Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2022 12:37:21 PM EDT
... with?
I had one quarter sized hail dent that the paintless guys couldn't get right, so it had to get some paintwork done.
Thing is, it is a tough paint to match, and it has to be in the right light, parked right, etc before you can see the defect.
When you do see it, it looks bad.
Apparently, the shop had hell with it in the first place, and redid it a few times, and they said they would do it again if I wanted.
Thing is, I'm not sure they can ever get it right.
Now, insurance has already paid, so what are my options?
Don't really know what to do in this situation, other than ignore it, take it to the dealers body shop, etc.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Just live with it.

Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#2]
What car and what color?
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The paint is peeling on my truck and IDGIF LOL.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#4]
reach out to your adjuster.
let them know.
I had to take my car back several times, but the whole point of insurance is to make it like before it happened.
there may be limitations depending on who you have your policy with, and some insurance companies are worse to work with than others.
the couple I have had to have claims with worked with me and got stuff fixed right.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#5]
nsl car thread
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What car and what color?
View Quote

New Mazda in Machine Gray.
Supposedly very tough to make look right.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Insurance is very likely to say it's between you and the shop to figure out, unless you went to one of the insurance's network shops.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a similar situation a few years ago, they had to have a paint rep come in and use a camera that could color match and then they blended the paint a foot or two in each direction to ensure it couldn't be seen.  I was very happy with the correction.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Most insurance carriers will honor the additional repair IF you went through one of their network shops.

Odds are that you'll have to handle it if you went with a shop of your own choice. If it's a decent shop they should make it right. Yelp and Google Reviews are your friend if they refuse.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Ultimately it’s between you and the shop.  

That color IIRC has a colored primer and a layer of clear under the color coat.  I probably have details screwed up but it has four layers vs two and it’s a pain to match.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
nsl car thread
View Quote
Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Did the estimate include blending the adjacent panels
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Most insurance carriers will honor the additional repair IF you went through one of their network shops.

Odds are that you'll have to handle it if you went with a shop of your own choice. If it's a decent shop they should make it right. Yelp and Google Reviews are your friend if they refuse.
View Quote

Actually, I used the PDR guys the adjuster recommended.
No problem with the dent repair, but something is off with that paint in the right light.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#14]
46G is a tri-stage color. It basically starts with a black base oat and then a silver base over that and then cleared. There will be several diffent sets of procedures to spray it depending on the paint system being used. If it's a color match issue, you will need to find a shop that has plenty of experience with it, like a shop at a Mazda dealer. Also, call your local dealer and ask who they send their work to if they don't have a bodyshop in house.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did the estimate include blending the adjacent panels
View Quote

I think it was mostly PDR.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
nsl car thread
View Quote

Love me my weekly nsl
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
46G is a tri-stage color. It basically starts with a black base oat and then a silver base over that and then cleared. There will be several diffent sets of procedures to spray it depending on the paint system being used. If it's a color match issue, you will need to find a shop that has plenty of experience with it, like a shop at a Mazda dealer. Also, call your local dealer and ask who they send their work to if they don't have a bodyshop in house.
View Quote

I think the actual color matches, but it is almost like there is too much metallic in the repair VS the surrounding areas.
Looks like it was rattle canned in certain light, and looks great in others.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:00:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Will insurance pay to have it redone at a dealer shop, though?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:28:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think it was mostly PDR.
View Quote
PDR is paint less dent removal, not sure why the PDR guy would have painted the vehicle but if he did it's likely it was a rattle can. You need to get with the adjuster and let them know that the PDR was not successful, then find the best body shop that you can that has experience with that paint code, and have them put in a supplement to repair the panel, paint the panel, and blend the adjacent panels.

Insurance will write for PDR because they hope it will be successful. If it's not successful they still owe for a proper repair. A good body shop will put in the supplement for you and handle the adjuster.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly. It's not unheard of. I've had to redo other shops work before and the insurance Co paid for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top