Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2020 12:04:41 PM EDT
My knees have been creaking going up and down stairs for about a year now.  I've cut my running by half but still do enjoy it.

To stop running is admitting defeat to aging, but I'm thinking better to admit defeat in this battle I can't win over having to have surgery down the road just so I can walk and enjoy the outdoors.

I ruck and enjoy that.  Low impact and a good workout both muscle and cardio.

Is it time to stop running and just stick with rucking?

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Jump rope?  I recall an article years ago claiming running while jumping rope at same time was a better workout and kept your joints in better shape due to less jarring.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Is swimming an option? Low impact and full body.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Removed this is not gd
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#4]
What about biking?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Does it hurt when you do that.......

.....then don’t do that  
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Nyce...
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Removed this is not gd
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]
As a doctor and lifelong runner with totally screwed up feet and knees, I'd say yes.

Find something with lower impact.

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#9]
You know how you feel.  Don't do it if it hurts.  At some point you will want to slow due to wear and tear on your body.  I would speak to your doctor and see what he says.  The wear and tear on your joints
I would think is not good.  You would need maybe to walk more than run less.  For me it seems harder
to do the same things as I did when I was younger.
Just like any type of machine our bodies wear out.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Start pumping some iron

Seriously, it's far more beneficial at 50 than running.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you do strength training? It would be good to supplement your running with it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Start pumping some iron

Seriously, it's far more beneficial at 50 than running.
View Quote

This, undoubtedly.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I don’t know if I would consider rucking low impact. It can’t be good for your back and knees though depending on weight and speed I’m sure it’s a little less impact than running.

I gave up distance running a few years ago due to knee and lower back pain. I replaced running with biking but quickly got bored.

CrossFit and BJJ are what I do now and not only do I enjoy it more, I feel the best I’ve ever felt. I’m sure it too will catch up to me but I like it and my body feels great. You should seriously give BJJ a try. Learning something new is rewarding in itself. The fact it’s great exercise is icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I see the mods don't feel like prancercise is exercise.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Stem cell on knees , keep running.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell no. Adjust the mileage and pace, but keep it up.

Stillness is death.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Stillness is death.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#18]
C2 Rower
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Stillness is death.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Ask me how I know
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What about biking?
View Quote

He's not gay.  His knees just hurt.

OP, let the pain be your guide.  If it hurts when you do that, stop doing that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My knees have been creaking going up and down stairs for about a year now.  I've cut my running by half but still do enjoy it.

To stop running is admitting defeat to aging, but I'm thinking better to admit defeat in this battle I can't win over having to have surgery down the road just so I can walk and enjoy the outdoors.

I ruck and enjoy that.  Low impact and a good workout both muscle and cardio.

Is it time to stop running and just stick with rucking?

View Quote

Ran exclusively from teens up until early 40’s.  In my mid 30’s I started noticing that my back pain was tied to my running, so I started diversifying with biking, but still ran a lot.  At my running peak i ran about 60+ miles a week, sometimes higher, probably averaged 50 miles/week for years.

Slowly but surely I stopped running and cycled exclusively with no back issues at all.  In my late 40’s I started rucking more, walking and running and completely destroyed my back within 3 months.  My doctor made it very clear to me that no man over 40 should be running for fitness, that it just breaks us and makes us flabby (he was a weight lifter).  Haven’t ran since, and just bike and i can say in all honesty that:

No back pain,
No joint issues,
No knee issues,
No side affects from the above

Nice part about biking is you still get to be and see what’s going on around you, just much much more of it
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Never stop running, but consider changing your running style. I'm not older, but I'm heavier, and I like to run. Running long distance eventually causes pain due to impact. I can however sprint my heart out and never have any pain. Most people can, as your sprinting technique differs from your running technique. I adjusted my running technique and aside from foot/calf cramps in the beginning, I haven't had any issues. I know a few others here have adopted this.

http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/5BarefootRunning&TrainingTips.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 7:55:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Just because they "creak" does not necessarily mean they are "going bad".

Stairs put your knees at an angle that can be compromising with certain conditions such as osteoarthritis.

If you had moderate to severe pain with just standing/walking, and running was even worse, my opinion would be to modify the activities.

But outside of that, I'd personally keep running.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe it's time to stop running and face whatever it is you're running from?

Kidding aside, what surfaces are you typically running on? I'm not a huge runner, but my dad's in that age group running half marathons where there are only two or three others competing. None of his running has ever been on sidewalks, for example, so I'm wondering what impact (no pun intended) the surfaces you're running on might be having.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm over 50 myself.

Since my early 40's I've been only running in the summer weather, and I do a lot of work on a nice spin bike in the winter and bad weather.  

I also quit running "fast" and I keep most runs to under 5 miles.

I also bought a used Bowflex and added more strength training.

Anyhow, cutting back and giving my body the winter off has worked for me.  YMMV.

Edit: most of my running is on trails.  Pavement is evil
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As a doctor and lifelong runner with totally screwed up feet and knees, I'd say yes.

Find something with lower impact.

View Quote

Elliptical.
The answer is an elliptical.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Elliptical.
The answer is an elliptical.
View Quote

This man speaks the truth. I have had some knee issues that resolved when I switched to the elliptical.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top