1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
1- 2 lb. pork shoulder
2 cups unsalted chicken broth or water
2 Russet potatoes cut into chunks
2 carrots cut into chunks
1 onion cut into quarters
3 cloves garlic

In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, and garlic powder and stir to combine.
Rub pork roast with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with the salt mixture on all sides.
Select the Saute' (More setting) button to heat the Instant Pot. When "Hot" is displayed, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
Add the seasoned pork roast and sear on all sides, approximately 4 minutes per side.
When roast has been seared on all sides, press Cancel and remove roast from the Instant Pot. Place on a plate and set aside.
Add the broth or water to the Instant Pot, scraping any bits from the bottom with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
Place the trivet in the bottom or the Instant pot. Lay the roast on top of the trivet and arrange the potatoes,carrots, onions, and garlic around it.
Cover pot, lock on the lid, and set the steam release valve to Sealing
Select the Meat/Stew or Manual button and set the cook time to 30 minutes.
When the cooking cycle has finished, allow the pot to sit for 10 minutes, and then release by moving the valve to Venting.
Optional Step: To crisp the crust, preheat oven to 425 F while the roast is resting.
Remove the pork to a sheet pan or roasting pan if using crisping method. Place in preheated oven and cook for 10 minutes.
If not using the crisping method: Remove the pork to a cutting board.
Carve the roast into 1/2" slices
To make gravy, remove roast and all vegetables from broth in pot. Make a slurry with 2 tbsp of corn starch and 3 tbsp of water.
Set pot to Saute' and bring to boil, pour in slurry while stirring, turn pot off and continue to stir until boiling stops. Gravy will thicken as it cools.
Alternatively, pre-packaged pork gravy powder can be used in the broth.
View Quote
Sounds really good.  I'll give it a try, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad this thread is still going. Joined the instant pot master race yesterday. Made ribs tonight. Have not sampled the goods yet.

ETA. Spelling.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#4]
chicken taco bowl

I use the IP to make this as a lunch time quick burrito filling for the family. The IP works best for me when I use recipes similar to a Dutch oven dump cake. Just drop everything in and press the button.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Search for  Pressure Cooker Recipes.

Here are a few drop dead winners:

Coq au Vin
Boeuf Bourguignon
(the same thing, chicken or beef)

Cassoulet (chicken/beans)

Ratatouille (eggplant)

Anything french (or otherwise) that involves a dutch oven. Try using the word Provencal in your searches.

Heres's an excellent article on adapting dutch oven recipes to the pressure cooker.
Get to know Lorna Sass.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#6]
The stainless inner pot is a complete pain in the ass to clean.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Naw man.

For anything stuck on just add water to the pot and put on saute'.

To clean any stains in the pot just use baking soda, a bit of water, and scrub it. Comes out looking like new.

To get rid of odors, use 1 cup of water to 1/2 cup of white vinegar, set to manual and let it steam for 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Naw man.

To clean any stains in the pot just use baking soda, a bit of water, and scrub it. Comes out looking like new.

To get rid of odors, use 1 cup of water to 1/2 cup of white vinegar, set to manual and let it steam for 10 minutes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Naw man.

Thanks. Will try this.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks. Will try this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Naw man.

Thanks. Will try this.
I also remove the lid seal, release knob, and the little steel slotted cap under the lid and soak them in hot water and vinegar every once in awhile.

But, the aftermarket seals are cheap on Amazon, so buy some extras.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's what I'm making for St. Patty's Day.

CORNED BEEF & CABBAGE WITH POTATOES AND CARROTS
Ingredients
3-4 pound corned beef brisket , rinsed
4 cloves garlic , minced
2.5 cups water
12 ounces lager-style beer
1 pound tiny potatoes (about 1-1/2 inches in diameter), or red-skinned potatoes cut into 1-1/2 inch wedges
1 head cabbage , cut into 8 wedges
1 pound baby carrots
Whole grain mustard

Instructions
Combine garlic and water in Instant Pot. Place the corned beef brisket, fat side up, on a trivet. Pour beer over the brisket.
Seal lid and set the unit to Manual for 85 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 20 minutes, then manually release the remaining pressure. Remove corned beef and place on a baking sheet or a cutting board, spooning a bit of the cooking liquid over the top. Cover with foil to keep warm.
Strain cooking liquid and discard solids. Return 1-1/2 cups of liquid to the Instant Pot and add potatoes, carrots, and cabbage wedges. (Reserve remaining cooking liquid.) Seal lid and set the unit to Manual for 3-4 minutes, depending on how soft you like your vegetables. Quick release pressure.
Slice corned beef against the grain. Spoon a little bit of the reserved cooking liquid over the corned beef slices on your platter. Serve corned beef with mustard.

ETA: It was awesome!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ethiopian Chicken Stew
Very spicy chicken stew with a really beautiful deep red color from the berbere spice and oil.

2 white onions diced
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp crushed ginger
5 cloves crushed garlic
2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs cut up into bite-sized pieces
1/4 cup berbere spice (basically chili powder with other stuff)

mix tomatoes and berbere spice together in a separate bowl

Sautee onions for 8-10 minutes until soft in the coconut oil
add garlic and ginger sautee for 30 seconds to a minute
add broth, don't stir
add tomatoes and berbere spice previously mixed together in a bowl, don't stir
add chicken on top, don't stir
cover, pressure cook 10 minutes

You layer the liquids on the bottom and don't stir to prevent getting a "burn" warning on the cooker that stops the cooking process. I hate that about Instant Pots. Layering thin liquids on the bottom seems to prevent it.
View Quote
I made this the other day, and it was very good.   Not bad at all from a carb perspective too.    To help make it a meal, I added some riced cauliflower to the leftovers and will include that in the pot the next time.   Maybe some green pepper too.

Found the berbere spice on Amazon for a full pound, so definitely making this again.

@raven
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I made my first beef stew in the Instantpot and it was really, really good.  I normally cook it on the stove top and struggle to get the flavor I want but the pressure cooker nailed it.  The meat was almost too tender but I think that means that much more fat and flavor got rendered into the stew.

Very simple recipe:

Stew meat
garlic
carrots
onion (I just realized I used red instead of yellow and maybe this helped the stew be more sweet?)
celery
1 cup of red wine
2 Tablespoons of red wine vinegar
handful of bay leaves.
beef broth

Brown the meat, using the saute function.

Throw in all vegetables and saute for a few minutes.

Add all other ingredients, cover and hit the "meat/stew" button with pressure valve closed.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I made this the other day, and it was very good.   Not bad at all from a carb perspective too.    To help make it a meal, I added some riced cauliflower to the leftovers and will include that in the pot the next time.   Maybe some green pepper too.

Found the berbere spice on Amazon for a full pound, so definitely making this again.

@raven
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ethiopian Chicken Stew
Very spicy chicken stew with a really beautiful deep red color from the berbere spice and oil.

2 white onions diced
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp crushed ginger
5 cloves crushed garlic
2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs cut up into bite-sized pieces
1/4 cup berbere spice (basically chili powder with other stuff)

mix tomatoes and berbere spice together in a separate bowl

Sautee onions for 8-10 minutes until soft in the coconut oil
add garlic and ginger sautee for 30 seconds to a minute
add broth, don't stir
add tomatoes and berbere spice previously mixed together in a bowl, don't stir
add chicken on top, don't stir
cover, pressure cook 10 minutes

You layer the liquids on the bottom and don't stir to prevent getting a "burn" warning on the cooker that stops the cooking process. I hate that about Instant Pots. Layering thin liquids on the bottom seems to prevent it.

@raven
Glad you liked it.

I'm doing the corned beef recipe today or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:41:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Not a fan.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:51:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've been using mine for a few different things.

The one thing I don't like is that the saute function is not adequate for properly searing meats.

I've been searing in a pan on stovetop and then transferring to Instapot... kinda defeats the one-pot benefit.
View Quote
Welcome to my wild and wonderful world.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh man, I made a great batch of beef lentil stew last hour. I made a batch last week which was ok, but was a bit lacking. Mainly, the instant pot does a really shitty job of browning meat. I changed a few things and nailed it. This is for a 3 qt Instant pot.

kosher salt
1-1.5 lbs beef stew meat
avocado oil
1/2 cup red wine

1 onion, diced fine
1 carrot, small dice, 1/2 weight of the onion in grams
3 stalks celery, fine dice, 1/2 weight of the onion in grams

2 tbsp tomato paste
4-5 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp dry oregano
Fresh rosemary leaves from 1 sprig, chopped
1 tbsp black pepper

3 bay leaves
16 oz Kettle and Fire brand beef bone broth, check the health food section if it's not in the soup section
16 oz water

1 cup dry lentils

The night before, open the stew meat up, dry with a paper towel, and in a food container lined with paper towel, sprinkle with kosher salt. After a few hours, flip the meat and season the unseasoned sides. This is to draw the water to the surface to facilitate browning, as well as to season.

In a saucepan, mix the water and bone broth and heat separately from the instant pot. Preheat it so the pressure comes up faster when it's added later. Do it in a saucepan because it foams up drastically when it boils, and it's easy to move off the heat.

Set the instant pot to the highest setting of sautee, add 1-2 tbsp avocado oil until around 300 f and begin sauteeing the onion, carrots and celery.

In a large frying pan, heat up 3-4 tbsp of avocado oil on high, and brown the beef. In batches, if necessary and move to a metal bowl when done. Pour off the excess oil into a container or can for disposal, pour the red wine into the empty pan to deglaze the fond. Scrape the fond and pour the wine-deglazed fond into the sauteeing mirepoix.

Sautee for about 10 minutes until mirepoix is soft. Stir in garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano and rosemary and mix. Add in tomato paste and mix, cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes, until things just start to stick to the bottom of the pot. Add in the lentils and mix for a few seconds.

Pour in the preheated broth and water, scrape bottom of pot to prevent a "burn" reading.

Gently add in the browned beef and bay leaves. Put the lid on, pressure cook on high for 15 minutes, don't set it to keep warm, let it rest about 15-20 minutes before releasing pressure and removing lid. Very hearty, goes really well with potatoes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#17]
A spicier variation on crack chicken.  Fits an 8qt pot.

5 lbs or so boneless chicken
2 pkgs cream cheese

Or
2 pkgs Neufchatel low fat cream cheese
2 pkgs ranch dressing mix
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste.
1 or 2 shakes of Worchestershire sauce
1.25 cups chicken stock or water.
8oz cheddar or Mexican Mix or pepper jack shredded cheese.
Cooked crumbled  bacon or small cut pepperoni to taste.
Optional: A squidge of powdered onion and/or powdered garlic and/or seasoned salt.

Add Worchestershire to chicken stock. Add the mixture to the pot.

If you slice the chicken across the grain one or two times it will shred into short strands.

Place the chicken, ranch mix, cayenne, any optionals, and cream cheese in the pot in that order.  No trivet.

Close the lid, seal the steam vent.  Set pot for 30 minutes, high pressure.  Natural release 10 minutes.  Vent any remaining steam.

Add the shredded cheese and bacon or pepperoni and stir, shredding the chicken in the process.  Use a spatula and break up the chicken like you would when frying hamburger.

Serve on buns, over riced or mashed cauliflower, mashed potatos, or a small pasta like pastina.  Leftovers go really well in scrambled eggs.

I may be the lone ranger here, but I like it with cooked cabbage and carrots.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I did hard boiled eggs today with an easy-to-reminder “recipe”

5-5-5

5 mins high pressure
5 mins natural vent
5 mins ice bath

Came out perfect
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I did hard boiled eggs today with an easy-to-reminder “recipe”

5-5-5

5 mins high pressure
5 mins natural vent
5 mins ice bath

Came out perfect
View Quote
Yeah, our chickens have come out of their winter egg laying hibernation. Suddenly we've had more eggs than we can consume again.

I've used the 555 method a few times now and everytime they've come out perfect.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Tonight is my first night with an instant pot.

It is kind of a kill it and grill it night.

I am eating bits of this guy...Attachment Attached File

In a savory stew with potatoes onions carrots and peas.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Found a jambalaya recipe online the other day that I tweaked to use what I had on hand and it came out great:

1 1/4 cup rice
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cups of water
Your choice of cased sausage, andouille is traditional but I used some chorizo with good results
3 sticks celery
1 whole white onion
2 cloves garlic
1 green bell pepper
2 bags mini cooked salad shrimp
2 tablespoons Tony Chachere's, of course more if you'd like.
1 can chicken broth
2 tablespoons oil

Slice the sausage and saute in the instant pot, once cooked and browned set aside. Add oil while sauteeing if needed.

Slice up all veggies and toss in the instant pot with oil and saute until translucent. Add rice and mix. Add chicken broth, this should deglaze the bottom of the pot. Add water, tomatoes and seasoning.

Switch instant pot to pressure cook and set time for 8 minutes.

Once the 8 minutes are up do a natural release for 5 minutes then manually release the rest of the pressure.

Add sausage back in and dump on the salad shrimp. Stir in and place lid back on for 5 minutes to heat up the sausage and shrimp.

Serve.

My kids are it up and leftovers didn't last long
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've been using mine for a few different things.

The one thing I don't like is that the saute function is not adequate for properly searing meats.

I've been searing in a pan on stovetop and then transferring to Instapot... kinda defeats the one-pot benefit.
View Quote
I wanted one and then my GF bought one, the Ninja 4in1 slow cooker, which isn't a pressure cooker, but is still pretty nice with 82 pre-programmed recipes for 'dump and forget' cooking.

In my research, most 'Insta type cookers only have 900w heating elements on the bottom.  The Ninja does 1250w and has heating elements on the sides of the rectangular pan.  It can sear meats better and works.

Also, most IPs come with a non-stick coated pots, as opposed naked pans.  NS pans don't sear nearly as well.  IIRC, IP offers the option to buy a standard pan, which aids in searing, but they're ~$20, or so.

We did Italian roast beef sandwiches one day and that's been it.  We eat out a lot, lol.

Get a 2-3# Chuck Roast (seared on all sides,) a bottle of pepperoncinis, a packet of 7 Seas Italian salad dressing (watch the sodium) and throw that stuff in there for 6 hours.  It'll start to break down into shredded beef after about 5 hours.

Get hoagie rolls, add some provolone and go to town.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I made this tonight, it was awesome. I added some crushed red pepper flakes and homemade no knead bread!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/instant-pot-chicken-cacciatore-4614479

Bread:  forgive the cooking blog links, scroll down for the recipe.

https://lifemadesimplebakes.com/2016/09/4-ingredient-no-knead-artisan-bread/
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 6:16:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings

1 lb chicken breast, cubed
1 can refrigerated biscuits. Any brand is fine; I use the generic "Grands".
2 lg carrots sliced, or 1 can carrots
1 onion, chopped
1 can of peas or 1 cup frozen peas
2 cans cream of chicken/celery/mushroom/asparagus soup
2 cups chicken broth
2 Tbs butter
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Turn the IP on saute. When hot add butter, onion, and pepper and cook until onions are clear.
Add chicken and continue to saute just until pink is gone.
Turn off heat and deglaze with some of the broth.
Add remaining soup and broth, mix until well blended.
Add carrots and stir if using fresh; if using canned add them with the peas.
Remove biscuits from container and tear into pieces, 4-6 pieces per biscuit.
Place biscuit pieces on top in single layer evenly.
Cook on manual high for 5 minutes and quick release.
Gently stir in canned peas and canned carrots.

The above is the base recipe.  I added some poultry spice and omitted the added salt.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I did hard boiled eggs today with an easy-to-reminder "recipe"

5-5-5

5 mins high pressure
5 mins natural vent
5 mins ice bath

Came out perfect
View Quote
I use the 5-4-whenever I get around to peeling them, method
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 11:45:14 PM EDT
[#26]

This guy knows what he's doing with an InstantPot.
One of the best InstantPot channels on YT along with SixSisters.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYEDFF03zrE

This guy knows what he's doing with an InstantPot.
One of the best InstantPot channels on YT along with SixSisters.
View Quote
He seems to add cream to everything, I stopped subscribing since that doesn't match my tastes.  I'll see what he's added recently.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 11:55:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
He seems to add cream to everything, I stopped subscribing since that doesn't match my tastes.  I'll see what he's added recently.
View Quote
lol.
He still adds cream to a lot of things and Boursin cheese.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#29]
SWAG for tonight's dinner, it turned out well.

1 pound ground venison
1 yellow onion, diced
3 large carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
4 large potatoes, cleaned and cut into bite sized pieces
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 can creamed corn (didn't have regular)
2-3 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
Pepper
1 cup water

Brown the ground venison and diced onion together with the Instant Pot on the sauté setting.

Add the carrots, potatoes, canned tomatoes, Italian seasoning, pepper, and water to the instant pot.

Stir everything up, put the lid on the instant pot, and process for 15 minutes.

Quick release.

Stir in canned corn (it was already cooked so I didn't want to cook it more).

I served it with garlic bread on the side.  Very tasty and easy, though a bit soupy.

I think it would also be good if the potatoes were omitted and it was served over rice or egg noodles.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top