Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/4/2020 10:45:42 PM EDT
If you dock at the ISS, and they first open the hatch, what's the 'house' odor?

I'm thinking porta-potty and MRE entree.

Amiright?
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Smells like space
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Apparently rhe yesrs of bo funk is so bad there's special training as part just to get used to it.

I .ean would it kill them to open a window once in a while
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Graham crackers and 3 day old funk.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve seen it explained, apparently it’s bad.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I read the place is just full of bacteria and fecal matter. The largest complaint about prolonged space travel is no shower.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Twerk wind?
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Pressurized ass.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Microwave bean burrito farts, halitosis, and ozone.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#9]
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=iss+smell
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#10]
US astronauts drink recycled urine aboard space station but Russians refuse

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/aug/26/us-astronauts-recycled-urine-international-space-station
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#11]
It is so bad Taco Bell farts make it smell better.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#12]
cat piss
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I am sure it is quite unique, with a veritable blended bouquet of scents.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Probably smells worse than a month-old ice cave bivy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#15]
NASA astronaut Scott Kelly has revealed the ISS smells like jail, citing the similarities in their 'combinations of antiseptic, garbage, and body odor. '  'I was touring the Harris County Jail, and there's this room that smells like space station - combination of antiseptic, garbage, and body odor,' he said.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Probably like a well used port-a-Jon that’s sitting in the middle of the desert.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Interesting. Never considered it
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I did an event where Mark Kelly was speaking at. He talked briefly about it and said it's one of the things they don't talk about much. He said it's like an old gym. He said one time they had a bunch of mold growing on a wall and NASA couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. The whole wall was covered with it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Smells like space
View Quote

No, it smells like a gym locker room.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#20]
It smells terrible, but Mir smelled worse.

They actually feared for astronaut/cosmonaut safety from the air quality of mir towards the end.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Apparently rhe yesrs of bo funk is so bad there's special training as part just to get used to it.

I .ean would it kill them to open a window once in a while
View Quote

In space, no one can hear you gag.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:13:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Former NASA Astronaut Explains How Hygiene Is Different in Space | WIRED
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Burnt toast. Same as outside the station.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Interesting. Never considered it
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:19:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/aug/26/us-astronauts-recycled-urine-international-space-station
View Quote

When you think of it, we are all drinking water that the dinosaurs, cavemen, every living creature has consumed and expelled since life on earth existed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Gonna smell like some BO... Gotta remember no one can really take a true shower.

But when a capsule docks and opens the hatch they aren't gonna smell it. Air has to be pushed in microgravity.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:21:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Their is no air in space  Duh...

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a friend who stayed on the ISS.  When he told me how they take shits, I was scarred for life.

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Feet.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a friend who stayed on the ISS.  When he told me how they take shits, I was scarred for life.

View Quote

.......well come on, don't leave us hanging!
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:26:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
NASA astronaut Scott Kelly has revealed the ISS smells like jail, citing the similarities in their 'combinations of antiseptic, garbage, and body odor. '  'I was touring the Harris County Jail, and there's this room that smells like space station - combination of antiseptic, garbage, and body odor,' he said.
View Quote

Touring, huh? Yeah, sure.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Astronaut Chris Hadfield Debunks Space Myths | WIRED
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

So presumably the Russians drink fresh water that they send up and then they piss it out and then Americans drink it?  At least we can send astronauts up in our own rockets and hopefully at some point soon they will be able to take a drink of water that hasn’t come from a Russian dick.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Tang
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Piss shit bo and chemicals

Supposedly space smells like gunpowder
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:33:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Perfectly spherical man jizz?
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

.......well come on, don't leave us hanging!
View Quote

That's the thing they don't hang in space. You get a 3 inch vacuum hole and some gloves and sani wipes
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#38]
@Domnior

He was on two shuttle launches.  So they wear a diaper for launches and it takes several hours before they take off, if there are delays.  Sometimes if you have to shit or piss you go in your diaper while laying on your back.

Then on the ISS when they first get in the station is smells like ass mixed with BO for awhile until your nose gets used to it.

For taking dumps, they shit into this plastic bag that has suction added to it because of Zero G.  You squat over this bag and when you're done you use either your gloved hand or a pair of specially engineered poop scissors to cut your log.  Then you wipe yourself down with wet wipes and pack it all up.  

He said pissing is tricky because you have this personal nozzle thing that has a hose with suction that you hold up against yourself to piss in but you have to be careful because you can have piss bubbles floating around which you try to suction up.  

For showers they use wetwipes and dry shampoo on their hair.

He also did 2 or 3 spacewalks which he said was probably some of the most amazing experiences he has ever had.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't they ever purge the air?  Like put everyone in space suits one day, de-pressurize the station slowly until there is no air left, then re-pressurize with some tanks that they send up with another rocket.

Problem solved, for a little while at least
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:51:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Burnt popcorn!
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:53:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
That was one of the main reasons I quit corrections.

That shit haunted my dreams
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#42]
The next module should be the janitorial module.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Arfcom.

We talk bout evvrting (in Miss Swan voice)
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Gonna smell like some BO... Gotta remember no one can really take a true shower.

But when a capsule docks and opens the hatch they aren't gonna smell it. Air has to be pushed in microgravity.
View Quote

Recirc fans are part and parcel...
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
@Domnior

He was on two shuttle launches.  So they wear a diaper for launches and it takes several hours before they take off, if there are delays.  Sometimes if you have to shit or piss you go in your diaper while laying on your back.

Then on the ISS when they first get in the station is smells like ass mixed with BO for awhile until your nose gets used to it.

For taking dumps, they shit into this plastic bag that has suction added to it because of Zero G.  You squat over this bag and when you're done you use either your gloved hand or a pair of specially engineered poop scissors to cut your log.  Then you wipe yourself down with wet wipes and pack it all up.  

He said pissing is tricky because you have this personal nozzle thing that has a hose with suction that you hold up against yourself to piss in but you have to be careful because you can have piss bubbles floating around which you try to suction up.  

He also did 2 or 3 spacewalks which he said was probably some of the most amazing experiences he has ever had.
View Quote

That sounds like apollo bags, i believe the space shuttle did have more of a toilet as does the iss. They keep the appollo bags for backup
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:00:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Don't they ever purge the air?  Like put everyone in space suits one day, de-pressurize the station slowly until there is no air left, then re-pressurize with some tanks that they send up with another rocket.

View Quote

That wouldn't get the smell out of the surfaces and the toilet full of shit and cargo ships full of trash.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That sounds like apollo bags, i believe the space shuttle did have more of a toilet as does the iss. They keep the appollo bags for backup
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Domnior

Shuttle had a toilet. Very interesting design, which I guess is where the “macerator” toilets got their inspiration from
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:02:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Air (oxygen) and water are the two most precious resources on board, they don’t vent either into space for olfactory effect.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Burnt assholes and wolf pussy.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:06:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That wouldn't get the smell out of the surfaces and the toilet full of shit and cargo ships full of trash.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't they have an airlock or some shit that they can dump that stuff out of?

Funfact: The Apollo astronauts left their poo on the moon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top