Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2022 1:56:20 PM EDT
Anyone like this game just wondering if its worth paying for?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#1]
There was a few page thread on it any a month ago. No experience with it myself.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that the game where people were spending shitloads of money IRL on ships and what not? Like $1,000's of dollars?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not done yet.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I just go back to the ever-updating "No Man's Sky" for my "utter vastness of a universe" fix, typically once a year or so for a few weeks/months at a time.  It's always got more content by the time I get back to it, and I am not crowdfunding its development
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#5]
A decade later and it’s still in Alpha. Meanwhile, Elite Dangerous actually released and the team continues to bring out new expansions and content.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not a game yet. One of the devs (guy in charge maybe) tweeted long ago if it was a scam he would be on a huge sailing yacht in the rich part of the world with women. Last year he tweeted a pic of him doing guess what lol.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was a few page thread on it any a month ago. No experience with it myself.
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2508088_Anyone-playing-Star-Citizen.html
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I hear elite dangerous is one of the best space flight sims
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes it's still in alpha.  Yes people pledge real money to get space boats.  Yes it's more stable than it's ever been.  Yes it still has many flaws.

They sure are paying a lot of coders to perpetuate a scam.

Every release brings new core features in and the game is more than was promised when I did my first pledge on Kickstarter.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A decade later and it's still in Alpha. Meanwhile, Elite Dangerous actually released and the team continues to bring out new expansions and content.
View Quote
I am a fan of both games, I have many hours in Elite and I will likely have many more.  I like Elite, a lot, but......it's not exactly in a great place right now.  The new expansion isn't exactly well received.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone here played star citizen in VR?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a pay to win game. You'll get shit all over your first half hour to hour into the game. Rinse and repeat.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am a fan of both games, I have many hours in Elite and I will likely have many more.  I like Elite, a lot, but......it's not exactly in a great place right now.  The new expansion isn't exactly well received.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A decade later and it's still in Alpha. Meanwhile, Elite Dangerous actually released and the team continues to bring out new expansions and content.

The thing about SC is it'll have every feature available during release instead of nailing you with expansion packs.  But it does seem a bit scammy at this point.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I hear elite dangerous is one of the best space flight sims
View Quote

It’s tough

There isn’t any real purpose to the game. There isn’t any end goal but a lot of grind. Which leads it to being a game you either like or dislike.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I had Elite for C64 like 33+ years ago.  Wire frame graphics.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just go back to the ever-updating "No Man's Sky" for my "utter vastness of a universe" fix, typically once a year or so for a few weeks/months at a time.  It's always got more content by the time I get back to it, and I am not crowdfunding its development
View Quote

I can't believe how good NMS has become over time. I think the devs were being 100% honest when they said they didn't want to push it out the door when it was released but they were contractually obligated to do so. They've sure done a lot to earn good will from the player base since then.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Ehh, it’s starting to be okay, keep an eye on it and wait for it to get good.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I had Elite for C64 like 33+ years ago.  Wire frame graphics.
View Quote

I still have it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
This

Elite can be played in VR
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's a pay to win game. You'll get shit all over your first half hour to hour into the game. Rinse and repeat.
View Quote

It costs $45 to play and you won't get shit over at all unless you seek out PVP in a starter ship. All ships except a couple will be able to be earned in game (and those are just variants of earnable ships). I haven't encountered any PVP in my time playing, though I've been avoiding it because I enjoy the other parts of the game such as trading and mining. AI bounty hunting missions are fun too and those are very easy to do in starter ships with various difficulty levels depending on what ship you have. It'll be a slower start if you only have a starter ship, but I actually enjoy the progression aspect of working towards better and better ships instead of spending a lot of real-life money on an end-game ship right from the get-go. At this point in alpha, in-game money is very easy to come by so it won't be long before you can get new ships.

They also just added a bunch of FPS gameplay and looting that doesn't matter what ship you have, such as a bunch of AI assault and defend type missions, as well a new PVP focused FPS event that can get you massive amounts of in-game money.

Overall, I would say it's an enjoyable game, but the bugs really destroy enjoyability at this time. It's hard to have fun when you have to restart your game multiple times an hour due to crashes or glitches. It's getting better and better, though, and they have a big patch planned for Q2 2022 that looks like it will dramatically change various aspects of the game as well as adding new gameplay options. Their Q1 2022 patch looks like it'll add some nice features too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have been messing around with it off and on for a few years now.  I have literally never gotten into a PVP encounter, that I didn't start.

I am not saying players don't try to kill other players, I know it's absolutely intended, but "shit all over", isn't at all my experience.

Now the bugs and the game shitting all over you.....that's for a sure a thing, until your figure out how to avoid all the current ones.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This

This says no, due to the November 2021 anti cheat update which did not white list Vorpx.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I've played both NMS and Elite Dangerous extensively, and just started Star Citizen.

NMS: Really good game with a very dedicated development team who clearly care about the health of the game.  But with all procedurally generated games it feels a bit shallow.  Once you go through the main story line, which is really, really fun BTW, there is still this huge universe to explore, but it's all kinda the same.  Where it really shines is the survival aspect, which is largely complete once you finish the story, which again is really fun.    

Elite Dangerous: Very good game, especially in terms of ship combat.  But it is very grindy.  It went through a content drought prior to Odyssey, and with Odyssey they just cranked up the grind to over 9000.  It also has the same flaw of once you've upgraded the ships and gear you want, what to do?  Where it really shines is in exploration.  With a 1-1 model of the universe you can explore the edge of the galaxy, or the top, and it really gives you the feeling of being there, to the point where you can even feel a bit lonely when you are out in the black all by yourself.  Also has options for solo/group modes to avoid griefers.  

Star Citizen: Definitely not a scam.  I think the development is slow for two reasons: (1) Chris is clearly a perfectionist and an artist, and he wants his creation to be perfect.  Much as we hate EA, there is some benefit to a bunch of suits demanding a release by a deadline; (2) economies of scale.  While they have raised $500 million or some ridiculous number by now, there's a big difference between raising that money and having it up front.  While in Alpha, it is at a stage where you can play it as a game.  You can go shoot pirates, upgrade your ship, buy a bigger ship, shoot bigger pirates, etc.  Same with other gameplay loops like trade, mining, etc.  Where SC shines is in group content and the simulation aspects.  You really feel like a pilot in space.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's not done yet.
View Quote

Maybe in 30 years it will be.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I still have my base 300i. When they released the exploration and missions part of it I was flying around minding my own business trying to do the missions and figure the game out. Got followed from way point to way point a d jump point to jump point by a group of guys who attacked me constantly  until my ship was destroyed. I logged off and haven't been back.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not done yet.

The nuclear fusion of gaming.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Ymmv, but in my opinion it’s a scam.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#29]
There is a very long thread in the wargaming section. I got a starter ship for half off. I have had a decent time playing it. It's fun to multi crew ships with friends. It's a resource hog, about maxed out my 16gb of ram and my GTX1060 is working it's little butt off.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought Chris Roberts enough cocaine when I got in at the beginning.  I'll play it when they actually finish, bit I don't think they will, it's just y big scam.  

I enjoyed Elite when it first came out but the grinding is out of this world now since the Engineers came out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I keep telling people this, yet I get attacked when I point out the pay to win scheme behind it all.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I keep telling people this, yet I get attacked when I point out the pay to win scheme behind it all.
View Quote
You can buy them in game now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't think it's a scam, or at least not intended as such but may become something like it with all the mission creep.

Is it a hugely ambitious game that has seen a huge amount of bloat from added features. Yup. Do they keep adding so much stuff that it'll probably never be "released". Also yup.

They are effectively trying to make a "second life" sized game and because of this I don't think we'll see it completed anytime in the near future
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't think it's a scam, or at least not intended as such but may become something like it with all the mission creep.

Is it a hugely ambitious game that has seen a huge amount of bloat from added features. Yup. Do they keep adding so much stuff that it'll probably never be "released". Also yup.

They are effectively trying to make a "second life" sized game and because of this I don't think we'll see it completed anytime in the near future
View Quote

There is quite a lot of truth in the fact that the original plan versus the current plan are vastly different.  That said, they haven't had any "and this too" in quite a while.  They are this point are working on delivering what they have promised.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps if you explained how it meant "you win" when you have a larger ship it would make sense.

A good player in a Khartu-al is more than a match against larger ships.  Heck, in a dollar per hour standard a fully staffed Hammerhead is a worse deal than one guy in a Constellation.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#36]
This is probably a better game.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it is a released game that followed the same crowdfunding path.

Roberts should have focused on developing and releasing Squadron 42 before this ballooned into the videogame equivalent of the F-35.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Perhaps if you explained how it meant "you win" when you have a larger ship it would make sense.

A good player in a Khartu-al is more than a match against larger ships.  Heck, in a dollar per hour standard a fully staffed Hammerhead is a worse deal than one guy in a Constellation.
View Quote

That's the point of PTW. You don't have to be a "good player."
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#39]
My brother talked me into getting the base game way back at the beginning.  Sounded like a great game we would play together.  Since that time he has graduated from college, gotten married and now has 3 kids.  We are never gonna get to play it together.  If you don't want to call it a scam you should at least call it a total failure.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#40]
It's a scam. And VR is going to totally take over the "second life" metaverse type world.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
you should at least call it a total failure.
View Quote
When did that happen?

It's certainly been a long road and there is certainly more to go, but new game play loops and features are coming faster than any time in the past.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I got in on the original kickstarter along with some older gamer friends of mine.  Two of them are dead now and the others have vanished (maybe dead too).

I think Chris Robert's plan is for all the original backers to die off so we can't sue him for never finishing his damn game.   Kind of like the FDA releasing all the information on the vaccines in 75 years or so.  Anyone who cares will be long gone by then.

I've built 6 gaming PCs since the kickstarter.  Each one I say "this is going to be my Star Citizen PC, maybe it will finally run it well".
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I quit playing elite dangerous, it was a grind. And I grinded hard for awhile. I enjoy watching star citizen videos of star citizen, I hope it succeeds.

I will be playing elden ring.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Scam Citizen

The “visionary” behind it is feature creep incarnate.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I got in on the original kickstarter along with some older gamer friends of mine.  Two of them are dead now and the others have vanished (maybe dead too).

I think Chris Robert's plan is for all the original backers to die off so we can't sue him for never finishing his damn game.   Kind of like the FDA releasing all the information on the vaccines in 75 years or so.  Anyone who cares will be long gone by then.

I've built 6 gaming PCs since the kickstarter.  Each one I say "this is going to be my Star Citizen PC, maybe it will finally run it well".
View Quote

A friend of mine, who backed it, ended up passing away in early November/late October of 2016.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Must be fun making a new gaming PC every year and a half.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which ship is the PTW one?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:48:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Must be fun making a new gaming PC every year and a half.
View Quote

When not gaming, they are mining.  The rigs have paid for themselves several times over.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:49:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Which ship is the PTW one?
View Quote

I misunderstood what was being discussed. My mistake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top