Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2022 9:28:07 AM EDT
Asia... why is it always Asia?

They clone themselves, they thrash violently like a rattlesnake when handled, they can jump a foot in the air, and now they're in California.

Beyond the jumping worm's gnarly appearance (the species is also referred to as Alabama jumpers, Jersey wrigglers and crazy snake worms, but officially named the Asian jumping worm), scientists are now concerned about the "significant threat" the invasive species may have on the state.

Amynthas agrestis is native to Japan and the Korean Peninsula, but made its way to North America through landscape plants imported from those regions. They were first spotted writhing through American soil in Wisconsin in 2013 and have since been found across the East Coast, but now they've reportedly headed west.

The worm was first seen in California last July, when one was positively identified in Napa County by a California Department of Food and Agriculture entomologist. The identification of that critter was confirmed through DNA sequencing.

Scientists are worried about the jumping worm entering the Golden State for several reasons. "These earthworms are extremely active, aggressive, and have voracious appetites," a recent CDFA report warns. They're able to eat through thick layers of leaf debris, home to a vast array of smaller animals, leaving behind only nutrient-free, dry worm casings that look like taco meat. They can even rid the forest floor of birds that nest there.

As a US Forest Service blog post shared last month states, "Jumping worms can eat all of it. They are never satiated." The CDFA says this poses a huge threat to forest life and could also hurt biodiversity in nurseries, parks and residential gardens. The report warns that the jumping worms will likely be able to "establish a widespread distribution through California's forest habitat and ornamental production sites, particularly in residential and commercial environments."

“Soil is the foundation of life, and Asian jumping worms change it,” Mac Callaham, a Forest Service researcher who specializes in soils, said in the US Forest Service post. “In fact, earthworms can have such huge impacts that they’re able to actually reengineer the ecosystems around them.”

"You're left with bare soil ... you get a lot of erosion,"  Brad Herrick, an ecologist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Arboretum, told Inside Edition, "They really change the ecosystem, it's the native species that are supposed to be here that are harmed the most. They fundamentally change what the forest looks like."

More @ https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/jumping-worms-have-made-their-way-to-california-17182377.php
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Where is Earl and Valentine when you need them?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Need more birds. The bird in the video didn't seem to have much problem catching and eating it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#3]
“..leaving behind only free, dry worm casings that look like taco meat”
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Jumping worms, who would have ever guessed they would be in California?

Little wigglers.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#6]
In 1986 I lived on a dead end road going to the local sportsman's club.  There was a fishing pond and I had the market cornered.  I sold worms.  

After much success I was unable to pick up enough worms to keep my customers flush.

I ordered "Alabama Jumpers" from a magazine and sold them like crazy.  The fishermen loved them.

This all could be my fault.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Need more birds. The bird in the video didn't seem to have much problem catching and eating it.
View Quote

He only got a small piece of it. The rest got away.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#8]
These "scientists" must really think we are dumb worms cant jump they don't have legs or feet.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like the answer to the forest fire problem. Let them be free to eat all the undergrowth. Import more and supply the taco trucks, too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Why does it have to be Alabama Jumpers?  Doesn’t even sound good. How about Jersey Jumpers or Brunswick Bouncers?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bass fishermen everywhere just got a raging boner.
View Quote

Real bass fishermen do not use live bait. It is cheating. You might as well use hand grenades.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#13]
So, if they eat everything, will it help with the current man made forest mismanagement by keeping the dry tinder underbrush in control?  Is this natures way of correcting man made mismanagement from burning so much property every year?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Need more birds, but birds aren't reel.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Too bad the wind mills out there are killing all the birds that could help with this issue :)
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sounds like the answer to the forest fire problem. Let them be free to eat all the undergrowth. Import more and supply the taco trucks, too.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Invasive jumping worms have made their way into California, and scientists are worried
View Quote

"Scientists worried" my hairy muscular buttocks.

Spreading unnecessary fear and panic is how they get funding. They see the opportunity to spread fear and panic with glee in their hearts and dollar signs in their eyes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So, if they eat everything, will it help with the current man made forest mismanagement by keeping the dry tinder underbrush in control?  Is this natures way of correcting man made mismanagement from burning so much property every year?
View Quote

IIRC, they deplete the soil nitrogen and alter the ph balance so native plants can't grow.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Import Asian birds.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fookin' sign me up!!!!!

View Quote

Looks like it could be fun!

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Real bass fishermen do not use live bait. It is cheating. You might as well use hand grenades.
View Quote

The hand grenades are reserved for removing wasp nests.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Lol, proof that everything bad for California comes from other, usually Eastern, states.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#24]
everything i know about worms, is that you need them in the soil to break down the detritus, and deposit casings, that enrich the soil, all while aerating it. suddenly, worms doing worm things are bad? will these fucking libtarded idiots ever make their minds up? worms are great for the soil, much needed/worms will strip the soil of soil, leaving only taco waste behind!!!!!! for fucks sake.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Stop them with invasive land planarians (flatworms).
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Lol, proof that everything bad for California comes from other, usually Eastern, states.
View Quote
Or from asia, you know like the article states...

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Looks like good bait
Asian Jumping worms raise concerns as invasive species in Wisconsin, causing trouble for gardeners
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Fire ants are salivating at the fun
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Invasive species destroying the natural order of things………so why should we give a shit? Some indigenous organisms may be negatively effected?  

Sounds like our immigration policy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't change what I said except I'll include Asia too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Somewhere, someone is looking at that and wondering what it would be like if they could put them up their ass.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Nightcrawlers do the same thing when you (try to) stick a fishhook into them.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#33]
If they want to stop this invasive species, why don’t they start with the ones coming across our southern border first as they are doing even more harm to CA.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wonder how many of those fucking worms all the birds that have been sacrificed on the altar of green wind farms could/would eat in a year.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

So it's ok to use a lure that imitates something alive, but not ok to use the real thing? Who decided this?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

"Scientists worried" my hairy muscular buttocks.

Spreading unnecessary fear and panic is how they get funding. They see the opportunity to spread fear and panic with glee in their hearts and dollar signs in their eyes.
View Quote

Truth. Fund my study, and I will find reasons for you to fund further studies.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I gotta admit it, American worms are pretty lazy
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Bass fishermen everywhere just got a raging boner.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Weren't those carp that jump out of the water Asian carp?

What's up with the jumping shit from Asia?
View Quote
We even have the jumping common cold, jumped from a bio-weapons lab to the rest of the world.

Asians be jumping maniacs though. When I was in junior high school we had a chinese kid that was ~5.4 that we called "air wong". He dunked like it was on sale. We were about the same height but I was much beefier the legs with almost nothing for upper body strength where his muscle mass was more evenly distributed. I had a silly high vertical jump compared to my classmates. He and I could both touch 12'10" from a 3 stride run up but occasionally he'd top 13'.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

I bet Asian carp would love those.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Where is Earl and Valentine when you need them?
View Quote
Earl just passed
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Since when?  The goal of fishing is to catch fish.  When did, well you caught that using live bait....suddenly not make that "real" fishing?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Unleash bearded dragons.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

IIRC, they deplete the soil nitrogen and alter the ph balance so native plants can't grow.
View Quote
So where does the nitrogen go? Are they the only worm in existence that doesn't poop out debris and create nitrogen fertilizer?

Sounds like bullshit to me.  

Are all the lush Japanese forests  surviving on some unknown materials since these worms supposedly took all the nitrogen from Japanese soil?

Sounds more like bullshit fear mongering to fund another ten years of study with tax money.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Look like night crawlers on meth.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#46]
The least of California's problems.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:33:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Why does it have to be Alabama Jumpers?  Doesn’t even sound good. How about Jersey Jumpers or Brunswick Bouncers?
View Quote

Those Alabama Jumpers are too boucoup for California forests.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Hopefully they eat leftists
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I wish they were this concerned about illegal aliens.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
We even have the jumping common cold, jumped from a bio-weapons lab to the rest of the world.

Asians be jumping maniacs though. When I was in junior high school we had a chinese kid that was ~5.4 that we called "air wong". He dunked like it was on sale. We were about the same height but I was much beefier the legs with almost nothing for upper body strength where his muscle mass was more evenly distributed. I had a silly high vertical jump compared to my classmates. He and I could both touch 12'10" from a 3 stride run up but occasionally he'd top 13'.
View Quote

Cool story.It sounds like you two were close. Did he jump when you put it in the wong hole?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top