Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2018 10:26:08 PM EDT
Discovered it tonight. Has anyone else seen this. So far, the first three episodes, it shows the craft in England.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems really interesting so far.  Makes me want to join it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 12:21:56 AM EDT
[#2]
This would be the perfect forum to ask questions. There are several illustrious brothers around
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 3:14:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure why anyone would continue to patronize Netflix.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 5:23:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not a Mason.

I don't have Netflix.

But as closed mouth as the Masons are l don't see them making a movie/ miniseries about themselves.

So...?

An anti-Mason hit piece?

That's where my mind automatically goes when things like this come up.

But maybe I'm just an old cranky,  cynical grandpa man. Yelling at clouds.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 6:48:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I am not a Mason so my opinion may not rate.

A while back I read several articles about the decline in membership, and even closure of, lodges.

Perhaps this is a way to generate new interest?
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 8:11:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I have friends that are Masons. For some reason, they are all Democrats. Hmmmm!
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I am surprised about how much was actually shown on the show. Not that there is anything to hide or be ashamed of.

The issue of declining membership, and efforts to revitalize the brotherhood was addressed.

In an organization open to all religions that have a divine being you are surprised about diversity?  As we don’t do politics at the lodge I could not answer to anyone who only knows democratic Freemasons.  What I can say is that amongst my brothers that I socialize with none lean left. I would truly be surprised to learn if any members of my home lodge are democrat. As an example, Freemasonry is very common in the LEO and military communities. I have always been involved in the military community, but have never been around many peace officers until being raised. On the surface I was surprised, but after thinking about it, it is perfectly reasonable. One of the greatest conflicts I have with Freemasonry is the fact that we believe in supporting the law of the land. As the laws veer towards the left and weaken our republic I for one am torn. In my experience more of my brothers agree with that thought than disagree with it. Look to the founding fathers, and notable past Freemasons to get an idea of the political heritage of the craft. An organization that holds to centuries of unwavering tradition does not easily bend to the winds of “progress”.

As to Netflix, I personally prefer to know my enemy. I am not too fond of an idea, or thought gaining the element of surprise. If we avoid everything that supports the left, we would be left with a bleak existence. As the song says “it’s always your favorite sin that does you in”.  I find that people that beat the drum the loudest, are often times trying to drown out another sound. If you really are one of the very few that live completely by your convictions I applaud you, and would welcome your fellowship in lodge.

All that being said, there is only one way to have an informed opinion. I, and my brothers welcome all who seek the means to have an informed opinion.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I apologize for not addressing the segregation issue raised earlier. There are two similar, but basically the same Masonic organizations that I believe that you are referring to.

If you are speaking to racially segregated lodges they exist. In fourty two states they oficially recognize each other. And members of both organizations are welcome to sit in any lodge they wish. I have personally sat in lodges of both bodies and felt the same fellowship in either. My home lodge is in one of those fourty two states. I feel that all Freemasons are my brother regardless of the grand lodge opinion of the matter. I may not be able to sit in all lodges in the other eight states, but I would honor the obligation that is expected of me in my home state. I look at it as being akin to which table you sat at in lunch during high school.

My adopted state in the process of recognizing the other body of Freemasonry. I believe that to be a good thing. My state of birth does not recognize the other body, and that is the one thing that I am ashamed of about my birthplace. That and a particular senator I guess.

As with all groups there are different opinions about ideals. That could be considered healthy and normal. I believe we come together as a brotherhood more than we drift apart.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Those English guys look CORRECT.

Very put together compared to my (very limited) lodge experience.

I'm a very informal person generally, but I will think about stepping it up some with regards to my dress when I come to Lodge.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
We don't directly talk politics, but I'd doubt we had a single Democrat. And if we do, they're the hunting, gun-owning, truck driving kind of old-school blue collar rural Democrat. None of this SJW crap (still not ideal but better than the alternative and I don't even think we have one of those).

Are your friends Black?  I ask because most Black people are Democrats and that's the only situation I'd expect to encounter an all-Democrat lodge anywhere around here. We recognize the Prince Hall lodges in my state and Black men can join the "regular" lodges as well.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not a Mason.

I don't have Netflix.

But as closed mouth as the Masons are l don't see them making a movie/ miniseries about themselves.

So...?

An anti-Mason hit piece?

View Quote
I'm only watching the first episode as I watch this, but so far it's just an informational documentary.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am surprised about how much was actually shown on the show. Not that there is anything to hide or be ashamed of.

View Quote
I'm a very new Mason and I haven't finished watching the series yet, but so far I've seen several things shown that I was told not to discuss.

It's not a huge thing, it's all on the Internet, but I was surprised that they would show so much.
Probably trying to overcome the image of some dark, secret society.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#14]
p.s. If any U.S. brothers want to throw in a buck or two for a plane ticket I think I'm going to fly to England and make off with that sword from Episode 1.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone else notice the closing credits song for the series is a Masonic rap song?

Freemason Rap (So Mote It Be) - J Row
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not in my lodge that I know of. As a poster previously stated, if Dem, they are conservative old school.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm a very new Mason and I haven't finished watching the series yet, but so far I've seen several things shown that I was told not to discuss.

It's not a huge thing, it's all on the Internet, but I was surprised that they would show so much.
Probably trying to overcome the image of some dark, secret society.
View Quote
You can find it all on the 'net. You could find it in books before the 'net.
Men who were no longer members or respected their obligation had no issues telling all.
No matter. You can read and watch all you want, you aren't passing an examination nor getting the point of the teachings.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm only watching the first episode as I watch this, but so far it's just an informational documentary.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not a Mason.

I don't have Netflix.

So...?

An anti-Mason hit piece?

Well then.... maybe I'm wrong.

Wouldn't be the first time.  Nor the last, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I watched Ep 1 only so far.  the youngest guy I saw was the new one just starting, he said he was 40. did anybody else see anybody in their 20's or 30's??

Another 25 years that whole chapter might be gone.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#20]
As a whole the average Freemason probably is in his fourties. Mostly because younger men (and women) are time strapped raising a family and meeting obligations. The time for service to others is scarce. There is also the young men being busy being young men thing. Most men at this age are not aware of Freemasonry, and its mission.

That being said there are young men in their twenties and thirties being raised. Quite often these are young men that have a familial Masonic tradition that are aware of Freemasonry because of it. At my home lodge I had the honor of participating in the raising of an eighteen year old young man. He was raised with his father, both grandfathers, and several uncles present. One of my brothers was twenty eight  and he was instrumental in my becoming a shriner. His statement to me was “Why would I wait until after I become a father.  If I am going to raise a family, I need and want to be a better man before I am responsible for teaching children how to live.”

Of the brothers I stay in touch with regularly  over half are under thirty five. These are the brothers that I got my hands dirty with doing the lodge work. They were the brothers that were there when we re-gravelled our parking lot, and when the building needed work. I was raised in a town where I had only lived in a couple of years. So I did not have a half of a century of common experiences with the brothers my age as most did. So I mostly was there for the work, and the light of course.  I had nothing to add to the remember when conversations.

So there is a desperate need for younger brothers. They have the ability to become as valuable as any member. We can’t have the fifty year members if everyone joins after fifty like myself. We need the younger brothers if Freemasonry is to continue to uphold our traditions another three hundred years.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I watched Ep 1 only so far.  the youngest guy I saw was the new one just starting, he said he was 40. did anybody else see anybody in their 20's or 30's??

Another 25 years that whole chapter might be gone.
View Quote
My lodge has maybe 15-18 guys who show up for everything (I show up for most things but I kinda don't count because I'm brand new (doing my FC return next week and will be MM in November).

Of those people, maybe 2 are in their 20's or early 30s, and about half the rest are between 40-55 and 5 or 6 elderly.

So, we have some time before people age out, but the need for younger brothers is great. Most recruits seem to be middle aged, which is great and all, but if we could get the young guys it would be insurance for the future.

I've seen a couple of instances where they tend to join in groups (people I've known in the past).  A young guy comes in through his Dad or coworker and then a bunch of his buddies join. Not sure how the retention is on those brothers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 6:10:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm 4 episodes into it.
I think it is done pretty well. I like to see the differences and similarities between us and the English freemasons.

I do have one bone to pick though...

Why do we not have pubs in our Indiana lodges?
I feel like we are truly missing out on somthing there.

I started laughing when the one guy was getting ready for his FC degree and was nervous, so he went down the hall to polish off a pint before the ritual.  

That would have helped me a lot.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I checked it out.... seems like fun!
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Back when the History channel showed History shows they had one about Masons.

Sadly some people broke their oaths and there is a lot of information out on the internet.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm 4 episodes into it.
I think it is done pretty well. I like to see the differences and similarities between us and the English freemasons.

I do have one bone to pick though...

Why do we not have pubs in our Indiana lodges?
I feel like we are truly missing out on somthing there.

I started laughing when the one guy was getting ready for his FC degree and was nervous, so he went down the hall to polish off a pint before the ritual.  

That would have helped me a lot.
View Quote
We don't have a pub but we keep beer stocked in the fridge and some will stick around and have a couple after the meetings.

One of our local lodges is on the younger side and they are known to hang out quite late after their meetings.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My lodge has maybe 15-18 guys who show up for everything (I show up for most things but I kinda don't count because I'm brand new (doing my FC return next week and will be MM in November).

Of those people, maybe 2 are in their 20's or early 30s, and about half the rest are between 40-55 and 5 or 6 elderly.

So, we have some time before people age out, but the need for younger brothers is great. Most recruits seem to be middle aged, which is great and all, but if we could get the young guys it would be insurance for the future.

I've seen a couple of instances where they tend to join in groups (people I've known in the past).  A young guy comes in through his Dad or coworker and then a bunch of his buddies join. Not sure how the retention is on those brothers.
View Quote
The oldest member of our Lodge officer line is 44.  The youngest is 24.  The average age of our officers is 36.  The average age of the 9 men we raised last year was 38.  So far this year it's 35, but with the 4 petitions being investigated it looks like that average should rise to around 40.  The average age of our general Lodge membership has fallen from 68 two years ago to 62.  That's not insignificant with 160 members.

We have an average of 25 at every meeting.  However there were 38 at the EA degree Tuesday.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The oldest member of our Lodge officer line is 44.  The youngest is 24.  The average age of our officers is 36.  The average age of the 9 men we raised last year was 38.  So far this year it's 35, but with the 4 petitions being investigated it looks like that average should rise to around 40.  The average age of our general Lodge membership has fallen from 68 two years ago to 62.  That's not insignificant with 160 members.

We have an average of 25 at every meeting.  However there were 38 at the EA degree Tuesday.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's outstanding!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top