Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/25/2021 2:39:45 PM EDT
I just recently found this aerial shot of ground zero of Nagasaki (not taken by my grandfather) online...what I found interesting was how I was able to compare it to two photos my grandfather took just days after the bombing...I've highlighted two areas of interest in the aerial...

Attachment Attached File

Here are the pics he took at ground zero of the church and his LST 845 (renamed USS Jefferson County in 1955)...I'm fairly certain that's his LST in the aerial photo based on location and other pictures I have, it's orientation and the other masts in the background.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Thought is was cool and I'd share...

ETA: Bthp223's 104 year old grandfather served on the 845 as well as a Chief Mechanic...he's still living and we're waiting on results as to whether he also served with my grandfather...read the dialogue below. Note, his avatar is the 845. My grandfather was a Quartermaster 3rd Class.

ETA2: Grandfather's bring-back arisaka and bayonet
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool !
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
That is cool op
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#3]
That is cool!  Was the first pic from Google Maps? JK.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Neat
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Very cool!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting, my first assumption is that it'd due to differences in construction?

Seeing as the windows/roof are gone, but the stone is present.  I understand a lot of Japanese construction was of lightweight material that burned easily.  Kinda like a stick built house vs brick maybe?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting, my first assumption is that it'd due to differences in construction?

Seeing as the windows/roof are gone, but the stone is present.  I understand a lot of Japanese construction was of lightweight material that burned easily.  Kinda like a stick built house vs brick maybe?
View Quote

That pic has always amazed me how it was still standing with everything around leveled.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Very cool.

Did he suffer any ill effects from being there so soon after the bombing?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Very neat
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Great, historic photo.  In the background, the long covered dock area, is the slipway where the super battleship Musashi was built.  It was the sister ship to the Yamato.  The Musashi was sunk in the Sibuyan Sea in the Philippines by US Navy planes while on the way to the battle of Leyte Gulf.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#12]
That last picture sure looks like my Grandfathers boat. I have to go dig and find my pictures. See my avatar.

That was the only boat where all men that were assigned to it came back with it during/after the war.

BTW my Grandfather is still alive. 104 this year.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Very cool.

View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Very cool.

View Quote

He died in 1965 from skin cancer...two months before I was born. Seriously.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He died in 1965 from skin cancer...two months before I was born. Seriously.
View Quote

Wow. That's terrible.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That last picture sure looks like my Grandfathers boat. I have to go dig and find my pictures. See my avatar.

That was the only boat where all men that were assigned to it came back with it during/after the war.

View Quote

Is that the LST 845?????? Any idea where it's docked in your picutre? I have other pics of it from a distance and on board...would be crazy if I have a picture of your grandfather on-board...feel free to PM me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hence why the US had a program to outfit bats w/ incendiary packets. The plan was to release them on Japan, essentially burning it all down.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tell your grandfather I said "Thank you" for his service!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here's another pic from the deck...crazy if your grandfather is in it...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I believe in a documentary I watched one time it stated that the church was directly below the explosion from the air detonated blast of the bomb.  The area directly below the blast has less overpressure or something to that effect and the damage is much less severe.  I could be remembering some of those details wrong but I definitely remember them saying the area directly below the blast receives less damage than the surrounding area.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#24]
This is nuts, I never thought I’d see another picture. It should be LCT 845

( Landing Craft Tank ) my bad it is LST, Thank you for the correction.

What was your Grandfather’s name. I will call later him later. PM me if you don’t want to post it here.

I couldn’t identify him from that, I’d need the picture and a magnifying glass.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I believe in a documentary I watched one time it stated that the church was directly below the explosion from the air detonated blast of the bomb.  The area directly below the blast has less overpressure or something to that effect and the damage is much less severe.  I could be remembering some of those details wrong but I definitely remember them saying the area directly below the blast receives less damage than the surrounding area.
View Quote

I think a huge factor is simply construction methods.  Stone and mortar are a lot stronger than the thin walls of conventional construction in the area.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

( Landing Craft Tank )

What was your Grandfather’s name. I will call later him later. PM me if you don’t want to post it here.

View Quote

Henry Hugo Toney, from Greenwood, SC. Quartermaster 3rd Class...pm sent as well. And, unfortunately, that's as clear and big as it gets.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Very cool
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Got it and replied. I’ll get back to you shortly to see if they were together .

I bookmarked this too, so if it’s ok I’ll share what I have here. Don’t want to hijack your thread.

My grandfather, Gerald M Simoni. Chief Mechanic.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
There was a building directly under the Hiroshima bomb. It stood mostly.  It is now a memorial of sorts i think..

Nagasaki was actually a miss.   The bomb detonated several miles from the intended point.  Still causing massive damage, but only about half as many immediate casualties as the Hiroshima bomb even though it had a higher yield.   Fine by me.  The point was to end the war thereby saving lives. The fewer we had to kill to achieve that end the better.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct.

At that time most structures in Japan were of wood so the closer to the epicenter the less likely to survive.

I've been to the A-bomb museums in Nagasaki and Hiroshima .......... much prefer the one in Nagasaki. It's less visited, more informative and Nagasaki is just a nicer city to visit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Very neat stuff
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Great post OP!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Wow.  Thanks for posting that OP.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

( Landing Craft Tank )

View Quote

Sometimes it’s a small world
Definitely LST

LCT were smaller.  

Also, looks like LST-845 was the Jefferson County (per Wikipedia, no Lexington County LST is listed)
Built in Ambridge PA along the Ohio river
Decommissioned and scrapped in 1961 after many years of service

And they didn’t get the county names until after WWII - 1950s
My Dad was an LST sailor, Vietnam War
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Jefferson...my bad...your right!!!

Quoted:

Definitely LST

LCT were smaller.  

Also, looks like LST-845 was the Jefferson County (per Wikipedia, no Lexington County LST is listed)

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#36]
This is the kind of cool stuff I love GD for!

Thanks OP!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#37]
OST to see if other guy's grandpa knows OP's grandpa.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That is cool op
View Quote

Sure is. My FIL was an MP in the Marines.  He had to guard the perimeter.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Very cool! Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

+1

View Quote

As for the possible effects:  Granddad had to go to the VA hospital in Asheville every 3 or 5 years until he passed in 2008 for them to do radiation exposure testing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I bookmarked this too, so if it’s ok I’ll share what I have here. Don’t want to hijack your thread.

View Quote

That ain't no hijack. It's an awesome enhancement post updates here!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#42]

OST!

Thanks for sharing, OP.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#43]
This is a mega cool topic.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Catholic church!

Quoted:
I just recently found this aerial shot of ground zero of Nagasaki (not taken by my grandfather) online...what I found interesting was how I was able to compare it to two photos my grandfather took just days after the bombing...I've highlighted two areas of interest in the aerial...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322327/nagasaki_2_jpg-1796269.JPG

Here are the pics he took at ground zero of the church and his LST 845 (USS Lexington County)...I'm fairly certain that's his LST in the aerial based on location and other pictures I have, it's orientation and the other masts in the background.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322327/japanchurch_jpg-1796272.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322327/japanship2_jpg-1796273.JPG

Thought is was cool and I'd share...
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#45]
I always found it ironic that a nominally Christian nation would use a Catholic Church as the target for the bomb, and from the history I have read since I was a kid, the church was chosen as the target.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
OST to see if other guy's grandpa knows OP's grandpa.
View Quote

Now a safe thread?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Definitely LST

LCT were smaller.  

View Quote

Cool info...what is was called during the war...just the Jefferson? I'll have to go look at the paperwork I have on him and see what it says.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Got it and replied. I’ll get back to you shortly to see if they were together .

My grandfather, Gerald M Simoni. Chief Mechanic.
View Quote

To hell with that, that's the most awesome thread hijack I've seen in years.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I always found it ironic that a nominally Christian nation would use a Catholic Church as the target for the bomb, and from the history I have read since I was a kid, the church was chosen as the target.
View Quote

No, the target was the central business district and they missed by 3 and a half klicks due to heavy cloud cover.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top