BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

His explanation was right, yes. Loading one's self with medical gear is silly for the average person. I carry a tq on person. It weighs about 3 oz and takes up almost no space. I often forget it's there. That is a reasonable thing for people who carry to do imo. Chest seals and all of the other are silly for edc gear.
View Quote
This is also true.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Meh, he asked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In light of the California shooting yesterday, how do you carry med gear on your person?

I don't.
Ya dude, everyone gets it. You don't give a shit about anything or anyone, let alone yourself.
Meh, he asked.
And no one was surprised by your response.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I’m not treating shit until the scene is secure much less running out and running back in with a med bag to an insecure scene. I may go hunting but the scene security comes first and I don’t see a single individual securing shit if it’s any more complex that a single shooter no devices.

ETA for roadside medical I’ll do what I can, but I don’t have neck braces.
View Quote
I’m off and kind of chatty, but don’t want to look like I’m arguing or speaking up when I see a hole in a statement.
Of course if it’s going on, you kill the bad guy. In the minute it takes from start to finish a TQ, how many others can this guy kill?

Kill the badguy, help the wounded.

I also understand some don’t want to. I wish more would, but it doesn’t hurt my feelings, if you don’t step up or feel useless afterwards, that’s on you.  Some here even say they will use their gun for themselves and run away. If you sleep well, that’s ok too.

I’m just going to do what I can to guide those who want it as time permits.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Absolutely agree with you, but nobody here with more than 3 brain cells is recommending such a thing.
Not only is it easy, the training is free and the gear is affordable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know this isn’t what you mean, so don’t take it as a flame, but Good Samaritan laws aren’t an excuse for getting in over your head.

If some tard shows up and tries to practice medicine he learned online with his wire hangar and stick and screws up one of my kids, Good Samaritan laws aren’t going to stop me from feeling a certain way about it.

If you’re going to get gear, get training. If you’re not going to get training, don’t get gear. People needing critical care don’t need larpers.
Absolutely agree with you, but nobody here with more than 3 brain cells is recommending such a thing.
Not only is it easy, the training is free and the gear is affordable.
I figured we were on the same page here, and this thread has been pretty tame but given how many times I’ve seen guys with zero training talking about their decompression needles and fish antibiotics in their first aid kits, it’s worth saying.

And if anyone missed it, there are links a little farther up on this page (eta, on page 3) where you can find the training you need for free or next to free.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’m off and kind of chatty, but don’t want to look like I’m arguing or speaking up when I see a hole in a statement.
Of course if it’s going on, you kill the bad guy. In the minute it takes from start to finish a TQ, how many others can this guy kill?

I also understand some don’t want to. I wish more would, but it doesn’t hurt my feelings, if you don’t step up or feel useless afterwards, that’s on you.  Some here even say they will use their gun for themselves and run away. If you sleep well, that’s ok too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m not treating shit until the scene is secure much less running out and running back in with a med bag to an insecure scene. I may go hunting but the scene security comes first and I don’t see a single individual securing shit if it’s any more complex that a single shooter no devices.

ETA for roadside medical I’ll do what I can, but I don’t have neck braces.

Oh I get it. I wish I could carry (work rules) and or have medical supplies close to hand but since some thievery went down I don’t at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#6]
And if I’m out and about off work I’m probably drinking and that’s a whole nother ball of wax
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I don’t.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Ryker AFAK is a simple and non intrusive way to carry the bare essentials for first aid.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/40084/20190424_144958_jpg-928813.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/40084/20190424_144945_jpg-928814.JPG
View Quote
That looks extremely uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Last summer I did cpr on a guy in the middle of a 6 lane highway. Shit happens, he died. I wish I would have had gloves with me because I did get his body fluids on me.
View Quote
Traumatic CPR has 0% chance of survival.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32167/08EBFA0E-554E-4AE8-BF5C-2FB244A8C2D9-713666.jpg

You have to differentiate what scenario you are planning for. End of the world and you and yours are all in armor and helmets, or around town where torso injuries will be more plentiful?

Pulse night club:
View Quote
So there's an active shooter in the nightclub with you, and you're telling me that you will try to put tourniquets on people instead of getting out of there?

If you remember, the shooter stayed in the club until he was killed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The shot person may be you.
View Quote
I get that. You won't be applying a chest seal to yourself.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Ryker AFAK is a simple and non intrusive way to carry the bare essentials for first aid.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/40084/20190424_144958_jpg-928813.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/40084/20190424_144945_jpg-928814.JPG
I hardly notice it anymore. It's not like this stuff weighs a ton.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Seems kind of impractical to be carrying a trauma kit on you at all times for the minuscule chance you are where a mass shooting happens. Like others have said learn to improvise, adapt and overcome. You can make a tourniquet and chest seal out of everyday items. It’s not like EMS and emergency services are going to be hours away. Get some training, that’s probably the best thing you can do.
View Quote
They likely could be if it takes time to clear the scene and sort things out.

People waited for awhile at pulse nightclub and if I recall there was likely numerous people who bled out because of the delay in treatment.

But I do understand not wanting to carry the kitchen sink for the small chance if may be needed. You can't be prepared for everything, all the time its not practical.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
We retrospectively reviewed 124 adult patients with TCA over a period of 5 years (July 2010 to June 2014). Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) occurred either in the field, en route, or in the emergency department at our Level I Trauma Center. Patients' demographics, clinical data, CPR-related variables, and outcomes were extracted from both the electronic and paper medical records.
RESULTS:
The median age of the group was 37 (IQR 38), and the median ISS was 37 (IQR 50). The most common cardiac rhythm observed was pulseless electrical activity (PEA, 55%). While 31.4% of patients achieved a return of spontaneous circulation (ROSC), only 7.3% survived with a complete neurological recovery
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So there's an active shooter in the nightclub with you, and you're telling me that you will try to put tourniquets on people instead of getting out of there?

If you remember, the shooter stayed in the club until he was killed.
View Quote
I’m not sure I understand.
I am a customer,
A cop or a medic?

If all goes well,
As a customer, I kill bad guy, fix booboos and fuck the hot chick.

As a cop, I kill the bad guy or the other cops cover the bathroom he is in and when there are enough guns on the area, I fall back and treat wounded. I wink at hot chick on way out.

As a medic, as soon as shooter is pinned down, I go in as RTF protocol into the warm zone and treat wounded.i then rip off my vest, strike my best fireman calendar pose and fuck two hot chicks.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I get that. You won't be applying a chest seal to yourself.
View Quote
It’s a fucking big sticker, if I am conscious and I can reach the exit on my back, why not?
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I would believe that. But I’m not in Iraq. I’m in Salt Lake City. I just have to slow the flow long enough that I can get the esmarch tourniquet from my car and wait for paramedics. Pressure on a large artery in conjunction with a tourniquet is more than enough to slow it down long enough for help to arrive. I ain’t carrying all that gear every day so that I can operate like a medic.

Also if you are tying a belt as a tourniquet then you are improvising wrong. Give me a wire hanger and a stick and I’ll stop all blood flow
View Quote
Where the hell are you going to come across one of those out in public besides at Wamart?
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The point is that I’m not gonna carry a cat tourniquet on my body. And you are right a wire tourniquet is an amputation. It’s just an example with the point being that belts make shitty tourniquets. I could use my fucking stethoscope to make a tourniquet if I had to but the whole point is that I’m not gonna waste my time carrying tourniquets around when I live in an area that’s not a war zone. Plus if you are in a situation where you have a tourniquet put on to stop bleeding limb salvage is not the priority. So amputation is not a bad outcome depending on how bad the limb is.
View Quote
So you carry a stethoscope around on you?   And you can have an arterial bleed that doesn't result in amputation.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe I should have been more precise. A blunt trauma CPR, such as one in the middle of a highway, has 0% chance of survival.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm not sure I understand.
I am a customer,
A cop or a medic?

If all goes well,

As a cop, I kill the bad guy or the other cops cover the bathroom he is in and when there are enough guns on the area, I fall back and treat wounded. I wink at hot chick on way out.

As a medic, as soon as shooter is pinned down, I go in as RTF protocol into the warm zone and treat wounded.i then rip off my vest, strike my best fireman calendar pose and fuck two hot chicks.
View Quote
I'm not sure that you're familiar with what the Pulse nightclub was
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty girls trust and hang out with them...

Link Posted: 4/29/2019 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Maybe I should have been more precise. A blunt trauma CPR, such as one in the middle of a highway, has 0% chance of survival.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In blunt injury patients, the mortality rate after CPR was higher in motor-vehicle-related injuries than falls from heights (93.1 vs 72.3%, OR 5.06, 95% CI 0.95-27.0, p?<?0.05).
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 11:14:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

People waited for awhile at pulse nightclub and if I recall there was likely numerous people who bled out because of the delay in treatment.

But I do understand not wanting to carry the kitchen sink for the small chance if may be needed. You can't be prepared for everything, all the time its not practical.
View Quote
And exactly how many people are going to be carrying a tq or chest seal in a gay nightclub?
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I’m not sure I understand.
I am a customer,
A cop or a medic?

If all goes well,

View Quote
I shoulda been a fireman.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 11:16:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
And exactly how many people are going to be carrying a tq or chest seal in a gay nightclub?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few with survivable wounds probably wished they had a TQ with the skill to use it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 11:16:57 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty girls trust and hang out with them...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32167/F450023A-2B4F-4CE8-B834-8AF42620255F-903139.jpg
Correct
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cock rings and dental dams.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I shoulda been a fireman.
View Quote
I should have stayed a fireman.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 11:22:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't. If there is more blood than a simple band-aid can take care of, I'll probably get light headed and pass out anyways. I'll keep my distance and let the EMTs take care of things...
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#31]
I always carry a little bit of medical on me and I've had some training on how to use it.  A tourniquet, a bit of H&H compressed gauze, some flat medical tape, nitrile gloves.  It doesn't weigh that much and it doesn't take up that much space.

I usually keep it in pockets.  Sometime I'll attach the tourniquet to my belt, it depends what I'm wearing.  I carry a gun and I have a family.  I can't fix everything but at least I have a chance to save a loved one.  If that's silly to some of you then so be it.  Laugh it up
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 1:01:09 AM EDT
[#32]
I just carry guns and mags to shoot my way to safety.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 6:24:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Where are you citing those numbers from? I've never seen a blunt force CPR survive.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 7:31:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Given the frequency of shootings like this, going to your vehicle and back is not going to be much faster than the folks we pay and train to administer appropriate medical triage and care.
View Quote
Shannon Watts, is that you?
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 7:41:42 AM EDT
[#35]
This shit's getting out of hand.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Where are you citing those numbers from? I've never seen a blunt force CPR survive.
View Quote
I had to search for papers published on the subject.
Never say never...Never!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I will kindly and humbly disagree with you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 12:17:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I had to search for papers published on the subject.
Never say never...Never!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
View Quote
It's all fun and games until someone says "evidence-based medicine."  

@fisherad1 might have input on traumatic CPR in civilian prehospital settings.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 1:07:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is where i found it if you want to take a look.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29177620
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not a lot of saves in traumatic arrest. In some cases, it may be worth an effort to push blood and do REBOA.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Why do that when you could carry things that could actually save you or someone else’s life in the same size package?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Couple  of ziplock bags with tampons, maxi pads, and a flattened roll of duct tape in my cargo pocket.
Why do that when you could carry things that could actually save you or someone else’s life in the same size package?
Maybe he just has a very heavy flow?
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last summer I did cpr on a guy in the middle of a 6 lane highway. Shit happens, he died. I wish I would have had gloves with me because I did get his body fluids on me.
If that was one of my kids or family I'd hope someone gave it a shot. If need be I'd do it again.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He had a heart attack I think. It was a monsoon and the road was flooded under a overpass. We were sitting there as people were trying to go in reverse on a four lane road. I heard a lady screaming and pointing at a car. I saw him slumped over in his car. When I got his 275 pound ass out of the car I got his piss and shit on my hand.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Have a trauma kit with tq and quikclot in a pocket. Always wear 5.11 stryke pants, each pair has an identicle kit in the same pocket.
View Quote
I wear the same kind of pants. Keep a small med kit in one pocket.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I typically walk around in gym shorts or joggers and a t-shirt. If I'm going somewhere decent it would be jeans and a v-neck or polo. Bodyguard .380 or Glock 43.

No room to comfortably carry a med kit or even TK. The probability of needing those items or even a gun is incredibly slim as it is. Situational awareness is key IMO.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Outside of work, the only time I carry any med supplies is while I am hiking
View Quote
 ditto.

Something in both cars though.   Actually used my TQ at work last week, then got the artery controlled and removed it.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top