used up all my luck that day and was able to ride the bike home.

Shook me up for a month after, and I wasn't even injured past a good bruise on my asscheek where I landed on my wallet. I consider myself a very conservative rider, but I have still found that bike can carry my fat ass to 115mph (yeah, told you it was slow).

The one you want does 190 and gets there in less than half the time my bike gets to 100.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#11]
So James I'll tell you this.

There is a devise that is carried on a lot of ambulances that stabilizes hips.

Its a large splint that squeezes the hips together when your bones in there are all split and crushed up. It's used so that when you're transported to the hospital, all your broken bones that are now crushed up shards dont further tear into veins and arteries as well as produce great pain.

About 99% of the time, its used on motorcycle MVAs where a rider hits or is hit from behind AND THE RIDER MAKES TRAUMATIC CONTACT IN HIS/HER GROIN WITH THE GAS TANK/HANDLE BARS AND THE IMPACT SPLITS THEIR GROIN AND SHATTERS THEIR PELVIS.

So...Now...Back to your question about "it is worth it" to electively take this risk for the sake of recreation.....

My $0.02. Do what you want. We ALWAYS need organ new donors.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#12]
How old are you? Have you ever ridden before? Do you have any self control? If you are serious go buy an old sub 600cc cruiser twin and take a riding course. Get your license and ride for a while. THEN get a small sportbike.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Just Do It

Bought my first CBR 600 in 93 when I got my license. Have had a bike ever since. I put in many miles on the road. I sold a 98 R1 with 100K miles on it.  In 2010 I went track only till I guess 2017.

I've had 2 small wrecks on the street. 1 was my fault panicking in a corner..newbie mistake and 1 where a girl bumped me from behind rolling up to a red light.

Normally people who claim I had to sell it cause I'd kill myself acknowledge they don't have the skill to ride.    

Buy it, ride some track days in C class with an instructor.. have a blast
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Not for me as I learned a few years back, but I have little self/impulse control...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I started out on a vf500 interceptor (v4 , 4 carb honda from the early 80's) SUPER maneuverable and could hang out with the 2003-6 era 600s. Seating position,  and such would class it as a sport touring bike nowadays there wasn't a class like that back in 1980's.  I learned ot ride right (took class, bought gear) then moved to my avatar bike(v2 650, adv touring), had a blast for one summer doing a western US tour. then got cut off toomany times in traffic had some lady decide she WANTED to hit me (literally chased me), so I sold it. Id look at wher you live and can ride, people are IDIOTS, you gotta drive like they are trying to kill you which gets old fast.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Fun starts at 2 minutes , turn up your speakers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WrtWGyhUvw
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#17]
My last one I got rid of because I figured just a matter of time before I earned either a huge speeding ticket or a death certificate.

Hell of a lot of fun though
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It is until it isn’t.
View Quote

I've been riding since 1969, and that is the best quote that I have seen.

Edited to add: Wear the gear, buy good gear and wear it. It makes a HUGE difference if/when you go down.
The medical professionals that treat you in the ER will thank you profusely.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Start with a Ninja 650, they are built for the streets.  If you like it and want something faster with a more aggressive seating position, try one of the supersports like a 636 or a GSXR600.  

Your safety depends on other drivers, so the more you can avoid them the better.  If you live in the middle of a city or suburb you'll have to be all the more vigilant.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do it. Most fun you can have with your pants on
View Quote

You stole that from me...

Some of the most fun I've had was on a bike.

' "I wanna go fast!" - Ricky Bobby '
-- hellishhorses

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:39:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Edited to add: Wear the gear, buy good gear and wear it. It makes a HUGE difference if/when you go down.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is until it isn't.

This. i look like an out of place beemer bro in my gear riding a 20 year old hog. but i dont care
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:17:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I think they’re incredible machines and gorgeous. I’m glad I got it out of my system.  I sold my last motorcycle (Ducati 998) a couple of years ago.  I don’t miss it at all.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:26:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:34:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Worth the risk?

That's subjective.

I will say that in theory a sport bike is safer than other bikes, but in practice that only holds true for riders who are exceptionally experienced AND disciplined.

I fell away from them due to riding a lot and wanting comfort. Sport/standard style bikes come close and give more enjoyment on the 95% of the ride where you arent kissing a mirror. I may get another, but not as my only bike. If only one, I would take an sv/fz/etc over the sport bikes from which they derived.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:38:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:47:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Cars and idiot drivers are the problem
View Quote

X1000

My former boss had a sport bike and had to lay it over when a car pulled out in front of him. The bike was totalled, he broke his leg. He never rode again after that.

My uncle had a Suzuki GS-750 back in the 80s. My grandma kept telling him he would become a paraplegic if he kept riding it. He parked it in the barn and never rode again. I sold it for a couple hundred dollars after he passed away.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:01:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I had one for years.  Doing a wheelie at 100 miles an hour is fun. Dragging your knee around the corner is fun. Hitting a groundhog at 50 or 60 mph is not fun. Having a white tail brush up against your leg at 60 is not fun.  The only time I put it down was when I was going about 5 mph and the front wheel slipped on cinders they were still on the road from the recent snow. I quit riding after a friend died. Nearly every year someone I know dies on a bike. Last year a guy on a Harley hit the mailboxes at the end of my driveway. Either an arm or a leg stayed on the post when the rest of his body went down the road. It took them a long time to scrape him up. I quit writing about 20 years ago. It's just not safe on the roads.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:11:26 AM EDT
[#28]
If I was fully into dying, absolutely!

I'm not and have been relegated to dirt bikes since birth.

I don't trust myself.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:31:14 AM EDT
[#29]
I loved and miss my last bike which was a Ducati 1199 Panigale.  Banging through the gears on the back roads was an absolute hoot, having said that I sold it after only a year because it was only really fun if I was driving fast and with the amount of wildlife and idiots on the roads I felt it was only a matter of time before my luck ran out.  I know a guy who hit a moose on his bike years ago, he survived (the moose didn't) but he has permanent damage to his arm/shoulder on one side which severely limits it's use.  If I lived close to a track where I could pay to use on occasion I would still have one, much safer to ride in a controlled environment.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:40:03 AM EDT
[#30]
I agree with most of the people here. The problem is not the motorcycle but the assholes in cars and there are a lot of assholes and a lot of cars.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:51:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I loved and miss my last bike which was a Ducati 1199 Panigale.  Banging through the gears on the back roads was an absolute hoot, having said that I sold it after only a year because it was only really fun if I was driving fast and with the amount of wildlife and idiots on the roads I felt it was only a matter of time before my luck ran out.  I know a guy who hit a moose on his bike years ago, he survived (the moose didn't) but he has permanent damage to his arm/shoulder on one side which severely limits it's use.  If I lived close to a track where I could pay to use on occasion I would still have one, much safer to ride in a controlled environment.
View Quote

NJMP, VIR, NCBike...
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:23:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:31:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've wanted to get a crotch rocket since i can remember and my family has a history of riding bikes. My uncle rode one most of his life without ever wrecking(I know, sounds unreal), but he drove like a grandma. I've held off because of the dangers, and having seen countless mutual friends and distant family die or get seriously injured; most recently a friend from college who died last year on his harley. Despite all of that.... I still want one.

For those of you who ride, is it worth the risk? Have you ever got in a bad wreck? I know the saying goes....... It's not if you'll wreck, but when.

I'm so torn on getting one.

Edit: IN B4 BONAR JOKES
View Quote

Generally speaking if you can't call a bike a bike then you should just stick to sitting at home.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:31:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Yes!  There isn't much else that will get your adrenaline pumping like a literbike. I bought a FZ1 when I turned 21.  I had 3 of them over the years until I hit 33 and sold it. No time to ride anymore.  

Never once came close to dumping it out of my own stupidity. Came close one time due to sand in the middle of a turn...but that was it.

I never rode in the city. Always ride the back roads, and you will limit your chances of stupid people (cagers) you are invisible to.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:46:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I agree with most of the people here. The problem is not the motorcycle but the assholes in cars and there are a lot of assholes and a lot of cars.
View Quote

You guys are leaving out asshole bikers.  The guys who blow past you on the highway.  A foot and half from your mirror.  They almost cause a jerk in the wheel.  

Y'all are starting to sound like bicyclists.  Whose road is it?

Big balls taking on cagers.   Any one of you fuckers kicks my truck cause reasons we can pull over right then and discuss it.  Or a group, cause errybody got balls in numbers.  Bowling for dollars.

Physics.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:53:43 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Me too...such a well behaved bike given its purpose.
" />
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:06:16 AM EDT
[#37]
life is short, make it shorter - get a street bike.

Or get a dirt bike
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:12:20 AM EDT
[#38]
This was a friend of mine. Somebody changed lanes in front of her in a car. They were never caught.

https://www.news9.com/story/5e3639682f69d76f62056c84/police-seeking-witnesses-to-motorcycle-wreck-on-ba-expressway
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:17:45 AM EDT
[#39]
I want a Honda liter bike so F'ing bad.
No one is making it out of here alive.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:55:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Yep. You'll be fine. Go find a nice lightly used hayabusa and it will all work out.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:24:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Had one. It was fun but the asshole drivers and deer popping up made it not so fun in the end.

Decided to stick to dirt bikes
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

" />
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:43:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow he dusted that cop like it was nothin, then added lightyears distance. Fuck, lol
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#44]
It’s worth it until it’s not.  I owned a hayabusa (bought it off of arfcom)

That thing was dangerous and would have eventually killed me when my luck ran out.  

I sold off all of my bikes,  but everyday I’m tempted to get another one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#45]
You have to be extremely disciplined and even then shit happens it might not even be your fault but you will eventually crash.

It’s the closest thing to a fighter jet on the ground. The acceleration, turning ect. They are a lot of fun however I won’t own a bike again.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#46]
I commute on a motorcycle and do ~10k+ a year on it.

Is worth it for me, I've just about made up for my medical bills from it

But seriously, it saves me $8+ a day that I take it instead of a car, not including the payment or insurance savings, only in gas and tolls.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This was a friend of mine. Somebody changed lanes in front of her in a car. They were never caught.

https://www.news9.com/story/5e3639682f69d76f62056c84/police-seeking-witnesses-to-motorcycle-wreck-on-ba-expressway
View Quote

Condolences on the death of your friend. I do, however, want to point out a salient fact in the referenced article:

"...who police say was not wearing a helmet..."

I know for a fact my helmet saved my life in both of my accidents.

In the first, a car stopped short and I started to skid on a wet road. I managed to get the bike to the side of the roadway, when it dropped off a 6-in ledge caused by erosion of the shoulder. My bike fell onto that corner, bottomed out on the frame, and tipped me off the bike head first into the bumper of the car it stopped suddenly. I was unconscious for 4 hours. A woman who lived about half a block from the accident site and who I met about 3 years later told me that she thought I had died at the scene of the accident.

You can read about my second crash on the third page of this thread. Suffice to say when I hit the ground from an altitude of probably 8 ft, I was probably doing 40 mph. I abraded a patch on the back of my helmet about 2 inches in diameter. The abrasion stopped just short of penetrating the inner wall of the hard shell. In that case, had I not had my Arai helmet (then one of the best on the market) on, my head would have splattered on the pavement like an over ripe melon.

My point is helmets do in fact save lives. I speak from experience that wearing one may save your life. Maybe more than once.

All the gear all the time
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#48]
You are more likely to get hit by some asshole with a cellphone in their hand than you wrecking yourself out.  

Fuck that
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I used to ride crotch rockets,  its probably been 15 years now since I've been on two wheels.
There was no one texting back then.
The road is way more dangerous now.
View Quote

This is the real issue with riding a bike on roadways now days.

Some of the very worst, bloodiest traumas that I have taken care of, were two wheelers being flat run TF over by vehicles.

Every time you stop with that left turn signal on you're a sitting duck for some asshole who's immersed in their cell phone.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Every time you stop with that left turn signal on you're a sitting duck for some asshole who's immersed in their cell phone.
View Quote

@ISED8U

Why is the left turn signal on your motorcycle more dangerous than no turn signal activated when you're going straight or a right turn signal activated when you're turning right?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top