Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2024 3:06:05 PM EDT
I am looking for a solution to build a sandbox that has a combination of machines all on W10, W11, and/or Server 2022.
All the machines are identical laptops.  
Acronis used to be the tool I'd use, but now it's gone to subscription licensing.  I need permanent, on-prem licensing.

What I'd like to do is build up all the machines, run windows update, then back them up to an external USB drive, then use a bootable USB drive that has the "magic" software package on it.
There are no hypervisors or AD in this sandbox.  It's literally a dumb sandbox and each machine has a specific set of software installed.
Web server, NTP server, Syslog, Management machines (W10/W11).  

I am not looking for a free solution as I can license this lab as needed.  All the machines will have activated MS licensing in the image that is going to backed up.

The scenario is that I will build out this sandbox for each set of test devices from various vendors, then blast them all to bare metal and restore the backup images to the sandbox machines.  I want to have it as simple as possible so even my wife can assist in getting all the machines rebuilt.
Thoughts?  Prayers?  Any advice is welcome.  
I'm looking at Paragon and Macrium now.  I only have two machines now to test/play with.  The other machines will be here by the end of next week.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I do bare metal machine back ups with Veeam. The only downside to what you're asking is I think they are subscription licensing only.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:18:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Imzadi] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nikroft:
I do bare metal machine back ups with Veeam. The only downside to what you're asking is I think they are subscription licensing only.
View Quote

Veeam has an agent that can backup to a fileshare for free.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't want subscription licensing.  Veeam doesn't support permanent licensing anymore.  I wish I'd have kept my old copy of it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]
https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/15nysfx/backup_imaging_software_which_i_actually_can_own/

a similar discussion on reddit.
Macrium Reflect
Veeam Agent
Rescuezilla (GUI version of Clonezilla)

never used any of them.
done something similar, bootable usb but had it network to a server where the images were kept instead.
but I was doing like 10 machines at a time. so it was just easier to keep track of instead of individual usb's.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:03:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jlukem] [#5]
Originally Posted By Andrewh:
https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/15nysfx/backup_imaging_software_which_i_actually_can_own/

a similar discussion on reddit.
Macrium Reflect
Veeam Agent
Rescuezilla (GUI version of Clonezilla)

never used any of them.
done something similar, bootable usb but had it network to a server where the images were kept instead.
but I was doing like 10 machines at a time. so it was just easier to keep track of instead of individual usb's.
View Quote

What software were you using with the network image server?  That sounds exactly like what I need.

Veeam Agent is perfect.  It's working just fine, and is free.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

Veeam has an agent that can backup to a fileshare for free.
View Quote

Just found it.  The name oddly enough is Veeam Agent.  And you're right, it is free, on-prem software.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top