Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/7/2023 8:32:17 AM EDT
Really a trivial matter but I still find it to be interesteing.

The other day I went to lowes to get something for a project, spent probably $100 or so on the supplies. I carried most all of them in a 5 gallon bucket out of convenience, with the intent of buying the bucket too.

I already had to to take extra time checking out because the cashier didn't know how to look up the cost of the short pieces of rebar that I got so I had to help her look them up.

So I pay for everything and head to the truck and realize when I get there "I don't remember her scanning the bucket". Look at the receipt, and sure enough no bucket. They're less than $5.

So to avoid any guilty conscience, I walk all the way back inside to the same cashier (who had no customer at the moment) and told her she forgot to ring up the bucket. The whole time, I'm expecting a "oh don't worry about it, my mistake".

No, she actually wants me to pay for it. So we go through the whole checkout process again, pay with my card again, and go on my merry way.

I expect zero for free. I've never stolen anything (that I'm aware of). That being said, in a situation like this, I more or less expected just to walk in and wave the $4.50 bucket and she say don't worry about it and save me some time. Theres no telling how much is actual stolen every day in that store. It just kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I could have very well just never said anything about it, no-one would have known the wiser, but out of the goodness of my heart I tried to make it right.

It could have just been she's low on the totem poll of seniority and didn't want to get in trouble, who knows. Maybe a manager wouldn't have cared.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Really?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:33:43 AM EDT
[#2]
You have to be joking.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I would have marched a pressure washer out of there for the inconvenience.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#4]
This is a parody, right? Please tell me it’s a parody.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Regardless of how much it cost, they still would.like to track inventory.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I expect zero for free. I've never stolen anything (that I'm aware of). That being said, in a situation like this, I more or less expected just to walk in and wave the $4.50 bucket and she say don't worry about it and save me some time. Theres no telling how much is actual stolen every day in that store. It just kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I could have very well just never said anything about it, no-one would have known the wiser, but out of the goodness of my heart I tried to make it right.
View Quote

did you expect a medal?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is a parody, right? Please tell me it’s a parody.
View Quote

I really would like to think OP is joking but I can’t tell.  Is this today’s WTF thread?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Lol the replies in this thread are about how I expected them to go.

Hook line and sinker.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Really a trivial matter but I still find it to be interesteing.

The other day I went to lowes to get something for a project, spent probably $100 or so on the supplies. I carried most all of them in a 5 gallon bucket out of convenience, with the intent of buying the bucket too.

I already had to to take extra time checking out because the cashier didn't know how to look up the cost of the short pieces of rebar that I got so I had to help her look them up.

So I pay for everything and head to the truck and realize when I get there "I don't remember her scanning the bucket". Look at the receipt, and sure enough no bucket. They're less than $5.

So to avoid any guilty conscience, I walk all the way back inside to the same cashier (who had no customer at the moment) and told her she forgot to ring up the bucket. The whole time, I'm expecting a "oh don't worry about it, my mistake".

No, she actually wants me to pay for it. So we go through the whole checkout process again, pay with my card again, and go on my merry way.

It could have just been she's low on the totem poll of seniority and didn't want to get in trouble, who knows. Maybe a manager wouldn't have cared.
View Quote

So you 'expect zero for free,' but are miffed when you go back to do the right thing and the cashier actually does the right thing?

You 'tarded or something?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Did the cashier look like this:

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hook line and sinker.
View Quote

Troll
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Honest, good, hard working people continue to pay for all those that don't have these traits.

Corporate tells workers not to chase or call out shoplifters, but they will need to treat everyone else by the book or get fired.

Which means charging for a $4.50 bucket they screwed up and didn't scan.

Im not saying it's right.
It's just the way it is.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#14]
rated troll
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did the cashier look like this:

http://i77.servimg.com/u/f77/16/17/13/49/theybe11.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Hook line and sinker.
View Quote

I was just pretending to be retarded! I totally got you guys!
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Troll
View Quote

Not a troll, it really did happen.

But I did know when I told the story that 95% of the replies would side with the big box store.

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Why did you go back in if you expected a free bucket?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:42:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seriously. WTF, OP?

Of course you have to pay for the freaking bucket.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But I did know when I told the story that 95% of the replies would side with the big box store.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Troll

I can’t see not.  I’m would never just “expect” it to be given to me for free.  That’s what I cannot understand.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hook line and sinker.
View Quote

You probably want those for free too, right?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You have to be joking.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Over someone who felt entitled to free stuff because of a mistake by a $10 an hour employee? Yep.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Seriously. WTF, OP?

Of course you have to pay for the freaking bucket.
View Quote

She doesn't have the authority to give merchandise away. Good way to get fired, if she got reported.

She just did her job. The next time you went you could have gotten another bucket and rung it up twice or rung one up and left it there.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Hook line and sinker.
View Quote

lol...
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:45:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:45:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Over someone who felt entitled to free stuff because of a mistake by a $10 an hour employee? Yep.
View Quote

Entitled to free stuff?

I owed zero to them. They forgot to scan it. I was under no obligation to go back inside.

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#29]
If you go back to pay, just pay…..employees shouldn’t be giving anything away.  I would insist on paying.

How do we get back to trust without integrity?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#30]
OP has guilt not paying for a product.  Goes back in to clear his conscience
by EXPECTING PRAISE FOR HIS PIOUSNESS AND NOT HAVING TO PAY FOR IT.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#32]
You know us privileged folks have to pay so the looter gangs can loot, right?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#33]
So you walked back to offer to pay for something.

But now you’re butt hurt because they took you up on their offer?

This might be the most bi polar, female type of post today, possibly the week.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Tracking inventory is a thing in retail business.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Entitled to free stuff?

I owed zero to them. They forgot to scan it. I was under no obligation to go back inside.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope.

This thread reminded me of the story and I wanted to see what the replies would be. https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Kroger-says-they-gave-employees-too-much-of-a-bonus-want-it-back/5-2650439/

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#39]
In the future, this doesn't deserve a thread
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#40]
This is almost exactly what’s wrong with society today.

You do the right thing because it’s “the right thing”.  It’s not “above and beyond”.  You don’t get rewarded for doing what’s right, you just do it.  That was expected of you, otherwise you’re a fucking thief.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#42]
You're wrong. This wasn't interesting at all.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#43]
guaranteed OP is the type that samples peaches and plums in the grocery store, leaving the pits in the cart
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#44]
I would have just enjoyed my free bucket.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Except you stole it. You didn’t pay for it and you left with it. Good on you for returning to let them know, shitty of you to expect an attaboy and a free bucket. Your action was correct but your motive was flawed. And to complain about it afterward, pretty low class man.
View Quote

Oh my lord

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I expect zero for free.

View Quote

This thread is literally proof that you do.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You're wrong. This wasn't interesting at all.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Pay for the bucket, then present the cashier with an invoice for the cost of your time to saunter back in to the store due to her negligence.

If she doesn’t have the authority to authorize payment to you I would immediately contact my local news channel’s investigative division and also file a complaint with the BBB.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Really?
View Quote
I'm confused. OP felt guilty for not paying for the bucket, then went back inside, and was miffed that it wasn't free? Because of the cashier's over looking it?

Is that correct?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top